Vitacost

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

1.8

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 7 reviews)

• Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Work for a Fast-Moving Company with Integrity all the way to the top

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Executive Integrity
    3 weeks for a typical technology advancement project vs. 6 months minimum anywhere else I've worked
    Autonomy
    Opportunity to drive business strategies and contribute in multiple ways including helping to set technical direction

Cons

open office layout (personally I like it though because of the ability to connect & converse directly with our Executives including the CEO)

Continue the unofficial policy of waiting however long it takes to find the right people, rather than settling on someone just to fill a position. In my opinion this is why we have the highest-performance IT Team I've ever encountered in my career.

Love the CEO & Vitacost

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

CEO is very hands on and is willing to teach you anything to make you better. He cares about this company and the employees that work there.

Cons

No post-its. C-Levels need to be on same plan. Different opinions can get confusing sometimes.

Become a united front. It will create a more harmonious work environment for others. I love that all are accessible and open to conversation.

A non-emotional picture of what this company is all about

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

I am surprised to see such terrible reviews for Vitacost; they seem more like bitter reactions than dignified reviews. To those who are genuinely interested in Vitacost as a job prospect I will write about my experiences here and hope that they help you get a non-emotional picture of what this company is all about.

When I was contacted by the in-house Vitacost recruiter I almost did not go to the interview; I thought that Vitacost was some sort of call-center or warehouse, the name did not inspire me to want to work there. I decided to go anyway and I am glad that I did. When you enter Vitacost corporate headquarters you will be surprised to see that everything is out in the open. It looks like what you would expect Google or Facebook to look like; a large open room with dozens of desks arranged face to face with monitors all over the place to view this or that metric. Everyone is moving around and communicating and it seems more like a trading floor than an office. There are private rooms and conference rooms, and private bathrooms, yes face-to-face stalls would have been weird; but for the most part everything is out in the open. I remember thinking that this could not be conducive to working, but it is. This is a high-tech company with movers and shakers that need to communicate quickly. Also, being around people motivates and entertains you. I get a kick out of listening to other peoples funny conversations, or hearing about their crazy weekend; it is a nice social environment that does not cause the distraction that I thought it would. There have been countless times that being out in the open has given exposure to an issue that my team and I were working on.

It does not benefit anyone to focus on the negative, but since there is so much of it here I would like to set the record straight on some of these comments. Or at least offer my view so that you have something to weigh them against.

Losing the free $50.00 a month allowance for products. This was an incentive for Vitacost brand products only that stopped because of an in-house change to manufacturing, it was not a cost cutting decision, not primarily anyway. Moreover, this benefit was sporadically utilized and it was more of a pain than it was worth. Employees still get a discount on the site, that has not changed.

Office supplies are no longer purchased. This has been greatly exaggerated. Basically it boils down to our CEO not wanting to waste materials like printing paper and the like. This is a green movement and should be herald. The joke about stealing pens from banks is nothing more than a joke, the CEO is a funny guy.

Free lunches were removed. This is true, they were removed, and I suspect it was due to several factors. People were not grateful for the lunches anymore, they simply expected them. And when they picked something there was an audible wave of complaints. Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person? Everyone has a different diet, it’s impossible. I also think that management would rather save the budget for more meaningful celebrations then these miniscule lunches. I personally do not miss them.

The company waits until your shift is over to fire you. Every company does this, be grateful that you got that much more pay before you were let go.

Cons

High turnover. From what I have seen, and from what other people have commented, there has been a lot of turnover; and I completely agree that this is concerning, but it is not constant. There have been some growing adjustments and people have left, but it is not more than a regular company. The difference here is that you can see everything that happens. We all sit next to each other, if someone leaves it’s very noticeable. Also, it’s not like there is a fire-lottery at the end of every week; the people that were let go, for the most part, were people you might have guessed were on their way out anyway.

Shoe-in hiring. This is completely incorrect. I can attest to this because I have placed four highly qualified resumes in HR and management's hands and these people were not hired. These decisions are based individually on need and are not given special merit.

There is a conflict between I.T. and marketing. I work in I.T. and YES! We have nerf guns and we shoot them at marketing. It is public knowledge that our CIO was changed and I can say, having been here prior to the current CIO, that things have changed for the better. Our new CIO is incredibly personable (as was our old CIO) and sharp as a knife, although he is intentionally playful to be disarming. Whatever imagined conflict is no more; we work very closely with everyone in the company as we are always helping in any way that we can. We love what we do and I can attest to the fact that from helpdesk to the CIO, everyone will help you. We will crawl under your desk and fix your PC with a smile and a joke. It is an incredibly friendly environment both in I.T., and in Marketing; we get along extremely well. This is one of the factors that I most like about working at Vitacost. I can speak to the CEO, the director of HR, and the maintenance man all with the same casual confidence. Everyone is down to earth at Vitacost.

I.T. is clueless and will be outsourced soon. I wish I knew how many times I have heard this threat. I cannot comment too much on this but I can say that this is not true. We have a highly qualified and thorough I.T. staff that is not going anywhere. These are some of the best people I have worked with and I have worked in a lot of places. The seniors are always willing to teach the juniors, directors are even tempered and polite, development is always willing to be pulled aside for a question, and our apps support and QA teams are amazing. There are problems, people are people, but we get it done and it is exciting in the process.

This is a company that offers opportunity for those that are willing to bust their ass to get it. Within the first six months I was promoted and I am constantly being given more responsibility. I did not know anyone here prior to being employed, I am not particularly friendly with the management, and I do not belong to a religious majority. I am a person who worked and earned. Not to make this all sunshine and roses, there are times that I am scared of losing my job. But I think that this is because the market is still bouncing back, and I have been laid off before; that combined with a visible hiring/firing process has unnerved me, but fear is all that has come from it. I am very happy working for Vitacost and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is driven.

This company is what you make it; this can be the land of opportunity, or the land of excuses, it’s on you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Leader in it's class. Innovative, fun, high speed atmosphere. Ability to be seen if you are hard working...you won't last here if your not. Never a dull moment. Will learn more here than you will at any large corporation. This company has the ability to be great. Leadership includes pioneers from Vitamin shop, Amazon,Rosetta Stone and Gilt Group... Who know where they want to steer the organization.-- and are slowly getting there.

Cons

Company had previously been staffed by uneducated persons, who felt far more valuable than they were. As the company continues to grow, more experienced, educated leadership was brought in, causing a raised bar, and unfortunately layoffs of the prior regime. this has caused some poor morale. There is some internal conflict between the older and newer associates. Due to the open floor plan, you witness a lot, many times more than you should.

Stay focused on the big picture--

Opportunity Abound and a Happy Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

Pros

I have worked for several large corporations in my career and this is the first time working for a "smaller" company. Vitacost has a LOT of opportunity and as support functions and management find new and better ways of doing things and getting products to market faster - they don't sit in ivory towers making decisions with no input. They rally the teams and get a round table approach to problems and find REAL solutions.

As for the previous comments about "no more employee lunches" and "no free goods" - well you obviously don't know what is important in a work environment. The measure of a successful company, is its ability to grow and evolve. When you stay stagnant and rest on your laurels of the "yesteryear" you fail.

The CEO (as every CEO does) expects results. If you are expecting less from any management team, perhaps you should find another field. However, different from the other companies I have worked at, the CEO here sits with his people, is interested in their personal lives, their education on the industry.

As for the comment about excel skills and no industry experience - the measure of a truly successful merchant is being able to learn the widget, analyze the information about its performance, negotiate better metrics and EXECUTE. I have worked as a buyer in half a dozen vastly different industries and never failed at getting them to grow. Its the measure of your ability to manage a business, not necessarily know every detail of one particular product category before entering into it.

The morale is the BEST I have ever experienced. I genuinely am excited (as are most other emplyees here) and happy about coming into work everyday and feel motivated and encouraged to continue to grow. Feedback is given and performance measured but its an environment where I feel I can make a mistake and not be made to feel that I am not valued because of it. Its definitely one of the best companies I have worked for and am excited about growing as the company grows!

Cons

Regret I didn't come here sooner.

Keep up the awesome work and the company will continue the healthy upward growth towards greatness!

Rewarding

Pros

Exposed to a lot of different learning experiences

Cons

All cubicles have been taken down. If you are someone that likes a semi-quiet environment to focus, this may prove to be challenging.

not good

Pros

very bad to work in team as well as at organization level

Cons

please do not join this organization

It was a job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lexington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

Pros

upgraded computers and phones, friendly co-workers

Cons

management didn't seem to know what they were doing, the available shifts kept changing dramatically with little notice or employee feedback, animosity between departments (specifically customer service and the warehouse), low end pay

learn the systems better so that the employee can better understand how to use them, listen to employee feedback

Very much well rounded

Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

To have been able to do try something different

Cons

Not being able to leave at a decent time

To communicate with the associates better

Vitacost decent place

Pros

good pay benifits depending on what tean that you are working on you might have a good day at work.

Cons

unrealistic goals at times. Leadership really needs to do that be leaders and not like high school gossipers. this is work not a fun house

Other then the obvious i really think that this company would be a better place if they put there employees at heart when they tend to make descions.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!