Vitamin World

Updated October 13, 2014
2.4

Vitamin World CEO Jeffrey Nagel
Jeffrey Nagel

Pros
  • Decent employee discount and semi flexible schedule (in 9 reviews)

• Relax, learn a lot about products and benefits, get to talk and meet lots of people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will let bad store managers run rampant if they produce good numbers (in 17 reviews)

• The average sale is a complete joke (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good intention company, terrible compensation

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Vitamin World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to assist individuals in changing their lives for the better. Learning about natural health and wellness practices.

Cons

The base pay is not what you would expect a store manager should make. Commission rates are going to drop for the second time in 2 1/2 years.

Please see the opportunity that exists in employee compensation. This company will not hold on to passionate, high quality employees if they are not compensated well. This will result in profit losses and high turn over rates.

It was a decent job but the Managements decisions are not very smart.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Vitamin World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, good opportunities.

Cons

Bad pay, bad upper level management, bad marketing.

Hire new marketers. Fix your pay system and improve how in store employees work.

You will learn a lot about supplements and working alone for a company that doesn't care about you

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Vitamin World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Knowledge of supplements, you will help people if you care to learn and listen to them. You will get paid weekly.

Cons

You will work alone in a retail store which can be dangerous, challenging (when it gets busy or you need to eat or go to restroom) and very lonely & boring (when it is dead) unless you work at one of the really busy stores like Orlando, Vegas or Aventura. Management does not care about you as an individual or person and good luck getting help or support from the Home Office!

Get off your high horse, you are only a power hungry human. There is more to life than power and money, you are in a business to help people not to step on them and take all their money.

Used to be a great company to get rewarded for your hard work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Juan, PR

I worked at Vitamin World part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I started in 2005 the company had an above average commission program. The company had multiple ways to get rewarded for your work. Great opportunities to grow and develop professionally. They take time to train you and get you knowledgeable enough to give safe information about supplements regarding customer health.

Cons

Since 2008 the company started to cut on their sales commission program, blaming the economic recession. The worst part of it is that they develop a script that the sales associates needed to memorize and use for all customer interactions. Company completely forgot that sales is an art and that every customer is different and that they need a unique approach.

It's up to you if it's for you

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Vitamin World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean friendly small work environment, one learns much about supplements, fitness, and selling.

Cons

Being alone all day at times, hard to use urination station and/or eat

Only allow 3-4 hours of alone time for staff, allow for meal break and pee breaks,

Overall working at Vitamin World has been a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Vitamin World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good. Discounts on products are great. Ongoing training to learn about different products and how to use them.

Cons

Average order value can be very difficult to keep up due to the many coupons given out all the time.

Poor and desperate leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Vitamin World part-time (less than an year)

Pros

NBTY makes excellent products and the employee discount is one of the best out there! Its good for a seasonal job if you need to stock up on your supplements.

Cons

Corporate leadership is a joke... They lie to you about transfer and promotion opportunities, they base pay is nothing, they screw over their customer base with conflicting promotional offers and sales that cancel each other out.

Take a long and serious look at your business practices before you get hauled in front of the dept of labor or the better business bureau... Unless things change you are not long for this world.

Industry in decline. Upper management will be dishonest to any hire just to recruit a sales person.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Vitamin World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good associate discount 40-75% off depending in product.
    Good healthcare.

Cons

Associates are put under a lot of pressure to keep numbers up in a company where store front retail is dying off. You will not make the amount of sales they may make it seem like you will in this commission based job. There is just no foot traffic coming into these stores anymore because the vitamin industry is changing and it has become way more economical for people to buy from online vendors. There is a high turnover rate for employees because of the dishonest hiring system. I don't believe that the wages are fair based on the amount of knowledge required to do well in this job and the diminishing customer base. Don't trust promises made by upper management, they tend to "forget" these, and will exaggerate many things just to get a new recruit (mostly because someone is always leaving once they get wise to the truth about this place). Expect a lower salary than promised and lots of unnecessary micromanagement.

Stop lying to new hires.

0 room for growth and advancement. Poor hourly wage.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Vitamin World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great discount on company products. I find this really good and only pro.

Cons

I have been working there 4 years and only a .15 raise which is extremely sad. Area manager and district manager kept saying company freeze which I find is a excuse. Another comaplaint is the way area manager pressures employees to have a $40 + average sale which is out of reach making employees to push products on people. Not all people walking the door will spend $40 or anything at all. Also the company has very poor advertisement. Most people that walk in think there are in GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Before I left the company I asked for a raise being there X amount of years. Area manger and district manager declined it right always claim my sales wasn't good enough which I find was a poor excuse because our store is on a small strip mall. Soon after that I found this very unprofessional every wk after that they cut one day on my schedule and ended up on the schedule working only 1 day 3hrs. Company's sad way of forcing me out. Area manager and district manager won't admit to it. Very sad how they treat long time employees. Got written up 2-3x on ridiculous reasons from making new rules like not in my shrit. I've been working there 4years didn't in my shirt and 4years later you write me up for that I find that suspicious and low. I say apply for another company don't waste your time here.

Hire better area and district managers that fit and look the part.

Good job for attaining sales skills.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vitamin World part-time

Pros

Great job for getting basic knowledge on supplements. Amazing discount! Competitive pay (Hourly, plus commission). Flexible schedule. Very friendly staff!

Cons

"Up selling" the customer with items that are not always needed (or wanted). Training differs depending on location. On feet 100% of time.

Give customers what they want.

Vitamin World Photos