Vistaprint

Updated February 26, 2015
3.4

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• changes yet again in the middle management layer in the next 2-3 months (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great place to work

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Growth:
    There's a great deal of talented engineers that work here. Getting in touch with the right people will open up opportunities for a great advancement in your career. Many people are very friendly and approachable.

In my specific case, I had a team that really cared for me. They made sure I wasn't working long hours and made sure that I was comfortable with the amount of work I was being given. I'm sure that if I asked for more or less work they would've made that adjustment for me.

Work/Life balance:
    Being an intern, I was tied to a 40-hour work week, but I do know that some salaried members would go over that time in order to meet deadlines. I'm sure the balance is variable among teams, but I had an overall good experience with the balance.

Culture:
    As an intern, I had the opportunity to meet many of the executives at Vistaprint, as well as partake in various intern events that were quite fun. We even had an opportunity to see one of their manufacturing plants!

There's weekly happy hours known as "The View", where employees can get together and relax once the week is finally coming to a close.

I like the direction that the company is taking. I'm excited to see the changes that are being made and the reasoning behind these changes. Re-organizations also mean that teams will be more tight-knit than what they were before, which will allow them to better collaborate. This will in turn increase efficiency of all members across the board.

Cons

Upper Management:
    There needs to be a closer tie between upper management and developers. Although there are attempts to be on the same page about progress on various projects, I believe that a little more effort can be made. However, it does seem like the company in general is moving in a direction that will make it easier for these parties to interact, which is great.

Take a look at who isn't pulling their own weight. Micro-managing isn't a good thing, but sometimes it's necessary to step in to make sure that you have an idea of what's actually going on.

smart company with lots of talent young workers

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (less than a year)

Pros

work with many smart and professional people, fast moving with very little politics, promotion is fair and transparent.

Cons

office space is so openly seen and there is no privacy at work, and it gets distracted when you try to concentrate at work.

change the office space and layout

Great place to start your career

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vistaprint provides room for growth. It has a great working environment environment. Employee engagement is a priority and this helps to build loyalty for entry level staff.

Cons

There are too many changes in a short space of time. It puts a toll on you to see people lose their jobs due to rapid and continuous change.

Increase the pay for support roles in Jamaica.

Great Company

Current Employee - Analyst in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Company and culture. There are a lot of smart people here and great opportunities to grow. The benefits are good and they reward good workers

Cons

There is a lot of politics that goes around at the manager level. There is sometimes a lack of transparency in communication

Great place to work, little home work balance

Former Employee - Recruiter in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, super management.
    You hire really smart and capable people, but sometimes those people are super mean and just A-holes. Get a no mean people policy, it would help things there. A lot.
    I respect Robert Keane and think he is one of the best CEOs ever. He cares about the people a LOT. Super nice guy, too. Humble.

Cons

They made me feel I never did enough although I got great reviews and was a top performer. Ultimately I left because of this.

Ease up.

Was Great but has gone downhill in recent years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

If it was 5/6 years back, then this place was truly one of the best places in the Boston area to work for.
    -1 month sabbatical after 5 years
    -Work/Life Balance depending on org
    -Wonderful coworkers
    -Large Capital budget that truly enabled the best of the best in terms of infrastructure, resources
    -Autonomy depending on your position and org

Cons

Senior Management had truly no idea what certain groups/orgs did. Major successes were never communicated up, saving the company $$ would never reach the top if you had a management team that never communicated up and even if they did, it was rarely applauded

Continuous reorg, shifts in strategies, lack of overall communication
    -Good ole boy/girl network. Its all about who you know. You can do no wrong and or do nothing and be unaffected by any changes.. i e. constant/massive transitions

Look at the top, rather than the bottom. There are some great senior leaders but most don't care about the folks that work hard for them. No guidance, no leadsership and they mainly just play the game that was PGM. Get the story, get promoted on the backs of their people and move on.

Inexperienced Management

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Food trucks twice per month, Flexible working hours, Intelligent co-workers

Cons

Management cannot stick to a strategy.
    Re-structuring is on-going. Management turn over is constant. Can't get to know your boss as you have a new one every month.
      No visionaries.

See the plan through

no work-life balance

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are under age 30, this is a good place to be. Every Friday late afternoon socials.
    If you have a great manager, you can move far within the company.
    Very talented people

Cons

Since alot of managers/supervisors are promoted from within, quite of few have no experience managing folks nor should manage others.
    Every 3 weeks had to work one night until 5 am.
    No work-life balance for working parents
    Can be hard to take time off

folks who are great as individual contributors do not necessarily make good managers.

great place for hourly

I worked at Vistaprint (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well with good benefits

Cons

High turn over rates at all locations

Very good company to start your career

I have been working at Vistaprint

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn a lot

Cons

The company is growing big and with limited resource, it's getting difficult to get things done