Vitacost Reviews

Updated February 22, 2015
64 reviews filtered by

The worst job and company I have ever worked for.

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

$100 to spend each month on the website on Vitacost products only. That then got cut to $50 a month until they finally got rid of it all together. Free lunch on Fridays until that cut that as well. 4 weeks of PTO but if you used too much of it you were looked at funny by upper management and could have cost you your job.

Cons

No job security. A CEO with no vision, a CMO that is overly concerned about making everyone think that Ironman products and competitions was the way of the fitness world when no one in the company gave two craps. He brought in all these Ironman products that did not cell. Given stock options but the stocks were dropping. The 2nd largest share holder suggested selling the company and taking a loss. This company is going no where and cannot compete with the other large companies in its market. Vitacost will not be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Who cares they wouldnt listen.

Most unprofessional place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Some of the people I work with are nice. It's a very casual dress policy.

Cons

Compensation is not good at all. Moral is very low. Training is a joke. The call center is nothing more than a room with tables lined up with employee's sitting about 2 feet away from the next person. There are no cubicles. There is one bathroom that one person at a time can use in the call center for about 100 people to use. I have worked in customer service for a long time and, by far, Vitacost.com's customers are the rudest people, mainly because management does not care about customers or doing what's right for them. I was promised in my interview that I would get every other weekend off. That didn't happen. I'm now working every weekend. If you use more than 11 min of after call work time for the entire 8 hour shift, you get in trouble. You get 3 min in 8 hours to use the restroom, or once again, you get in trouble.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin.

An Excruciating Year - There Are Far Better Opportunities in this Industry

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have intentionally waited for several months after my resignation to write this review. This was to provide some separation between the experience and allow me to be more objective in the review.

The relocation package, salary, and bonus (had I stayed to receive one) were all generous. The office itself was clean, in a nice area, and featured a small on-site gym as well as multiple break rooms with the occasional free sample. The samples were typically the Vitacost house brand supplements that were at or near expiration, however. I also had the opportunity to work with some very talented people, who mostly left for better companies and opportunities over the course of my year with the company. There was also a small health foods 'store' in the front of the office which sold healthy foods, snacks and drinks at cost. The company also provided medical and dental benefits, but they were probably about as average as they come in terms of price and overall quality.

Cons

Leadership is by far the biggest obstacle this company faces. The CEO is one of the least likable people I've ever worked with. He shows a complete lack of respect for those around him (except for a small crew of several men who he apparently holds in high praise and can do no wrong), including the other C-level members and senior management. I once brought this up with the head of the Human Resources department, who explained it away with a shrug, stating that the management style is "a bit rough around the edges because the CEO is more of an entrepreneur than a typical Chief Executive." This explanation rang hollow because being a professional and being an entrepreneur are not mutually exclusive.

Beyond this, the company can never seem to pick a certain direction to move in. Instead, the company fumbles from one sale to the next, focusing almost all efforts on short term objectives (the monthly site-wide sale) instead of growing a healthy customer base (the customers who do happen to shop at the site are quickly bombarded with spam level amounts of email after a single purchase). The IT department was also a tangle of new and old legacy systems, duct taped together with fingers crossed that the site wouldn't burn down every night. The IT staff always seemed to be strapped for time, under incomprehensible pressure, and faced with the inane questions of a CEO who can barely operate his own iPad, let alone operate a supposedly up-and-coming online health products retailer.

Advice to Management

At this point, put the company out there and let a decent group acquire it while the name is still worth something. Failing that, maybe the shareholders will recognize the issues and ask the CEO to sell his shares and walk away.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Couldn't find any advantages besides quitting.

Cons

Lack of direction, ego management and lack of strategy. No solution for success in long term...losing money everyday and it will not stop until a new CEO is put in

Advice to Management

Change CEO stockholder!

I just quit today!

I worked at Vitacost

Pros

Check clears and there is parking.

Cons

Company is being urged to be put up for sale by 3rd largest investor. Disgusting excuse for a company. Horrible experience I wouldn't recommend to anybody anywhere regardless of how much you need employment. Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT. They are clueless how to properly develop software and deploy smoothly. Nothing but drama and bugs that can't be fixed in ancient technology.

Advice to Management

None. They will soon be out of business or sold to a leading retailer.

Going down...unfortunately

I have been working at Vitacost

Pros

The checks clear the bank.

Cons

Everything you are reading here is true unfortunately. It has a decent products, decent possibliities, but unfortunately, the leadership team can't make their minds up about profitability. Today's news says that the 3rd largest investor wants the company put up for sale. OMG, more drama here. I have to look now before it's tto late. Google, vitacost news and read for yourself. Also, our stock tanked big time and can't recover. There are so many competitors out there; it's amazing that this place even exists. And the IT group should all be replaced including the CIO who still can't seem to get things straight over on that side.

Advice to Management

Sell and get out while you can. Best advice anybody will give you.

Unrewarding

Current Employee - Chief Departing Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Chief Departing Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pleasure to work with everyone in this organization who does not have "chief" in their title.

Cons

What exactly does the chief merchandising officer who makes $300,000 do aside from ask rhetorical, confusing questions?

Advice to Management

You probably should replace everyone with a "C" in front of their title, including yourself, and especially the "chief human resources officer" that no one goes to because she's a terrible person with a terrible attitude.

Rewarding

I have been working at Vitacost

Pros

Exposed to a lot of different learning experiences

Cons

All cubicles have been taken down. If you are someone that likes a semi-quiet environment to focus, this may prove to be challenging.

Very much well rounded

Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To have been able to do try something different

Cons

Not being able to leave at a decent time

Advice to Management

To communicate with the associates better

This was a dissapointing experience

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

The product line and philosophy of health and wellness is something I whole heartedly believe in and practice. This is the reason I chose to accept the offer of employment. There are many friendly, smart and helpful people in the company. The dress code is casual as you want and there are some unexpected free foods/snacks/products periodically; but not often.

Cons

This is hard but I will be pointed and straightforward. I am a person who rarely complains, whines, etc., so I won't; I will simply point out my honest cons.

My manager was suddenly let go this year. He was a good manager like most and the reason given was that his position was being eliminated. How true it was; I can't really say as I wish to remain anonymous. There are clicks and social groups here that seem to push people out of the company. Yes, they exist in all companies, but this is pervasive and negative talk/backstabbing comes from leadership all the way down, so that should tell you something about the genuiness of the people.

The company has seemed to have a negative outlook on certain groups. "It's marketing", or "It's IT's issue". This sort of blame game does nothing to resolve issues and creates an internal environment that makes people truly want to leave and not want to come in. The behind the scenes meetings of my group blames this or that group, we do little to resolve and then we leave the conference room without resolution. Not a very productive work environment. I could do a better job at mediating, but I am afraid to say anything in fear of revenge or firing.

The CEO is an old veteran of the business and is effective AT TIMES. A lot of the time, he walks around and is sarcastic when referring to other individuals or peers. He even talks bad about people I work with. Why? This is not professional and does little to HELP which is what he should try to be doing. This is a public company and should conduct itself in this manner.

Firings, quits, attrition, whatever we choose to call it has been rampant during 2013. I am not sure why and am quiet, do my job and hope I am not the next person called into a surprise meeting in the AM or PM to let me know that "your job has been "eliminated" only to find that I've been replaced with a less expensive and younger version of me.

I hope I've been candid and you can see there are issues.

Advice to Management

Be fair and square to everybody no matter what their title is. Stop the negatvie talk, degrading and sarcasm within the company. Get advice on how to turn a profit so resolve our issues.