Vitac Reviews

Frustrating

Current Employee - Offline Captioner  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Offline Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Vitac full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Supervisors are easy to get along with and seem to care about you. The work is generally enjoyable, and it helps a community of people who need closed captions. Sometimes you get to work on really fun shows or movies, and supervisors will try to assign you to whatever type of captioning you prefer to do. Great training up to a certain point. Opportunities to earn overtime.

Cons

It can be feast or famine. Sometimes they beg you to take a vacation day because there's not enough work to go around, but they're usually asking you to work overtime. And you need that overtime in order to scrape by because the pay is atrocious. Starting salary is $10/hr, and you're required to have a Bachelor's degree AND pass a grammar test to even get an interview. (Base pay is about to go up for the first time in years, but the details are a big secret.)

Upper management is so out of touch it's laughable. They tend to be behind anything that makes us miserable: mandatory overtime for weeks at a time or sprung on you last second. Sometimes you find out on Monday or Tuesday that you have to schedule an extra four hours for that week, so good luck making any plans. It's shift work; people are generally hired and put on 3-11, and there's a long waiting list to get on day shift. The higher-ups are so focused on making money and taking on new clients, they don't care what the cost is to the employees, who have trouble even getting a day or two off around the holidays to see our families.

There's not much room for growth because the company is small. Even if you're enthusiastic about the work and express a desire for more responsibility, a leadership role, etc., there's a lot of talk and zero follow-through from management. Yearly reviews are usually delayed for months and months. You're often left to figure things out for yourself if you haven't been trained on them, and you can look forward to negative feedback when your smallest mistakes are pointed out to you and a long list of people who get CC'd on the email.

There's a high turnover rate because we literally can't afford to work there and pay the student loans for the college degree required for this job. We put a lot into this company and get very little out of it. A show of appreciation every once in while, rather than making it harder to get a day off, would go a long way to encourage your employees, especially since those of us who have stuck around have done so because we care about the company and the work.

Awful place to work.

Former Employee - Realtime Department  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Realtime Department in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac full-time

Pros

Good co-workers. Most everyone gets along well and works together.

Cons

There are so many to list, I don't know where to start.

The pay is laughable. The hours are horrible, usually either starting at 2am or 8pm. There's no time to have a life. Mandatory overtime on the weekends. Management is clueless and doesn't listen to the employees at all.

Aside from the measly paycheck, there are no benefits to working here.

Listen!

Management is only in place because of their last name or the fact that they've been there forever. No one listens to the people that do the work. They make moronic decisions, then yell at the employees when they don't work.

Take two seconds to ask the people that have been there are done the job what could be improved on.

Buying a few pizzas a month doesn't make up for all the yelling and horrible treatment.

Run away.

Current Employee - Offline Captioner

I have been working at Vitac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are generally cool. Benefits are expensive, but at least they're there, right?

Cons

Where to begin.

Mandatory overtime sprung on everyone at very last minute with no time to really reschedule your actual life.

Kind of a sweatshop. Caption until your fingers break. Make sure to keep your production numbers up.

No positive feedback. Only negative. Do not make a typo if you want to keep your self-esteem or self-worth intact.

Raises are few and far between. $10 is the starting wage and downright laughable for a job that requires a Bachelor's degree.

Come try to do this job for a week. I dare you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worker Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects, some of the people.

Cons

Yearly reviews often came late and raises were often delayed or cancelled for no reason.

Understand that if someone puts in 100%, it's because they believed in the company and not to abuse their willingness to help out and neglect to support them when they need assistance in return.

For the coordinator position: Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Current Employee - Production Coordinator
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator

I have been working at Vitac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The healthcare and benefits are pretty much the only thing this job has going for it. And we actually got a small Christmas bonus this year, so I guess that's kind of nice.

Cons

Oh, where to start?

Your hours and days off rotate every three weeks, so your sleeping schedule is constantly messed up. Also, almost none of these shifts are anywhere near normal hours. You could be starting your shift at 8:00 PM or at 2:00 AM. You have to be prepared to have no social life whatsoever.

The pay is laughably atrocious. I'm only pulling in around $13 an hour. Keep in mind that this job requires you to have a college degree-- I know people who make nearly just as much as I do, and these people work at Walmart.

There is no room for advancement in this job at all, unless someone higher up quits.

Finally, production coordinators aren't treated well. Management doesn't listen or take advice from employees. If we tell management that something isn't working out, or that we don't have enough people to cover all the work (a recurring theme), then we are ignored until someone messes up because of said problem, and then we all get in trouble even though numerous people have contacted management because of these concerns. Also, we are asked to lie on a daily basis. Not little "leaving out some detail" lies that all companies tell, either. These are some seriously shady lies. The company's ethics are horrible. People who question these ethics are just told, "It's none of your business." Except I work here, and it is my business.

Treat your employees better. Listen to their advice and give them better pay. Trust me-- you'll be amazed at how much employee productivity improves.

pretty good

Former Employee - Closed Captioner  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Closed Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

Hours were good, pay was fine. benefits were very good. Plenty of choices for places to eat nearby. The recently rehabbed offices looked very nice.

Cons

I worked the night shift from 11pm to 7am, and the traffic during the drive back to Pittsburgh at the end of my shift was terrible, around 60-90 minutes. The job itself entailed lots of sitting down, typing at a computer, but it was still a pretty good job.

When I was there, there were strict rules regarding certain punctuation and so on, and it sounded like they were planning on loosening up (as I was on my way to another job in another city. figures.).

Run far away!

Former Employee - Proofreader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

A good stepping stone and resume builder if you're just starting out.

Cons

Unsupportive management, pay leaves much to be desired. Sour overall aura about the place...and you're reminded on a regular basis by management (and those who have kissed the right asses to get in their senior positions) that you're easily replaceable at any point in time.

I won't even bother - they'd never listen, anyway, and are oblivious to the bigger picture.

A business model that takes away from the employees to give to the clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Vitac

Pros

The health, dental, and vision benefits are good and the amount of vacation time earned is good. The headquarters is set in a good area south of Pittsburgh. Plenty of overtime opportunities available. Lots of knowledge is there for the taking, but you may have to teach yourself to a large extent.

Cons

As of 2011, there have been no annual raises to the employees in several years. Meanwhile, the rates provided to clients have gone down. In Sales, there is an Executive VP, a VP of Sales, and a VP of Marketing. There are no VPs for either the Realtime or Offline production groups. The parent company doesn't seem to recognize the hard work done to generate profits. Very limited opportunities for advancement, but somewhat to be expected in a smaller company. Wouldn't be as frustrating if a promotion wasn't the only way to get a raise. Technologically, the company barely keeps pace. In 2011, they're discussing the possibility of moving away from an operating system that's 8 years old. Spreadsheets downloaded from other companies have to be converted backwards to an earlier version of word. Other examples about in Realtime and Offline. Ample opportunities for overtime come from being understaffed all around.

Instead of having 3 vice presidents (an EVP of sales, a VP of sales, and a VP of marketing) in sales, spread the wealth around. It makes the production team on both sides look less important when there isn't a VP in either. Fight harder on rates with clients, quality work from both captioners and support staff a premium. Lift the "austerity" rule on merit-based raises. Very good employees are being lost because the company is not providing them with a solid financial future. It makes employees think that the company's future is weak when it cannot provide any financial incentive for good, hard work year after year. More effectively communicate changes within the company, avoid the secrecy. There is a very strong rumor mill so word is getting around anyway, better to fight it with the truth.

Not a place to make a career

Current Employee - Closed Caption Typist  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Closed Caption Typist in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Vitac

Pros

Good health benefits, very thorough training, hard-working employees

Cons

Incompetent management, conflicting messages from different supervisors, mediocre pay for what's expected of you, lots of stress, very little respect from management

Treat your employees better and spend less time writing up feedback sheets and more time actually doing productive work. Take the emphasis off of verification sheets and your thousand variations of using commas and hyphens. Focus more on getting the job done and not trying to make the transcripts suitable for an English professor. You lose money by wasting an incredible amount of time and effort on grammar that nobody really cares about. Your overall production suffers greatly from this waste of time management.

Overcrowded, overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

I have been working at Vitac full-time

Pros

The benefits aren't too bad. The highest-level insurance with medical, vision, and dental is something like $300-$400 a month. $10 copay. Fantastic coworkers, too.

Cons

Lots of stress because of mandatory overtime, overcrowding, and constant negative feedback. Monthly meetings are often canceled, so there's no real opportunity to speak up about anything bothering you. The pay (~$10/hr with minimal raises) is not sustainable for a career.

Talk to your employees about what would make this a better place to work. They have ideas. This job doesn't have to be so horrible.

Worked for Vitac? Contribute to the Community!