VisualConcepts.tv Reviews

7 reviews filtered by
3.2
Allison Simpson

Gret place to work, bad place to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Novato, CA

I have been working at VisualConcepts.tv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, very relaxed even during crunch time, and you can bring your dog into work.

Cons

Terrible opportunities for upward movement, a lot of senior engineers are just there to collect a paycheck with minimum work, and dogmatic management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people you know do almost nothing

Small, talented, and passionate team with a lot of flexibility

I have been working at VisualConcepts.tv

Pros

This is a workplace environment where you have a fair amount a flexibility and respect. Our specifications are not rigid and engineers can contribute to the overall design. This is not an over-structed corporation with suits and clipboards. When I voice my concerns, they are taken seriously, even though I am a relatively junior developer. Everyone is passionate about our work and there are a lot of bright minds. We just get our work done and don't waste time with the fluff. If you like sports, this is an excellent place to be. Many people play basketball, frisbee, softball, floor hockey, or soccer at lunch.

Cons

If you're not the type of person to take initiative, you're not going to excel. The most frustrating thing is the nature of the industry's sports video game cycle, shipping games every year. Overall, I think the team is very talented, but our development cycle is somewhat immature, mainly due to the tight time constraints. You will not find much automated or glass/white-box testing, comments, documentation, or code-reviews, for the better or worse.

The office is in Novato, CA, which isn't near much. I would rather work in SF or south bay. The north-bound commute is easy, but if I bought a house and lost my job, I'd be in a bad position.

Advice to Management

I would appreciate more communication from senior management to let me know what is going on. I think we could benefit from automated testing and perhaps some on-site software test team.

Not a great place for a recent grad

Former Employee - Build Engineer in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Build Engineer in Novato, CA

I worked at VisualConcepts.tv

Pros

The company is big enough that you can come and go as you please, and most of the time no one will notice.

You can say you worked at a video game company.

Cons

The management is extremely disorganized. I should have known when I showed up for my first day of work and didn't actually know my duties or job title. It turns out I was being hired as a Build Engineer, though such a thing was never brought up during the application or interview process. There was no training or guidance, which is something sorely needed by someone at their first job. 'Go read the source code' was their idea of training. What source code? Why? I was rarely given concrete tasks to help me learn the ropes or make a difference at the company. 'Think of something interesting that we could use and do it.' That is way too open-ended for someone who hasn't even learned what is needed at the company. It's also lazy. I never felt like I had goals or motivation to excel at this company. From the day I started I was just a cog in the machine.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees better. Make sure they have a clear goal with requirements that are attainable in a finite time. Train your new employees, especially if they are new grads who walk into your offices with no idea of what to do or expect.

play hard and work really hard

I have been working at VisualConcepts.tv

Pros

This game studio has a lot of people who love sports and care about making good video games. This is a great place to start for young engineers or anybody who has a very little programming experiences. You will start implement game features as soon as you become familiar with their tools and systems.

Engineers are laid back and very relaxed. Most engineers I know do not like to crunch everything in 8 hours. The studio has a flexible hour policy. You can show up anytime you want to as long as you finish your work and bugs. There are people who are gaming during working hours, or playing basketball during lunch hours. People here are definitely not stressful and really fun to be around.

There are many engineers who just like what they are doing. They take pride of their works and spend many hours working on their projects.

Cons

I think the studio's culture does not encourage engineers to think outside-the-box or get system design right at the first place. It seems to me that people here are too sloppy and not being efficient at work.

Many young engineers who hope to learn something will be disappointed. The senior manager is too busy to care about your career growth. There is no formal training, no formal document. Yes, No spoon feeding! They are trying to have Wiki server, but nobody really cares.

Their lack of technical managers is also a major problem here. Most intermediate managers have very little technical knowledge. We call them as a "producer". Producers usually take orders from the senior manager and try to push engineers to do whatever their boss wants. Engineers have to be a good negotiator so that they don't have to implement everything their producers come up a week before alpha date.

In my opinion, intermediate managers ( aka. producers ) really need some formal training before start their jobs. They need to know the proper way to manage engineers. I saw many engineers have fierce arguments with their producers. I was lucky that I got along with my producers and had very little conflicts.

And just like other game studios, their compensation is lower than average compared to other software industries.

Advice to Management

Care about engineers or you will keep losing them.

6. Studio in decline

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Novato, CA

I worked at VisualConcepts.tv

Pros

It's game studio with very sophisticated technology that really cares about making good games. It has been around a long time and can be thought of as stable, for this industry. The fact that so many people have had long careers there should mean that some people are very happy there.

Cons

They have zero along the lines of career development or helping you build your potential. They hate sending people to conferences. In terms of stability, they recently got bought by Take Two, who also might get bought by EA. They've really become a sports only house. If you're not into sports, you won't be happy.

Advice to Management

Really, they need to go. It appears that the new owners feel the same way.

7. Future Concept

Former Employee - Art Director
    Former Employee - Art Director

I worked at VisualConcepts.tv part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

when you do your work correctly you will be satisfied; but when you are looking for fututre benefits you will be pro

Cons

like your work and you will be satisfy

8. my visual concepts are real, funny, sometimes harsh too. but if executed properly it can create a good remark

Current Contractor - Concept Visualizer Cum Scriptwriter in Mumbai (India)
    Current Contractor - Concept Visualizer Cum Scriptwriter in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at VisualConcepts.tv as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

it can create a good social and healthy environment

Cons

improper execution, quality is going low day by days

Advice to Management

visualizer should be credited for their work