Vitamin Shoppe

Updated January 25, 2015
2.8

Vitamin Shoppe CEO Anthony N. Truesdale
Anthony N. Truesdale

Pros
  • This is a great place to work if you enjoy health and wellness and don't mind the retail grind (in 11 reviews)

• Employee discount was great once it was changed, 40% VSB products and 20% on everything else (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers that do not do their job and get away with time stealing for months on end (in 25 reviews)

• If upper management knew wat i know some of them wouldn't be at their jobs (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Vitamin Shoppe is a great place to learn.

Current Employee - Key Holder in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool products, great atmosphere, no stress.

Cons

Low pay, high demand, a lot to learn.

increase the pay due to niche retail market.

Simply Avoid! Very Limited Opportunities for Growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For those that purchase Vitamin Shoppe-branded product, the company offers a 40% discount (and 20% for any non-Vitamin Shoppe product). Other perks include free notepads and a handful of pens, paper clips, etc.

Cons

Whereas the company touts a flexible working environment, this is a line only delivered during recruiting. Personal growth opportunities are EXTREMELY limited. The company's idea of offering training/education is laughable (in the form of a 5% discount at a borderline community college). The Executive Management team is very much a clique with quite a few individuals that hired each other from their prior organizations - this is not a composition of upper managers that is truly reflective of growth and development opportunities.

Avoid misrepresentation during the recruiting process by advertising practices, policies, and opportunities that are simply absent from the organization. Surprised new hires lead to disgruntled employees and turnover. The high energy, creative, and enthusiastic "health and wellness" culture may be prevalent in some departments, but the exact opposite prevails in many of the others.

Learned a lot, but pay increases few and far between

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Niles, IL

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience when learning how to sell things to customers. Enhanced customer service skills greatly. Learned a lot about health supplements.

Cons

A lot to learn when first starting. Difficult helping customers at first.
    Doing large shippments twice a week was a hassle. A lot of work for little pay.

Pay employees what they are worth.

Fun Part-time job especially if you are passionate about fitness

Former Employee - Health Enthusiast
    Former Employee - Health Enthusiast

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount of 25% is nice. Key holders and other managers are generally really good and easy to deal with. Ability to learn alot about products through Vitamin Shoppe University (VSU) as well as from fellow employees and customers. Plenty of free samples if you like to try different supplement products. Not a lot of pressure to sell and con customers. You get to actually address customer needs instead of pushing around company product.

Cons

One of the selling points when hired was how when you complete your VSU you get incremental raises. I never saw those raises despite completing all my VSU. Also, hours vary weekly with inconsistent shifts. No commission or bonus for store performance also hinders selling incentive at times.

Have weekly or monthly meetings with employees to discuss growth/learning potential

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe

Pros

Awesome co works, great discount

Cons

low pay for what you're expected to do. Store manager micromanages.

Pay employees more!

Store manager

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Associates, the pleasure of helping people improve their health, beautiful store, supplement learning program (Vitamin Shoppe University)

Cons

Pathetic pay rate increase (10%) for those who are promoted within the company. Low salary for those who weren't in management positions made it hard to retain associates.

Realize the importance of *everyone* who works at The Vitamin Shoppe. Pay non-management a living wage.

Sneaky company

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

Tons of products to meet everyone's needs
    Good for someone who is just starting out

Cons

Company has way to many managers (90% of every store is a manager in title".
    Company gives contradicting information such as applauding the fact that employees spend time with customers finding their unique needs, yet will get on you for spending too much time with one customer.
    Company pay is horrible for the about of knowledge that is required BEFORE you start the job, do not expect the training to help you whatsoever for at least the first 2 months. The technology in the stores are what was popular in the late 90's to early 2000's and the support in general from management is non existent.

Stop making everyone a manager, the stores are too small as it is and adding 4 other managers into a small area is asking for conflict. Hopefully someone will realize that when a store carries thousands of products and you need to be able to speak to every one, training BEFORE being thrown out on the sales floor could be of use.

almost clownish

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

cheap vitamins discount
    no one cares if you work or not

Cons

EVERYONE steals
    EVERY chance they get

get a REAL asset protection dept
    DMs are not existent
    EVERYTHING lands in managers lap
    what is payroll %to sales? 1.5%
    IF you can just stay long enough you will get promoted then move on from here....No REAL people would work here .

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Key Holder in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Austin, TX

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really interesting people tend to gravitate to the company. Very rarely do you end up with someone completely incompetent. It can be fun when you first start off, though it quickly burns you out.

Cons

I worked there for almost two years under six different managers in three different locations and two states. I saw it all on in terms of the nitty gritty of the company workings. I WISH someone in corporate would get out of their bubble and off their high horses to ask how it really works in their stores. The company sets unrealistic goals for most of their stores, fails to give proper support and acknowledgement for any success, beats down on any flaws, does not give stores enough manpower capability and too many tasks for the employees, and pays them laughable salaries. Then they have the gall to wonder why people want to leave.

Stop listening to your brown nosers and observe your stores from the outside without employee knowledge. You will be surprised to see what goes on and who really does the work. I have had six different managers, and until I got to Texas, I never had a complaint about any of them. I lost faith in the company when I saw them begin to promote people who were all talk and promises of great store feats and expectations. These were the people who would sit on their hands all day in front of computer screens, or would talk the ears off an associate or customer and never break away.
    Best advice: Retrain your managers! They are there to manage their store! Not sit in front of a computer screen or talk their heads off.

Wanted it to be a positive experience

Former Employee - Key Holder in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Irving, TX

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My majority of my co-workers were great to work with. I liked the concept of VSU and a continual learning process

Cons

There are some awesome people that worked in my region (Dallas/FT Worth) but promotions are based on being friends and favoritism with the DM rather than actual work, competence and good customer service. I was so busy picking up the slack for others I was rarely able to get my VSU portions done that were necessary from my review much less get a raise.

Hopefully by now they have gotten rid of the DM that was in charge while I worked there. There are far more appropriate people to be put in that position. It is ruing the whole market. Poor leadership leads to the lose of talented employees.

Vitamin Shoppe Photos