Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Sacramento Vitas is really good at keeping to their first value 'Patients and Families Come First' (in 18 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 7 reviews)

• Patients and families no longer come first (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Vitas Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Vitas Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Values, company culture, co-workers, flexibility, benefits

Cons

Cons are minor compared to the pros...

Keep doing what you're doing :)

My experience with this company has been very educational.

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

Working for Vitas has shown me my most sensitive and empathetic side of myself.

Cons

The most difficult challenge for me has been dealing with the families after losing their love ones.

Having steady work.

Great team, low pay

Former Employee - Case Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my position, the autonomy afforded the staff in caring for our clients and the positive interaction and support within the team and ancillary staff. The last team manager I worked under was wonderful. Organized and structured, with an open door policy. The PTO is very generous.
    I worked with this company for almost 5 years. I regret leaving.

Cons

The benefits with this company are abysmal and the pay is significantly lower than the average salary in this area.

Raise the average salary to the industry standard and improve the insurance benefits . Other than that VITAS is a good company to work for.

Best in the industry at hospice care, not the best to work for

Current Employee - Admission Liaison in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Admission Liaison in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING field staff, amazing supplies and teams. Puts patients and families first. Gives to the community

Cons

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE BENEFITS!!! In the years I've been here I watched the family maximum out of picky DOUble, and the rate for a single person become what used to be for a family. For a healthcare company, bad benefits in just not acceptable.

In order to retain quality staff, there has to be good benefits, not great but at least. Also there are a lot of great staff besides the clinical staff but no one ever acknowledges them. Best hospice care ever. Proud of the work we do.

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff! Good benefits. You work at your own pace.

Cons

Can be stressful at times due to high census of patients

Former RN Hospice Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from Home, FIexibility, Pay, Initially a good group of coworkers/supervisor

Cons

Travel upwards 200 miles weekly, High amount of paperwork since Vitas is still not on a computer system, Admission of inappropriate patients , Management is not knowledgeable

Hire qualified nursing supervisors. Make sure the patients are qualified to receive hospice benefits

Hospice Care

Former Employee - N/A in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - N/A in Asheville, NC

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working here is that you get to improve the lives of others. It's something you can feel satisfied from doing at the end of the day.

Cons

Taking care of the patients comes with a variety of challenges. For example sometimes a patient has difficulty understanding what it is you want from them so they can be unresponsive or argumentative.

Sacramento VITAS has the right idea if you're a patient... But if you're an employee it is a different story

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care (more than 8 years)

Pros

Senior Management is very focused on patient care, they trust clinical staff to do what they do best and what they love to do. Sacramento Vitas is really good at keeping to their first value 'Patients and Families Come First'. Senior management and HR care about the employees ensuring they get the training and tools they need to care for patients.

Cons

Employees of VITAS are not valued at the corporate level - management in Sacramento and at other VITAS locations are limited in what they can do - the pay is way below market standard for all positions and pay freezes (for 2 years now) make it difficult for employees to make ends meet. Benefits have been cut each year for the last 5 years. There is very limited opportunity for growth and zero work life balance. High expectations without a high return.

Remember how important employees are and show you value them. Remember your 2nd value 'We Take Care of Each Other' and how important it is in achieving Vitas' overall goals. You can't take good care of patients without good employees and you can't get/keep good employees unless you take good care of them.

Run!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Naples, FL

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

There is nothing positive to address.

Cons

24/7 Chaos. Never enough nursing staff and the management team is horrendous. No appreciation for the employee and nonstop backstabbing.

close the doors. You are totally incompetent.

Focus on money, not patient care

Current Employee - Telecare RN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Telecare RN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, opportunity to make a difference for terminal patients and their families.

Cons

Focus is on intake of new patients rather than hiring enough staff to care for existing patients. Leadership is lacking, micromanagement.

R would be nice if staff were appreciated and adequately compensated. Treat professionals like adults rather than children to be monitored and criticized constantly.

Vitas Innovative Hospice Care Photos