Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.6

Kemper Isely

Pros
  • Good benefits, good employee discount, good people to work with (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome non management coworkers, great products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the people in the home office are not familiar with the employee handbook (in 15 reviews)

• They treat assistant and store managers like a pressure cooker and leads to high turn over (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits and a great Culture.

Cons

Changing schedule and strict rules.

Great Discounts Nightmare Management

Former Employee - Health and Beauty Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Health and Beauty Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While the cons outweigh the pros of being employed by this company, the discount on grocery items and supplements is quite nice and shows the company cares about their employees having access to healthy foods and supplements in order to represent the wellness industry appropriately. Continuing education and having the ability to try new products was great- if you are sincerely interested in nutrition and wellness these things will mean a lot to you

Cons

While the education and training received is commendable by the company- having to go to product education meetings early mornings on your regularly scheduled day off kind of defeats the idea of a company "devoted" to wellness. The real reason I left this company despite being fairly happy with my position and pay was I was bullied and harassed endlessly by the general store manager to the point that I dreaded going into my job daily. I have never had this experience in any other position I have ever held and did not know how to cope with the type of inappropriate interaction that myself as well as other employees were subjected to on a daily basis. This was reported to Human Resources on numerous occasions without any follow up. I finally quit my position there and moved on. I recently spoke to an acquaintance that had the same experience with this company.

My advice is to company owners and those who hire overall store management- don't hire mentally unstable people to manage your stores

Great Managers

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time

Pros

pay is decent for college graduate, Store manager really does work hard for the store, interaction with outside sales reps and networking easily available.

Cons

Natural Grocers offers low prices, which means lower profits, and no extra hours for help. Hours for the store is really dictated by sales. if you have a few slow days it really hurts the store in hours given to operate the store. so expect a lot of struggling.

Nothing for store management, but maybe upper management. the stores that are on the edge of being able to afford more personal but cant, just give them the hours, because the store personal is over worked in that limbo area.

I love the customers and the staff.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone tends to have the same goal, health and bettering themselves.

Cons

Lack of consistency in scheduling but that's retail.

Don't get caught telling yourself "it's just a job" employees should never get treated that way.

Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant for Vitamins/Body Care in Dillon, CO
    Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant for Vitamins/Body Care in Dillon, CO

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Benefits and Paid Time Off. What the store sells for the prices it allows is really valuable for the customer.

Cons

Be advised this is for the Dillon Store it may be a different story with some complaints vs. other stores.
    - When hired was told would get a 90 day review and a raise, two weeks before the review came up the company decided to do away with it. No gradfathered in, no incentive, no nothing just a lie.
    - Current management has no experience with the way the store is run. Be prepared to be called out for everything, for instance we have chores and her inspections are in the morning. Three times I've been called out for not doing my chores when I clocked out at 5:30 so of course the chores may get dirty again while the store is open. Just wanting an excuse to tell people there doing something wrong.
    - Do not believe them when they say they promote within! Unfortunately myself and a couple other employees who are locals of the county have been denied upper positions because they want to hire from outside. NO LOCAL SUPPORT. So they hire people from the outside that end up quiting a couple months later because they hate how poorly the store is run.
    - No training, there's two employees that work here that actually know what they're doing when it comes to ordering. So be prepared to tell a customer at least once a day, sorry we're out of that product.
    - Two employees yesterday just got written up for talking for 12 mins, one of those employees has a review coming up. Weird? Right.
    - I applied for a higher position and didn't get it and since we have no form of training I have to train that employee and do half of her orders, do I get paid any extra? Nope.

Listen to the people that are getting paid under 13$ an hour and be supportive, this county's economy wants to get rid of those underclass workers. By not showing support or caring for those who can hardly afford dinner on the table is just downright disrespectful. Those workers who show up to work on time, rarely call out, and do their job are what's important because there's a small percentage of people who are crazy enough to live out here and enjoy it. Stop nitpicking, hire up within, and show your local support and be appreciative of what you have.
    We understand that it can get stressful but acting maliciously with your upper management power is never going to get anyone's support.
    Do not say you're going to do something and not do it!! Real world and business advide, that's the fastest way to loose someone's trust.

NGVC was a good retail experience.

Former Employee - Store Support in Kalispell, MT
    Former Employee - Store Support in Kalispell, MT

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers were awesome!

Cons

Over worked and under paid.

Run!

Mom and Pop chain grows into a Corporation

Current Employee - Support Staff
    Current Employee - Support Staff

Pros

Good benefits. No sick days, all included in days off. Enjoy what the company represents. Full time employees.

Cons

They run such a small crew, that everyone has to be able to multi-task and do the work of 2 or 3 people. Raises are not the norm anymore and if you get one it's no more than 50 cents.

Remember its your employees that keep the company rolling along. Running small crews, with no raises makes me think the Mom and Pop are gone, Natural Grocers is just another corporation now. And it does not care about its employees as much as NG claims. Now the bottom line is paying its investors.

My experience of work environment was infantile. My solution is change and to grow with a different Company.

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone if your just out of high school, due to a brash environment. You'll become sagacious with all products.

Cons

Overworked-underpaid! They work on a "skeleton" crew, also extended hours with less help. Management has the watering can, rarely watering the plants; "metaphor."

The point of departure is not what I can advise due to a myriad of unanswered quality ragamuffin issues. But wether or not management sees a way to break its incestuous bull headed attitude?

Company caught in time warp, wants to play with the big boys but has a child
    mind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can not think of any

Cons

You are a machine, work in uncomfortable atmosphere

Learn how to value your biggest assets - your employees

World class customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Steamboat Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Steamboat Springs, CO

Pros

Love the family atmosphere and everyone was willing to help to teach you everything!

Cons

The worst part of working at my store was that they cannot pay me well enough. Even when I was getting perfect reviews their maximun raise was only .50 cents.

The Steamboat springs location in Colorado should be used as a blue print for all stores.

Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers Photos