Vitamin Shoppe

Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

Vitamin Shoppe CEO Anthony N. Truesdale
Anthony N. Truesdale

Pros
  • This is a great place to work if you enjoy health and wellness and don't mind the retail grind (in 11 reviews)

• Employee discount was great once it was changed, 40% VSB products and 20% on everything else (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers that do not do their job and get away with time stealing for months on end (in 25 reviews)

• If upper management knew wat i know some of them wouldn't be at their jobs (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Wanted it to be a positive experience

Former Employee - Key Holder in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Irving, TX

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My majority of my co-workers were great to work with. I liked the concept of VSU and a continual learning process

Cons

There are some awesome people that worked in my region (Dallas/FT Worth) but promotions are based on being friends and favoritism with the DM rather than actual work, competence and good customer service. I was so busy picking up the slack for others I was rarely able to get my VSU portions done that were necessary from my review much less get a raise.

Hopefully by now they have gotten rid of the DM that was in charge while I worked there. There are far more appropriate people to be put in that position. It is ruing the whole market. Poor leadership leads to the lose of talented employees.

Cool products, GREAT employee discount, awful everything else.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Austin, TX

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount was great once it was changed, 40% VSB products and 20% on everything else. I loved supplements and nutrition and it was a fun place to learn with many resources.

Cons

Resources weren't updated.

Compensation is awful. I was making less money and working more hours than the Hamburger shop cashier across the street. $11.25 per hour after a year of employment and told by my district manager there is "no chance" for a a raise.

You get no say how to run or manage a shop all of that is done by micro managing district managers who are overweight, and don't know the first thing about the industry. Your voice in the company will not be heard.

This job is good for high school level employees interested in the industry, and not looking to advance. Because unless you a "growing leader" you won't.

Grow your employees, and pay more to reduce your massive turnover. Let's employees tell you what's selling and why. Eliminate the waste of expired inventory, by making managers adjust min max levels.
    Clearance tables should stay, period.
    More employee benefits, pay for a gym membership or something. At least act like you care about your employees.
    I contacted my district manager 3 times to personally put in my two weeks after a year with you guys, I was never once contacted back or asked why or what can we do to have you stay nothing.
    I constantly felt expendable here.

Mediocre, Don't work for this company very long

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can pretty much forget this job when your not there. If you really want to progress with this company keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Cons

Work in the Missouri district at your own risk. Most of the people that work for this company in this district are not very intelligent. Management won't care about your progress, this company and the management tells you that they promote from within, that's a lie. If you want something done you usually have to go over the managers head and then you run the risk of management holding a grudge. I've dealt with nonsense from the first year I started working for this company. Don't work for this company in this district for very long.

I wish you were smarter.

You learn a ton, decent part time job while attending school as a full time student.

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a ton both from the industry and the customers. You get free samples periodically which is pretty cool.

Cons

You don't get paid very much as an associate to the point where it becomes embarrassing when you tell your friends about how much you make. Headquarters hands down planograms that only apply to yellow stores. Headquarters apparently has a lot of fun and benefits with their employees (volleyball games, a free gym) but as a worker in their retail stores you see none of that. Your job is to make them money. They want you to sell Vitamin Shoppe brand products and also want you to make the sales goal of the day but don't give give you a hierarchy of which one is more important. Health fairs are extremely unorganized and the partner program with local businesses is just a joke and shouldn't be handled at a store level.

Give your employees some attention. Pay them a bit more. make it clear as to which goal is more important - VSB or sales goal? Improve the employee discount and reward the employees instead of the store manager for making goal.

Asst store manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working with customers you learn every day. Been there for 6 yealove this place i love making goal and comp.

Cons

even though one could be a good store manager they wont promote you. I see and know of sm that do not do there job. If upper management knew wat i know some of them wouldn't be at their jobs

give people a chance especially ones that really WANT to be promoted

Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back compared to most retail jobs. The potential advance can be quicker in comparison to most retail stores.

Cons

The starting pay is low. No commission. Store can get busy and you may get short handed on some days.

Value your employees better in terms of pay.

Great if you are a college student

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe

Pros

40% of store band items and getting free stuff from vendors to sample. Flexible hours for college students at least with my manager.

Cons

Pay increase is very minimal. Part time workers only get discounts for products, no health insurance of any.

Up and Down

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time

Pros

easy job everything is pretty basic and straight forward. With all the products it seems confusing at first but it isnt too bad.

Cons

Associates don't get much hours and managers are lazy. Expect associates to do their jobs for them

Ok. not great

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work for the most part. Very heavy on customer service

Cons

Hard to move up. Not very invested in growth of employees

Two years of nothing but stress and frustration.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the customers were wonderful and truly did appreciate the help you gave them. Decent hours considering it is retail.

Cons

Way too much stress for the amount of pay. Store managers that do not do their job and get away with time stealing for months on end. The actually "running of the store" falls on the ASM and key holders. Instead of developing talent, floor managers are talked down to and belittled. Definitely not enough emphasis on finding quality talent - it takes forever to get someone hired and trained, all the while stressing out everyone else on staff. There is never any appreciation for hard work, which leads to apathy among employees. Store managers that gossip about their employees in front of them. Gossip borders on slander at times. Very unprofessional.

Try a little positive encouragement some time, you may get happier and more productive employees. Do not gossip about them in front of them, and do not intentionally try to mess up their future employment. This company has the potential to have happy and healthy employees, but in order to do that you cannot belittle them, overwork them, and underpay them.

Vitamin Shoppe Photos