Vitacost Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
1.7

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 8 reviews)

• This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Work for a Fast-Moving Company with Integrity all the way to the top

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Executive Integrity
    3 weeks for a typical technology advancement project vs. 6 months minimum anywhere else I've worked
    Autonomy
    Opportunity to drive business strategies and contribute in multiple ways including helping to set technical direction

Cons

open office layout (personally I like it though because of the ability to connect & converse directly with our Executives including the CEO)

Continue the unofficial policy of waiting however long it takes to find the right people, rather than settling on someone just to fill a position. In my opinion this is why we have the highest-performance IT Team I've ever encountered in my career.

One of the most unprofessional companies I have ever worked at.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for less than a year

Pros

On a positive note, the merger with Kroger may hopefully instill some of Kroger's employee centered management into this company, hopefully!

Cons

My honest review as of today of this company within the customer service branch:

Customer service is already a stressful job and the management department did not help make this position any easier. The management has not been trained properly for the positions they were given and it shows daily in the work that is done. There is a huge issue with favoritism and unequal work conditions as far as the consistency of enforcing the rules. For some employees rules are enforced and for others rules are simply words on a paper that mean nothing. The pay is very minimal for the positions you are in ($10.78/hr) but the benefits are a little better than normal as far as the medical, dental, vision, etc. The PTO is a joke because of the process of using the PTO hours earned. (Another area where favoritism is showed with who gets PTO approved and who does not.) There is no open culture to share feelings, concerns, or comments with upper management. There is no real room for advancing per say. Advancement with this company is a team lead and that's really as far as I have seen or heard of in a while. The other position over team lead to advance to can only be obtained if one of the 3 leaves. There is, at random times, room to move to a different position (special teams, etc) but this too is given by favoritism and not qualifications all the time. I think the lack of training with management before the positions were given is the core reason why this company experiences high employee turnover and a huge employee job dissatisfaction.

TRAINING! TRAINING! TRAINING!

Not Another Cinderella Story

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

As far as pros, there are some really great people to work with at Vitacost. The paychecks clear, and the coffee keeps brewing on. The company has somewhat decent benefits, but not anything close to benefit packages I have had from previous employers.

Cons

Cons. Where to begin. Well, everything starts at the top. C-Levels. I really cannot fathom how or why they were chosen. The most heinous of the bunch being the CMO (that's merchandising, not marketing). He just doesn't get it - neither merchandising or marketing. He is disrespectful to many people -- and that is when he is ever actually around. The CIO is pleasant enough, but he also doesn't get a lot of things. He's a big kid with technological toys and minions.

Many unnecessary bloopers and blunders have been made due to poor choices and lack of experienced decision making, and as a result, a lot of time and money has been wasted. Higher ups either don't think things through logically or they tear things apart so intricately, the relevance of a request has come and gone.

Favoritism also plays a large role in the poor judgement department. If you're one of the boys - and on their team - they listen. If you're not - forget about it. If you're a woman - forget about it either way! There is no true respect for female employees there. They are shewed away and/or minimized in conversations when they are not around to hear the demeaning commentary made about them. In addition, many of the "promotions" for women are basically done to appease them when they attempt to resign or they start to make waves due to poor treatment. None based on their true skill set to actually do the job they are promoted to, which leads them down a path of failure, and eventually they leave anyway.

This brings me to my next con -- no room for real growth at this company. Maybe you'll have a lateral move here or there if you really hate the position you are in (and you're lucky), but nothing of significance. And - the grass is never greener on the other side of the new role given! Promises are made about what you will be doing in your newly clad position in the company, but none of these promises ever come to fruition. It is all smoke and mirrors to get you to stay longer until they can find someone else to fill your seat. No true appreciation for employees there.

There is no real marketing going on in this company. People that currently make the marketing decisions have no clue, experience or background in marketing. Those hired to do marketing (that do actually have the knowledge and experience) take orders from them, and aren't given any real voice or decision-making power. Might as well hire a monkey. And if you dare do something against the grain -- be prepared to be publicly humiliated for it. HR does nothing when this happens. HR does nothing about a lot of things...

Because of this toxic fog, led by the top down, there are many territorial battles, people doing things purposely in silos, many people not collaborating, communicating or working together and a lot of unnecessary drama. This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment.

To Kroger execs who purchased this company: It will take a lot of work to turn this culture around. Start by cleaning house (CMO is a great starting place). Appreciate the employees. Eliminate favoritism. Listen to the employees with the actual skill set they were hired for and stop letting people who have no clue make decisions. Stop the abuse, drama and territorial battles. Make sure women are treated with as much respect as men - as equals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Experience Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, NC

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing was positive about it

Cons

Pay, coworkers were rude and arrogant, upper management clueless as they constantly changed direction.

Fire all the executives and start over

CC and BW Pro

Former Employee - Yes  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Yes in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

biweekly paycheck clears. some nice people to work for and with,

Cons

two bit micromanaging CEO . no direction, no benefits, no leadership plays favorites against each other, lack of privacy while working, open work area, no perks, if yo take your PTO they look at yo like you are taking something from them and if you dont use your PTO you lose it without compensation. etc.

Get rid of current CEO and replace witha compenet visionary who undrstands dotcom busines..

It was a job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lexington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

upgraded computers and phones, friendly co-workers

Cons

management didn't seem to know what they were doing, the available shifts kept changing dramatically with little notice or employee feedback, animosity between departments (specifically customer service and the warehouse), low end pay

learn the systems better so that the employee can better understand how to use them, listen to employee feedback

overly stress full job

I worked at Vitacost full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of working here is getting to talk/help people all over the world

Cons

Challanges of working with Vitacost was handling being cussed out everyday

Be more involved with your employees

Most Here is Unfortunate But Absolutely True

I worked at Vitacost

Pros

Nice office space, easy commute in a great city. The managers are intelligent and cooperative

Cons

My experience at Vitacost has turned into a stressful circus filled with clowns. There are many people at this company that have stayed over the years simply because they won't be able to find a new position with the old technology that is used here. The software development teams are led by a former military person who became involved with law enforcement; is this what a strategic company should have as their C level technology leader? No.

The development that is being done on the site is old, cannot be integrated properly into any older technologies and frankly is stressing many departments out including development and QA. The IT team does nothing to integrate any type of metrics or performance results ton better their position. With hundreds of competitors on the market willing to sell snacks and vitamins, it's no wonder that they are at the bottom of the list. For years, they have been trying to find the magic bullet to propel them to success with no avail or success. There has been major level turnover (Managers, C level firings and quits) that unfortunately is permanently staining their already bad reputation.

Managers are being promoted to directors, sr. directors without and reasonable justification other than they know how to play the game of politics and drama. I initially enjoyed working their until the former CFO left and then the CIO, then the other CIO and now the CMO and the VP of marketing. Recently, the CIO also brought in ANOTHER person from his previous company as his assistant; I am not sure why this company does not promote from within. This was one thing that prompted me to re-evaluate my career there - new people without allowing internal people to be promoted.. The company was good a long time ago, but now is just spinning wheels trying to make a profit. This is why I left; for fear of an inevitable lay off. So many of my friends have done the same.

On a final note, I would like to say that my evaluation of the company is how I see it as a person who decided to quit; not a firing or layoff. I wished that many other people would also voice their opinion once they've left. Unfortunately, nothing can be done with this company or it's poor leadership other than hope and perhaps bankruptcy or a sale. I wish my friends well and hope the best for the remaining people that were pleasant during my tenure there. May you all find peace and happiness in new positions or your current one should Vitacost turn around.

Change the leadership again, but with board approval, The CCIO and CFO are friends from an old company which doesn't really say much for the CEO's approval. The CEO is a sexist person and is annoying with 100% constant micro management and insults.

Favoritism is the way to work your way to the top

I worked at Vitacost part-time

Pros

I enjoyed the open atmosphere being that at my prior job we worked in separate cubicles. It was a dramatic contrast to interact with my colleagues quite readily being that no matter what department you worked in, you had no task that you couldn't complete without other members from your team.

Cons

I worked at Vitacost for a little over a year. There were several things that troubled me that led to my decision to look for another job and leave when offered a position at a company for less money and further commute. I realized I was driven to this decision as the mood at the company kept steadily declining and witnessing things and actions of people I could no longer stand. I decided working in such a negative environment was no longer worth it or healthy.

I believe the beginning of the end was when the former CMO ( a great guy - and a loss to Vitacost) decided to leave several months after a new c-level employee was hired. It was quite obvious to all that this new exec was clueless. Being a public company, executive salaries are public knowledge. It was so baffling and infuriating to know the ridiculously high six-figure salary this guy was raking in. He created rifts in departments that were at one-time smooth running, is never in the office, at times verbally abusive. He's not the type of person who should have such a high level, visible position.

Another thing I could no longer tolerate was seeing the favoritism the CEO had towards his select few middle management members. If you pretend to know how to do pivot tables, talk like you know numbers, be absolutely hated by practically the whole company, you get promoted to a Senior Director position. A mystery to all.

Another way to become a favorite is to dress like you're going to a night club wearing short skirts and low cut tops. Me being a guy, I can attest to why this would be a favorite by the CEO! All kidding aside, the sexual undertones, open flirting and bantering - truly, after a while, the attention getting tricks became old and annoying. Then, to get a promotion when she too, like the new c-level, is totally clueless, is quite troublesome especially since everyone knows this is too close of a relationship. The speculation of an inappropriate relationship simply can't be avoided.

Threaten to quit - no problem, lets give you more money and a new title. This happened with another of the CEO's favs. Last laugh on him though. This person ultimately quit anyway several months later.

It's no wonder Vitacost can't make a profit. This is a company run by managers, directors and c-levels who don't know what they are doing other than knowing how to play the CEO.

Recognize the TRUE talent you have working for you.

Objectively one of the worst personal and professional experiences of my life.

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than a year

Pros

To reiterate other reviews - they made payroll on time, every time. I found my total compensation to be fair.

Cons

The CEO is well intentioned most of the time, and he can be pleasant to talk with at times, even funny. But he's secretive, selfish, rude, intolerant, and known for being prone to public outbursts. In my 2+ years at the company, he publicly "shame-blamed" employees in front of colleagues no less than 5 times that I was present to witness. Vitacost has bare-open seating, so this occurred within earshot of 100+ people each time. If anybody had caught one of these with a camera phone video and put it on YouTube, it would catch serious media attention.

Everything in his mind is zero-sum. That is to say, if anything goes wrong, it must be somebody's fault and they must pay by being belittled and yelled at. I've never seen people cower at a superior like this outside of the military. I've never seen so many people stressed to the point of physical illness as I have at the corporate office of Vitacost. It was, frankly, disgusting and heartbreaking to see otherwise good people get trampled on professionally and emotionally every day. The games that management plays with the employees, at the behest of the CEO, is borderline psychologically abusive.

Too, and perhaps more importantly regarding the possibility of success for the company, the CEO is simply not of this technological era. He literally barely understands how to work his computer. Others have noted this in their reviews, and they are not exaggerating. But lets be honest, as the CEO, he doesn't really need to use his computer, because his job and his value, like any CEO, is to bring direction, leadership, vision, and managerial wherewithal to the organization. I've never seen such a lack of all of those at a company primed for success. Lastly, he does not understand the intersection between retail and technology, a concept otherwise known as ecommerce.

The business model is sound. To be clear, much of management are not bad people. The rest of the C-level and middle managers, are altogether great, well balanced people who work hard to make a difference. Customers want the products that they sell, and for the most part, Vitacost does a great job at delivering those products. But yet they still manage to lose millions of dollars every single quarter. Its incomprehensible to me that investors keep dumping money into this company. If this company manages to turn itself around, it will be one of the greatest small-cap turn around runs in history. I do hope they can manage to get back on track.

Remove the CEO. Stop make excuses for poor cultural habits and bring in professionals to help. This company could be a great company fulfilling a great mission.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!