Vital Images Reviews

Reset
3.7
Jim Litterer

1. Great place to work!

I have been working at Vital Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vital allows me to work from home since I did not want to move to Minneapolis. My boss(es) trust me to do my job and do not micro-manage at all. It is wonderful! My colleagues are also really supportive and we all have a team mentality in our department. Vital is involved in the local community and management is supportive of community service by granting 2 paid days to each employee that wants to volunteer. Vital also supports living a healthy lifestyle by providing monetary rewards for healthy activity.

Cons

I do not have a clear vision for my career path. I love what I do, but I don't know what the next steps for advancement are. Working from home has a negative side to things - I feel a little out of touch with colleagues & I miss out on much of the camaraderie & inside jokes.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for all employee levels to lead. Everyone has ideas, so that is an untapped world of knowledge you should take advantage of.

2. software development manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Vital Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong team and a good company vision. Very friendly environment. Very open company, stroll into executive offices to raise your questions and have it answered with a welcoming face. This is strange to be able to do in a company this size.

Cons

Company is growing fast (which is a pro), managing that growth is a good challenge that is currently being faced (and overcome).

Advice to Management

Conte pursuing and communicating company vision and it's successes and challenges.

Great people, cool products, nice environment

Current Employee - Manager of Software Development in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Manager of Software Development in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Vital Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vital engineering has a conscious policy of trying to hire the best. It can take a long time to fill a position, but everyone around me is top talent. One of our slogans is "What we do matters", and it is true. You feel good writing software that will improve healthcare and save lives. You also always worry about making a mistake that could harm someone. The two track system between management and engineering is very real - you can continue to move up the ladder without having to go into management.

Cons

Medical devices are regulated by the FDA, and that can come with burdensome process and documentation requirements. And by all accounts, our quality and regulatory group is more burdensome than most.

Advice to Management

Don't bite off more than we can chew. Just once I would like to be on a project that gets to its release date without any drama.

5. Excellent coworkers, meaningful work

I have been working at Vital Images full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've never worked on anything this meaningful or impactful before - this is nothing like writing software for an insurance company or bank. Plus, the people I work with on a daily basis are some of the smartest and hard working that I've ever encountered.

Cons

Working in a regulated industry can be frustrating at first, extra paperwork, etc.

Advice to Management

Don't try to take on so many projects at once, let the developers have more time and space to innovate.

6. Great experience doing web development

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Awesome team, manager, environment. Good facilities on site, and on the campus. I like having the Mariott close for break/after work activies

Cons

Lack of flexibility some times

Advice to Management

Stay more in touch with employees and interns

7. Stable and Meaningful company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Vital Images full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We develop really amazing software that helps save lives, so you feel good coming to work every day. We also have great benefits! We get free fruit, massages on Fridays, and fun employee activities every month!

Cons

Our company really likes to promote from within, and moving to a new level is fairly common. However, moving to a new position is often based on whether the position is considered to be a business need and there is budget allocated for that position. It can take a bit longer for a person to move into a new role within the company.

Advice to Management

I think we have a great culture, but management could work to boost this even more, and call positive attention to it.

8. Life saving product.

Pros

Plenty of parking, large cubicles, trails around the building.

Cons

Over the top on wellness in lieu of career development.

Advice to Management

Provide career development options beyond tuition reimbursement. Allow people to development their own wellness initiative instead of following a canned program.

9. ISC - Healthcare Software Advanced Visualization

Former Employee - Integration Services Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Integration Services Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

GREAT employees, brilliant people, product that is highly accepted in the market. Toshiba has allowed for more resources for R&D without much other interference!

Cons

Certain management should be held more accountable. Several managers use the company for their benefit and do not make decisions in the best interest of the company. Some political wrangling can detract from an exciting company and product. Single line of business without much new innovation. STILL have trouble delivering bug free software on time.

Advice to Management

Spend time holding people accountable for failures especially managers. Manage R&D well. Be sure product delivered on time and without major bugs.

10. Incredible Opportunity to change the face of healthcare - stifled by conservative management team.

Former Employee - Senior Engineering in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Vital Images full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technology stack, customer base and the engineering and sales teams. All of which are absolutely top tier (other than the Engineering leadership)

Cons

The culture and the management team. The profound lack of "getting it" about the asset they have in the engineering team countered by the astounding liabilities they have at the executive levels.

Advice to Management

Take a risk on something. Anything. You may actually learn something that you don't "already know".

11. Awesome products, many good people, culture is kind of routine/normal a little boring, but good for family types.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Vital Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing medical imaging software, some of the very best in the world Feel good about helping sick people Some very bright people write software there

Cons

Located in the western burbs so is a long commute for some Not a lot of room to grow once you hit a certain point - the most interesting work is taken by people who have been there a while. The mgmt showed a real cutthroat side, and lack of imagination, in 2008 by laying off 40% of the workforce

Advice to Management

Liven up the culture, encourage more innovation by your employees and you'll be surprised by what they can do

RSS Feed </> Embed