Vistar Corporation

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

George L. Holm

Great place to work, Worked there for 14 years, Progressive company.

Manager - FP&A (Former Employee)
Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Vistar Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBolingbrook location Great management team, forward thinking company .

Consnone good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job.

Vistar is an excellent company to work for.

I have been working at Vistar Corporation full-time

ProsGreat atmosphere, excellent leadership team, not many levels provides the ability to work with all people

ConsVacation policy is prohibitive, limited 401K options, bonus policy is punitive rather than incentive

Great place to work

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistar Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsManagement is good to their employees. Job is interesting and always work to do, never a dull minute. Most employee's of Vistar are long term employee's. Good vacation, sick/personal time. Benefits are good, not real please with the pharmacy portion since they moved to a company that doesnt have a pharnacy in our state which means any long term meds must be order by email. Fair reviews, Manager willing to teach as needed and offers training when needed or asked. Managers help grow their staff to further

ConsCompany is growing too big - too quickly. Owner and upper management still the same, however, located elsewhere and the changes within our organization have been bitter sweet throughout the past three years.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten carefully to the people within your company, but be cautious on reacting to their advise. Research the situations for yourself before acting.

Productive and Relaxed Environment

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistar Corporation

Pros-Educated, hard working and FUN co-workers
-Relaxed and open environment, casual Fridays
-Free Snacks! (if you're in the right department or know the right people)
-Presence of female and minority leadership
-Good place to grow and learn, many employees have been here 10+ years
-Middle management seems to genuinely care about their employees well being
-Growing and expanding company

Cons-Office building is kinda old
-Benefits could be improved
-Could use newer technology in the office
-Depending on who you talk to and which department, some middle management is not well qualified and need training in managing people
-Senior management and decision makers are all older and may not be in touch with new technologies or emerging markets
-Tend to keep people around because of seniority without encouraging growth or further education

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale could be improved with better benefits, specifically something to allow people more time with their families. Allow people to work remotely or 4/10's or offer some sort of child care option. Management should explore emerging online (global) markets and technologies (i.e. improve web presence, improve VistarVision, look at affiliate marketing, social media, etc.) Also, some employees and departments and understaffed while others have too many. Distribute work loads more evenly and clean house with under producing departments.

Overall it was a good place to work

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistar Corporation

ProsThere was a very high retention among the staff, for the most part it was a good overall environment

Consit was often very stressful, it was a sweat shop, they out outsourced

Okay company

Order Selector (Former Employee)
Ontario, CA

I worked at Vistar Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly coworkers, good benefits (available within first month of employment), rewards and perks for meeting quotas as a group for example top few warehouse locations that have the least percentage of errors per monthly error report, the company will treat employees to a lunch in from any restaurant chosen by employees.

ConsLazy management, lazy forklift drivers, little to no room for advancement, low top pay for size of the company considering it's heavy labor (order selectors top out at $17 hourly and forklift drivers top out at $18 hourly), inefficient WMS, weird shifts (decent shift takes around 8+ years to get to), and poorly maintained equipment. Was told by the warehouse manager when hired I have a good chance of moving to warehouse supervisor in the future (was in the process of completing a bachelor of science degree while employed) and the company hired from outside which was a terrible supervisor because the supervisor before him who got fired for sexual harassment knew the new supervisor from outside of work. Basically its a family and friends company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire lazy supervisors, just because he or she has 10 years supervision experience does not make he or she a productive supervisor. Listen to employees more when suggestions are brought up that will help one do his or her job more productively and easily.

Overall experience was okay. Great co-workers.

Centennial, CO

I have been working at Vistar Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is steady work but don't bother to apply if you are afraid of hard work. The benefits are great. Other benefits are offered like cell phone savings and deals for employees only.

Cons"Short staffed" seems to be the common problem in most departments. The bosses have favorites and hard work from some goes unnoticed. Don't get me wrong I was told thank you...but it is who you know not what you know at this company to get a better position. High staff turnover due to dissatisfaction with workload. Antiquated computer ordering system can be difficult for some to grasp.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries seem to vary by who you know, not what you know. I would definitely get a handle on that! Some people work really hard, others flitter around and get promoted. This does not go unnoticed by employees and creates low moral.

Old School

Accounts Payable (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistar Corporation

ProsFree M&M's, Holiday party, decent bonus when it is paid out but not guarenteed.

ConsVery Old school. ERP used is very old, some area migrating over to SAP. A lot of change which can be good but the leadership is very "moody"

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of people of quiting, look into it.

Big Mistake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistar Corporation full-time

ProsDon't work there any more

ConsExpected to work many hours and account for every minute of time, including no longer than 60 minutes for lunch even if it included doing office functions such as buying office supplies, mailing letters, depositing cash, etc. Lot of big brother watching you and trying to get others in trouble. Very little, if any, teamwork. Approved time off cancelled at last minute with no regards to plans being made, poor management attitude.

Worked for Vistar Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vistar Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vistar Corporation CEO George L. Holm. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Vistar Corporation employees.