Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

2.3

Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Helping Patients and families in their time of need gives me purpose and drive to work harder (in 14 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 6 reviews)

• Employees are disposable to upper management and treated poorly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Place where bullying is allowed and paychecks are held way under average

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allows me to help people with real needs

Cons

They constantly freeze salaries, change the way things are supposed to be done, write people up when they're due for annual evaluation to avoid giving raises, add more responsibilities, and allow bullying in the work place.

Accommodate disabilities. Pay people for their services. Stop cheating your employees, and listen to them! Pay people a competitive wage, and give them insurance they can afford to use!

Talk Is Cheap

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time

Pros

Good salary, benefits, PTO, excellent education training programs and resources. They have excellent values in theory, but not in practice.

Cons

Senior corporate management is out of touch with the realities at the local program level. Their values need to be updated. "We take care of each other" does not apply to the regional and senior corporate management in relation to local management and staff. The sad part is that management above the local level is so afraid for their jobs that they allow themselves to be manipulated and lose their values and their voice. People get put in positions that they are not qualified for just to be puppets, this promotes a poor corporate culture. Be careful if you are going to work in a new start program because they will close you down in the blink of an eye, thats how they "take care of each other".

Consider your integrity when doing your job just as Hugh and Ester would have wanted. Let local staff be heard and do what they were hired to do. Finally, be careful because what goes around comes around.

This is not what Hospice should be.

Current Employee - Nursing  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Nursing in Naples, FL

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you screw up and you are the office pet you virtually can get away with murder. This used to be a very good company with Christian values, but ever since Corporate America took the helm, values out, money in.

Cons

It's only a matter of time before the system collapses. Management is corrupt and pays no heed to employees who work hard. Favouritism abounds and you can get compliments from families, but unless you are the favourite it will go unrecognised. Corporate pays no attention to our problems.

Look for a job where you can work in charge of mentally challenged people so that they cannot understand what is being done to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Deteriorating workplace environment and quality of care

Pros

Salaries and benefits above average, at least for my discipline.

Cons

Over a year ago, the CEO of VITAS' parent corporation told analysts that he intended to increase profits by cutting costs. The effects of that policy have now reached a critical point. Employee raises have been suspended indefinitely. Turnover has reached record levels. There are not enough home health aides to meet patient needs. Patient supplies covered by the Medicare benefit are being rationed or denied. Many medications have become unavailable because they are deemed too expensive. Patient census has increased without any corresponding increase in staffing. Overall, the skilled and dedicated staff of our program, including front-line management, are working harder and harder to provide a steadily diminishing level of care. On the bright side, though, the company's stock price has reached an all-time high...

Stop pretending that for-profit health care is not a contradiction in terms.

Marketing

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

Cons

Regional and corporate management is all about the profit. Employees haven't received a raise in 2 years. Employees are micromanaged to such a degree that it takes you out of the field calling on customers. I'm watching my local management staff burn out as they are spread way too thin.

Remember that motivating employees means you need to say thanks and recognize how difficult this job is. Listen to your employees and take their words into your corporate strategies.

Nice place to work, good office enviroment. Helpful folks. Good hours.

Former Employee - Team Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care for more than 5 years

Pros

Good working enviroment. Paid time off is very good in the industry. Managers are flexible with their staff. The company offers good benefits and working hours. Opportunities for advancement are available to those with initiative.

Cons

Too many managers coming and going. Too many wage freezes. Lots of favoritism.

Listen better to the people at the front of your business. Compensation needs to be improved. Very low at many levels

I hope you look good in stripes

Former Employee - Corporate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate in Miami, FL

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are none anymore. When Hugh and Esther sold to the plumbers quality and ethics went away and we're replaced with money hungry sales rep and inappropriate admissions

Cons

They do not follow their values. If you know what is the right thing to do you will be treated terribly and retaliated against for trying to do the right thing

What does it matter they won't listen anyway

Sometimes rewarding, often times frustrating

Current Employee - Field  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Field in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time

Pros

Doing the right thing, helping patients and families, creating great working relationships with customers, knowing that we offer the highest standards of care- as a company- not as a location

Cons

Lazy clinical staff, unmotivated case managers, mangers that take a back seat- many promises, no results

Figure out what you can do to grow this business- we are getting cleaned up by our competition who is doing things for our customers that Vitas claims the are "above".

Taken for granted, without any appreciation.

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Pros

The only thing I can think of is the actual experience of being a hospice nurse. Although extremely challenging, it is the most rewarding work I have ever done.

Cons

Not feeling supported by management
    Working 3 weekends every month
    No advantage to having "seniority"
    No loyalty to employees
    Poor communication between mgmt and employee
    Minimal yearly wage increases
    Huge travel expectation w/o adequate mileage reimbursement
    Obvious discrimination by mgmt
    Unfair work practice

Vitas has changed dramatically in the 6+ yrs that I was there. I use to be proud to work for Vitas and always passed that on to our patients and families. But that changed in the last year. We were no longer about "patients and families first", only about the dollar and whom could be taken advantage of to get it. I have never worked anywhere with such poor employee moral. It really is difficult to do a great job for our patients and families feeling so unsupported. Talk to your staff!!! At least "act" as if they matter!!!

It was my nursing "niche". I felt very useful in the position I had with the company

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it.

Cons

Scheduling was not very good.

You need to do more for the staff that are out in the field with the patients.

Worked for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care? Contribute to the Community!