Vital Decisions Reviews

3.3

CEO

Valued and feeling like I am finally making a difference

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great job for a person who is a highly motivated "self-starter", can work independently without being micromanaged, and is open to bettering their counseling style. One of the best things I can say about Vital Decisions is that the company truly invests in their employees. This begins at their hiring process and continues through thorough supervision. They take the time to find the "right fit" which is especially important for the nature of the population we are working with. I feel as though my counseling skill set has been greatly improved upon and fine-tuned; so much so that I feel like I am a much more effective counselor in a much shorter period of time when working with a client. It was also nice to be brought on in the beginnings of the company expanding because I was given the opportunity to provide my input on changes and see how I have directly assisted in helping us grow. Moreover, I have never felt so appreciated by any population I have worked with. Given that most client contact is based over the phone, this says a lot about the kind of work we are doing.

Other Pros:
    -bonuses
    -gym (small but still nice that it is there)
    -convenience to work from home part of the week (when you have your workflow down)
    -excellent supervision and management support (and we know that supervision is often a joke in this field)
    -casual dress attire
    -FLEXIBILITY. Management is always looking at different ways to improve our jobs and ALWAYS takes our input into account. (I cannot highlight this enough!)
    -freedom to work independently, yet the feeling like we're all in it together as a team

Cons

The job is part counseling and part business, which is not entirely a bad thing, but I can see how some would feel like it has a cold, telephone call center type of feel; especially if you are accustomed to only face-to-face therapy. This is because we are provided "leads" and have expectations on how many sessions we are to have per month. While the expectations are not outrageous, it can be overwhelming at the beginning of each month just knowing you need to start from the beginning all over again. On the other hand, when working in any other agency you may not be held to a specific number each month but there is always an understanding you have to continuously see clients. Since there are stated "expectations" there is always a feeling of pressure to perform.

It definitely is not easy work. You have to be motivated and have a good understanding of yourself to know how to adjust with change and roll with resistance since this is over the phone. It hurts to get hung up on, but the gratitude you get from the next 3 people you speak with overshadows that.

Sometimes management is not on the same page and at times it can feel like the counseling team butts-heads with operations team. This is where I can see how some folks are "cliquey" as stated prior.

Bottom line: Like with any job if you don't believe in the mission and vision of the work you are doing, then you won't see the value or be satisfied.

In most areas I say Keep up the excellent work. I feel valued, overall happy, and believe in the work I am doing. I know we are growing and things need to be tightened-up, but please don't lose the small-business/family feeling we have. The more tiers of management/positions added, the more confusing it seems to be getting and that feeling of being micromanaged is starting to occur.

Great position for Counselors who have a strong, independent, self-motivated work ethic

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- ability to work independently, work in a comfortable, professional work environment and to grow as professional.
     - great deal of responsibility – because no one is constantly “looking over your shoulder” micromanaging you as with many agencies you're expected to do your work and you're held accountable if you don't as you would be with any job.
    - The workload in comparison to many public agencies is much smaller and you’re appreciated for the work you do.
    - offers extremely competitive compensation compared to many similar positions within the field.
    - provides the ability for excellent supervision to further your skills as counselor.
    - expects and encourages ongoing education as well as improvement and building of clinical skills which you will receive in individual, group and peer mentoring and supervision.
    - ability for professional growth, to network and learn from leaders in the field
    - there are multiple opportunities to be an instrumental part of growth and improvements within the organization.
    - everyone from the CEO to the supervisors makes an effort to get to know you as a person and has a genuine concern and interest in your well-being as a person and a professional. Both peers and management are invested in your personal and professional goals and success while working within the organization.

Cons

caution to potential applicants: If you’re not self-motivated and you can’t work independently without someone looking over your shoulder all of the time this isn’t the job for you. If you do not have the passion to really help people in what is probably the most difficult life stages (End of Life) that any of us can go through, this isn’t for you.

Management has an open door policy. If I have any questions or concerns I am able to address them directly wth my supervisor, COO and/or CEO at any time.

A bit of perspective

I have been working at Vital Decisions

Pros

The ability to manage my own time and not be micro managed. Get to do real counseling and not just coordinating services. Company is full of nice people who believe in what they do.

Cons

The work at Vital requires hard work and effort but if you put the effort in it is worth it. I know some of the other reviews aren't as positive but everyone who works hard here performs well and is happy. If you don't work hard then you won't be successful or happy. last week's happy hour was a great example of all of us hanging out and enjoying being with one another.

Fix some of the technology and work process issues that annoy us. It will make our lives easier and more enjoyable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

turn and run away

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. gym membership 2. casual dress

Cons

This is a sham set up. All we really do is talk people into less aggressive care so they use less insurance $. Management is moody. They change rules and policies all the time and "forget" to tell you. Supervision is a complete joke too. Almost every one of my coworkers are looking for other jobs. High turn over rate since I have been here.

stop lying to your employees and stop harrassing minorities who work here. I cant wait to get out of here.

Apr 15, 2013Chief Operating Officer

The comment above stating that we are encouraging people to choose cheaper options for their care is completely not true. At no time in our training, supervision or service does that occur. It is ... More

Very happy working here

Current Employee - Sr. Operations Coordinator  in  Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Sr. Operations Coordinator in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am a current employee with Vital Decisions. I can honestly say that I love my job. The company is growing rapidly, which is opening up more opportunity for growth for everyone.
    I may seem biased, but I am very happy all around in my job. I have been blessed to have wonderful mentors. I work with people who, I feel, have valid opinions and strategies in order to make the company run efficiently. Management will work on your strengths to help guide you in the right direction. I believe in the company's objective.

Here are some of the pros:

You can earn a chance to work from home a few days a week.
    You are absolutely making a difference in people’s lives.
    Career growth opportunity.
    In my experience, Management is willing to assist in any way they can.
    The dress code is casual.
    The hours are flexible.
    Free gym membership from the building.

Cons

In my opinion, the place can be a little cliquey at times, but I guess that really can be anywhere.

Honestly, I cannot think of much. Management seems to be helpful. If you ask for help, they are willing to assist.

Apr 15, 2013Chief Operating Officer

Thank you so much for your comments. We try hard to be supportive of our employees and are always looking for ways to improve our service to our clients and our staff. We recently completed an ... More

Rewarding Work

Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor  in  Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor in Edison, NJ

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Vital Decisions. I found it truly rewarding to offer my ear and compassion to people in a very difficult time in their lives, and to help them to talk about what was important to them. It was especially heartwarming when you could help people to make a difference in their lives by advocating for themselves. The people I spoke with were grateful for the conversations, even if they were sometimes difficult to have.

Cons

Working on the phone can be challenging. Even though these people had advance notice that I would be calling, there were plenty of times when I left voice messages or had to look for an updated phone number. When I got someone on the phone who really needed my help though, it was all worth it.

Apr 15, 2013Chief Operating Officer

We could not agree more. The service we are providing is unique and not being provide anywhere else. It is truly rewarding. We see this every day when our counselors witness their clients ... More

Red flag

Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor  in  Millburn, NJ
    Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor in Millburn, NJ

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was OK for the first few months when learning the job. All the managers seemed so nice and helpful.

Cons

They didn't tell me everything during the interview process. There are quotas that they never said anything about.And there were changes in the rules all the time. The pressure to talk to as many people as possible was overwhelming. We didn't know what to expect next. They are not very professional either. They tell other people you are going to get fired before they tell you. They also don't tell you that you are not doing what they want until they fire you.

If you are a minority, they don't like you too much either.

Think things out before you tell everyone what to do. Otherwise, you change it too much and it is confusing.

Apr 15, 2013Chief Operating Officer

Vital Decisions has gone through changes at a rapid pace in an effort to provide the highest quality services to our clients. However, admittedly the pace may have been too fast at times. We have ... More

Terrible place. I wish i wasn't fooled to believe that the company was focused on helping sick people.

Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor
    Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time

Pros

If you are actually able to have time to help your sick clients then it can be a very rewarding job. The amount of time that you are afforded to do this is nearly 0 because you are told to focus on getting new clients. You would need to work 80 hours a week in order to be able to help sick people and that would be out of your own time and money.

Cons

No time to help sick people. After one- three months of training where you are made to believe that the company's goal is to help sick people learn to have a better quality of life, are then told that you must obtain a certain amount of new clients through cold calls. Are supposed to spend 99% of your time working reaching out to your cold call list in the hopes of one of them answering and being able to bill for them. Focus is not on the sick people that you have already spoken to and billed for. All the management cares about is money and getting new billable clients.

Stop misleading the people you hire about the company's goals and intentions. Tell people that you are there to make money from the insurance company by encouraging their members to choose less aggressive treatment. Tell the people you hire that this is a sales job and not a counseling job and stop hiring people who actually care about helping sick people.

Apr 15, 2013Chief Operating Officer

The above author is correct in stating that there are expectations. These are clearly explained to all new recruits. It should be noted that almost all of our counselors meet these expectations and ... More

Worked for Vital Decisions? Contribute to the Community!