Vistaprint

Updated December 10, 2014
3.4

Vistaprint Chairman, President, and CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
  • 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Very smart people, lots of young talent, you can learn a lot from everyone - in your function or elsewhere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is at a frantic 24 hour pace with no regard for work/life balance or vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• changes yet again in the middle management layer in the next 2-3 months (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great culture, interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned with Vistaprint over the summer of 2014, and it was pretty awesome. The team I worked on was very supportive and helpful, the problems I had to take on were tough, but really interesting... but best of all was the culture. Vistaprint, compared to a lot of other software development companies, is full of relaxed people who will work hard to get stuff done to make all the products, from our website to all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but are very relaxed about it. Work/life balance is awesome - managers set a great example of this.
    I don't know if it's necessarily a place I'd settle in forever, but it'd for sure be a solid first job to gain some experience and do some really cool stuff.

Cons

The company is currently working on some major reorganization initiatives, and as a result, sometimes things can be a little confusing (like when your team name changes)... I've also heard a lot about managers who aren't so great, but I have had no experience with that yet.
    But the upside is that they're working on it and improving it.

The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place

Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.

There's good and there's not so good

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Salary and benefits
    * The technical changes that they're implementing are great experience
    * Work-life balance

Cons

* A lot of young employees who have never worked anywhere else and have advanced quickly. Their heads grew with their advancement and they really need to have their egos brought under control.
    * Constant organizational change that results in group re-shuffling and project cancellations.

none.

Great atmosphere and people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people there were great - still keep in touch with a bunch, including my old boss. Beer on Friday's a great place to talk to people and get good opinions

Cons

Tough to move up, which is one of the reasons that I left. There were definitely some people that had been there for a long time, doing the same job, which is one thing I did not want to look back upon in 8 - 10 years.

My one concern is that I have heard through my friends that still work there that they are going through some middle - management layoffs. This is the kind of thing that was absolutely out of the question while I was there - everybody happy, needed, and secure in their roles. It seems that going public might have pushed the company into "how can we improve short term bottom line" mode...

Create a culture where advancement and career track is clear and visible.

A great place to learn e-commerce

Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vistaprint offers a great environment for entry level or younger workers. Weekly happy hours with free food are a great draw for those in their 20s. I've also never worked in such a large company where the young co-workers are so tight. Many of them vacation together, live together, and go through all of their career and major life events together. In that way, this is an excellent company for those who want to come in young and build roots that will last for a lifetime.

Cons

Frequently changing leadership was a disappointment for me. We would form a group, gel, build momentum...and then things would change again. After doing it a few times, it got very old and prevented us from moving forward.

Keep an eye on those who manage people to make sure they are managing down -- as well as "managing up."

Great fun company with plenty of challenging jobs

Former Employee - Marketing Analytics in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analytics in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, smart colleagues, benefits. The culture is great. The company also provides free weekly breakfast and a bi weekly food trucks lunch.

Cons

There have been a number of re-orgs and the company is still trying to find the right org structure.

Join the circus, then leave as soon as possible.

Former Employee - Developer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

- free coffee and soda
    - food trucks every other week
    - beer on Friday

Cons

Where to begin? This place is an absolute circus. They go through company-wide reorganizations every 6 to 8 months because they can't find a successful formula. Most recently they axed the majority of their QA and Ops department so they could free up funds to hire more developers -- except any developer worth their salt wouldn't want to work in this environment. As a developer, do you enjoy working on new, cutting edge things? Too bad, at Vistaprint you'll spend the majority of your time working on legacy systems that has little to no documentation. Hope you like technology refreshes, aren't they fun and challenging?!

The executives are inept and ill-equipped to do their jobs, and the middle and upper management are largely composed of sycophants. The CEO is a non-entity, descending once a year from his luxury office in Paris to parade in front of the various offices, patting himself on the back self-congratulatorily, only to vanish for another year with nary a sight nor sound. He has no interest in the floundering core business -- only new ideas.

Touching on company performance and environment, it's a morose place at the moment. Ever since their mind-boggling pricing changes, they've been hemorrhaging, and it's plainly evident in the atmosphere. The employees know that something is seriously wrong, and only the most ardent Kool-aid drinkers are oblivious. Does a healthy company eliminate 90% of their QA staff?

To the more practical -- the office is an overcrowded dump, but that should change upon completion of their multi-million dollar new office down the street -- which I'm sure they couldn't afford, but are doing anyway. Parking is a problem, so if you don't want to show up an hour early, be prepared to drop your car off with a valet and wait 30 minutes to get it when you're ready to leave. Though maybe with all the layoffs, there's now more parking space available?

If you absolutely must work here, put in your two years, get it on your resume while the company still has any semblance of name power, and then get the hell out. Vistaprint gets poached aggressively by other, better companies, because those companies know that many Vistaprint employees are miserable and desperate to leave.

Dump the inept management. Identify and eliminate the sycophants. Encourage the CEO to give a damn about his company instead of his next big idea.

Brilliant as a startup, had a rough transition, is now coming into it's own as a larger company.

Current Employee - Manager, Quality Engineering in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Quality Engineering in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

World class engineering - work with the best.
    Great benefits - free lunches, work from home, etc. All the standards for a top-flight software company.
    Willing to take risks and change when needed.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like the organization can't get out of it's own way. I attribute this to the fact that the company is learning how to be a big company. So many of the processes and cultural aspects are leftover from when the company was ~100 developers. Those processes have not scaled well, which means sometimes little things are big headaches. The most frustrating thing is when small decisions have 5+ decision makers who all disagree and nobody has decision rights. That said - the company is aware of the issue and is actively working to fix it. Some things just take time.

Be bold. Don't be afraid to be extreme. The business value is compelling, and the engineering talent is present. Just get out of the way and let teams be teams.

Don't waste your time and talent here.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Competitive pay
    *Quarterly bonuses
    *Vistabreak
    *Benefits
    *Will work with some of the best and brightest

Cons

*Engineering review cycle is a nightmare. Promotions are not based on work/goals. You can skip meetings and work and let the most bugs into production, but if your manager is a convincing enough speaker you'll be a senior manager in no time! Work hard and meat your goals, but have an ineffective manager and you're left behind.
    *Too many high level managers providing very little value.
    *SDLC is a nightmare. Project requirements never fully vetted. Decisions being made well into the QA cycle.
    *Expectation that you be available 24/7.
    *Layoffs happening.
    *Employees promised better opportunities for growth if they sign up for an expat contract, but then hung out to dry with very little guidance or opportunity. Move process is a nightmare. HR representative in change of the process is clueless and ineffective. Highly stressful situation all for naught. There will be no role for you to return to on repat regardless of what is promised at time of contract signing.

No advice for management. It's clear that they don't listen to it anyway.

Intern

I worked at Vistaprint as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to leadership. Very open culture. Great work space.

Cons

Location.
    Sometimes bad work/life balance.