Vitamin T

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

CEO

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, processes, unlimited vacation/sick time, and $ every year for extended learning.

Cons

Too many documents, and meetings, but not a big deal.

Don't micromanage

No support for consultants / contractors

Former Employee - Contractor/Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor/Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Vitamin T as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free swag when you start your first assignment.

A little more human feeling than other agencies, but be warned, see cons below

Cons

Poor compensation as a consultant. Agents will try and lock you in as low a rate as possible. Even when better assignments come along, agents will try and lowball you into a lower bracket.

Hint: highball your pay range on the first opportunity it comes up, or forever be lowballed.

Poor communication.

Lack of professionalism.

No support from agents against clients. They will not play in your best interest if client wishes to end your contract for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Remember where your money is coming from. The hard working consultants and contractors.

Innovative and Creative Staffing Agency

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Full Benefits
    -Great Clients
    -Annual tuition and conference reimbursement
    -Solid and comprehendible initial week-long training
    -All Apple/Mac everything, and every employee gets an apple laptop
    -Friendly Culture and less turnover than most other staffing agencies
    -Smart and approachable upper management
    -Genuinely understands the importance of the creative/digital space and succeeds in keeping up with current industry trends
    -Company beach houses in FL and HI available to employees
    -Good work/life balance
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Always opportunities for leadership and training
    -Entrepreneurial almost start-up mentality means things change more often than they might at other agencies - if you see this as a con, than it may not be the right place for you!

Cons

-The base salary is higher than average, but the commission structure is lower and it can be difficult to make the substantial amount you might working for a competitor

Over-promised; Under-delivered

Former Employee - Talent Agent
    Former Employee - Talent Agent

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vitamin T affords its employees the opportunity to feel free to manage your own business, establish full responsibility of your clients, talent, and book of business. The environment warrants fun, creativity, spontaneity, and relaxed vacation plan and attire.

Cons

Working at Vitamin T unfortunately comes at a cost to those that are junior in their careers, eager for corporate advancement, hardworking, those that deeply care about their career outlook, development, and sense of business acumen. In order to fully understand and feel the ways of operation, one must be there for a sufficient amount of time. Only then, one can see/witness the lack of quality employed with internal hiring, destitute training for new employees, standards of appropriate business practices, individual and team value of its current employees, management competency and retention, lackluster pay and bonus structure, biased praise for markets that have more than several month's worth of investment and connection, and who can forget the meager amount of clients constantly being poached for business.

The unfortunate effects of working for this start-up is that as a Recruiter/Talent Agent, the amount of business required of you vs. your sales counterpart, teeters on a vague line of responsibility and threatens the appropriateness of quality vs. quantity, right vs. wrong, risk vs. opportunity, competency vs. incompetency, qualified vs. inexperienced, and the list goes on. For instance, witnessing the appointment of 3 insufficient market managers all lacking the skills to lead, direct, mentor, and train was an act within itself that proved FAIL, not one, not two, but three separate times, as well as the lost of several good, yet frustrated employees.

I will say, Vitamin T has mastered the facade and outward appearance of being young, hip, super-creative, trendy, and full of opportunity and new, innovative ways of doing business - in addition to knowing exactly what the clients want, need, and what they can provide. Alas, the perfect remedy to success!! Wrong!!! It's unfortunate that this mindset is blinding to the executives in LA and Boston as so many have succumbed to being drained by their sincere efforts to carry their markets with minimal and faux support from regional management and only to be let down by the company on the back end, in the end - and that's what counts and matters to employees is to have support. This is lacking tremendously, and something I truly felt week-to-week until I made the decision to move on.

Overhaul your ways of currently doing business. Invest in those markets that have been crying for help. Re-structure management. Take into account those messages and ideas that so many have left behind for you upon departing for other opportunities. Listen to those that are working tirelessly and relentlessly to build up their struggling markets. Figure out a SUFFICIENT and qualified way of hiring and retaining internal employees and only employ hiring recruiters that are trained, knowledgable, and has a strong core to follow through on efforts to make sure each hire is continuously meeting and exceeding their needs and expectations of the company throughout their months working at Vitamin T. The most effective management teams are those that are humans with hearts and minds, not machines made of gears and coils.

Fun Place to Work - Opportunity if You Ask

Current Employee - Recruiter/Agent
    Current Employee - Recruiter/Agent

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Freedom and flexibility: I feel like I get treated like an adult, and my adult brain is given the ability to make decisions about what I can or can't handle. It takes all of the drama out of asking for vacation time or booking appointments or having sick kids. You're trusted to know what your business can handle and given the freedom to execute that plan.
    -Very few micromanagers: I think every office, region, and manager in the company does things a little bit differently. I've worked in three different regions/departments and I've not encountered a micro manager. I'm given the space to do my job. And when I raise my hand for help, it's given with enthusiasm.
    -Benefits: Healthcare, vision, dental, 401k+matching. I feel super taken care of.
    -Easy access to c-level leadership: Several times I have reached out to Susie Hall, the President, and she has come directly to my aid. She also makes a point to interview everyone before they join the company and travels regularly to different markets.

Cons

-The ramp-up period is longer than you're led to believe, which can make you insecure early on.
    -The organization at large is pretty flat. However, those who want to carve out a role for themselves CAN, it's just not a clear track and it won't be handed to you without asking typically.
    -Things change daily. If you don't like the "rough and ready prototyping" model of rolling out new ideas, you could easily get frustrated.
    -The commission structure isn't great - but the salaries are fixed and pretty fair, so at least there is less risk than a high commission environment. depends on your preference

Don't be afraid to innovate bigger. Recruiting is changing, so it only makes sense that we stay ahead of the curve.

Working at Vitamin T

Current Employee - Director Business Development
    Current Employee - Director Business Development

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great industry if you're into creative and marketing. Great offices. Friendly co-workers. Solid top-level management. I also have a great regional director. Good work-life balance, so long as you prioritize that for yourself. Great culture of supporting one another.

Cons

Staffing can have a negative connotation in the market. Staffing also is pretty demanding. I don't see this as a con, but more someone should be aware of if they do not have staffing experience. Upward mobility is limited.

Lots of opportunity, if you work hard and stay innovative.

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The President is extremely motivating and smart. She helps staff find new roles within the company that help them grow and develop new skills. They are open to staff making recommendation to processes, marketing and innovative ways to stay relevant to clients and talent. It's a staffing company. Like any business they need to make money and the Agents and Sales folks are expected to meet numbers, ramp up quickly, but it's not unreasonable.

Cons

There can be confusion between the Aquent and Vitamin T brands for clients who don't understand why it's necessary. Turn over (as at any staffing company) is high when there are any changes in direction or management. It's hard to find good Agents who have a solid understanding of both creative and staffing.

Create a sliding scale for Agent bonus structure, similar to Sales.

Unclear what talent they want.

I worked at Vitamin T as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at nonprofit company through Aquent and was transitioned to Vitamin T. I was impressed with how the agent treated me during this transition. There was a glitch in the online time sheet, and they were on it. They also brought lunch to those affected, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Cons

I feel that my talent isn't really covered at Vitamin T anymore. It seems the focus is just on UX, which can be off putting. Be clear on who you represent, and focus on other talents covered. UX is hot now, but be open to other talents.

Be clear on who you represent, and treat all talent well. Don't blow off talent if he or she hasn't done work for you for awhile. Answer emails. Don't just write when a job is available, but let talent know you received an email. I felt once my job at the company ended, I wasn't on anyone's radar. Maybe this is typical of an agency, but it shouldn't be.

Poor on quality, big on turnover

I worked at Vitamin T

Pros

People like to work here once they figure out that they can do whatever they want and not be accountable during the work day. Go to lunch with your friends, hang out at the bar. It doesn't matter as long as you say you are meeting with a client or a candidate.

Cons

It's all about who the managers like, and if you're not on the cool list, then you'll be expected to carry all the weight. The processes for doing quality interviews and talent placements went out the window when this company started. The turnover is incredible, so you can get in easily, but you'll want to leave in a few months for sure.

Learn about Creative Staffing from other companies that do a good job with it.

Vitamin L-ies

Current Employee - Talent Agent
    Current Employee - Talent Agent

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are in transition, the exposure you get to the creative and marketing industry can be great. You are given an opportunity to be very successful its just not at Vitamin T. Be smart about networking and promoting yourself to get to a better place. Your hard work translates into bigger budgets for marketing and resources, not commission checks so use wisely.

Cons

-Worst compensation plan in the industry, your luck if you make 5K in commission.
    -"Talent Bridge" to no where, wake up its a perm market clients don't want to buy it, candidates don't want to be represented with it.
    -They expect you to run a full desk, while the sales people who do nothing collect half and you get a quarter profit.

Your in the business of hiring qualified applicants, start with "management".