Vitals

Updated November 1, 2014
2.7

Vitals Co-Founder & CEO Mitch Rothschild
Mitch Rothschild

overall happy with my job

I have been working at Vitals

Pros

great company to work for with great people

Cons

disorganized and needs help with client management

A short stay at Vitals

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in New York, NY

I worked at Vitals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like what they do and I liked the CEO. They were understanding of my leaving and went out of their way to make things right for me. It was more than I expected and I'm grateful.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was unable to do my job because of one particular employee and felt it was best to remove myself. Outside of that, I enjoyed the job.

It's hard to give advice without knowing the specifics of why one person was allowed to operate in such an unprofessional manner. There are things I'm sure I don't know about the situation. I can't give someone advice when I'm not in their shoes.

Terrible choice of career for anyone who has their head screwed on

I have been working at Vitals

Pros

None that I can think of apart from a weekly paycheck for now

Cons

Bad culture, rotten ethics stay away

Get out before someone does it for you

Anonymous

Former Employee - Sales in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Lyndhurst, NJ

I worked at Vitals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people working at the NJ office, management seems to care about employees.

Cons

NY team controls all aspects of the company by force resulting in unhappy employees who cannot do their jobs and for some reason are afraid to speak up.

Cons says it all ^^

Product Managemetn

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Open office environment in heart of SoHo

Cons

Long hours - everyone works long because others are just 'there'
    Management seems to have anterior motives solely focused on how to get sales/clients and an easy way to exit
    Not a clear roadmap and thus priorities shift as do timelines which cases rework

Train better and have a clearly defined roadmap and expectations

An absolutely great place to work

I have been working at Vitals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vitals has been my favorite place work. Management takes the time to recognise contribution and talent. They pay fair salaries. 98% of the people I work with are always friendly and very professional. Working during normal hours and not overworking yourself is always encouraged. Management conducts a town hall style meeting once a month to bring everyone up to date with how the company is doing and to get feedback from employees. The CEO is very competent and cares greatly about the company and it's employees.

Cons

Project management could use some TLC. There are always several projects in development on different schedules and requiring varying resources. I believe it's too much for one, or even two people to manage. This can make for a very stressful environment, especially during project planning meetings. Resources feel a bit misappropriated.

Maybe consider hiring additional project managers to help with the high project loads as of late. People who can really focus on individual projects and the needs within. Other than that, keep being awesome.

Trying so hard to do right; usually doesn't understand what "right" is.

I have been working at Vitals full-time

Pros

The large percentage of the people you will work with, in any office, are good people. Lots of intelligence across almost all departments. They try very hard to make it a happy place with miscellaneous perks. HR had a problem with lack of experience; new head of department perfect for repairing that. CEO willing to listen and wants you to be happy (you probably won't change his mind though). Opportunity for knowledge growth.

Cons

The few people who aren't the "good people" are like well placed secret bombs in the company infrastructure. It's like someone designed the company's org chart as an impossible video game dungeon; eventually you will hit a problem child. Sadly, they are so well rooted in their respective areas that it's unlikely these poison apples will ever get trimmed. Miscellaneous perks are all very nice; but really, who cares about an unplugged arcade emulator and themed breakfasts in comparison to workspace issues, salary concerns and long standing unresolved problems. Company still does the startup-esque excuse of "work hard now because we're in a sensitive stage" as they dangle your stock options in front of you during your 50-60 hr work week. Concepts and processes built on old thoughts and faulty foundations that seemingly will never get truly ripped down for better infrastructure in the name of "moving forward". Knowledge may be ready available; the chance to learn new stuff may be there, but good luck getting actual promotions that aren't just title only. Even lateral moves are near impossible, unless you're in the right column of the org chart to begin with. Morale isn't horrific, but I certainly wouldn't even call it neutral.

Be straight, with your employees, with your investors, with your partners and clients. You've done a great job, but a lot of technology is going to crumble. Stop "striking while the iron is hot"; if you don't have enough people to handle it now, I don't care that this is the best chance to get more business. Fix your foundation before building more levels. Take a good, hard look at the inequalities between locations and departments; there's a reason NYC people smile more than the other 3 locations. Why not just put a jacuzzi and a steam room in that trophy of an office? Giant waste of money in the name of claiming we're in the city + ridiculous pressure of select employees who didn't like the commute to NJ.

Room to be Creative

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Treated like a valuable employee. People trust me to test new methods without judgement. Beautiful NYC office. Startup feel. CEO is very available, will sit down to talk. HR is on top of things.

Cons

Traveling to New Jersey for the monthly staff meeting can be a pain if you don't have a car.

It would be nice to have more internal lunches, like a monthly pizza party in the conference room. NYC office should have a comped gym like the NJ office does (I know that is probably cost prohibitive, but still... a gym would be great).

Great place

I have been working at Vitals full-time

Pros

The people are great, the projects are challenging. Good processing. Everyone is dedicated

Cons

I could see no cons so far

A fast-paced Medical Directories Pioneer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Vitals full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Many employees highly believe in our company's values and vision. We are arming the society with transparency in health care
    The atmosphere at the headquarters in Lyndhurst is very laid-back.
    -There is no formal attire required, just casual.
    -The CEO is transparent and very sociable. He is always the first one in the office and the last one out. He is always in the office on holidays and snow days.
    -HR hosts an events committee- there are monthly events in the office excluding monthly company-wide meetings followed by a "Thursday Thursday"
    -Perks- free hot yoga membership and gym membership at a local gym (this facility is old)
    -Annual Bonuses
    -Start-up feel

Cons

-HR is very controlling, very fake, up-tight, unapproachable
    -High turn over rate
    -Rapidly expanding employee count but focused in the wrong positions= too many directors and too much micromanagement
    -Lack of training is the most popular complaint. It is barely offered to new employees.
    -Small office space
    -Barely any perks- no 401K

Invest in your current employees instead of blindly hiring new employees. The employees here need adequate training. If you supply employees with training, they will be more committed to their roles.