Vistage International

Updated January 18, 2015
3.7

Vistage International CEO Leon Shapiro
Leon Shapiro

Where can a 65 year old remain relevant and continue to give back to his or her community?

Current Employee - VISTAGE Group Chairman in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - VISTAGE Group Chairman in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vistage International as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been a group chair since 2006 and our noble work creates overwhelming "added value" to those business owners and C-level members that give in order to get. We are not for everyone yet those who are selected, remain for many years and most if not all grow as leaders and improve both their top and bottom line.

Cons

If a business isn't growing today, it is dying and just doesn't know it yet. Headquarters in San Diego have dedicated employees wanting to make a difference. New owners are experiencing growing pains which will correct itself in time.

Keep trying new ways to reach the small to mid size business owner. Believe in your senior chair leadership because they are your key to opening up this treasure chest.

I went through the vetting process to become a Chair Coach.It was rigorous and thought provoking. Overall good.

Current Employee - Chair Coach in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Chair Coach in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Vistage International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Just getting started...so far so good. The company is best practices oriented and seems to be interested in continuous service elevation.

Cons

At times the vetting process seemed to lose momentum and I needed to provide stimulus for updating. That i did not especially feel good about.

Make sure the team's workload can equal the individual satisfaction and company success desired.

Management

Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vistage International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization is unbelievable. If you stay focused and get results, Vistage is a fantastic place to work. New team is walking the talk and intending to be more transparent.

Cons

High standards are expected. Bars are being raised and folks have to willing to work hard.

Stay focused, transparent and recognize big wins!

Churn Factory

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer Group Chair in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer Group Chair in Dallas, TX

I worked at Vistage International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to build a practice for yourself.

Cons

The company churns potential chairs like crazy. They flood the market and play the odds that someone will stick and then take the leads from those that don't and feed them to the one who does. Some of the existing chairs are not helpful and it is a closed door club until you become successful.

Invest more time and energy in making chairs launch successfully by driving leads and interest and stop flooding the markets with potential chairs.

Becoming a Vistage Chairman is a great opportunity

Current Employee - VISTAGE Chairman in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - VISTAGE Chairman in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vistage International as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

VISTAGE provides everything you need to run a successful business

Cons

Difficult to launch a group without access to a large network

Pick chairs with business development experience

Great all around organization!

I have been working at Vistage International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work that we do actually has a tremendous positive impact on everyone involved from the employee's, to the Chairs through the members, which feels great if you are purpose driven and want to be proud of what your employer does for the greater community.

Cons

None. Maybe I am easy to please but Vistage has been nothing less than great to me, I love this place.

Perhaps I'm easy to work with and in a great department, so all of my supervisors have been a true pleasure and have become people I can enjoy time with in and outside of work.

Great people, good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vistage International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Although Vistage is not well known around the world, because we are unique in what we do. It is the best company I have worked so far. People here are really great, sure there's always politics, and interest of conflict, but Vistage encourage people, respect people. I have great work and life balance here. The company also have great training program and fun activity for their employees, such as annual picnic in the summer, annual christmas party, Del Mar race track and etc. I feel easy and comfortable come to work everyday and have been happy for the past 2 years I worked here.

Cons

A unique industry sometimes it's hard to explain to other people. Opportunity to learn is limited as the company is small.

Keep up with the great work and culture!! Continue value your employees like you do now. Create a more dynamic business segment in which we can thrive in a long run.

Caution - Be Aware

Current Employee - Membership Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vistage International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of great employees (individual contributors), Interesting work, great Chairs and CEO customers (members). The CEO Peer group leaders, called chairs, are independent contractors and are generally caring and dedicated to the success of the CEOs who are members of their teams.

Cons

Sweatshop run by two-faced unscrupulous management that promises more than you will ever earn and they will find every little loop-hole to avoid paying commissions and bonuses. If you have candid conversations with any of the chairs, or just about any past empoyee, they will tell you how screwed up the San Diego organization really is.

Practice what you preach. Also actually acting and leading ethically would be a great start.

Amazing culture and a firm of true believers.

Current Employee - Middle Management
    Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at Vistage International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture. Open t innovation. Belief in Devlopment of Everyone. Promotes from within. The services offered truly change lives n a positive way.

Cons

People are stretched hard. Collaborative culture to a fault. Sometimes tough to get a green light.

Simplify structure

Good company that gives you lots of independence

Former Employee - Chair in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Chair in Washington, DC

I worked at Vistage International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good, strong values. Great colleagues from all over the world.

Cons

You will spend most of your time marketing looking for new members rather than servicing current members.

Vistage International Photos