Vistaprint

Updated November 14, 2014
3.4

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• changes yet again in the middle management layer in the next 2-3 months (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good company to start your career

I have been working at Vistaprint

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn a lot

Cons

The company is growing big and with limited resource, it's getting difficult to get things done

Was Great but has gone downhill in recent years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

If it was 5/6 years back, then this place was truly one of the best places in the Boston area to work for.
    -1 month sabbatical after 5 years
    -Work/Life Balance depending on org
    -Wonderful coworkers
    -Large Capital budget that truly enabled the best of the best in terms of infrastructure, resources
    -Autonomy depending on your position and org

Cons

Senior Management had truly no idea what certain groups/orgs did. Major successes were never communicated up, saving the company $$ would never reach the top if you had a management team that never communicated up and even if they did, it was rarely applauded

Continuous reorg, shifts in strategies, lack of overall communication
    -Good ole boy/girl network. Its all about who you know. You can do no wrong and or do nothing and be unaffected by any changes.. i e. constant/massive transitions

Look at the top, rather than the bottom. There are some great senior leaders but most don't care about the folks that work hard for them. No guidance, no leadsership and they mainly just play the game that was PGM. Get the story, get promoted on the backs of their people and move on.

Inexperienced Management

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Food trucks twice per month, Flexible working hours, Intelligent co-workers

Cons

Management cannot stick to a strategy.
    Re-structuring is on-going. Management turn over is constant. Can't get to know your boss as you have a new one every month.
      No visionaries.

See the plan through

no work-life balance

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are under age 30, this is a good place to be. Every Friday late afternoon socials.
    If you have a great manager, you can move far within the company.
    Very talented people

Cons

Since alot of managers/supervisors are promoted from within, quite of few have no experience managing folks nor should manage others.
    Every 3 weeks had to work one night until 5 am.
    No work-life balance for working parents
    Can be hard to take time off

folks who are great as individual contributors do not necessarily make good managers.

Exciting projects, fun culture and room for personal growth.

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Management seems to truly care about career development. The company values are communicated clearly to all levels. The benefits package is great with 14 paid days off the first year.

Cons

It can take a long time to see a change implemented since it's such a large company.

great place for hourly

I worked at Vistaprint (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well with good benefits

Cons

High turn over rates at all locations

Company with Potential

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent salary scaling, free food trucks every other wednesday, steady work

Cons

Not much training, feeling of islation in a large office.

Inside training programmes for employees to explore other parts of the business. Better benefits and more flexible time off.

Raise yourself by putting others down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people. Good pay and benefits. Some of the work is interesting. The company is focusing on how to improve collaboration between departments.

Cons

The work I did was all designed by a tech lead - after 2+ years at the company, I still had less responsibility than I did 6 months out of college elsewhere. And not necessarily designed well, or by someone who could explain design decisions - just someone who had been there the longest. Projects were segmented in such a way that I was working on things we didn't even know if they'd be going to production, while other teammates still had months of work that we were positive were going to production. For some reason nobody thought to finish all of the important things first.
    There's no hesitation to throw others under the bus. A marketer I was working with had trouble prioritizing our work, so he tried to throw me under the bus saying I wasn't working harder, so he needed more resources. When I left, he suddenly turned that around and continued asking for more resources after losing a key member of the team.
    Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team. Another developer was pretty nasty to me, and I was lectured about how I shouldn't bring up feelings or give feedback in the moment (which Vistaprint prides itself on, whether it's right or wrong.) I then received the feedback that I should bring up one-on-one issues with another person in a team-wide retrospective. And nobody seems to care that project managers think that's appropriate and preferred.
    My team started doing "Scrum"... I kept trying to get my scrum team to actually try following the rules, then break them when we decide we have a good reason to. My product owner didn't want to do the hard work of his role, so he micromanaged so that he could change priorities as we went. The scrum master didn't care to attempt to enforce scrum, basically allowing someone without any technical experience to act as a boss. Self-organization completely out the window.
    When I left, I had a better opportunity that would get me back into a situation where I could grow junior developers, act as a team lead on projects, etc. Management basically tried to convince me that the situation there of being allowed to mentor one person every two years or so was equivalent. I had 3 non-HR exit interview type situations (along with the HR version) and all that happened was three people trying to convince me why I was wrong and VP was great, rather than trying to learn anything and make it better.
    The company brags about all of its great benefits like food trucks. Having food trucks come out there to the suburbs was great, but having free lunch twice a month doesn't beat weekly or even more frequent catering that other companies have - why is this lauded as being so great?

Require middle management to have management skills, rather than being competent enough in IC roles to be promoted there. Same with IC leadership roles. Stop funneling all of the "lead" positions to a few people and give everyone a chance to prove themselves, not just a few people who you've selected.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Growth:
    There's a great deal of talented engineers that work here. Getting in touch with the right people will open up opportunities for a great advancement in your career. Many people are very friendly and approachable.

In my specific case, I had a team that really cared for me. They made sure I wasn't working long hours and made sure that I was comfortable with the amount of work I was being given. I'm sure that if I asked for more or less work they would've made that adjustment for me.

Work/Life balance:
    Being an intern, I was tied to a 40-hour work week, but I do know that some salaried members would go over that time in order to meet deadlines. I'm sure the balance is variable among teams, but I had an overall good experience with the balance.

Culture:
    As an intern, I had the opportunity to meet many of the executives at Vistaprint, as well as partake in various intern events that were quite fun. We even had an opportunity to see one of their manufacturing plants!

There's weekly happy hours known as "The View", where employees can get together and relax once the week is finally coming to a close.

I like the direction that the company is taking. I'm excited to see the changes that are being made and the reasoning behind these changes. Re-organizations also mean that teams will be more tight-knit than what they were before, which will allow them to better collaborate. This will in turn increase efficiency of all members across the board.

Cons

Upper Management:
    There needs to be a closer tie between upper management and developers. Although there are attempts to be on the same page about progress on various projects, I believe that a little more effort can be made. However, it does seem like the company in general is moving in a direction that will make it easier for these parties to interact, which is great.

Take a look at who isn't pulling their own weight. Micro-managing isn't a good thing, but sometimes it's necessary to step in to make sure that you have an idea of what's actually going on.

Great place to learn

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are definitely competitive salaries at all levels of the organization. Other employees are super smart and willing to help.

Vistaprint is an amazing place to work right out of college because there is a ton of opportunity to learn.

Benefits are awesome. Like, super awesome. 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance.

The current building is nice but the new building will be even better!

Cons

There are a lot of early 20-somethings with limited experience managing both people and products which leads to questionable decisions. It seems that management has recognized this, though, and the tide is changing.

The back end of the website is dated and overly complex. There is a tendency to build and then not tend to the code and not extend the learning once the developer who has created the tool or code has left the company.