Vitacost

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Great job for an 18 year old who lives with their parents, low pay, gossip and crappy hours

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Carolina, NC

ProsIce pellet machine, and nice landscaping.

ConsNo growth opportunity, a lot of inter-office secret relationships and dramatics of the high school kind, no training, CEO getting insane pay increases and I couldn't even get a 20 cent raise after 3 years...they took the discounts away, they took the free monthly $25 in supplements away, insurance got worse and the price got higher, can't keep anyone in HR or any executive position for that matter, for any decent amount of time. From 2009-2013 it has become a different company in the worst of ways, the excellent reviews are fake as well, I know how this company operates...

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thanks.

Quit today - they stole 2 years of my life

(Former Employee)

ProsNice people and genuine friends that I made there. Many people in marketing are of good nature and enjoy their work. Bathrooms and a gym. Desk, chair and water. Close to my boyfriend's home in Boynton Beach.

ConsCrazy executives (CEO, CMO, CIO) who think they're all that and spew positive daisies all day. I left today because of an argument with my boss. She wanted me to update something no matter how long I had to stay tonight. I needed to leave to pick up my daughter and she refused to allow that. She mentioned to me that I didn't know what I was doing and that I would regret it. I walked out after being harassed by horrible manager and people who wanted work on the weekends. Give me a break. I have a life and refuse this nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting fake reviews here. The company is a horrible experience and causes people grief. The positive reviews are from obvious high paid execs who know nothing about earning a low paycheck and being harrased. A joke at best at Vitacost.

Pompous Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice building with luxurious gym and nice offices. Cubicles are great and non stop office supplies.

ConsLeadership is horrible there is no direction for workers. All managers of IT are strange and pompous to others. Just because we don't know computers they treat us like bad people and stupids.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back free health insurance, monthly rewards and anniversary celebrations. Company is suffering through bad times and CEO just has raise to $400K. It is in news.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consider this place if you want a heart attack and dead end career

(Current Employee)

ProsCoffee, free expired products, gym, Florida location, close to lunch spots, brilliant people to make friends with

ConsWhere should I start? We used to have a discount and free products, that is no longer happening. We also used to get free lunches on Fridays, but I guess that was eating into the budget, so instead of keeping that they cut it out and continue to pay executives an embarrassing salary and lunch expense account. The leadership has high turnover; the CFO, CIO (and recently COO fired) positions all are revolving doors with people who are ex cops, unqualified, and come from other companies where the CEO believes they have the magic potion. The reality is that the company is losing money hand over fist, has horrible wall street reviews and is in trouble. They don't purchase office supplies any more either; go figure. A lot of the old timers are just holding onto their jobs because that's all they have; they're unqualified to go elsewhere. The web development area can't even find people to stay; their turnover is high and the IT direction is gloomy and dull. If you are looking for a comical experience, join Vitacost. You won't be disappointed at the circus pitstop.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighten up the trust and get a consulting firm in there to advise you on how to make money.

A Permanent Dark Cloud In Sunny Florida

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsThe building is located in a comfortable, corporate suite with lots of room and the facilities are in okay shape, although quite boring. There is a small gym and two showers on site for employees who get the fit bug. Most employees have a larger desk with dual monitors in many situations. One break room will occasionally have expired products from the Vitacost supplement line available for free to those who are willing to risk using oudated products. The breakrooms have filtered water and multiple, single cup espresso and coffee makers, which aren't bad. There is also an office store that stocks various health foods and drinks that can be purchased at an extremely reasonable rate throughout the day. The list of pros is much smaller than the cons sadly.

ConsThe majority of the staff act like they have had their life drained out and are scared about being beaten up by senior or middle management. At first glance, you might consider the morale a fluke but it's very common. There are no cubicles, only open desks which deliver an open and extremely slice of the office which makes it hard to concentrate sometimes.

The company itself has an overwhelming bureaucracy to work through. Previous bad choices have forced the company to over regulate procedures and pinch internal budgets to nothing. During an introduction to the company, HR will even openly discuss the CEO's new office supply initiative that encourages employees to swipe pens, paper, and other office supplies from other businesses or hotels they may visit as a cost saving mechanism to Vitacost.

Much of the 70s style management in play appears to come downwind of the CEO himself. A veteran of the industry whose experience and resume are long and solid, but also belong in the past, where the name of the company did not have a .com after it. The yesteryear leadership approach is stifling and backwards for an internet company.

This man loves to spend his day on his feet, wandering around the office badgering people with the gut feeling ideas and errant thoughts he had while sitting at his desk. The ideas are mostly bad and do a great disservice to what could be a thriving online retail outfit. Occasionally, the CEO will openly criticize an individual in front of their colleagues for something both sensitive enough to embarrass and offend.

HR appears to be either immune to this treatment of employees or disregard it completely. This group care more about pampering the executives and bringing in warm bodies to correct for their extremely high turnover than they do about supporting a positive working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what industry leading companies like Google and other tech giants do to drive employees and the company to mutual success.

No Trust In Leadership. It is like quicksand.

Creative Director (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsI do not have anything good to say about this company.

ConsThere systems are ancient. NO work and family separating. To concerned about money and not innovation. Any innovation they did do was not innovative. No growth potential and low salaries. The CMO is not savvy and caused a lot of issues with initiatives that failed and cost the company. Let me be clear, his idea. Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real educated leaders in eCommerce and do not lose them. Treat people with the respect they deserve.

Same as most reviews here. Company was promising at one time.

(Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsMany pros made me join the company a few years back. These included:

1. Company provided lunch on Fridays - now gone
    2. Monthly birthday and employee SPOT/recognition awards - now gone
    3. Work from home option - now gone
    4. Company supplied pens and notebooks - now gone; employees encouraged to pilfer pens from doctors offices, etc. so provide their own.
    5. Stable and fun landscape of the company
    6. Company monthly allowance for free products - $100 to $50 to zero - i.e. now gone
    7. Sporadic 'fun' activities like cakes, treats, free products - now gone as well

ConsThe CEO micro manages most departments based on his perceived intuition. I genuinely like the man; he is a generous person and has done great things, but his approach has rubbed me and other employees the wrong way over the past year. He complains a lot about people behind their back while talking sweetly to their face. Very vocal man; not strategic or appropriate.

Many of the original perks are gone, if not all. The company has been watching their purse strings through 2 CFOs, 4 or 5 CIOs and countless managers. The company has a noticeable 'sadness' among employees with a very apparent negative morale. I left on my own after realizing that eventually, my career would be a dead end there. There was constant reminders of saving money and not providing the same old fun type things of yesteryear.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your approach to strategic growth. The company grew from about 40 employees to over 200 in about a year. The cubicles were taken down and there was an obvious tone of negativity among many areas of the company. You're growing too fast and have lost a lot of good talent; some by their own decision and some by your own poor choice of layoffs/firings.

Low Morale Makes Everyone Fail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company will let you work your entire shift before letting you know you have been fired so you get those last 8 hours of work. Because their are no cubicle walls, you could possibly see your replacement being interviewed in the "former executive offices". Like someone said in another post, the company offers filtered-water for it's employees

ConsThere is always a breeze from the revolving doors from employees being fired or having quit due to low morale. Executives continue to get raises and bonuses while employee benefits continue to be curtailed due to "budget" issues. Employees have to buy it's own office supplies due to frugal CEO. CEO "puppets" get preferrable treatment, you can tell who they are by where they are situated around him. The company will use you until they have squeezed every last ounce of knowledge out of you. They won't tell you that you're doing something wrong, they will just use their "recruiter" to find a replacement. Trust Me.. Do not accept that call. I got hired by the former recruiter and that person has already left this god-aweful company. This company is an industry leader in turnovers. HR always looks the other way and sides with the Executive team because they are scared themselves. HR at Vitacost.com is not trustworthy and they cannot be trusted. IT is clueless. All of their jobs will be outsourced to India pretty soon. Someone had mentioned in another post that most of the employees are all ex-Office Depot employees. The place is full of former Office Depot employees who are just drones and do not have any industry knowledge. Pivot tables and excel spreadsheets do not give insight to the what this company needs. The CEO needs to wake up. FInd some qualified industry experts or keep the employees who have been there an opportunity to shine. 6 months is pretty much seniority at this company. The CEO micro-manages every department.

Advice to Senior ManagementVitcost has no solid foundation. It's the "little people" who make the company run. I wonder how the founder of VitaminShoppe forgot about his own humble beginnings. Has he been blinded by greed? What happened to the days of building a staff of industry employees?

Natural Food Company Where Nobody Has Natural Food Experience...or Cares

Marketing (Former Employee) Boca (Ethiopia)

ProsFiltered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said.

ConsIt's quite simple. Nobody (not even the CEO formerly of Vitamin Shoppe) in that company cares or strives to learn about the Natural Food industry, organic food or farming, or anything green at all. It's all about promos and margin.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your old school business mentality, it's extinct, or find a new job. New management, hire people with industry experience or even E-commerce experience.

Promotions, Commotions, and Incestious Hirings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Each employee gets a chair and two monitors to work on
    - A filtered water system for employees
    - Company recycles paper from wasted print jobs from the copy machines and converted to "notepads" for employees to use
    - Company tends to hire employees that were under performers from other local companies so that they can implement those failing philosophies
    - Company Handbook has no meaning, so you don't have to worry about following any of those rules & regulations
     - If you know someone already working for Vitacost, you're a "shoe-in" to working for Vitacost - apply now since there are plenty of openings, but don't think the grass is greener here
     - You're able to purchase your own pens, notepads, post-its, and any other office supplies (but definitely not from Office Depot because half of the staff at Vitacost are former employees from there) with your own earned wages as you are not allowed to order these essential supplies to work due to frugal CEO
     - You'll get promoted if you're able to use pivot tables and Excel formulas, but not based on your industry knowledge
    - You get to spend lots of time away from your desk due to meetings with "executives" who delegate but really are just "YES" people and cover up mistakes and get recognized by projects actually executed by their subordinates
     - Bathrooms have toilet tissues and paper towels for drying off hands
    - HR stands for Horrible Reception to employees concerns and will not dare go against an Executive although HR ethics dictate otherwise

ConsI haven't been able to tell you everything you really need to know about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy your base salaries of $250K plus and your annual bonuses of 50% of your base pay while enjoying your PTO hours, but complain when your employees take PTO.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!