Vistaprint Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
3.4

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Growth:
    There's a great deal of talented engineers that work here. Getting in touch with the right people will open up opportunities for a great advancement in your career. Many people are very friendly and approachable.

In my specific case, I had a team that really cared for me. They made sure I wasn't working long hours and made sure that I was comfortable with the amount of work I was being given. I'm sure that if I asked for more or less work they would've made that adjustment for me.

Work/Life balance:
    Being an intern, I was tied to a 40-hour work week, but I do know that some salaried members would go over that time in order to meet deadlines. I'm sure the balance is variable among teams, but I had an overall good experience with the balance.

Culture:
    As an intern, I had the opportunity to meet many of the executives at Vistaprint, as well as partake in various intern events that were quite fun. We even had an opportunity to see one of their manufacturing plants!

There's weekly happy hours known as "The View", where employees can get together and relax once the week is finally coming to a close.

I like the direction that the company is taking. I'm excited to see the changes that are being made and the reasoning behind these changes. Re-organizations also mean that teams will be more tight-knit than what they were before, which will allow them to better collaborate. This will in turn increase efficiency of all members across the board.

Cons

Upper Management:
    There needs to be a closer tie between upper management and developers. Although there are attempts to be on the same page about progress on various projects, I believe that a little more effort can be made. However, it does seem like the company in general is moving in a direction that will make it easier for these parties to interact, which is great.

Take a look at who isn't pulling their own weight. Micro-managing isn't a good thing, but sometimes it's necessary to step in to make sure that you have an idea of what's actually going on.

Company with Potential

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent salary scaling, free food trucks every other wednesday, steady work

Cons

Not much training, feeling of islation in a large office.

Inside training programmes for employees to explore other parts of the business. Better benefits and more flexible time off.

Raise yourself by putting others down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people. Good pay and benefits. Some of the work is interesting. The company is focusing on how to improve collaboration between departments.

Cons

The work I did was all designed by a tech lead - after 2+ years at the company, I still had less responsibility than I did 6 months out of college elsewhere. And not necessarily designed well, or by someone who could explain design decisions - just someone who had been there the longest. Projects were segmented in such a way that I was working on things we didn't even know if they'd be going to production, while other teammates still had months of work that we were positive were going to production. For some reason nobody thought to finish all of the important things first.
    There's no hesitation to throw others under the bus. A marketer I was working with had trouble prioritizing our work, so he tried to throw me under the bus saying I wasn't working harder, so he needed more resources. When I left, he suddenly turned that around and continued asking for more resources after losing a key member of the team.
    Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team. Another developer was pretty nasty to me, and I was lectured about how I shouldn't bring up feelings or give feedback in the moment (which Vistaprint prides itself on, whether it's right or wrong.) I then received the feedback that I should bring up one-on-one issues with another person in a team-wide retrospective. And nobody seems to care that project managers think that's appropriate and preferred.
    My team started doing "Scrum"... I kept trying to get my scrum team to actually try following the rules, then break them when we decide we have a good reason to. My product owner didn't want to do the hard work of his role, so he micromanaged so that he could change priorities as we went. The scrum master didn't care to attempt to enforce scrum, basically allowing someone without any technical experience to act as a boss. Self-organization completely out the window.
    When I left, I had a better opportunity that would get me back into a situation where I could grow junior developers, act as a team lead on projects, etc. Management basically tried to convince me that the situation there of being allowed to mentor one person every two years or so was equivalent. I had 3 non-HR exit interview type situations (along with the HR version) and all that happened was three people trying to convince me why I was wrong and VP was great, rather than trying to learn anything and make it better.
    The company brags about all of its great benefits like food trucks. Having food trucks come out there to the suburbs was great, but having free lunch twice a month doesn't beat weekly or even more frequent catering that other companies have - why is this lauded as being so great?

Require middle management to have management skills, rather than being competent enough in IC roles to be promoted there. Same with IC leadership roles. Stop funneling all of the "lead" positions to a few people and give everyone a chance to prove themselves, not just a few people who you've selected.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are definitely competitive salaries at all levels of the organization. Other employees are super smart and willing to help.

Vistaprint is an amazing place to work right out of college because there is a ton of opportunity to learn.

Benefits are awesome. Like, super awesome. 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance.

The current building is nice but the new building will be even better!

Cons

There are a lot of early 20-somethings with limited experience managing both people and products which leads to questionable decisions. It seems that management has recognized this, though, and the tide is changing.

The back end of the website is dated and overly complex. There is a tendency to build and then not tend to the code and not extend the learning once the developer who has created the tool or code has left the company.

Great company, great culture, interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned with Vistaprint over the summer of 2014, and it was pretty awesome. The team I worked on was very supportive and helpful, the problems I had to take on were tough, but really interesting... but best of all was the culture. Vistaprint, compared to a lot of other software development companies, is full of relaxed people who will work hard to get stuff done to make all the products, from our website to all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but are very relaxed about it. Work/life balance is awesome - managers set a great example of this.
    I don't know if it's necessarily a place I'd settle in forever, but it'd for sure be a solid first job to gain some experience and do some really cool stuff.

Cons

The company is currently working on some major reorganization initiatives, and as a result, sometimes things can be a little confusing (like when your team name changes)... I've also heard a lot about managers who aren't so great, but I have had no experience with that yet.
    But the upside is that they're working on it and improving it.

The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place

Former Employee - Director  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.

There's good and there's not so good

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Salary and benefits
    * The technical changes that they're implementing are great experience
    * Work-life balance

Cons

* A lot of young employees who have never worked anywhere else and have advanced quickly. Their heads grew with their advancement and they really need to have their egos brought under control.
    * Constant organizational change that results in group re-shuffling and project cancellations.

none.

Great atmosphere and people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people there were great - still keep in touch with a bunch, including my old boss. Beer on Friday's a great place to talk to people and get good opinions

Cons

Tough to move up, which is one of the reasons that I left. There were definitely some people that had been there for a long time, doing the same job, which is one thing I did not want to look back upon in 8 - 10 years.

My one concern is that I have heard through my friends that still work there that they are going through some middle - management layoffs. This is the kind of thing that was absolutely out of the question while I was there - everybody happy, needed, and secure in their roles. It seems that going public might have pushed the company into "how can we improve short term bottom line" mode...

Create a culture where advancement and career track is clear and visible.

A great place to learn e-commerce

Former Employee - Creative  in  Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vistaprint offers a great environment for entry level or younger workers. Weekly happy hours with free food are a great draw for those in their 20s. I've also never worked in such a large company where the young co-workers are so tight. Many of them vacation together, live together, and go through all of their career and major life events together. In that way, this is an excellent company for those who want to come in young and build roots that will last for a lifetime.

Cons

Frequently changing leadership was a disappointment for me. We would form a group, gel, build momentum...and then things would change again. After doing it a few times, it got very old and prevented us from moving forward.

Keep an eye on those who manage people to make sure they are managing down -- as well as "managing up."

Great place to work

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Food trucks twice per month.
    Code freeze pizza.
    Nice open work areas
    Great flex time and work-like balance
    VistaBreak offered after five years

Cons

Work space can be tight at times, small cube.

Need to be more customer centric.

Worked for Vistaprint? Contribute to the Community!