Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers

www.naturalgrocers.com

Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Kemper Isely

Pros
  • Good benefits, good employee discount, good people to work with (in 14 reviews)

• Good discount and free money for food loaded every payday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the people in the home office are not familiar with the employee handbook (in 14 reviews)

• They treat assistant and store managers like a pressure cooker and leads to high turn over (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job

Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) Idaho Falls, ID

ProsVitamin bucks, good insurance. Great hours. Great schedules. Fresh produce. Discounts on everything.

ConsI was hired as a Dairy Frozen Manager based on my experience of 14 years in retail and customer service. Trained in Denver. During building the store I was demoted. Put in receiving. 8 months after opening I've been passed over many times because of religion. All management is lds. Recetly passed over by someone younger and no experience even though I had been doing the job. In our store you have to be a Mormon or a butt kisser to get ahead. It isn't about what u know but who u know. The district manager and HR did not do anything when I was retaliated against for writing a formal complaint. I'm very discouraged and afraid for my job.

Great Benefits Great Company!

Cashier (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat employee discount, money to put towards groceries every paycheck on top of regular pay, friendly work atmosphere, competitive pay and great people. Natural Grocers is great about promoting from within.

ConsLike every company there are always those who are not team players or come to work with a negative attitude who can bring down the team environment that Natural Grocers tries to create. It would be nice if the company had some clear cut policies for employees to give feedback, good or bad, where they did not feel the need to vent online making the company look bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the reviews on here and try to create an atmosphere where employees feel they are enabled to speak openly within the organization. This may prevent some of undeserving negative reviews.

Here's the deal...

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe company has high standards for the products they sell. Leaders in environmental and organic issues. Customers love shopping here. Decent pay for retail grocery with added benefit of "Vitamin Bucks" where the company adds money onto a card you can shop with.

ConsAfter reading most of the 70 reviews, I've drawn the following conclusions: Some of the reviews are of the fluff planted variety and others are people obliviously upset and venting. The commercials are ridiculous. Since the company went public there is more pressure to show a profit. In my opinion, they are expanding way too quickly and the new stores (often not located properly) are struggling while the established ones just can't carry the burden of showing an overall company profit. High turnover is common at the newer locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down the new store openings and let the existing ones catch up to speed. Don't become a workplace with a typical grocer mentally. Reinstate the capability for up to $1.00/hour increase instead of the current 50 cent maximum. Don't make it increasingly impossible to qualify for bonuses (we work hard at what we do). Better marketing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A job a truly enjoyed going to every day.

Temp Receiving Manager (Former Employee) Northglenn, CO

ProsGreat environment to work in all day. Vitamin Bucks are a huge perk, made shopping there reasonable for the employees. Benefit package was very reasonable and so was the insurance package. A job where you can really learn a lot about nutrition and a healthy lifestyle.

ConsVery hard to climb the management ladder. Raises are very small with no hope of ever really making a lot of money in the job.

Great company with great people

Operations (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIf you are customer service oriented, this is the company for you. Making connections with other individuals and working together towards health goals is the name of the game. The management, from Execs all the way down, are well trained and hard working. Lots of transparency. If you are ever in need of anything, all you have to do is ask.

ConsBonus payouts can be paltry from time to time, and no stock options are currently available to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer stock to employees.

Nepotism

Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIts a job- They're trying to do the best they can.

ConsLeadership consists mainly of family members, that routinely make poor decisions inconsistent with retaining their most skilled and experienced. Marketing and how you attract new customers is key, the tv ads are repellant. One of the cleanest grocers and no one would know?

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your policies, model your standards.

They try to provide a decent place to work, but fall very short due to disorganized growth.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood starting wages for the part-timers, they actually offer a number of full time positions, fair to decent benefits. They are growing fast enough to where I've seen minimally qualified people become a manager allowing them to springboard their career into a better organization such as Trader Joes. The original culture and values are solid, though they seem to have gotten somewhat lost or ignored in this growth frenzy.

ConsNo raise possibilities for a year.

Little incentive to move beyond department manager as the assistant position pays poorly.

They are growing too big for their humble foundation and it feels like the entire organization is going to crumble. I've seen it before: a little fundraising through an IPO and they think they can carbon copy their Denver focused mentality across the country--without relinquishing any control from the family to a true expert. Recent (positive) additions to the home office staff didn't even make it a year before leaving due to the chaos.

Specific to my location is a moody manager that has semi-weekly yelling sessions at all the supporting managers. I find this very disheartening to my future with the company (despite past management of larger P&L responsibilities than one of these stores) as the manager has said "I control your future" within one week of a previous conversation in which he/she called me weird.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously consider the 360 reviews--my manager has had overwhelmingly negative reviews yet still is managing the store to the chagrin of the otherwise very competent staff. Our store is successful despite the manager, not due to.

Best employment in my 25 year career in natural foods.

Category Manager (Former Employee) Lakewood, CO

ProsManagement was open to any and all suggestions and implemented several ideas presented. Salary was extremely fair and the work to play factor was recognized and monitored to ensure we were in balance. Co workers quickly became a team and developed into a group of people working toward the same goal which was a successful company offering high quality products at the best price available. Leadership is strong with company goals clearly stated in the mission statement. Staff were recognized for service. Benefits were excellent and HR was extremely helpful with all issues.
    Leaving due to personal reasons, otherwise I would have retired from this company in 10 years.

ConsDivision between Home Office Departments was sometimes an issue. Some departments were focused on covering up issues or creating a way to blame another department and not working for the better of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay close to your people. Listen. Watch the To Do List and make sure it is the important issues being addressed first. Don't stop caring.

Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good employee discount, good people to work with

ConsVery bad upper management. Very unorganized.
    Have to work overtime.
    Sometimes, we get blamed for things we didn't do.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees for once!

high expections

Department Manager (Former Employee)

Proswonderful customers ...good products if your gluten free. it would be nice if they carried some good high quality food products...not just gluten free.

Consfavoritism galore. if management don't like you, they will work on getting you out, regardless of your work preformance or good numbers in your dept....

Advice to Senior Managementrecogize the strengths and dedication of staff and do not lead with fear. get over the Power Trip.

Worked for Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers? Contribute to the Community!