Vistaprint Reviews in Lexington, MA

Updated September 1, 2014
3.4

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • Pretty reasonable work-life balance compared to other companies (in 11 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 7 reviews)

• Archaic code base and software development practices (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Growth:
    There's a great deal of talented engineers that work here. Getting in touch with the right people will open up opportunities for a great advancement in your career. Many people are very friendly and approachable.

In my specific case, I had a team that really cared for me. They made sure I wasn't working long hours and made sure that I was comfortable with the amount of work I was being given. I'm sure that if I asked for more or less work they would've made that adjustment for me.

Work/Life balance:
    Being an intern, I was tied to a 40-hour work week, but I do know that some salaried members would go over that time in order to meet deadlines. I'm sure the balance is variable among teams, but I had an overall good experience with the balance.

Culture:
    As an intern, I had the opportunity to meet many of the executives at Vistaprint, as well as partake in various intern events that were quite fun. We even had an opportunity to see one of their manufacturing plants!

There's weekly happy hours known as "The View", where employees can get together and relax once the week is finally coming to a close.

I like the direction that the company is taking. I'm excited to see the changes that are being made and the reasoning behind these changes. Re-organizations also mean that teams will be more tight-knit than what they were before, which will allow them to better collaborate. This will in turn increase efficiency of all members across the board.

Cons

Upper Management:
    There needs to be a closer tie between upper management and developers. Although there are attempts to be on the same page about progress on various projects, I believe that a little more effort can be made. However, it does seem like the company in general is moving in a direction that will make it easier for these parties to interact, which is great.

Take a look at who isn't pulling their own weight. Micro-managing isn't a good thing, but sometimes it's necessary to step in to make sure that you have an idea of what's actually going on.

Great company, great culture, interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned with Vistaprint over the summer of 2014, and it was pretty awesome. The team I worked on was very supportive and helpful, the problems I had to take on were tough, but really interesting... but best of all was the culture. Vistaprint, compared to a lot of other software development companies, is full of relaxed people who will work hard to get stuff done to make all the products, from our website to all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but are very relaxed about it. Work/life balance is awesome - managers set a great example of this.
    I don't know if it's necessarily a place I'd settle in forever, but it'd for sure be a solid first job to gain some experience and do some really cool stuff.

Cons

The company is currently working on some major reorganization initiatives, and as a result, sometimes things can be a little confusing (like when your team name changes)... I've also heard a lot about managers who aren't so great, but I have had no experience with that yet.
    But the upside is that they're working on it and improving it.

The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place

Former Employee - Director  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great atmosphere and people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people there were great - still keep in touch with a bunch, including my old boss. Beer on Friday's a great place to talk to people and get good opinions

Cons

Tough to move up, which is one of the reasons that I left. There were definitely some people that had been there for a long time, doing the same job, which is one thing I did not want to look back upon in 8 - 10 years.

My one concern is that I have heard through my friends that still work there that they are going through some middle - management layoffs. This is the kind of thing that was absolutely out of the question while I was there - everybody happy, needed, and secure in their roles. It seems that going public might have pushed the company into "how can we improve short term bottom line" mode...

Create a culture where advancement and career track is clear and visible.

A great place to learn e-commerce

Former Employee - Creative  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vistaprint offers a great environment for entry level or younger workers. Weekly happy hours with free food are a great draw for those in their 20s. I've also never worked in such a large company where the young co-workers are so tight. Many of them vacation together, live together, and go through all of their career and major life events together. In that way, this is an excellent company for those who want to come in young and build roots that will last for a lifetime.

Cons

Frequently changing leadership was a disappointment for me. We would form a group, gel, build momentum...and then things would change again. After doing it a few times, it got very old and prevented us from moving forward.

Keep an eye on those who manage people to make sure they are managing down -- as well as "managing up."

Great fun company with plenty of challenging jobs

Former Employee - Marketing Analytics  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analytics in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work atmosphere, smart colleagues, benefits. The culture is great. The company also provides free weekly breakfast and a bi weekly food trucks lunch.

Cons

There have been a number of re-orgs and the company is still trying to find the right org structure.

Join the circus, then leave as soon as possible.

Former Employee - Developer  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

- free coffee and soda
    - food trucks every other week
    - beer on Friday

Cons

Where to begin? This place is an absolute circus. They go through company-wide reorganizations every 6 to 8 months because they can't find a successful formula. Most recently they axed the majority of their QA and Ops department so they could free up funds to hire more developers -- except any developer worth their salt wouldn't want to work in this environment. As a developer, do you enjoy working on new, cutting edge things? Too bad, at Vistaprint you'll spend the majority of your time working on legacy systems that has little to no documentation. Hope you like technology refreshes, aren't they fun and challenging?!

The executives are inept and ill-equipped to do their jobs, and the middle and upper management are largely composed of sycophants. The CEO is a non-entity, descending once a year from his luxury office in Paris to parade in front of the various offices, patting himself on the back self-congratulatorily, only to vanish for another year with nary a sight nor sound. He has no interest in the floundering core business -- only new ideas.

Touching on company performance and environment, it's a morose place at the moment. Ever since their mind-boggling pricing changes, they've been hemorrhaging, and it's plainly evident in the atmosphere. The employees know that something is seriously wrong, and only the most ardent Kool-aid drinkers are oblivious. Does a healthy company eliminate 90% of their QA staff?

To the more practical -- the office is an overcrowded dump, but that should change upon completion of their multi-million dollar new office down the street -- which I'm sure they couldn't afford, but are doing anyway. Parking is a problem, so if you don't want to show up an hour early, be prepared to drop your car off with a valet and wait 30 minutes to get it when you're ready to leave. Though maybe with all the layoffs, there's now more parking space available?

If you absolutely must work here, put in your two years, get it on your resume while the company still has any semblance of name power, and then get the hell out. Vistaprint gets poached aggressively by other, better companies, because those companies know that many Vistaprint employees are miserable and desperate to leave.

Dump the inept management. Identify and eliminate the sycophants. Encourage the CEO to give a damn about his company instead of his next big idea.

Brilliant as a startup, had a rough transition, is now coming into it's own as a larger company.

Current Employee - Manager, Quality Engineering  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Quality Engineering in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

World class engineering - work with the best.
    Great benefits - free lunches, work from home, etc. All the standards for a top-flight software company.
    Willing to take risks and change when needed.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like the organization can't get out of it's own way. I attribute this to the fact that the company is learning how to be a big company. So many of the processes and cultural aspects are leftover from when the company was ~100 developers. Those processes have not scaled well, which means sometimes little things are big headaches. The most frustrating thing is when small decisions have 5+ decision makers who all disagree and nobody has decision rights. That said - the company is aware of the issue and is actively working to fix it. Some things just take time.

Be bold. Don't be afraid to be extreme. The business value is compelling, and the engineering talent is present. Just get out of the way and let teams be teams.

Worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Manager  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and bonuses. Some very smart people. Nice-looking building and free drinks in the kitchens.

Cons

Political nightmare. You need to mimic what management says or you are viewed and treated like a black sheep. They are not open to new ideas. No respect for people's experience. They love to take newly minted graduates out of school and mold them ("brainwash" them) to their views. Inexperienced people are made managers of departments and people three years into their careers. Spent the worst two years of my career there. Meetings all day long then you need to work eight hours at night to do "real work."

Get rid of crazy performance review process. Quit encouraging employees to tattle on each other. Get rid of the political BS and focus on the business. Quit changing direction every three months. Stop with the constant reorgs.

Great opportunities to try different roles.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people. Great continuous improvement culture.

Cons

Lack of clear long term strategy but getting better.

Need to focus and make hard choices.

Worked for Vistaprint? Contribute to the Community!