Vistaprint

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane

Robert S. Keane

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great atmosphere and people

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsThe people there were great - still keep in touch with a bunch, including my old boss. Beer on Friday's a great place to talk to people and get good opinions

ConsTough to move up, which is one of the reasons that I left. There were definitely some people that had been there for a long time, doing the same job, which is one thing I did not want to look back upon in 8 - 10 years.

My one concern is that I have heard through my friends that still work there that they are going through some middle - management layoffs. This is the kind of thing that was absolutely out of the question while I was there - everybody happy, needed, and secure in their roles. It seems that going public might have pushed the company into "how can we improve short term bottom line" mode...

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a culture where advancement and career track is clear and visible.

A great place to learn e-commerce

Creative (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsVistaprint offers a great environment for entry level or younger workers. Weekly happy hours with free food are a great draw for those in their 20s. I've also never worked in such a large company where the young co-workers are so tight. Many of them vacation together, live together, and go through all of their career and major life events together. In that way, this is an excellent company for those who want to come in young and build roots that will last for a lifetime.

ConsFrequently changing leadership was a disappointment for me. We would form a group, gel, build momentum...and then things would change again. After doing it a few times, it got very old and prevented us from moving forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on those who manage people to make sure they are managing down -- as well as "managing up."

Great fun company with plenty of challenging jobs

Marketing Analytics (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsGreat work atmosphere, smart colleagues, benefits. The culture is great. The company also provides free weekly breakfast and a bi weekly food trucks lunch.

ConsThere have been a number of re-orgs and the company is still trying to find the right org structure.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brilliant as a startup, had a rough transition, is now coming into it's own as a larger company.

Manager, Quality Engineering (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsWorld class engineering - work with the best.
    Great benefits - free lunches, work from home, etc. All the standards for a top-flight software company.
    Willing to take risks and change when needed.

ConsSometimes it feels like the organization can't get out of it's own way. I attribute this to the fact that the company is learning how to be a big company. So many of the processes and cultural aspects are leftover from when the company was ~100 developers. Those processes have not scaled well, which means sometimes little things are big headaches. The most frustrating thing is when small decisions have 5+ decision makers who all disagree and nobody has decision rights. That said - the company is aware of the issue and is actively working to fix it. Some things just take time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold. Don't be afraid to be extreme. The business value is compelling, and the engineering talent is present. Just get out of the way and let teams be teams.

Worst company I ever worked for

Manager (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsGood pay and bonuses. Some very smart people. Nice-looking building and free drinks in the kitchens.

ConsPolitical nightmare. You need to mimic what management says or you are viewed and treated like a black sheep. They are not open to new ideas. No respect for people's experience. They love to take newly minted graduates out of school and mold them ("brainwash" them) to their views. Inexperienced people are made managers of departments and people three years into their careers. Spent the worst two years of my career there. Meetings all day long then you need to work eight hours at night to do "real work."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of crazy performance review process. Quit encouraging employees to tattle on each other. Get rid of the political BS and focus on the business. Quit changing direction every three months. Stop with the constant reorgs.

Great opportunities to try different roles.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsSmart people. Great continuous improvement culture.

ConsLack of clear long term strategy but getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus and make hard choices.

Formerly a great environment, now a political circus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsVery smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere

ConsPolitics and reorgs destabilize the company more than management will ever understand. They eat away the core of Vistaprint business - the values it's been founded on. by now The Values are a laughing stock to anyone who's not a brand new employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBad decisions have to be recognized faster and better be undone than stuck to. Curtail the parachuting of Staples execs, or pretty soon they will turn Vistaprint into another Staples.

Love this place

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsCareer development

Lateral and vertical opportunities for growth - great people managers and mentors throughout the middle management and leadership team

Amazing culture- energetic colleagues, we all learn from each other. I've never worked with such intelligent coworkers who are open to sharing their knowledge and developing others

ConsShifting priorities / strategy, however if you are building your career and love a dynamic environment, the changes create opportunities for you to grow and challenge yourself

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build and value internal talent

Fun place to work at.. Decent perks

Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsSmart people to work with, Mid Management gives a lot of support to initiatives

ConsProjects are getting shelved. Too many re-organizations in Marketing

Amazing Place for a Marketing Internship

Marketing Associate (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsFor Intern: Great visibility into the decision-making process, treated like a full employee rather than just a part-time intern, will give you the correct amount of real-world experience without overwhelming you with the workload, will not give you "busy-work" as some other internships do.

In General: Awesome company culture - polo and jeans is acceptable attire and there are lot's of young, fun people who like to hang out with each other in and out of work; Also, most of the managers support a flexible schedule and allow you to come and go as you please without dealing with taking PTO hours unless you're taking a full day off

ConsNo full-time offer guarentee, unsure about the company's future as the world goes digital and print, specifically business cards, become less popular...

Worked for Vistaprint? Contribute to the Community!

Vistaprint Videos

Vistaprint – Why Work for Us?

One of The Biggest Things to Ever Happen to Small Businesses. Founded in 1995 and having launched our first commercial website in 2000, Vistaprint is an e-commerce pioneer and the world’s leading online design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vistaprint reviews and ratings in Lexington, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vistaprint CEO Robert S. Keane. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Vistaprint employees.