Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.4

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Helping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder (in 17 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 7 reviews)

• Patients and families no longer come first (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Might want to reconsider working for VITAS Jacksonville

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time

Pros

Good salary, positive work helping with patients and families

Cons

VITAS Jacksonville is going to force employees to carry VITAS cell-phones, so VITAS could track employees' every move and location. Assigned on-call and forced to work over-time while not given comp time for the work, pays docked for staying home the next day after staff out all night on-call. VITAS docked thousands and thousands of dollars by government when VITAS hires people they like, rather than those competent and experienced for the jobs. Field workers (RNs, social workers, chaplains, etc.) can expect to work and travel many hours sun-up to sun-down, with no corresponding pay. Management not hired for their proficiency with hospice or as managers, but for numbers..

More attention needs to be paid to monitoring VITAS Jacksonville management before VITAS JAcksonville makes the national news.

A wonderful life lesson shared with families patients and coworkers who become your friends and family

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Entering a type of Nursing in your early fifties after doing Hospital Med/Surg, OB, Geriatrics, Psych and also twenty years of experience in both Nursing Homes and Retirement Villages is daunting. Nurses are taught to help you heal bot help you die. My experience here taught me death is just another part of life just like adolescence, childbirth, menopause it is the inevitability we all face but its a mystery and therefore shrouded in fear.

Cons

A place which should be such a comforting atmosphere foe end of life care fraught with an uncaring management which focuses more on for profit and less on family and patient needs. Nurses work constantly understaffed where only three holidays are recognized a year and you must work two of the three and are begged to work the third but not with holiday pay. Staff is hurt physically for lack of help with bariatric patients as well as combative end of life patients that require more than a two person staff on an IPU. Morale is low and often non existent as an exhausted nursing "team" is overworked with no hopes of a raise and you receive a letter thanking you for forfeiting a pay increase to help the company make payroll. They keep evaluation ratings low so as not to have you merit a cost of living annual increase and the managers are not supportive and berate rather than encouraging. Despite this nurses continue to give excellent care as much as their tired bodies will allow.

Where is your humanity? While you take annual trips to Florida paying to put managers up at hotels for a week of conferences for individuals who receive large bonuses for keeping their IPU's budgets low by understaffing and cutting back on supplies forcing nurses to supply their own bathing and personal hygiene toiletries which they purchase on their own Bring in CNA's and adequate staff to accommodate the needs of the dying patient population who are your clients entrusted to your care.

This harder than it has to be!!!

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

Hospice appropriate patients that need care.

Cons

Disorganized management, sales driven health care company, lack of supplies, large area of travel, unrealistic expectations for tasks to be completed in a forty hour work week, lack of support, difficult payroll system, and no computerized charting.

Front load staffing to meet census growth.

Best company I've worked for yet!

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best hospice service provided in the country.

Cons

Pay scale is lower than average for the area.

Vitas a nice company to work for

Former Employee - CNA in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - CNA in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is very flexable job. If you are a working parent with other responsiblities it is nice to have a job that understands that.

Cons

If you are working PRN sometimes it is hard to get hours. All of the available hours will go to the other employees first.

Excellent learning experience

Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful managers and staff easy to work with

Cons

Restructuring of the company which led to many changes

Great opportunities for career advancement

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

I enjoy working for VITAS because I feel that I am really making a difference in patients' and families lives during the most difficult time of their lives. My co-workers are helpful and we interact on a very professional level. This is important to me because I've worked other places where there was a lot of gossiping and I don't miss that kind of environment at all.
    I appreciate my manager and supervisor who are upfront when it comes to what their expectations are of me, and there is a genuine sense of teamwork and helping each other out amonst my co-workers.

Cons

The health plan was recently changed and the one we had before was much better.

It would be a good idea to re-instate the incentive bonuses in the call centers!

Volunteer Manager

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are given the ability to create plans for locating your volunteers

Cons

The general manager is bias and opinionated not good for long term work

Be responsible Stop the lies

3 years there… Resources available to take care of patients and families!

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my job and the people I met there. Hated to leave because of relocation. oppty for personal growth in bereavement and management was outstanding.

Cons

Nothing unusual that you would find in any company… Benefits and Pros far outweigh any cons.. Work life balance was the best to date!

continue to working on orientation and training. Start early with teaching the values to new employees.

I really enjoyed my 8 years of employment with the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Team work, family environment and the benefits were great. Limited career growth if you are not a nurse, but taking care of each other and being supportive outweigh that eventually. A lot of opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

Need to be open to non-nursing degree professionals for management positions.

Don't limit team manager positions to nurses, open them up to business degree professionals in healthcare. Nurses focus on patient care and business comes secondary. Changing this will increase the revenue, because the focus on business will be business. The case managers will focus on patient care.

Vitas Innovative Hospice Care Photos