Vistage International Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Vistage will push you to the next level. Bright peers, incredible personal and career development!

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

The status quo at Vistage is overachieving, but in a good way. We've consistently grown 15%, 8%, and 8% in the last three years. You can't ask for better performance and stability.

The norm for employees is to get your MBA at night. You can learn from virtually any of your peers because they are so bright and collaborative. Essentially Vistage is in the business of providing professional development to CEOs, business owners, and executives, so they expect world class customer service and performance from their employees. If you can deliver, the rewards are amazing, not just in compensation but in personal and career development.

Just named one of the TOP 125 training companies in the WORLD by Training Magazine, the opportunity to learn and grow yourself professionally is unparalleled. They leverage what they provide their members for their employees. The amount of revenue they spend in developing their employees and their business coaches is quite rare but it allows them to provide the very best in what's current and new.

The On-boarding of new employees is world class. Not only do you get a nice welcome basket, but you also get assigned a PAL, a buddy from another department to take you to lunch and help navigate your first couple months. You also have the chance to meet with every single department on your first day, so by day two, you already have a bunch of friends and familiar faces.

Overall, I am proud to work for Vistage and intend to have a long career with the company.

Cons

There is a lot of change, but you have to realize that it's good change. Everyday we have CEOs and C-level executives discussing in groups how best to deal with the economy and how to thrive in the new normal. So wouldn't it make sense that Vistage would leverage this knowledge and make changes to anticipate and stay ahead of the market trends?

You have to roll with the punches. If you do, you'll realize you're a better person and professional because of it.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Vistage knows what they're doing. Sometimes there can be a disconnect between headquarters and the Business Coaches in the field, but overall we're in it together.

Most of us work at Vistage because we believe in our mission. We believe that if we can help leaders and CEOs of companies, we can make a difference. If a CEO is happy and able to grow his/her company, he/she is providing jobs and essentially driving the economy.

Some people say we're a little company that thinks we're solving world hunger. I say, what's wrong with that? We believe in what we do and we're passionate about it. That's a good reason to come to work everyday.

Great place to work for professional growth

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

- For someone starting out in their career it's a great learning environment; surrounded by CEO's, talented staff and seasoned professionals.
    - Work environment pushes each employee to do their best.
    - Great benefits and friendly co-workers.
    - Can really see the benefits of Vistage when I talk to Members or Chairs... If I had my own business I would join Vistage because I can truly see it help CEOs with problems they might be having in their company or just to grow as individuals.

Cons

- Ideas have to go through multiple levels to be put into action. If you're a creative or innovative individual, you have to be patient to see you're ideas be utilized.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know all of your employees- knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your employees will go a long way and help to create new innovative ideas. By focusing on the strengths of your employees you will help feed innovation and creativity because employees will enjoy the tasks they are given and try to excel at their performance.

Important, valuable, satisfying work. Great co-workers. Company is making market-driven changes.

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Vistage is focused on helping the SME business owner or leader with improving their ability to manage and grow their business AND with improving and maintaining their life balance. The company is in the midst of making fairly massive structural changes (after 54 years in business). This means that department responsibilities have changed, impacting many employees. While the company tried hard to work with employees who were impacted, some who couldn't (or wouldn't) function in the new environment were let go. The good thing here is that the company made the tough changes and focused on the important things that needed to get done in order to survive and grow.

The fact that this strategy worked was reflected in the fact that an across-the-board raise (albeit small) was given to all employees in October reflecting the fact that the company is strong in the midst of the recession and management wanted to reward the employees who created that strength.

At least quarterly the company holds "all hands" meetings that share financial results, important news from various departments around the company and recognizes employee achievements. There are at least half a dozen significant employee awards that are given out every year including Rookie of the year, Emerging leader, Most valuable etc, etc.

Cons

There is a ton of work to do. I've been with the company several years and there is still a group of long-term employees who show up at 8:39, take an hour and fifteen minutes for lunch and leave at 4:50. Many of those people who spent years at headquarters when it was more of a country club atmosphere were swept out over the last couple of years. These were also the employees who most resisted making the changes that Vistage desperately needed to make to survive.

As newer employees have come in this has improved since many more employees are open and anxious to change. By the way, the turnover has never been 65% - that number is just flat wrong. (I know, I see the numbers). There was a year when it approached 30% but that was an atypical spike when some of the massive changes were being made.

Generally management is very supportive of a balanced work/life with the exception of the very top level where it is not unusual to receive an instruction over the weekend with an expectation that it will be completed by Monday morning. But this happens at the executive level and it rarely bleeds down to the "ranks". And yeah, I know for sure because I am often that last one out of the building so I know who is here working late and who isn't. In general if you fired a cannon down the hallway at 6:00 PM you wouldn't hurt anybody and for sure you wouldn't before 8:00 AM. Again, I'm not sure what the other reviewer is talking about.

Advice to Management

Executive management seems to suffer from a "flavor of the month" mentality; starting a new project every month and then not following through. Although this has improved dramatically in the last couple of years it should still be an area of attention. Pick the critical few, focus on them, follow through.

Career with PURPOSE

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Located near Del Mar Torrey Hills, and La Jolla, Vistage is a beautiful place to work. I love having passionate co-workers who are bright and innovative. There is a sense we are doing something good, to help better people and the companies they run.

Cons

You must be open to change, and like all companies in 2010, doing more with less.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring top talent.

I hope to be here a long time...

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

The company has been around a long time but they are just now starting to grow beyond their initial model. The management is open to change and growth and it has been really great about communicating the future plans. The level of interaction with the Chair community, the partners and the members has grown exponentially in just the last couple of months with the addition of a private social network for everyone to work in. I would highly recommend Vistage for anyone interested in a great place to work.

Cons

There was recently some shift in the corporate structure that could have been handled better. The need to change was there but it left some residual unease amongst employees. Little by little management has been working to alleviate the worries but with these kind of things it just takes time. The company also needs to work on being communicating directly with members to find out what they want rather than waiting for the Chair community to pass on the message on behalf of members. The Chairs tend to change the message to suit themselves and what gets delivered isn't in the best interest of the member, who is the life blood of the company.

Advice to Management

Be more available

7. Long hours and lot's of "face-time" expected. Lot's of turnover, especially senior management.

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Pay and titles are decent. Purpose of the work is noble. Most Chairs are great. Great work location in class A building. Many hard working employees. Good openness about financials with employees.

Cons

Expectations of long work hours (face time) has grown in recent years. New York style of work (whatever that means) has been included as part of the screening process for new employees. Business is not scalable in current format. Too dependent on Chairs for sales.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and dignity. Retain the goodwill of people as they depart the company.

Practice what you preach!

Current Employee - Chair in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chair in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Reputation of the organization is good, the name is reasonably well respected in the market. Educational programs are good to excellent. Chair community is truly a gift to the world. Very unselfish, sharing, caring, dedicated group of individuals. Resource speakers are excellent. HQ administrative assistance to chairs is good. If you've made your number, it's a wonderful way to stay involved and contribute and make some good money.

Cons

Economic model benefits the company more than the chair. Virtually no effective sales support after starting the initial group. Chair community is more a set of competitors than collaborators and the economic model supports that process. The online presence has gone downhill in the last two years.

Advice to Management

There is tons of competition out there and we need to be more effective at attracting and retaining members for the chairs who've been successful.

Vistage Best Company for People who Work Hard, Care Deeply, and Do Good

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

One word, the people. Vistage is doing well even in a tough market because they anticipate and adapt to change. Its 50 year old business model is conprofitable. Its management is smart and strategic. Its people are hard working and talented. What a great place for people who are committed to personal growth and who want to contribute by helping others make the world a better place. The management is open with communication so you always know how the company is doing. Compensation is above average for San Diego especially if you take into account the really great benefits package even when so many other companies have cut back. At Vistage, you can see new opportunities and redesign your job around that which can lead to a promotion. You don't have to wait for an HR department to create a career path for you to grow.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard, don't work at Vistage. If you like to grow from hard work on a really smart team with people who are willing to stare down any challenges without flinching, then Vistage is for you. Its not a place that just focuses on face time which is good and means that people can have dinner with their family at night, but you have to be willing to define your goals and deliver results.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic goals and remember to celebrate progress.

Vistage members are better leaders, make better decisions, and produce better results.

Current Employee - Chair in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Chair in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Independence and personal and professional growth. Relationships that are based on trust and give and take. The workshop leaders are excellent and the website is "a treasure". The training Vistage provides for the Chairs and its employees is very complete and excellence is expected at all levels.

Cons

Starting a new group is difficult and takes patience an perseverence. It requires a network, a good to great communication skill set, and the ability to engage and listen to people. It requires an understanding of the value of Vistage to a prospect and how to communicate that.
    This is all a downside as it must be understood before entertaining being a Chair.

Advice to Management

Maintain the member services and website and the training.

Great opportunities for those willing to put in the work

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Great career opportunities for those willing to work hard. Not a place for those desiring to simply collect a paycheck, very lean organization that rewards it's top performers. Pay is very competitive and the company has been in business for 50 years. Commitment to technology towards advancing the mission is above par for most companies. Good benefits package, ample time off, good work life balance.

Cons

Can be challenging at times, due to the fact that so much is expected of employees.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time enjoying success.

RSS Feed </> Embed