Vitacost

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.2

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 8 reviews)

• This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company.

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Vitacost

Pros

Best work hours.
    Free lunch.
    Paid vacations
    Promoations area great
    Luncheons are good
    Benefits to employees are hunch

Cons

Long hours
    Nasty workers
    Hot humid offices

Bad

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

benefits are pretty good and paid holidays

Cons

Management is awful, they do not know what they are doing. Just a bad place to work

You need to clean house starting with management

Great place to work

Current Employee - Merchandising in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost

Pros

The new management team has dramatically improved the working environment. I have been an employee for over 2 years, and the positive changes that have been made since the acquisition by Kroger, the removal of the former CEO, and and the new management team have been noted and appreciated by the associates at HQ. it feels like a brand new company, with a lot of growth opportunities in the future. The CEO mentioned below ( Jeff Horowitz ) is no longer the CEO, and this has been a very positive development both in the working environment and the growth prospects.

Cons

The headquarters team is very lean, and will need to beef up if they want to achieve the results they talk about

Keep up the good work

Great Place to work, and improving everyday

Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Medium size company backed by large multi-billion dollar corporation.People take pride in roles. There is opportunity for growth if you work hard and are self motivated. Employees treat each other with respect and collaboration. The work is fulfilling, and the company is growing at rapid rates far above any other company in this economy. Really smart people who are extremely helpful in building greatness together, all out for the same goal… More aligned than any other company I have ever worked for. Senior leadership is smart, motivating,upbeat and supportive. The leadership treats you like people, not like "staff"--- People are 'KIND' to one another, and extremely helpful

Cons

There are still some people at this company that are not here for the right reasons, or are burnt out from previous leadership, and not happy. Those people should look at the positive side of things, or should look for other opportunities and not try to bring others down.(change the people or change the people) Its not the prettiest work space, and the lack of space can feel confining. The open work space is not for everyone. The biggest issue I can see is that people that move on from here feel the need to take to glass door to complain, they were unable to bring their negative mentality to "take down" the company while they were here, so they lash out once they leave, or were let go for poor performance. Not everyone will be a good fit within a role, to come to glass door and complain once you've left speaks more about the past employee that left than the company itself. Overall this place is a great place to work.-- Biggest Con… That Glassdoor even exists.-- The negative people on here are PURE sour grapes, and this site shouldn't influence others from joining such an innovative, upbeat and fun company. I have been with the company over 5 years, and have had ups and downs like every other company-- this company's work life balance is second to no other retailer, or commerce company.and the atmosphere gets better with every single day!--

Great spot for starting a career.

Current Employee - Product Sourcing Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Product Sourcing Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

It's a great place for starting a career if you have no previous office experience. Gets you hands on all aspects of the business.

Cons

They play favorites and when do not hold their employees accountable for meeting deadlines. If you already have an established career, this is probably not the best fit for you. Limited ability for career growth.

Hold employees accountable for the things you ask them to do.

Vitacost is a great place to work!

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Being here is like being part of a family. Everyone is engaged and has a sense of ownership of what we're building together. There is a strong belief in our future. Worklife balance is good and I have an upward career path that is clearly communicated. There are so many exciting opportunities ahead! The culture here is upbeat and energetic, but relaxed and casual at the same time. It's a fun place to work.

We also often get free products and have a shop in the office where we can buy low-cost healthy snacks, and there is a gym. It feels good to work for a company that is improving people's health and the quality of their lives.

Cons

The office isn't beautiful or modern, but that will change.

Keep being awesome!

I recommend working here if you have NO moral compass

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

I can honestly say, when I started working at Vitacost over 2 years ago, I loved my job. Things at the company deteriorated quickly. I can't think of anything positive to say other than there are a FEW select people that I enjoyed working with.

Cons

Conditions and the culture at Vitacost continued to steadily go downhill, so Kroger acquiring the company was welcomed and fantastic news. As time passed, it became quite evident that how Kroger presents themselves is all smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately, what you read about Kroger and their dedication to their employees, customers and their commitment to abide by their "Kroger Values" is simply not true. Kroger states their "Values" is their commitment on how they do business with vendors, employees and customers. Their "Values" are pretty straight forward...Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Diversity, Safety and Inclusion are their buzz words. These terms are pretty self explanatory and I believe you don't need to work for Kroger to live by these core beliefs. Despite what is preached, if you choose to sleep with your boss as a means for promotion and personal monetary gain, choose to dupe customers by posting bogus customer reviews to boost sales, lie to upper management and fellow associates to save your face...then this is the place for you! If you possess any glimmer of ethics, conscience, decency, moral code or dignity...stay away. It appears that doing the opposite of the Kroger Values is embraced by upper management. I decided to resign from my position as a manager because I could no longer tolerate watching and being a part of such hypocrisy. Kroger is fully aware of the antics going on, yet choose to turn the other cheek.

I have no advice. Kroger is a public company and is quite successful,, so they certainly don't need my advice! My concern and advise is to prospective employees (and customers). If you have a tough outer skin, no integrity or scruples...apply. This is the place for you!

High turnover place and small pay.

Former Employee - Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn and it's fast paced environment.

Cons

High turnover rate and middle level management may not know what to do about company strategy.

Build a culture to keep the right people.

I was happy to get the heck out of there...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location and a cool dot com company vibe with open office and gym.

Cons

People - specially the management is the worst I have ever seen. If you have not come from the following organizations - The Vitamin Shoppe or Rossetta Stone, you better have a very high tolerance for being put down and thrown under the bus. It is very pathetic and demeaning the way you are treated and some of the people who are posie's to the management can never do anything wrong. There is also a culture of mediocrity and cya with people who have been around for a while - they play the game well and make life miserable for others.

This is for the Kroger Management - It may not be a bad idea to clean house to improve culture and morale.

One of the most unprofessional companies I have ever worked at.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

On a positive note, the merger with Kroger may hopefully instill some of Kroger's employee centered management into this company, hopefully!

Cons

My honest review as of today of this company within the customer service branch:

Customer service is already a stressful job and the management department did not help make this position any easier. The management has not been trained properly for the positions they were given and it shows daily in the work that is done. There is a huge issue with favoritism and unequal work conditions as far as the consistency of enforcing the rules. For some employees rules are enforced and for others rules are simply words on a paper that mean nothing. The pay is very minimal for the positions you are in ($10.78/hr) but the benefits are a little better than normal as far as the medical, dental, vision, etc. The PTO is a joke because of the process of using the PTO hours earned. (Another area where favoritism is showed with who gets PTO approved and who does not.) There is no open culture to share feelings, concerns, or comments with upper management. There is no real room for advancing per say. Advancement with this company is a team lead and that's really as far as I have seen or heard of in a while. The other position over team lead to advance to can only be obtained if one of the 3 leaves. There is, at random times, room to move to a different position (special teams, etc) but this too is given by favoritism and not qualifications all the time. I think the lack of training with management before the positions were given is the core reason why this company experiences high employee turnover and a huge employee job dissatisfaction.

TRAINING! TRAINING! TRAINING!