Vitera Healthcare Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vitera Healthcare Solutions CEO Matthew J. Hawkins

Matthew J. Hawkins

Pros
  • Really liked the covered parking garage and stadium box seat raffles(in 6 reviews)

• Good people to work with in Alachua location(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • And actually, I guess they, the investment folks at Vista Equity, could still be blamed(in 7 reviews)

• This is very poor customer service when you handle technical products(in 6 reviews)

Constant upheaval

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood pay and benefits. Very nice building and clean work environment. Really liked the covered parking garage and stadium box seat raffles.

ConsAll employees on a permanent pay freeze for several years; regular workforce reductions result in poor employee team work (lots of power struggles, backstabbing and in-fighting); improper management of a call center environment resulting in unequal work distribution; no employee recognition except the Sales team; very little chance for career growth or opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing your name and actually start servicing your clients to maintain a GREAT reputation. Appreciate and retain your employees in ALL departments and give them annual performance raises and actual opportunities based on their knowledge. Hire some REAL call center management and start using call center management techniques and workforce software.

Was ok before they took over

Service Tech1 (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsI worked with a bunch of very talented and fun people, While it was Sage it was a great place to work.

ConsAfter It was taken over by the equity company things changed in a disorderly fashion and over 500+ people got laid off. The dedication to the existing customer base or the Medical Manager software was scuttled so they could remake the company in their own image .

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note of those that could with the changes you seek help before letting talented dedicated people go

A difficult place to work for, but an easy place to get laid off from

Outside Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe lack of leadership was possibly the best pro; allowing me to do my job independently is the only reason why I was successful. If i had followed their rules, I wouldn't have made any money at all.

ConsFairly blatant in their racism, especially from the CEO position. A non-stop whirlwind of lies, changes and deceit when it comes to commission plans for sales. Complete lack of support from other divisions. Constant blind-siding layoffs where people get less than an hours notice then bang, you're gone. Even if you were very good and very highly rated in your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTotal 100% changeover in all senior management positions is the only hope this company has.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wait Until They Have Proven They Have Changed

(Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe people were amazing! Everybody I worked with in every department was professional, hard-working, friendly, and eager to take some time to help you whenever you needed it. Also, the pay was good.

ConsLet me say from the outset that I really do hope things improve for the benefit of both employees and customers! This SHOULD be a fantastic job in a booming industry.

The reason I decided to post a review was to second what has been said by others that have commented on the problems internally and concerns that as of this writing things have not really changed for the better. As a job seeker you need to know about previous problems and find out whether or not things have changed.

During my time at Vitera (then Sage Healthcare; later Vitera; now Greenway) I found it very difficult to perform my job well. The demand was literally impossible--nobody in my department could take care of all of our customers. It was a given that you simply had to pick and choose who you would help. As I was there longer, I learned that this was true of virtually every department. It didn't matter whether it was sales, support departments, implementation or customer training, nobody was effectively keeping up with the demand. Generally, they were not hiring new people to alleviate the problem. This was particularly true in sales. This was very odd given that EHR was one of the hottest growth segments in the software industry. Instead, many (most) of us would take our laptops home and be working again into the night and on weekends...never able to get everything done. (Those who are offering specific criticisms are offering honest critiques...there were no slackers around!)

Besides the impossible demand, we did not have the tools to do our jobs well. We frequently found ourselves spending an incredible amount of time trying to track down answers. This is very poor customer service when you handle technical products. Many of us had to improvise our own tools with Outlook, Excel and other basic applications.

Similarly, processes were in dire need of streamlining. The simplest tasks for customers would require an incredible amount of paperwork going back and forth with customers and was very difficult and time-consuming internally. Ironic for a company that sold software to automate and streamline complex medical practices.

Finally, I agree with others who mention a massive disconnect between upper management and the employees. I never had any indication that they were aware of the above conditions. This is a far cry from the Fortune 500 company I worked for in which the CEO personally sat in on the phones so he understood what they were dealing with. (That resulted in a completely upgraded company-wide software system!)

It is not surprising then that you can find independent industry observers seeing that Intergy, once a leading PM/EHR product, losing its luster and other companies pulling ahead. There simply hasn't been enough resources invested to sell and support it. As I said above, I do hope things change but do some homework.

Everything I have described occurred while the company was still Sage Healthcare and very shortly after I left Vista Equity bought out the company and rebranded it as Vitera (2011). As you can tell from the reviews of those that continued to work there (and note those who are still there as of this writing) very serious problems continue. I mention this as a rebuttal to the other reviewer that said the negative reviews were from former employees. Mass layoffs also occurred and were publicly reported in various news outlets (again, do some homework).

The company has changed ownership and executive leadership so many times that you should wait until you have evidence of stability. The problems in this review and others had continued and you should wait for solid evidence that things actually have changed with the Greenway merger. It has only been 3 years since the Sage/Vista-Vitera buyout, and only several months since the Vitera/Greenway deal. Mergers mean lots of change (oftentimes layoffs)...wait until things settle down and you can see that the change is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo executive management: I don't know the particulars of the Vitera/Greenway merger, but if Vista is still in the mix then they should take their profits and get out of the company as quickly as possible. That's the only reason you bought the company in the first place. Get the company back into the hands of executives that actually understand medical and care about providing top-notch products, services, and support to their customers. Focus on a great product and very, very satisfied customers. Also, man-up and do what the aforementioned Fortune CEO did: find out firsthand what's wrong at the employee level. Then fix it. All of it.

To middle management: Understand what your employees are dealing with and stand up for them to executive management. Agreed with the other reviewer that support calls are not call-center types of calls. They need time to work through complex issues. And sales is not a churn-and-burn environment. They don't need closing skills. They need tools and realistic workloads that allow them to dialogue with customers and be professional salespeople. As a manager, if you can't do these things then you're doing a disservice to your team, the customers, you're just covering your butt and you're in the wrong job anyway--go work somewhere else.

To Greenway: Heed my review and others like it. These are not disgruntled rants but real descriptions of serious problems that you have inherited. This is invaluable information. Do whatever it takes to fix it.

Continuous reduction of staff makes for a scary future

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsNot sure of any pros. Worked for the company a long, long time and always received high marks; but it was a matter of time before they had another reduction.

ConsOver the years, they reduced the number of PTO days, no professional track, hired young college grads for less money. Sales were always having trips, or "sales training" or should I say parties. What about the rest of the company actually holding together the customers?

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your mature employees. Stop pouring gifts and incentives to sales; everyone contributes and actually supports customers more than "sales".

Good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsCoworkers, daily job. Good environment.

ConsManagement. Too much upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate senior support staff who have been around for years.

Opportunities lost.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I ever noticed.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, lack of industry understanding, poor communication, lack of focus on Quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees with decades of industry experience.

Disappointed at how far this company has fallen through the years.

Customer Service (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe clients are great. They are professional and fun to work with. The facilities offer a great workout room, covered parking, modern style office. The technology is up-to-date and they are forever on the edge of making sure that it stays that way. The pay started off on the low end, but I have worked my way through several promotions and am making a wage that I can live on and then some.

Cons1. I fear for my job. With that fair and living wage that I am now getting(and that I honestly and dutifully worked hard for) I am in a position of fearing for my job because I am at the high end. Vitera just laid off several of the best employees and as the rest of us scanned the room we knew that one of the reasons many of them were let go was because of their salary. I understand that the company has to survive, but letting go of the best should not be under consideration until all else has been tried. We that are left are dealing with a level of bloodletting that has not stopped. Customers are not getting the kind of service they used to because those that had the knowledge are not around to help those who do not have the knowledge. It is taking twice as long to complete our tasks. Customers are screaming louder than ever. Management has shot themselves in the foot and wonders why they are having difficulty moving forward.
    2. Management is NEVER around when you need to escalate a call or they are TOO BUSY in a MANDATORY meeting. HOWEVER they seem to appear out of no where when you have to run to the restroom and spend 2 minutes off the phone beyond your allotted break.
    3. Management (and this includes lower and upper) do not recognize the everyday stress that most of us go through. Our customers are dealing with some complex issues that are impacting their bottom line and we can not and should not be treated like a call center. Call center rules should be thrown out the door because they do not work in this type of environment. This is a HEALTHCARE BILLING SOFTWARE DESIGN company and not a cable company. If our clients are having an issue it is much more complex than one would expect. WE ARE NOT A CALL CENTER.
    4. Training Training Training. I can not stress this enough. Vitera has created a great sophisticated software and yet they do not give us the tools so that we can gain a better understanding of how the client uses it in their everyday job. I see new and inexperienced people thrown on the phone too soon and I know that mistakes are going to be made and I and my other experienced co workers will have to be taken to task to clean the mess up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know why I am bothering to put anything in this section of the review because any advice to Management will fall on deaf ears. Vitera has already merged under another company "Greenway" and it looks like the whole cycle of changes that we went through with the last 5 companies are starting all over again.
    1. Please learn from your predecessors. Quit repeating the same mistakes that they did because in the end the outcome will be the same.
    2. Do not let go of the more experienced people just because they make a little more money. They earned it honestly. You can certainly find other ways to cut your budget. Have you ever thought that you all are a little top heavy?
    3. Treating your customers better is always a way to improve your revenue, however it starts with treating your employees better too. An employee who believes that they are treated fairly and with respect will let this flow into how they view their work, clients, meetings etc...
    4. There is more, but I think if you could just handle these top three then you will be on your way to making this company shine like it once did.

Be prepared for new ownership and layoffs every few years

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees and office hours where the office is closed on the weekends. Annual bonuses have improved over the years. Great holiday party at the end of the year. Never had any issues with management.

ConsOwnership of the organization switches hands every few years. Low level support departments have a high turnover, which has a great impact on customer support. These entry level positions are quickly vacated once employees find better opportunities in the area. The customers know this and have been leaving for products that provide better support. Benefits from insurance to time off are lower than what most other organizations offer their employees. Anticipate large layoffs every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you can to keep your support department in tact.

Great job, good people, bad timing

Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent training provided
    Good support inside (inside rep for each outside rep)
    Solid product - the software solutions stack-up well versus competition

ConsInstability - with all of the change this company has experienced (from the company names to executives to a revolving-door in the field) it creates doubt with clients.
    Can be difficult to navigate internal processes/resources/documents. These need to be reviewed, purged and centrally-located. A lot of this goes back to the instability thing but it's a hot mess sometimes trying to find the answer to a question or find an SOP.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being more flexible when it comes to pricing for PS/training on quotes.
    Also, see comment above regarding internal processes/resources/documents.

Worked for Vitera Healthcare Solutions? Contribute to the Community!