Vistaprint Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
153 reviews filtered by

Inexperienced Management

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Food trucks twice per month, Flexible working hours, Intelligent co-workers

Cons

Management cannot stick to a strategy.
    Re-structuring is on-going. Management turn over is constant. Can't get to know your boss as you have a new one every month.
      No visionaries.

See the plan through

no work-life balance

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are under age 30, this is a good place to be. Every Friday late afternoon socials.
    If you have a great manager, you can move far within the company.
    Very talented people

Cons

Since alot of managers/supervisors are promoted from within, quite of few have no experience managing folks nor should manage others.
    Every 3 weeks had to work one night until 5 am.
    No work-life balance for working parents
    Can be hard to take time off

folks who are great as individual contributors do not necessarily make good managers.

great place for hourly

I worked at Vistaprint (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well with good benefits

Cons

High turn over rates at all locations

5. Very good company to start your career

I have been working at Vistaprint

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn a lot

Cons

The company is growing big and with limited resource, it's getting difficult to get things done

6. Exciting projects, fun culture and room for personal growth.

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Management seems to truly care about career development. The company values are communicated clearly to all levels. The benefits package is great with 14 paid days off the first year.

Cons

It can take a long time to see a change implemented since it's such a large company.

Company with Potential

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Marketing in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary scaling, free food trucks every other wednesday, steady work

Cons

Not much training, feeling of islation in a large office.

Inside training programmes for employees to explore other parts of the business. Better benefits and more flexible time off.

Raise yourself by putting others down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people. Good pay and benefits. Some of the work is interesting. The company is focusing on how to improve collaboration between departments.

Cons

The work I did was all designed by a tech lead - after 2+ years at the company, I still had less responsibility than I did 6 months out of college elsewhere. And not necessarily designed well, or by someone who could explain design decisions - just someone who had been there the longest. Projects were segmented in such a way that I was working on things we didn't even know if they'd be going to production, while other teammates still had months of work that we were positive were going to production. For some reason nobody thought to finish all of the important things first.
    There's no hesitation to throw others under the bus. A marketer I was working with had trouble prioritizing our work, so he tried to throw me under the bus saying I wasn't working harder, so he needed more resources. When I left, he suddenly turned that around and continued asking for more resources after losing a key member of the team.
    Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team. Another developer was pretty nasty to me, and I was lectured about how I shouldn't bring up feelings or give feedback in the moment (which Vistaprint prides itself on, whether it's right or wrong.) I then received the feedback that I should bring up one-on-one issues with another person in a team-wide retrospective. And nobody seems to care that project managers think that's appropriate and preferred.
    My team started doing "Scrum"... I kept trying to get my scrum team to actually try following the rules, then break them when we decide we have a good reason to. My product owner didn't want to do the hard work of his role, so he micromanaged so that he could change priorities as we went. The scrum master didn't care to attempt to enforce scrum, basically allowing someone without any technical experience to act as a boss. Self-organization completely out the window.
    When I left, I had a better opportunity that would get me back into a situation where I could grow junior developers, act as a team lead on projects, etc. Management basically tried to convince me that the situation there of being allowed to mentor one person every two years or so was equivalent. I had 3 non-HR exit interview type situations (along with the HR version) and all that happened was three people trying to convince me why I was wrong and VP was great, rather than trying to learn anything and make it better.
    The company brags about all of its great benefits like food trucks. Having food trucks come out there to the suburbs was great, but having free lunch twice a month doesn't beat weekly or even more frequent catering that other companies have - why is this lauded as being so great?

Require middle management to have management skills, rather than being competent enough in IC roles to be promoted there. Same with IC leadership roles. Stop funneling all of the "lead" positions to a few people and give everyone a chance to prove themselves, not just a few people who you've selected.

Great place to learn

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are definitely competitive salaries at all levels of the organization. Other employees are super smart and willing to help.

Vistaprint is an amazing place to work right out of college because there is a ton of opportunity to learn.

Benefits are awesome. Like, super awesome. 10 weeks 100% paid maternity leave; plenty of PTO; great insurance; great work/life balance.

The current building is nice but the new building will be even better!

Cons

There are a lot of early 20-somethings with limited experience managing both people and products which leads to questionable decisions. It seems that management has recognized this, though, and the tide is changing.

The back end of the website is dated and overly complex. There is a tendency to build and then not tend to the code and not extend the learning once the developer who has created the tool or code has left the company.

Great company, great culture, interesting work

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned with Vistaprint over the summer of 2014, and it was pretty awesome. The team I worked on was very supportive and helpful, the problems I had to take on were tough, but really interesting... but best of all was the culture. Vistaprint, compared to a lot of other software development companies, is full of relaxed people who will work hard to get stuff done to make all the products, from our website to all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but are very relaxed about it. Work/life balance is awesome - managers set a great example of this.
    I don't know if it's necessarily a place I'd settle in forever, but it'd for sure be a solid first job to gain some experience and do some really cool stuff.

Cons

The company is currently working on some major reorganization initiatives, and as a result, sometimes things can be a little confusing (like when your team name changes)... I've also heard a lot about managers who aren't so great, but I have had no experience with that yet.
    But the upside is that they're working on it and improving it.

The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place

Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.