Vistaprint Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.5

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Working in my dream job

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Vadodara (India)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Vadodara (India)

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vistaprint gave me all the challenges and opportunities to explore and develop myself both personal and professional. We had so much of freedom of work, and alongwith it the responsibility. It was an absolute mix of work and fun.

Cons

The management is transparent still at instances clarity about ground levels is lacking.

great place for hourly

I worked at Vistaprint (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well with good benefits

Cons

High turn over rates at all locations

Very good company to start your career

I have been working at Vistaprint

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn a lot

Cons

The company is growing big and with limited resource, it's getting difficult to get things done

Exciting projects, fun culture and room for personal growth.

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Management seems to truly care about career development. The company values are communicated clearly to all levels. The benefits package is great with 14 paid days off the first year.

Cons

It can take a long time to see a change implemented since it's such a large company.

Company with Potential

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent salary scaling, free food trucks every other wednesday, steady work

Cons

Not much training, feeling of islation in a large office.

Inside training programmes for employees to explore other parts of the business. Better benefits and more flexible time off.

Raise yourself by putting others down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people. Good pay and benefits. Some of the work is interesting. The company is focusing on how to improve collaboration between departments.

Cons

The work I did was all designed by a tech lead - after 2+ years at the company, I still had less responsibility than I did 6 months out of college elsewhere. And not necessarily designed well, or by someone who could explain design decisions - just someone who had been there the longest. Projects were segmented in such a way that I was working on things we didn't even know if they'd be going to production, while other teammates still had months of work that we were positive were going to production. For some reason nobody thought to finish all of the important things first.
    There's no hesitation to throw others under the bus. A marketer I was working with had trouble prioritizing our work, so he tried to throw me under the bus saying I wasn't working harder, so he needed more resources. When I left, he suddenly turned that around and continued asking for more resources after losing a key member of the team.
    Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team. Another developer was pretty nasty to me, and I was lectured about how I shouldn't bring up feelings or give feedback in the moment (which Vistaprint prides itself on, whether it's right or wrong.) I then received the feedback that I should bring up one-on-one issues with another person in a team-wide retrospective. And nobody seems to care that project managers think that's appropriate and preferred.
    My team started doing "Scrum"... I kept trying to get my scrum team to actually try following the rules, then break them when we decide we have a good reason to. My product owner didn't want to do the hard work of his role, so he micromanaged so that he could change priorities as we went. The scrum master didn't care to attempt to enforce scrum, basically allowing someone without any technical experience to act as a boss. Self-organization completely out the window.
    When I left, I had a better opportunity that would get me back into a situation where I could grow junior developers, act as a team lead on projects, etc. Management basically tried to convince me that the situation there of being allowed to mentor one person every two years or so was equivalent. I had 3 non-HR exit interview type situations (along with the HR version) and all that happened was three people trying to convince me why I was wrong and VP was great, rather than trying to learn anything and make it better.
    The company brags about all of its great benefits like food trucks. Having food trucks come out there to the suburbs was great, but having free lunch twice a month doesn't beat weekly or even more frequent catering that other companies have - why is this lauded as being so great?

Require middle management to have management skills, rather than being competent enough in IC roles to be promoted there. Same with IC leadership roles. Stop funneling all of the "lead" positions to a few people and give everyone a chance to prove themselves, not just a few people who you've selected.

Great company, very good and bright people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winterthur (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winterthur (Switzerland)

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

exciting, young company with huge potential
    good and bright young people

Cons

Far too many unproductive meetings, vision is not really clear to all employees, too many strategy changes

Youthful illusion for a corrupted maturity

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High salaries and tons of extra benefits (ticket restaurant, health plan, pension scheme, transport tickets, etc.) with flexible working hours; international and multicultural environment; brilliant people to work with at mid-management and below level; no comparison to a Spanish company by much far.

Cons

Expect to make the most of a professional career only if you come in as a graduate since you will learn a lot; at any other level, despite fictional changes in your title (and maybe in salary), there is no career path one can construe, even more so one HR can draw for you; there is no real concept/action on talent management (the needed one is insistently brought in from the outside to the expense of the internal one), although the catchphrase is abused widely by HR and senior management; career changes are based on personal connections and not on actual performance and skills set, especially the higher the level in question (having a bi-annual performance review cycle is pointless under the circumstances of such a political circus); it might be a common fault of big organizations but it resonates stronger when lived amidst much hypocrisy about career progression and wonderful professional opportunities; so your talent dilutes and stagnates (it is surprising to realize among colleagues how many have little or nothing to do after one or two years in the company) until it has to search for a new home.
    Political-correctness is taken to the exasperation and you will be obliged into being complulsorily cheerful and charitable. Lack of humanity is reserved to dismissing valuable people by highly presumptuous VPs whose dignity is questionable and power hunger unlimited.

Despite claims of being a transformational company, beneath the youthful face of a perennial start-up, there is a bureaucratic, slow and myopic behemoth. And with performance slowing down recently there is risk some blocks might crumble (the inwards look for self-crucification helps to be autocritical but normal people strive to make a living: wake up to reality and consider macro-economic variables when reviewing and planning).

The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place

Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.

Revolving door – just make sure you get out quick!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people all across the company. Location is good. Salary & benefits much better than majority of local companies.

Cons

The culture, executives and most of the leadership team - politics, lack of business knowledge and skills, ‘hire and fire’ mentality.

This company has been restructured countless times but it's still going downhill. Someone needs to wake up and see it’s going downhill exactly because of all of these disastrous uncoordinated restructures. There is no clear vision or strategy, but no one seems to bother as long as you make sure you let every single person know what you are thinking or doing. This company has taken information sharing to a completely new level. So much time is wasted updating people, asking for feedback, discussing decisions, that nobody has actually noticed it’s a load of crap. It is autocratic, hierarchical and dictatorial. This is the most political company I have ever had the misfortune of working in. It’s more important to network for personal gain and pretend you know what you are talking about (when it’s clear they don’t) than actually have any knowledge, do a good job, and deliver results. Shocking but true. This company is a great case study of how and what not to do in business, and how not to treat people. Who is to blame for this? The executive team – either they are fully aware and choose to let it happen, or they have no clue it is going on, or they are delusional. Regardless of what it is, the result is the same – really bad external company image, terrible employee engagement and deteriorating financial results. As the old saying goes – a fish always rots from the head.