Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

Kemper Isely

Pros
  • Good benefits, good employee discount, good people to work with (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome non management coworkers, great products (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the people in the home office are not familiar with the employee handbook (in 16 reviews)

• They treat assistant and store managers like a pressure cooker and leads to high turn over (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Produce

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Schedule and Excellent bennifits, competitive pay and Very employee and customer driven. Great Work environment for a retail store.

Cons

Position can be high stress in the beginning until you get a handle on setting the wet rack and ordering. After that it gets easier

Out of touch owners and upper management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers

Pros

Local to Colorado, family-owned and operated business, decent benefits, major holidays off with pay, birthday off with pay, continuing education, high quality standards, easy to promote quickly

Cons

This company is so focused on expanding to big, beautiful stores outside of Colorado that they are neglecting their older, existing stores. Many older stores are run down and needing repair. It is nearly impossible to have anything fixed in a timely manner. Most phone calls or emails to the home office in Lakewood are not returned. Too much focus on pushing predetermined supplements at our customers expense. We are forced to suggest certain products, instead of what our customers really need.

Try to remember what it is like to work at the store level. Most of us are in this industry because we genuinely want to help improve our health and the health of our customers-not push unecessary items to glean a few more bucks. Stop with the berating emails and conference calls from owner, Kemper Isely. He treats us all like idiots. Stop expecting the store manager and assistant manager to work 70 hours a week to make up for the lack of support from our regional manager and home office personnel.

Fortunate to work here

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time

Pros

Coworkers: Surrounded by passionate professionals, team oriented environment
    Growth opportunities: NGVC looks to promote from within and if you're looking to learn/grow more then the opportunities are available to you
    Great benefits: store discounts, Vitamin Bucks program, insurance, etc.
    Education: Health hotlines, product recommendations, health promotion

Cons

Not necessarily a con but a challenge: Constant movement/evolution

As you continue to grow, be sure to not lose touch with all of the dedicated/loyal employees that are committed to this company.

Worst Place To Work

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At least they pay you

Cons

Horrible management, at store and corporate level.
    Once you start getting promoted they will start looking at ways to fire you.

Fantastic Place to Work

Current Employee - Body Care Buyer
    Current Employee - Body Care Buyer

Pros

It's a great place to work if you are interested in moving up with the company. They like to promote from within. I've really enjoyed working here. I stay busy, work with great people, and get a chance to chat with great customers about NGVC's high standards. Work-Life Balance is great. They don't like to give overtime so I have plenty of time off, even a weekend day, that's rare in retail.

Cons

Honestly, I only wish that they had more stores, particularly more eastern stores. I'd love to work back east with them.

Good company but losing touch with employee wellbeing

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the grocery industry
    Decent benefits
    Great knowledgeable coworkers
    Good nutrition training for all employees
    Lots of opportunities for promotion to new stores

Cons

Raise structure used to be good but they got rid of 90 day reviews to save money
    Rarely give out incentive compensation anymore
    Home office management is focusing more on profit and doesn't make employees a priority like they used to

The home office management needs to keep employees as a priority.

Good Company

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits and a great Culture.

Cons

Changing schedule and strict rules.

Great Discounts Nightmare Management

Former Employee - Health and Beauty Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Health and Beauty Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While the cons outweigh the pros of being employed by this company, the discount on grocery items and supplements is quite nice and shows the company cares about their employees having access to healthy foods and supplements in order to represent the wellness industry appropriately. Continuing education and having the ability to try new products was great- if you are sincerely interested in nutrition and wellness these things will mean a lot to you

Cons

While the education and training received is commendable by the company- having to go to product education meetings early mornings on your regularly scheduled day off kind of defeats the idea of a company "devoted" to wellness. The real reason I left this company despite being fairly happy with my position and pay was I was bullied and harassed endlessly by the general store manager to the point that I dreaded going into my job daily. I have never had this experience in any other position I have ever held and did not know how to cope with the type of inappropriate interaction that myself as well as other employees were subjected to on a daily basis. This was reported to Human Resources on numerous occasions without any follow up. I finally quit my position there and moved on. I recently spoke to an acquaintance that had the same experience with this company.

My advice is to company owners and those who hire overall store management- don't hire mentally unstable people to manage your stores

Great Managers

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers full-time

Pros

pay is decent for college graduate, Store manager really does work hard for the store, interaction with outside sales reps and networking easily available.

Cons

Natural Grocers offers low prices, which means lower profits, and no extra hours for help. Hours for the store is really dictated by sales. if you have a few slow days it really hurts the store in hours given to operate the store. so expect a lot of struggling.

Nothing for store management, but maybe upper management. the stores that are on the edge of being able to afford more personal but cant, just give them the hours, because the store personal is over worked in that limbo area.

Burden falls on the entry level employees

I have been working at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of free food and vitamins, actual work is simple and easy, core foundations are meant to be pro-employee.

Cons

Lots of growing pains and a big move towards unethical practices now that they're a public corporation. Lots of favoritism at the worker level and underhanded tactics. Scheduling is very unreliable in terms of hours and consistency. Company has non-sustainable growth plans and punishes their workers to make up for bad decisions at the upper management level. Nepotism.

Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers Photos