Vitacost

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
1.7

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 8 reviews)

• This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very much well rounded

Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant/Warehouse Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

To have been able to do try something different

Cons

Not being able to leave at a decent time

To communicate with the associates better

This was a dissapointing experience

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

The product line and philosophy of health and wellness is something I whole heartedly believe in and practice. This is the reason I chose to accept the offer of employment. There are many friendly, smart and helpful people in the company. The dress code is casual as you want and there are some unexpected free foods/snacks/products periodically; but not often.

Cons

This is hard but I will be pointed and straightforward. I am a person who rarely complains, whines, etc., so I won't; I will simply point out my honest cons.

My manager was suddenly let go this year. He was a good manager like most and the reason given was that his position was being eliminated. How true it was; I can't really say as I wish to remain anonymous. There are clicks and social groups here that seem to push people out of the company. Yes, they exist in all companies, but this is pervasive and negative talk/backstabbing comes from leadership all the way down, so that should tell you something about the genuiness of the people.

The company has seemed to have a negative outlook on certain groups. "It's marketing", or "It's IT's issue". This sort of blame game does nothing to resolve issues and creates an internal environment that makes people truly want to leave and not want to come in. The behind the scenes meetings of my group blames this or that group, we do little to resolve and then we leave the conference room without resolution. Not a very productive work environment. I could do a better job at mediating, but I am afraid to say anything in fear of revenge or firing.

The CEO is an old veteran of the business and is effective AT TIMES. A lot of the time, he walks around and is sarcastic when referring to other individuals or peers. He even talks bad about people I work with. Why? This is not professional and does little to HELP which is what he should try to be doing. This is a public company and should conduct itself in this manner.

Firings, quits, attrition, whatever we choose to call it has been rampant during 2013. I am not sure why and am quiet, do my job and hope I am not the next person called into a surprise meeting in the AM or PM to let me know that "your job has been "eliminated" only to find that I've been replaced with a less expensive and younger version of me.

I hope I've been candid and you can see there are issues.

Be fair and square to everybody no matter what their title is. Stop the negatvie talk, degrading and sarcasm within the company. Get advice on how to turn a profit so resolve our issues.

Expect the Unexpected

Former Employee - Customer Service/Order Entry in Lexington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Order Entry in Lexington, NC

I worked at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Co-workers , Friendly environment on the Employee Level

Cons

Hired for Customer Service trained for Order Entry was released after 90days. No performance issues. Beware for the pilot programs that get squashed and you go with it.

COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE ! Hire and Train employees as to what
    you advertise you are looking for instead of using them for test that fail.

One odious experience

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed making friends with the smart people in the organization. There are smart people here. That's really the only pro. I worked with many smart marketing people there; many of whom have left or been asked to leave.

Cons

The cons outweighed the pros by a long shot. As many of the reviews here recounted, the experience was something ridiculous at best. The day to day events are out of Abbot and Costello or the 3 stooges.

The C levels are all gone except the CEO. CIO and CMO both replaced in 2011, 2nd CIO replaced in 2012, COO gone in 2013. The CMO resigned and VP of marketing left in 2013 as well. The stability is unbelievably poor and this has to do with senior leadership and the CEO and the lack of general understanding in the e-commerce space. Strategic leadership is what the company needs. I am not sure why the board does not evaluate what's going on in their ship and do something about it. I recently resigned and am now at a much better company with full benefits, respect and a future.

Consider selling the entity and get out. Too many people are suffering and if you can't turn a profit in many years, it's time to revaluate your strategy and perhaps get some intervention.

Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some exciting projects I worked on but my team never got any praises from anyone even though it was pulling in a major revenue stream into the organization.

Cons

All employees are over-worked but they dont want you to log the 60 hours you worked. They want to you to log it as 40 hours- why? If the employees brought a class action suit against this company they would win because this organization is in violation of labor laws. IT and the BI team are clueless, They all still work there. Most talented people I have known have left. They have a wall of shame when projects miss the tight deadlines. Really? Is this how you motivate your employees. Such ways point to a very inexperienced leadership. I used to get free stuff every month but most of the food products were stale. The food we were served every Friday was high calorie and this is a health retailer. They just dont get it.

Well if managment was reading the reviews against Vitacost, they would do something There are bad reviews out there from customers and all issues with customers are happening because IT is clueless. The whole IT department needs to be fired or outsourced. They are one of the major reasons this organization is in bad shape.

Love the CEO & Vitacost

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO is very hands on and is willing to teach you anything to make you better. He cares about this company and the employees that work there.

Cons

No post-its. C-Levels need to be on same plan. Different opinions can get confusing sometimes.

Become a united front. It will create a more harmonious work environment for others. I love that all are accessible and open to conversation.

Gets worst and worst. Keep looking

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A pay check and air conditioned

Cons

Management team including Team leads think they are superior to you. You work weekend all the time no family time or work/life balance. Talk to you like your a child and feel like they do not value your work. Nothing is ever good enough or enough. They work on a limited staff but want more work than you can provide, a person can only do so much. Everyone there is trying to get out. I don't know if the CEO knows how we are treated not if he cares.

Learn to respect your employee And treat them like they are human better. Better hours and pay

A great place to loose self confidence, most people who work there are in therapy

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Great products and fun industry, human resources tries hard and there are a few nice people.sometimes you get free products or lunch

Cons

It is a mentally abusive work environment, people are hired with titles beyond their experience so the CEO can drain them of their industry knowledge and then get fired. Interesting business model.

Treat people like professionals, give them the freedom to do the job they are hired to do and get out of the day to day.

The work environment was going downhill fast when I left.

Former Employee - IT Related in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - IT Related in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual attire.
    I don't really have many good things to say about this company, but I'm filling space because of the twenty word minimum on this field.

Cons

Uninspired management.
    Noisy, open, distracting work environment.
    No overtime, yet expectations of 60+ hours/week.

Would they listen? I don't think so.
    Maybe that's the problem.

A negative environment with little to offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice paycheck, in-office gym, sometimes free samples of products. Made friends with some wonderful people. There's nothing else positive I can think of.

Cons

No matter how many hours you put in or how much you help to improve the company, it'll never be enough. After witnessing so many people get fired at the desks around me, I was afraid for my job. There was immense pressure from the higher-ups to reach goals that were unattainable. Save your social life, happiness and self-worth and don't work here.

Respect your employees. Allow your employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Happy, well-treated employees will turn out better work for you.