Vitacost

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said(in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT(in 7 reviews)

• Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart(in 5 reviews)

Unrewarding

Chief Departing Employee (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsIt's a pleasure to work with everyone in this organization who does not have "chief" in their title.

ConsWhat exactly does the chief merchandising officer who makes $300,000 do aside from ask rhetorical, confusing questions?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably should replace everyone with a "C" in front of their title, including yourself, and especially the "chief human resources officer" that no one goes to because she's a terrible person with a terrible attitude.

This was a dissapointing experience

ProsThe product line and philosophy of health and wellness is something I whole heartedly believe in and practice. This is the reason I chose to accept the offer of employment. There are many friendly, smart and helpful people in the company. The dress code is casual as you want and there are some unexpected free foods/snacks/products periodically; but not often.

ConsThis is hard but I will be pointed and straightforward. I am a person who rarely complains, whines, etc., so I won't; I will simply point out my honest cons.

My manager was suddenly let go this year. He was a good manager like most and the reason given was that his position was being eliminated. How true it was; I can't really say as I wish to remain anonymous. There are clicks and social groups here that seem to push people out of the company. Yes, they exist in all companies, but this is pervasive and negative talk/backstabbing comes from leadership all the way down, so that should tell you something about the genuiness of the people.

The company has seemed to have a negative outlook on certain groups. "It's marketing", or "It's IT's issue". This sort of blame game does nothing to resolve issues and creates an internal environment that makes people truly want to leave and not want to come in. The behind the scenes meetings of my group blames this or that group, we do little to resolve and then we leave the conference room without resolution. Not a very productive work environment. I could do a better job at mediating, but I am afraid to say anything in fear of revenge or firing.

The CEO is an old veteran of the business and is effective AT TIMES. A lot of the time, he walks around and is sarcastic when referring to other individuals or peers. He even talks bad about people I work with. Why? This is not professional and does little to HELP which is what he should try to be doing. This is a public company and should conduct itself in this manner.

Firings, quits, attrition, whatever we choose to call it has been rampant during 2013. I am not sure why and am quiet, do my job and hope I am not the next person called into a surprise meeting in the AM or PM to let me know that "your job has been "eliminated" only to find that I've been replaced with a less expensive and younger version of me.

I hope I've been candid and you can see there are issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair and square to everybody no matter what their title is. Stop the negatvie talk, degrading and sarcasm within the company. Get advice on how to turn a profit so resolve our issues.

One odious experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed making friends with the smart people in the organization. There are smart people here. That's really the only pro. I worked with many smart marketing people there; many of whom have left or been asked to leave.

ConsThe cons outweighed the pros by a long shot. As many of the reviews here recounted, the experience was something ridiculous at best. The day to day events are out of Abbot and Costello or the 3 stooges.

The C levels are all gone except the CEO. CIO and CMO both replaced in 2011, 2nd CIO replaced in 2012, COO gone in 2013. The CMO resigned and VP of marketing left in 2013 as well. The stability is unbelievably poor and this has to do with senior leadership and the CEO and the lack of general understanding in the e-commerce space. Strategic leadership is what the company needs. I am not sure why the board does not evaluate what's going on in their ship and do something about it. I recently resigned and am now at a much better company with full benefits, respect and a future.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider selling the entity and get out. Too many people are suffering and if you can't turn a profit in many years, it's time to revaluate your strategy and perhaps get some intervention.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome exciting projects I worked on but my team never got any praises from anyone even though it was pulling in a major revenue stream into the organization.

ConsAll employees are over-worked but they dont want you to log the 60 hours you worked. They want to you to log it as 40 hours- why? If the employees brought a class action suit against this company they would win because this organization is in violation of labor laws. IT and the BI team are clueless, They all still work there. Most talented people I have known have left. They have a wall of shame when projects miss the tight deadlines. Really? Is this how you motivate your employees. Such ways point to a very inexperienced leadership. I used to get free stuff every month but most of the food products were stale. The food we were served every Friday was high calorie and this is a health retailer. They just dont get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell if managment was reading the reviews against Vitacost, they would do something There are bad reviews out there from customers and all issues with customers are happening because IT is clueless. The whole IT department needs to be fired or outsourced. They are one of the major reasons this organization is in bad shape.

Gets worst and worst. Keep looking

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lexington, NC

ProsA pay check and air conditioned

ConsManagement team including Team leads think they are superior to you. You work weekend all the time no family time or work/life balance. Talk to you like your a child and feel like they do not value your work. Nothing is ever good enough or enough. They work on a limited staff but want more work than you can provide, a person can only do so much. Everyone there is trying to get out. I don't know if the CEO knows how we are treated not if he cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employee And treat them like they are human better. Better hours and pay

A great place to loose self confidence, most people who work there are in therapy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products and fun industry, human resources tries hard and there are a few nice people.sometimes you get free products or lunch

ConsIt is a mentally abusive work environment, people are hired with titles beyond their experience so the CEO can drain them of their industry knowledge and then get fired. Interesting business model.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like professionals, give them the freedom to do the job they are hired to do and get out of the day to day.

A negative environment with little to offer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsNice paycheck, in-office gym, sometimes free samples of products. Made friends with some wonderful people. There's nothing else positive I can think of.

ConsNo matter how many hours you put in or how much you help to improve the company, it'll never be enough. After witnessing so many people get fired at the desks around me, I was afraid for my job. There was immense pressure from the higher-ups to reach goals that were unattainable. Save your social life, happiness and self-worth and don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees. Allow your employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Happy, well-treated employees will turn out better work for you.

If you are savvy enough to check Glassdoor before accepting a job offer from VC, do yourself a favor and don't accept it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is not really applicable.

ConsThey run on a proprietary platform. Seriously? In 2013????

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't take my advice while I was there. Why would they take it now?

I can't wait to quit this place

Marketing Slave (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsThe paycheck clears. Some of the people are nice.

ConsEverything else. As soon as I find a better job, even if it pays the same, I'm splitsville.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and put everyone out of their misery.

Going elsewhere like so many others

Marketing (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsPleasant co worker are abundant as well as mostly intelligent people. Sunny state, nice area and plenty of walking sidewalks around the complex as I walk a lot. I also use the workout and showers periodically at night.

ConsThe outlook of the company concerns me dearly. I am an old timer (6 years) and we are not turning a profit still. We are cutting back a lot and even the CEO has dumped millions of his own money to help us stay afloat. I genuinely like the company and people, but we can't seem to turn a profit. for whatever reason. I am afraid it will be a mass lay off so I am currently looking elsewhere. I have nothing 'bad' to say about the company except that the aura is negative and many people do indeed gossip and partake in immature activities like many reviews here state. Personally, I am over that, just looking for a stable and growing company to join so I can enjoy the last 3rd or so of my career. I have seen a CIO, VP, COO and 4 management members leave over the past 8 or 9 months (many by their own doing and many others through 'layoffs' and this has me concerned).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some help to steer the organization to a stable financial state. The current ways don't seem to be working and many employees are creating a negative workplace. Give some sort of incentive like SPOT awards on a monthly basis; this was done over the years, but stopped last summer.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!