Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
2.4

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Helping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder (in 17 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 7 reviews)

• Patients and families no longer come first (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Might want to reconsider working for VITAS Jacksonville

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time

Pros

Good salary, positive work helping with patients and families

Cons

VITAS Jacksonville is going to force employees to carry VITAS cell-phones, so VITAS could track employees' every move and location. Assigned on-call and forced to work over-time while not given comp time for the work, pays docked for staying home the next day after staff out all night on-call. VITAS docked thousands and thousands of dollars by government when VITAS hires people they like, rather than those competent and experienced for the jobs. Field workers (RNs, social workers, chaplains, etc.) can expect to work and travel many hours sun-up to sun-down, with no corresponding pay. Management not hired for their proficiency with hospice or as managers, but for numbers..

More attention needs to be paid to monitoring VITAS Jacksonville management before VITAS JAcksonville makes the national news.

Best company I've worked for yet!

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best hospice service provided in the country.

Cons

Pay scale is lower than average for the area.

Excellent learning experience

Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator  in  Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful managers and staff easy to work with

Cons

Restructuring of the company which led to many changes

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities for career advancement

Current Employee - Quality Analyst  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

I enjoy working for VITAS because I feel that I am really making a difference in patients' and families lives during the most difficult time of their lives. My co-workers are helpful and we interact on a very professional level. This is important to me because I've worked other places where there was a lot of gossiping and I don't miss that kind of environment at all.
    I appreciate my manager and supervisor who are upfront when it comes to what their expectations are of me, and there is a genuine sense of teamwork and helping each other out amonst my co-workers.

Cons

The health plan was recently changed and the one we had before was much better.

It would be a good idea to re-instate the incentive bonuses in the call centers!

Vitas a nice company to work for

Former Employee - CNA  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - CNA in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is very flexable job. If you are a working parent with other responsiblities it is nice to have a job that understands that.

Cons

If you are working PRN sometimes it is hard to get hours. All of the available hours will go to the other employees first.

3 years there… Resources available to take care of patients and families!

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my job and the people I met there. Hated to leave because of relocation. oppty for personal growth in bereavement and management was outstanding.

Cons

Nothing unusual that you would find in any company… Benefits and Pros far outweigh any cons.. Work life balance was the best to date!

continue to working on orientation and training. Start early with teaching the values to new employees.

A wonderful life lesson shared with families patients and coworkers who become your friends and family

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Entering a type of Nursing in your early fifties after doing Hospital Med/Surg, OB, Geriatrics, Psych and also twenty years of experience in both Nursing Homes and Retirement Villages is daunting. Nurses are taught to help you heal bot help you die. My experience here taught me death is just another part of life just like adolescence, childbirth, menopause it is the inevitability we all face but its a mystery and therefore shrouded in fear.

Cons

A place which should be such a comforting atmosphere foe end of life care fraught with an uncaring management which focuses more on for profit and less on family and patient needs. Nurses work constantly understaffed where only three holidays are recognized a year and you must work two of the three and are begged to work the third but not with holiday pay. Staff is hurt physically for lack of help with bariatric patients as well as combative end of life patients that require more than a two person staff on an IPU. Morale is low and often non existent as an exhausted nursing "team" is overworked with no hopes of a raise and you receive a letter thanking you for forfeiting a pay increase to help the company make payroll. They keep evaluation ratings low so as not to have you merit a cost of living annual increase and the managers are not supportive and berate rather than encouraging. Despite this nurses continue to give excellent care as much as their tired bodies will allow.

Where is your humanity? While you take annual trips to Florida paying to put managers up at hotels for a week of conferences for individuals who receive large bonuses for keeping their IPU's budgets low by understaffing and cutting back on supplies forcing nurses to supply their own bathing and personal hygiene toiletries which they purchase on their own Bring in CNA's and adequate staff to accommodate the needs of the dying patient population who are your clients entrusted to your care.

I really enjoyed my 8 years of employment with the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Team work, family environment and the benefits were great. Limited career growth if you are not a nurse, but taking care of each other and being supportive outweigh that eventually. A lot of opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

Need to be open to non-nursing degree professionals for management positions.

Don't limit team manager positions to nurses, open them up to business degree professionals in healthcare. Nurses focus on patient care and business comes secondary. Changing this will increase the revenue, because the focus on business will be business. The case managers will focus on patient care.

It's all about the money for Vitas ��

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

Meaningful work to provide to patients and families
    Largest national provider of hospice services
    Great literature for patients and families

Cons

Incompetent management
    MD belittles and is very disrespectful to field team
    Ridiculous on-call expectations
    Limited resources
    Some office staff catty and unfriendly and unhelpful
    Ineffective model for market growth
    No IPU
    Unethical practices as it relates to HIPAA/advance directives/DCF reporting/ practicing out of scope
    Compassion fatigue in field teams
    Does not really live values

Get more education on the industry.

Don't allow MDs to treat field staff including RN, chaplain, and social workers (that actually care about the patients and families) like crap.

Better pay, PTO, benefits

Think about efficiency and the unreasonable expectations you place on field teams.

Stop hiring marketing reps, they aren't increasing the market share and invest in the field staff and product(hospice services).

Cost-cutting hurts employees and patients

Pros

The pay is good, at least for my specialty.

Cons

Spending cuts and "consolidation," i.e., assigning more work to fewer people, have had a catastrophic effect on staff morale and now threaten the quality of patient care. More and more frequently, patients' needs are met with, "we don't have the staff," or "that's not on the formulary," or simply, "we don't do that." Almost all of our best young nurses have left; one was promoted twice a year, then quit!

You might consider the long-term costs of poor staff retention and deteriorating care.

Vitas Innovative Hospice Care Photos

Hospice care
End of life care
Palliative care

+ Add Photo

Worked for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care? Contribute to the Community!