Vitac Reviews

Reset
2.5
Pat Prozzi

1. The company where I launched my career

I worked at Vitac (More than a year)

Pros

VITAC hired me as an Offline Captioner when the economy was terrible, and eventually gave me the opportunity to advance to the Marketing Department. I learned a lot of the marketing fundamentals there, which I use every day in my current job at a Chicagoland agency. I was most impressed by the talented staff at all levels at VITAC and the fact that many, if not most, employees at any given time had been there for over 10 years.

Cons

The commute from Pittsburgh could be very long during sports seasons.

Poor Management, Interesting Work

Former Employee - Senior Offline Captioner in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Offline Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

The work itself, though sometimes tedious, can be interesting.

Cons

Low pay, poor management. Constructive criticism is necessary, but only when it's constructive.

Advice to Management

Motivate employees with positive experiences, not just negative feedback.

3. Caring managers

Former Employee - Proofreader in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility working different shifts. Experience working with television programs. Very busy environment. Great for a person who can wear many hats and likes to work in programming and the written word

Cons

clients are demanding and can be harsh.

Advice to Management

Need more staff to cover more shifts especially on the off regular hour shifts and weekends

5. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Captioner in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

Work from home! Super nice people - I never had a problem with anyone I worked with. interesting work. Good pay and benefits. I have recommended this company to friends. Still the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Difficult to get a day off or plan for a vacation unless very far ahead of time. Can't take off weekends ever even if you get coverage. So if you get an invitation to a wedding next month, you can't go. It can be a stressful job as it is and this aspect makes life even more stressful. (And maybe this has changed since I worked there.)

Advice to Management

It should be possible in such a stressful job to take a day off once in a while.

Awful place to work.

Former Employee - Realtime Department in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Realtime Department in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac full-time

Pros

Good co-workers. Most everyone gets along well and works together.

Cons

There are so many to list, I don't know where to start. The pay is laughable. The hours are horrible, usually either starting at 2am or 8pm. There's no time to have a life. Mandatory overtime on the weekends. Management is clueless and doesn't listen to the employees at all. Aside from the measly paycheck, there are no benefits to working here.

Advice to Management

Listen! Management is only in place because of their last name or the fact that they've been there forever. No one listens to the people that do the work. They make moronic decisions, then yell at the employees when they don't work. Take two seconds to ask the people that have been there are done the job what could be improved on. Buying a few pizzas a month doesn't make up for all the yelling and horrible treatment.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Offline Captioner in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Offline Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Vitac full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Supervisors are easy to get along with and seem to care about you. The work is generally enjoyable, and it helps a community of people who need closed captions. Sometimes you get to work on really fun shows or movies, and supervisors will try to assign you to whatever type of captioning you prefer to do. Great training up to a certain point. Opportunities to earn overtime.

Cons

It can be feast or famine. Sometimes they beg you to take a vacation day because there's not enough work to go around, but they're usually asking you to work overtime. And you need that overtime in order to scrape by because the pay is atrocious. Starting salary is $10/hr, and you're required to have a Bachelor's degree AND pass a grammar test to even get an interview. (Base pay is about to go up for the first time in years, but the details are a big secret.) Upper management is so out of touch it's laughable. They tend to be behind anything that makes us miserable: mandatory overtime for weeks at a time or sprung on you last second. Sometimes you find out on Monday or Tuesday that you have to schedule an extra four hours for that week, so good luck making any plans. It's shift work; people are generally hired and put on 3-11, and there's a long waiting list to get on day shift. The higher-ups are so focused on making money and taking on new clients, they don't care what the cost is to the employees, who have trouble even getting a day or two off around the holidays to see our families. There's not much room for growth because the company is small. Even if you're enthusiastic about the work and express a desire for more responsibility, a leadership role, etc., there's a lot of talk and zero follow-through from management. Yearly reviews are usually delayed for months and months. You're often left to figure things out for yourself if you haven't been trained on them, and you can look forward to negative feedback when your smallest mistakes are pointed out to you and a long list of people who get CC'd on the email.

Advice to Management

There's a high turnover rate because we literally can't afford to work there and pay the student loans for the college degree required for this job. We put a lot into this company and get very little out of it. A show of appreciation every once in while, rather than making it harder to get a day off, would go a long way to encourage your employees, especially since those of us who have stuck around have done so because we care about the company and the work.

Worker Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, some of the people.

Cons

Yearly reviews often came late and raises were often delayed or cancelled for no reason.

Advice to Management

Understand that if someone puts in 100%, it's because they believed in the company and not to abuse their willingness to help out and neglect to support them when they need assistance in return.

For the coordinator position: Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Current Employee - Production Coordinator
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator

I have been working at Vitac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The healthcare and benefits are pretty much the only thing this job has going for it. And we actually got a small Christmas bonus this year, so I guess that's kind of nice.

Cons

Oh, where to start? Your hours and days off rotate every three weeks, so your sleeping schedule is constantly messed up. Also, almost none of these shifts are anywhere near normal hours. You could be starting your shift at 8:00 PM or at 2:00 AM. You have to be prepared to have no social life whatsoever. The pay is laughably atrocious. I'm only pulling in around $13 an hour. Keep in mind that this job requires you to have a college degree-- I know people who make nearly just as much as I do, and these people work at Walmart. There is no room for advancement in this job at all, unless someone higher up quits. Finally, production coordinators aren't treated well. Management doesn't listen or take advice from employees. If we tell management that something isn't working out, or that we don't have enough people to cover all the work (a recurring theme), then we are ignored until someone messes up because of said problem, and then we all get in trouble even though numerous people have contacted management because of these concerns. Also, we are asked to lie on a daily basis. Not little "leaving out some detail" lies that all companies tell, either. These are some seriously shady lies. The company's ethics are horrible. People who question these ethics are just told, "It's none of your business." Except I work here, and it is my business.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Listen to their advice and give them better pay. Trust me-- you'll be amazed at how much employee productivity improves.

10. pretty good

Former Employee - Closed Captioner in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Closed Captioner in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

Hours were good, pay was fine. benefits were very good. Plenty of choices for places to eat nearby. The recently rehabbed offices looked very nice.

Cons

I worked the night shift from 11pm to 7am, and the traffic during the drive back to Pittsburgh at the end of my shift was terrible, around 60-90 minutes. The job itself entailed lots of sitting down, typing at a computer, but it was still a pretty good job.

Advice to Management

When I was there, there were strict rules regarding certain punctuation and so on, and it sounded like they were planning on loosening up (as I was on my way to another job in another city. figures.).

Run far away!

Former Employee - Proofreader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vitac

Pros

A good stepping stone and resume builder if you're just starting out.

Cons

Unsupportive management, pay leaves much to be desired. Sour overall aura about the place...and you're reminded on a regular basis by management (and those who have kissed the right asses to get in their senior positions) that you're easily replaceable at any point in time.

Advice to Management

I won't even bother - they'd never listen, anyway, and are oblivious to the bigger picture.

RSS Feed </> Embed