Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

www.vitas.com

Vitas Innovative Hospice Care Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Helping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder(in 14 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management(in 6 reviews)

• Employees are disposable to upper management and treated poorly(in 5 reviews)

Good stepping stone to advance in medical sales.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsThey have a lot of resources to get the job done and out do your competitors.

ConsFavoritism in promotion. There is no work-life balance. As hard you work it's never enough.

Motto: Our patients and families come first. We take care if each other NOT!

Clinical Staff (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe patients we served, paid time off amounts and relationships you form with co workers

ConsEverything, roller coaster environment, lack of training, lack of management. Clinical manager a joke managing with no hospice experience. Drive by corporate management. Everyone. Tells you something different but no one follows through. After that they close the office with no warning. Just kicked the staff out with no notice and some staff received a week of pay. Really we take care of each other. Burn those company m ottos and change it to " we don't give a craps"

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they haven't listened so far.

Commitment to Patient Quality Service

IT Service (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsVitas has been around for 25 years with many changes.

ConsVitas is rapidly attempting to stay with the urgent patient care required in Hospice. The focus for innovation has shifted from new innovation patient care. To technical innovation targeting increased census at a pace that is impacting current service care.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnee jerk reaction to isolated incidents without total root cause, confirmation,. be it user, care giver, or technical. Makes for a dysfunctional business units require to work together as cross team functions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company needs improvement

Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsCoworkers are nice. Office has family atmosphere

ConsManagement overwhelmed, no raises, sluggish resources, needs better training

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the internal infrastructure of the company.

The best provider of hospice care in our area!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat opportunity to really use your nursing skills while being able to take the time to really make a difference in the lives of your patients and their families. Very rewarding!

ConsLeadership skills are less than desirable. Management seems overwhelmed and unable to provide adequate support and training their team requires. Monetary raises seem non-existing for the last 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your managers mandatory communication and leadership training.

Work Place where bullying is allowed and paychecks are held way under average

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsAllows me to help people with real needs

ConsThey constantly freeze salaries, change the way things are supposed to be done, write people up when they're due for annual evaluation to avoid giving raises, add more responsibilities, and allow bullying in the work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccommodate disabilities. Pay people for their services. Stop cheating your employees, and listen to them! Pay people a competitive wage, and give them insurance they can afford to use!

Talk Is Cheap

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood salary, benefits, PTO, excellent education training programs and resources. They have excellent values in theory, but not in practice.

ConsSenior corporate management is out of touch with the realities at the local program level. Their values need to be updated. "We take care of each other" does not apply to the regional and senior corporate management in relation to local management and staff. The sad part is that management above the local level is so afraid for their jobs that they allow themselves to be manipulated and lose their values and their voice. People get put in positions that they are not qualified for just to be puppets, this promotes a poor corporate culture. Be careful if you are going to work in a new start program because they will close you down in the blink of an eye, thats how they "take care of each other".

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your integrity when doing your job just as Hugh and Ester would have wanted. Let local staff be heard and do what they were hired to do. Finally, be careful because what goes around comes around.

This is not what Hospice should be.

Nursing (Current Employee) Naples, FL

ProsIf you screw up and you are the office pet you virtually can get away with murder. This used to be a very good company with Christian values, but ever since Corporate America took the helm, values out, money in.

ConsIt's only a matter of time before the system collapses. Management is corrupt and pays no heed to employees who work hard. Favouritism abounds and you can get compliments from families, but unless you are the favourite it will go unrecognised. Corporate pays no attention to our problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for a job where you can work in charge of mentally challenged people so that they cannot understand what is being done to them.

Deteriorating workplace environment and quality of care

ProsSalaries and benefits above average, at least for my discipline.

ConsOver a year ago, the CEO of VITAS' parent corporation told analysts that he intended to increase profits by cutting costs. The effects of that policy have now reached a critical point. Employee raises have been suspended indefinitely. Turnover has reached record levels. There are not enough home health aides to meet patient needs. Patient supplies covered by the Medicare benefit are being rationed or denied. Many medications have become unavailable because they are deemed too expensive. Patient census has increased without any corresponding increase in staffing. Overall, the skilled and dedicated staff of our program, including front-line management, are working harder and harder to provide a steadily diminishing level of care. On the bright side, though, the company's stock price has reached an all-time high...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending that for-profit health care is not a contradiction in terms.

Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder

ConsRegional and corporate management is all about the profit. Employees haven't received a raise in 2 years. Employees are micromanaged to such a degree that it takes you out of the field calling on customers. I'm watching my local management staff burn out as they are spread way too thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that motivating employees means you need to say thanks and recognize how difficult this job is. Listen to your employees and take their words into your corporate strategies.

Worked for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care? Contribute to the Community!