Vitamin Research Products

3.5

Kevin Donoghue

Great, Friendly People!

I worked at Vitamin Research Products

Pros

The people are amazing and the work is interesting.

Cons

Workload can be very demanding

Great place to work!

I have been working at Vitamin Research Products full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company; true direct mail company with integrity and respectable values. Selling products that improve people's lives is the icing on the cake. Super-smart leadership; I worked with the CEO at another company and would follow him anywhere. He's an outstanding marketer--both in the creative sense and business sense. He's fair, honest and encourages open communication and growth of employees. The CMO is a pleasure to work for--she's smart, frank and on your side. The teams are just the right size so that your contributions make a real impact, while you feel supported and encouraged to share ideas.

Cons

Company has offices in various locations and time zones, which can be a little challenging; however, it does provide the opportunity for travel.

Senior management values employees and is focused on getting better.

I have been working at Vitamin Research Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When the new CEO started with the company, he made some good changes. It seems like the values have gone back to what they were originally. People, quality and safety at the top of the list. There are quite a few new senior managers that also have the same values.

Cons

As to be expected, the company went through some growing pains with an acquisition & merger. There have been a lot of changes in management and policies. It feels like we are through the bad stuff and headed in the right direction again.

Keep working on better communication. It has improved so much since the new CEO came to the company.

Don't be FOOLED. This place is NOT what you THINK

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Vitamin Research Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary a little above average, corporate lunches, tries to mimic a "family" atmosphere, albeit poorly.

Cons

Don't be misled by the glowing reviews you see here. These were posted by certain Director-types (more than likely the same person, in the Plano office), in a desperate bid to turn around public perception. The reality is that, ever since the merger with VRP, this work environment gone downhill.

The company was already in disarray before the merger. But when the new management decided to stake their claim, turnover increased to an all-time high. The new Director was inexperienced, not very approachable, and most meetings were conducted behind closed doors. Delegation of tasks was disorganized, IT support could not resolve most issues, and people had to resort to calling people who had left the company for assistance. Then in the summer of 2012, people mysteriously started disappearing

At first, we noticed a couple people put in their resignations--a developer here, a support specialist there. Nothing to get too excited about. But then, we noticed people who had tenure with the company, 5 or more years, suddenly packing up their belongings. Worse, younger employees, who had been recruited out of college, were one day being walked out the door. The excuse we always got from this Director was "they just weren't working out here." Clearly, an agenda was forming here, since these people had been recruited by the previous management team.

When the Chief Marketing Officer left (or was it fired), it became apparent this was no longer friendly territory. The Director and his team made it clear they were going to do things their way. You couldn't approach them with technical issues (which were largely because of lack of resources), because they would just assume you lacked the skills to do your job. There was even talk of outsourcing to India before I left...

Now, the entire team I worked with is gone, and all under the space of a year. It really does take one or two people to ruin what was once a friendly and productive work environment.

Advice? Assuming they'll even listen, stop treating people like commodities. At the end of the day, your job depends on those you lead.

Pretty nice place to work

I have been working at Vitamin Research Products

Pros

Better than average pay, nice people

Cons

Things in a state of flux

They do not value employees

Former Employee - Web Designer in Cullman, AL
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Cullman, AL

I worked at Vitamin Research Products

Pros

It was great when the company was Health Resources. After the merger, however, things went rapidly downhill. They did give us plenty of time to find another job.

Cons

After merging with VRP, we had to interview to keep our current jobs and had to move to Texas if we wanted to keep our job. The increase in salary to move was not large enough.

Don't tell your employees that they are "valued" and then ask them to interview to keep their current job. Also don't give your employees the runaround about what is really going on.

Used to be good place/lost its way in recent years

I worked at Vitamin Research Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary a little higher than median/corporate lunches/Keurig maker

Cons

As a former manager with this company, I've seen a lot of people come and go. Lately, more people are going--going out the door that is. This is due to the recent acquisitions, which unfortunately have thrown this company's organizational management into chaos. Echoing my colleague, they are interviewing employees to evaluate their skill set, but often times do not understand the workload or the technical ability of these people. If you've ever seen Office Space, it's a little bit like the scene with the Bobs, but without the humor.

Worse, remaining employees are left to pick up the slack, leading to intolerable workloads and unreasonable expectations. They are often asked to take up responsibilities for which they have little expertise. For instance, a developer will be asked to assume the role of a DBA they just laid off, even though that developer may have passing knowledge of SQL and data tables. But sadly, that developer can't confide in his new bosses about his lack of DBA knowledge, because to do so might very well cost him his job.

It is these kinds of decisions that are turning people away from VRP. If you take a vested interest in your employee's success and well-being, you will thrive. If all you care about is bottom line and efficiency, best of luck.

Hire more qualified individuals and stop putting loyal employees on trial, for God's sake. Actually understand what your departments and employees do before you decide to cut positions and gibe promotions.