Vitamin World

Updated August 20, 2014

2.4

Vitamin World CEO Jeffrey Nagel
Jeffrey Nagel

Pros
  • Relax, learn a lot about products and benefits, get to talk and meet lots of people (in 5 reviews)

• Decent employee discount and semi flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will let bad store managers run rampant if they produce good numbers (in 16 reviews)

• The average sale is a complete joke (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall working at Vitamin World has been a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The benefits are very good. Discounts on products are great. Ongoing training to learn about different products and how to use them.

Cons

Average order value can be very difficult to keep up due to the many coupons given out all the time.

0 room for growth and advancement. Poor hourly wage.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

Pros

A great discount on company products. I find this really good and only pro.

Cons

I have been working there 4 years and only a .15 raise which is extremely sad. Area manager and district manager kept saying company freeze which I find is a excuse. Another comaplaint is the way area manager pressures employees to have a $40 + average sale which is out of reach making employees to push products on people. Not all people walking the door will spend $40 or anything at all. Also the company has very poor advertisement. Most people that walk in think there are in GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Before I left the company I asked for a raise being there X amount of years. Area manger and district manager declined it right always claim my sales wasn't good enough which I find was a poor excuse because our store is on a small strip mall. Soon after that I found this very unprofessional every wk after that they cut one day on my schedule and ended up on the schedule working only 1 day 3hrs. Company's sad way of forcing me out. Area manager and district manager won't admit to it. Very sad how they treat long time employees. Got written up 2-3x on ridiculous reasons from making new rules like not in my shrit. I've been working there 4years didn't in my shirt and 4years later you write me up for that I find that suspicious and low. I say apply for another company don't waste your time here.

Hire better area and district managers that fit and look the part.

Good job for attaining sales skills.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Great job for getting basic knowledge on supplements. Amazing discount! Competitive pay (Hourly, plus commission). Flexible schedule. Very friendly staff!

Cons

"Up selling" the customer with items that are not always needed (or wanted). Training differs depending on location. On feet 100% of time.

Give customers what they want.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Asst Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hagerstown, MD

Pros

I love the discount on the supplements and all the customers that you meet.

Cons

Unrealistic goals. Having a sell per a customer causes an employee to push for sells that aren't always helpful and can seem pushy to the customer.

More attentions needs to be paid on the surroundings store and locations. The company undercuts it inside sells employee once they obtain an email address.

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - District Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great Leadership! My Regional was the best!! Open door policy.

Cons

Personal growth is limited to size of company.

N/A...Hire me back :)

Unless you are young and pretty or young and buff stay away.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

The customers are great. The environment is great.

Cons

The Company really don't care about the little guys in their company. I was promised 20k more in my initial hiring. I ended up with only 11.50 and hr. I was promised great commissions but ended up with a store that only generated maybe $50.00 a week in comms. The other stores were generating a lot more revenue and I was promised a store in a more higher end mall. I kept getting passed over for the Buff and Young type of person with little to no experience in business. I know now that unless you are young and one of the "pretty people" or a close personal friend of the District Manager you are not getting anywhere quick with this company. to many promises never fulfilled

Yes stop promising things to get people hired and allow the Managers to manage. You business model is from the 70's and you think everyone is the same. Why don't you allow the staff to work the store not just babysit it. When you have a manager that can generate revenue allow them to. Stop micromanaging every little thing that goes on in the store.

Run, run far away!!!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

The discount was nice. And my managers were pleasant for the most part.

Cons

Where to start?! I have been with the company for 4 years, i have busted my butt for them and have not recieved a single raise! They decreased our comission rates. Customers think we are doctors and can diagnose their problems and simply fix everything. The corporate sends out 100 coupons which is nice to the customer..but bad for us when we have to sell atleast $38.00 to every customer to keep our ADS up.. They make goals impossible to reach. This company has made me feel so little and unappreciated.

Give raises! Stop thinking about our ADS and just LET US SELL. We have too much pressure to enjoy what we do.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

There was a lot of support through upper management and a great raining program. I loved the continued training seminars that they were putting together, it helped keep the staff at the store level on the same page with what upper management expected. I loved learning all the different health topics and enjoyed making a difference in people's health from day to day. Overall, it was a very pleasant environment.

Cons

When I left my biggest complaint was the inconsistency and constant change in policies from the constant change of upper management and executive officers. I could see where they were trying to go with everything, but the over bearing pressure on us at the store level from everything changing above us made it very difficult to be comfortable in our work environment. The change in some of our benefits was a little disheartening too.

If there are changes in policies company wide don't expect everyone to be able to adapt overnight to any changes. I know this is a business, but that doesn't mean you have to be heartless and push people beyond their breaking point. The tactics I saw being used towards the end of my days with this company really drove me to quit because I felt that the company was losing it's care and compassion for its employees.

They should re-brand as GNC Lite. This is a wholesaler who has no idea how to run a successful retail outlet.

Pros

-The job is easy
    -The customers are mostly great
    -The Employee discount is very good
    -If you are in a high volume store with little competition, life is gravy

Cons

-2 years of out of stock issues and it hasn't been fixed
    -The chances of anyone advancing beyond store manager are very low - they hire their friends or former colleagues for upper management
    -The corporate culture blames the front-line associate for all of the company's problems
    -The mystery shop is so complicated that mystery shoppers cannot get it right - there are differences of opinion on almost every shop
    -They want associates to collect customer emails. This allows Vitamin World online to offer "Online Exclusive" deals which are better than the in-store sale
    -They are at least 6 months behind with getting new products. Their competitors do not mess around and take 6 months to get these products that many people want
    -They keep deleting products that sell and replace them with low quality, high margin products
    -They believe in salesmanship over quality products
    -They cannot and will not take advice from front-line employees

-Promote from within for upper management positions. Selling vitamins is not the same as selling shoes, sunglasses, or jewelry
    -You would be more profitable without numerous middle managers who do nothing but crunch numbers and do not add a single dollar of sales to a store, many of whom cannot sell the products themselves

Terrible experience. Period.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Employee Discount. I enjoyed helping customers.

Cons

Where shall I begin.. I worked for the company for almost 3 years. I worked hard, and improved my team from 390 in the company when I took over to ranking in the top 50 Year to date when I left.. I never received any training to be a store manager, just thrusted into the position a month after I started as a First Assistant and then the Store Manager got canned. The average sale is a complete joke.. Who has $40 bucks to spend on average in a vitamin store? I am not going to push products on people if they cannot afford it, or because the Upper level wants us too... I understand that every sales company has goals.. but COME ON! Every area should have a Average sale based on location, sales history, etc.. You can expect a 3 million dollar store in an Outlet to make as much as a small town store in Average sale. Its nuts.. The DM is total sales driven, numbers crazy, unrelenting, egotistical, Selfish, Corporate Butt Kisser, who knows nothing, I repeat, NOTHING about the Health and wellness field. Comes from a corporate Jewelry store Regional Director postition, sinply because the company cares about one thing, and that is SALES. I am at another retail Vitamin store now as management, and it is such a positive enviroment. It just opened up my eyes and makes me appreciate where I am now even more. Pay is awful.. Who has ever heard of a store manager making 10.50 a hour? Really? What a crock of BS. I started at my new job making more and have a less demanding job. I won't be surprised at all when either Vitamin World closes it's doors, or sells to another company.

Listen to your employees. We are the one's working the floor day in and day out. We ARE the face of Vitamin World. Let us help customers because we want to, not just to raise the Average transaction to a crazy amount of money. Get some new blood in the Upper level of management and for goodness sakes, pay for some ADVERTISING. Put more into the stores, products besides yours.. Take a hint.. no one wants Vitamin World Sports Supplements. It doesnt matter how many times you change the labels. Hire DM's with at least SOME knowledge of the Health industry. Pay your people more. Cut off commissions, and Just pay people hourly what they should be making, at least 13-14 bucks an hour for Assistants and make Store Managers Salaried so that we can stay and coach, train our team to make the store better all the way around.

Worked for Vitamin World? Contribute to the Community!