Vistaprint

Vistaprint Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane

Robert S. Keane

Pros:
  • "Pretty reasonable work-life balance compared to other companies"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Archaic code base and software development practices"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

company is going down hill

Solution Architect (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

Prossolid pay, easy to get promoted if you are politically savvy, tough to get fired as they hold on to dead wood employees for a long time

ConsCompany is going down hill. Growth rate is declining, costs are increasing, and attrition is picking up in a big way. I suspect upper management is trying to sell the company.

Smart people, lots of autonomy

Technologist (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

Pros- Software development is done The Right Way, and when it isn't, corrections are made
    - Access to preferred tools and software without having to fight through red tape
    - Flexible working hours and arrangements
    - Generous PTO allocations
    - Management is listening to people when they say they want opportunities to move laterally

Cons- Change comes slowly at large organizations.
    - Good ideas don't always win out, though they often do. (It helps to have a well-connected champion if you want to change something.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTying performance bonuses for lower-level people to company performance is a bit of a head-scratcher, particularly when the economic situation is Europe is largely to blame for underperformance. There's nothing Vistaprint can really do to move the needle much here.

Company invested in growth of young, talented employees

Marketing Senior Specialist (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsVistaprint is invested in retaining and growing talent. You will be surrounded by great minds!

ConsThe company is getting larger quickly, which risks a slower pace of change (albeit still relatively fast)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was frustrating because it strenous work

ProsGreat atmosphere and the company really cares

Conslong hours and you barely get to have a personal life

Flag Review
    Vistaprint Vistaprint - Talent Acquisition responded to this review May 1, 2013 EditDelete
    Flexibility of work hours varies depending on location and function. Generally speaking, most employees agree that Vistaprint provides them with the flexibility they need, aiding them with a ... More

Playing favorites causes low morale

Lexington, MA

ProsSome great people, free drinks, work/life balance if you have proven yourself, IT team is helpful

ConsA lot of poor managers, nonperformers are kept around too long, promotions come frequently for some (and not always on merit), management doesn't have a good handle on what is going on at the mid and lower levels, morale seems the lowest it has been since I've been at the company

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with your team. Check in once in a while at the morale rather than waiting until someone leaves to take a pulse.

Great company. Challenging culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsBeautiful campus with state of the art tools to work with. Great opportunities for the right person and the pay is good. Very successful company with few layoffs. Benefits are very good and they have a nice program that gives employees a 5 week "break" after they've worked there for 5 years. This is in addition to regular vacation time so it's really a sweet deal if you hang in there that long. They have a solid sales record and are constantly improving and building on their product line.

ConsDuring my tenure there I witnessed a lot of turnover. The company was still fairly young and roles and responsibilities were shifting constantly. This created considerable tension in many areas within the company and corporate politics were an ever present dark cloud overhead. They also used a 360º Review process that allowed anyone to submit feedback for any fellow employee. Not good in a politically charged environment where many individuals were competing for the opportunity to move up. I suspect others would paint a brighter picture of life there and I suspect others would paint a darker one but I would go in knowing that there will be politics, be absolutely sure you're fully ready to hit the deck running and expect your job to change regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe 360º review process was causing undue friction and was also a 3 month process that cost the company much time and, I suspect, a few good employees. Take a good hard look at what it is really doing for the company and either modify it or stop using it.

Great Company to work for

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsInnovative, fast-paced, young, friendly, growing

ConsLimited resources so projects often don't get completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on business cards. We know we're a public company and need to meet our projections but what are we going to do when the digital age fully takes over?

Vistaprint is a high growth company with lots of potential, but severe leadership challenges

Lexington, MA

ProsMany very, very smart people to work with. Lots of innovative work to do. Huge market potential. Competitive salaries.

ConsConstant reorganization (every couple of months) results in chaos and low morale. People don't know what their job will be next month, or in some cases, whether it will even still be there after the next reorg.

Lack of strategic focus causes too much turmoil. No sooner does the executive team finally announce a 3-5 year strategy than it goes out the window so we can work on short-term revenue initiatives.

The board needs to spin off a startup to give to the current CEO, who is a startup CEO (he founded the company). Great guy, great startup CEO, but he is not capable of running a multi-billion dollar company -- his attention span is too short.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus, focus, focus.

An incredible place to grow, learn and change the world!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClear strategy, direction and guiding principles. Strong culture of performance in which people are measured and held accountable. As long as they execute, company is well positioned for success.

ConsIt's not as easy to move the company as it once was, nor are the mechanisms in place to stay small while the company gets big. Strong bias to action in culture is important -- don't let it get lost in decision paralysis.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in people. Make sure that the culture doesn't change as the people do.

Great opportunity to learn and be part of a great community.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsLearn the industry - Project span a large variety of areas. This exposure sets you up for success at other companies. But it also exposes you to many different skill sets and allows you to select which area you want to focus on.

Open environment - At any level, you are able to share your opinions in any meeting and ask any questions. It is really nice to be able to just ask the CMO or a VP a question.

Smart people - Analysts at vistaprint come from top schools and are very smart, ambitious and being promoted quickly. It is great to be challenged by your peers and learn from them everyday. The analysts also have a great community.

Work/Life Balance - While there will be days you need to stay late for a deadline, for the most part you are able to set your own schedule as long as you get your work done.

What's next - While obviously a sensitive area, the outside respect for Vistaprint analysts really validates your decision to work here.

ConsChange- Since we have grown so fast, we seem to just be adding more products and features to the site without a real structure. The website needs a serious revamp and modernization in order to compete moving forward and change seems to happen slowly.

Growth - The growth the company has been able to achieve is slowing and as the company expands it adds more process and slows change. It also means that there is more separation between you and the leadership.

Talent- While I think there is still very good talent within analytics, vistaprint definitely focuses on making sure they have the best talent for some areas and not others. And I worry that as the company grows, it will be harder to attract and maintain entrepreneurial talent which it has had success with in the past. There are also too many marketers for how much work can be done by the development team.

Worked for Vistaprint? Contribute to the Community!

Vistaprint Videos

Vistaprint – Why Work for Us?

One of The Biggest Things to Ever Happen to Small Businesses. Founded in 1995 and having launched our first commercial website in 2000, Vistaprint is an e-commerce pioneer and the world’s leading online design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vistaprint reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vistaprint CEO Robert S. Keane. All 123 reviews posted anonymously by Vistaprint employees.