Vitacost Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
1.8

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 7 reviews)

• Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One odious experience

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed making friends with the smart people in the organization. There are smart people here. That's really the only pro. I worked with many smart marketing people there; many of whom have left or been asked to leave.

Cons

The cons outweighed the pros by a long shot. As many of the reviews here recounted, the experience was something ridiculous at best. The day to day events are out of Abbot and Costello or the 3 stooges.

The C levels are all gone except the CEO. CIO and CMO both replaced in 2011, 2nd CIO replaced in 2012, COO gone in 2013. The CMO resigned and VP of marketing left in 2013 as well. The stability is unbelievably poor and this has to do with senior leadership and the CEO and the lack of general understanding in the e-commerce space. Strategic leadership is what the company needs. I am not sure why the board does not evaluate what's going on in their ship and do something about it. I recently resigned and am now at a much better company with full benefits, respect and a future.

Consider selling the entity and get out. Too many people are suffering and if you can't turn a profit in many years, it's time to revaluate your strategy and perhaps get some intervention.

Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Vitacost full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some exciting projects I worked on but my team never got any praises from anyone even though it was pulling in a major revenue stream into the organization.

Cons

All employees are over-worked but they dont want you to log the 60 hours you worked. They want to you to log it as 40 hours- why? If the employees brought a class action suit against this company they would win because this organization is in violation of labor laws. IT and the BI team are clueless, They all still work there. Most talented people I have known have left. They have a wall of shame when projects miss the tight deadlines. Really? Is this how you motivate your employees. Such ways point to a very inexperienced leadership. I used to get free stuff every month but most of the food products were stale. The food we were served every Friday was high calorie and this is a health retailer. They just dont get it.

Well if managment was reading the reviews against Vitacost, they would do something There are bad reviews out there from customers and all issues with customers are happening because IT is clueless. The whole IT department needs to be fired or outsourced. They are one of the major reasons this organization is in bad shape.

Love the CEO & Vitacost

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO is very hands on and is willing to teach you anything to make you better. He cares about this company and the employees that work there.

Cons

No post-its. C-Levels need to be on same plan. Different opinions can get confusing sometimes.

Become a united front. It will create a more harmonious work environment for others. I love that all are accessible and open to conversation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gets worst and worst. Keep looking

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A pay check and air conditioned

Cons

Management team including Team leads think they are superior to you. You work weekend all the time no family time or work/life balance. Talk to you like your a child and feel like they do not value your work. Nothing is ever good enough or enough. They work on a limited staff but want more work than you can provide, a person can only do so much. Everyone there is trying to get out. I don't know if the CEO knows how we are treated not if he cares.

Learn to respect your employee And treat them like they are human better. Better hours and pay

A great place to loose self confidence, most people who work there are in therapy

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Great products and fun industry, human resources tries hard and there are a few nice people.sometimes you get free products or lunch

Cons

It is a mentally abusive work environment, people are hired with titles beyond their experience so the CEO can drain them of their industry knowledge and then get fired. Interesting business model.

Treat people like professionals, give them the freedom to do the job they are hired to do and get out of the day to day.

The work environment was going downhill fast when I left.

Former Employee - IT Related  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - IT Related in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual attire.
    I don't really have many good things to say about this company, but I'm filling space because of the twenty word minimum on this field.

Cons

Uninspired management.
    Noisy, open, distracting work environment.
    No overtime, yet expectations of 60+ hours/week.

Would they listen? I don't think so.
    Maybe that's the problem.

A negative environment with little to offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice paycheck, in-office gym, sometimes free samples of products. Made friends with some wonderful people. There's nothing else positive I can think of.

Cons

No matter how many hours you put in or how much you help to improve the company, it'll never be enough. After witnessing so many people get fired at the desks around me, I was afraid for my job. There was immense pressure from the higher-ups to reach goals that were unattainable. Save your social life, happiness and self-worth and don't work here.

Respect your employees. Allow your employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Happy, well-treated employees will turn out better work for you.

If you are savvy enough to check Glassdoor before accepting a job offer from VC, do yourself a favor and don't accept it

I worked at Vitacost

Pros

This is not really applicable.

Cons

They run on a proprietary platform. Seriously? In 2013????

They wouldn't take my advice while I was there. Why would they take it now?

I can't wait to quit this place

Current Employee - Marketing Slave  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Slave in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The paycheck clears. Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Everything else. As soon as I find a better job, even if it pays the same, I'm splitsville.

Sell the company and put everyone out of their misery.

A non-emotional picture of what this company is all about

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am surprised to see such terrible reviews for Vitacost; they seem more like bitter reactions than dignified reviews. To those who are genuinely interested in Vitacost as a job prospect I will write about my experiences here and hope that they help you get a non-emotional picture of what this company is all about.

When I was contacted by the in-house Vitacost recruiter I almost did not go to the interview; I thought that Vitacost was some sort of call-center or warehouse, the name did not inspire me to want to work there. I decided to go anyway and I am glad that I did. When you enter Vitacost corporate headquarters you will be surprised to see that everything is out in the open. It looks like what you would expect Google or Facebook to look like; a large open room with dozens of desks arranged face to face with monitors all over the place to view this or that metric. Everyone is moving around and communicating and it seems more like a trading floor than an office. There are private rooms and conference rooms, and private bathrooms, yes face-to-face stalls would have been weird; but for the most part everything is out in the open. I remember thinking that this could not be conducive to working, but it is. This is a high-tech company with movers and shakers that need to communicate quickly. Also, being around people motivates and entertains you. I get a kick out of listening to other peoples funny conversations, or hearing about their crazy weekend; it is a nice social environment that does not cause the distraction that I thought it would. There have been countless times that being out in the open has given exposure to an issue that my team and I were working on.

It does not benefit anyone to focus on the negative, but since there is so much of it here I would like to set the record straight on some of these comments. Or at least offer my view so that you have something to weigh them against.

Losing the free $50.00 a month allowance for products. This was an incentive for Vitacost brand products only that stopped because of an in-house change to manufacturing, it was not a cost cutting decision, not primarily anyway. Moreover, this benefit was sporadically utilized and it was more of a pain than it was worth. Employees still get a discount on the site, that has not changed.

Office supplies are no longer purchased. This has been greatly exaggerated. Basically it boils down to our CEO not wanting to waste materials like printing paper and the like. This is a green movement and should be herald. The joke about stealing pens from banks is nothing more than a joke, the CEO is a funny guy.

Free lunches were removed. This is true, they were removed, and I suspect it was due to several factors. People were not grateful for the lunches anymore, they simply expected them. And when they picked something there was an audible wave of complaints. Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person? Everyone has a different diet, it’s impossible. I also think that management would rather save the budget for more meaningful celebrations then these miniscule lunches. I personally do not miss them.

The company waits until your shift is over to fire you. Every company does this, be grateful that you got that much more pay before you were let go.

Cons

High turnover. From what I have seen, and from what other people have commented, there has been a lot of turnover; and I completely agree that this is concerning, but it is not constant. There have been some growing adjustments and people have left, but it is not more than a regular company. The difference here is that you can see everything that happens. We all sit next to each other, if someone leaves it’s very noticeable. Also, it’s not like there is a fire-lottery at the end of every week; the people that were let go, for the most part, were people you might have guessed were on their way out anyway.

Shoe-in hiring. This is completely incorrect. I can attest to this because I have placed four highly qualified resumes in HR and management's hands and these people were not hired. These decisions are based individually on need and are not given special merit.

There is a conflict between I.T. and marketing. I work in I.T. and YES! We have nerf guns and we shoot them at marketing. It is public knowledge that our CIO was changed and I can say, having been here prior to the current CIO, that things have changed for the better. Our new CIO is incredibly personable (as was our old CIO) and sharp as a knife, although he is intentionally playful to be disarming. Whatever imagined conflict is no more; we work very closely with everyone in the company as we are always helping in any way that we can. We love what we do and I can attest to the fact that from helpdesk to the CIO, everyone will help you. We will crawl under your desk and fix your PC with a smile and a joke. It is an incredibly friendly environment both in I.T., and in Marketing; we get along extremely well. This is one of the factors that I most like about working at Vitacost. I can speak to the CEO, the director of HR, and the maintenance man all with the same casual confidence. Everyone is down to earth at Vitacost.

I.T. is clueless and will be outsourced soon. I wish I knew how many times I have heard this threat. I cannot comment too much on this but I can say that this is not true. We have a highly qualified and thorough I.T. staff that is not going anywhere. These are some of the best people I have worked with and I have worked in a lot of places. The seniors are always willing to teach the juniors, directors are even tempered and polite, development is always willing to be pulled aside for a question, and our apps support and QA teams are amazing. There are problems, people are people, but we get it done and it is exciting in the process.

This is a company that offers opportunity for those that are willing to bust their ass to get it. Within the first six months I was promoted and I am constantly being given more responsibility. I did not know anyone here prior to being employed, I am not particularly friendly with the management, and I do not belong to a religious majority. I am a person who worked and earned. Not to make this all sunshine and roses, there are times that I am scared of losing my job. But I think that this is because the market is still bouncing back, and I have been laid off before; that combined with a visible hiring/firing process has unnerved me, but fear is all that has come from it. I am very happy working for Vitacost and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is driven.

This company is what you make it; this can be the land of opportunity, or the land of excuses, it’s on you.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!