Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

2.3

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Helping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder (in 14 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 6 reviews)

• Employees are disposable to upper management and treated poorly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoyed my 8 years of employment with the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Team work, family environment and the benefits were great. Limited career growth if you are not a nurse, but taking care of each other and being supportive outweigh that eventually. A lot of opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

Need to be open to non-nursing degree professionals for management positions.

Don't limit team manager positions to nurses, open them up to business degree professionals in healthcare. Nurses focus on patient care and business comes secondary. Changing this will increase the revenue, because the focus on business will be business. The case managers will focus on patient care.

Good stepping stone to advance in medical sales.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a lot of resources to get the job done and out do your competitors.

Cons

Favoritism in promotion. There is no work-life balance. As hard you work it's never enough.

great people, good benefits.

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

the work, the people- the mission

Cons

not appreciated enough, financially or by higher ups

better people skills

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE.

Current Employee - PCRN
    Current Employee - PCRN

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated compassionate field staff, Veteran support, Icc staff are wonderful. At this point I really have nothing else to say.

Cons

Wages frozen over past three years, higher insurance costs, incompetent upper management, Field staff is treated like an after thought. When the chain of command is used employees end up with non clinical staff making patient care decisions. Awesome Medical Director who has essentially NO power to continue to do what's right.

Vitas need to live their own mission statement !
    The field staff makes a Hospice not management. Get your priorities in order. PATIENTS!!! It's sad that corporate can't see what's happening right in front of their eyes! A once exceptional place to work has become a liability issue for licensed professionals.

This company has gone downhill

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time

Pros

Gosh----can't think of a one!

Cons

There are so many---micromanaging non-clinical senior management who care more about the bottom line than the patients. The Vitas Values are not there anymore. Patients and families don't come first. No one takes care of employees but themselves. No encouragement to do your best and to do better tomorrow. It's difficult to be proud to make a difference when senior management doesn't care unless that difference is to increase the bottom line. Salary freeze for the last 2 years. Downgrade in health care benefits that don't even cover a decent hospice benefit!

Wake up and smell the coffee. You need to consider your employees and the patients they serve.

Motto: Our patients and families come first. We take care if each other NOT!

Former Employee - Clinical Staff  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

The patients we served, paid time off amounts and relationships you form with co workers

Cons

Everything, roller coaster environment, lack of training, lack of management. Clinical manager a joke managing with no hospice experience. Drive by corporate management. Everyone. Tells you something different but no one follows through. After that they close the office with no warning. Just kicked the staff out with no notice and some staff received a week of pay. Really we take care of each other. Burn those company m ottos and change it to " we don't give a craps"

None, they haven't listened so far.

Commitment to Patient Quality Service

Former Employee - IT Service  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - IT Service in Miami, FL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vitas has been around for 25 years with many changes.

Cons

Vitas is rapidly attempting to stay with the urgent patient care required in Hospice. The focus for innovation has shifted from new innovation patient care. To technical innovation targeting increased census at a pace that is impacting current service care.

Knee jerk reaction to isolated incidents without total root cause, confirmation,. be it user, care giver, or technical. Makes for a dysfunctional business units require to work together as cross team functions.

Company needs improvement

Former Employee - Patient Care Secretary  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are nice. Office has family atmosphere

Cons

Management overwhelmed, no raises, sluggish resources, needs better training

Focus on the internal infrastructure of the company.

Toxic and in need of a Superfund cleanup

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care for less than a year

Pros

If you love 12hr days then here you go

Cons

The corporate office in downtown Miami is permeated with a toxic and back stabbing culture. They're nuts in effect even by Miami standards. Can't trust anything most people tell you cause as soon as you turn around they're maneuvering behind your back. Mistakes are never admitted and even purposely hidden.

Email is used as a gotcha tool for every little thing for example why aren't there watch sized FedEx boxes available? Yes they will waste hours of your day trying to place blame for why a certain sized FedEx box that nobody except a watch company would use is not available to Joe Blow right there and then.

For a hospice company I expected it to foster an environment of camaraderie, empathy, and cooperation among its employees. Instead everyone seems to be at each others throats.

The best provider of hospice care in our area!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to really use your nursing skills while being able to take the time to really make a difference in the lives of your patients and their families. Very rewarding!

Cons

Leadership skills are less than desirable. Management seems overwhelmed and unable to provide adequate support and training their team requires. Monetary raises seem non-existing for the last 3 years.

Provide your managers mandatory communication and leadership training.

Worked for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care? Contribute to the Community!