Vivid Marketing

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.4

Chrysanthi Halkiotis

A great learning experience and great fast track to sales.

Former Employee - Field Sales in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Columbia, MD

I worked at Vivid Marketing (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked the training as you were in the field. You would break down your days and what you could improve on regularly. There is no better sales experience than B2B sales. I was able to meet with over 2400 face to face impulse meetings. You really learn what to do and what not to do as you go through the weeks. Also Chrysanthi is awesome!

Cons

-Hours were kind of long but that's any sales job.
    -I enjoyed being outside and walking besides when it was cold.
    -If you are not good at dealing with adversity, you shouldn't work here. No is a usual

Chrysanthi does what she can to the best of her ability and I think the cons really don't deal with her. She would be a great boss/president/owner anywhere. They need to let her do much structuring.

This job is a joke

I worked at Vivid Marketing

Pros

People were nice enough

Cons

I feel like this is a scam. Y'all are not the "marketing" I studied in college, it's door to door sales. I lasted a total of 3 weeks and got a check in the mail for $7. Thought it was a joke. Doesn't cover gas $$ even though you're in the car ALL day. Going over business strategies felt like I was in high school and took up too much time. Honestly if you've recently graduated and are looking for work,you're much better off taking an unpaid internship and working at a restaurant or something of that nature to make cash.

Pay people while they are training. $200 for the entire training period isn't even remotely minimum wage. Or pay them more than $7 in my case. Also advertise yourselves as sales and not a "marketing & advertising firm"

Long hours, low pay, possibly even no pay.

I worked at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very slim chance of moving up in the ranks to a decent wage.

Cons

Expected to work at least 9 hours a day, usually more.

Pay your employees a base salary.

Mar 19, 2014President

Hi there. I'm sorry this was your impression of our company. We absolutely believe in work hard, play hard. Our "work hours" are Monday - Friday 8:00 - 5:00; however it is not uncommon to find our ... More

Good for a recent grad who has no bills to worry about

I worked at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is full of outgoing twenty-somethings who made going to work semi fun. It is also real world experience that is good to get your foot in the door

Cons

Everyone was required to be at the office by 8 but strongly encouraged to set up meetings starting at 7:15. The first two hours of the day we going over "business strategies" and hearing the same theories over and over again. From 10 until 5, you were out in the field going door to door selling office supplies. Any expense that happened during the day was out of the representative pocket and they are encouraged to keep every receipt to write off at the end of the year. After going door to door for about 6 hours, you were required to come back to the office to settle up your day and report your sales and numbers. After a long day, there were team and crew nights where attendance was optional but highly looked down upon if you didn't go them.

To make a long story even shorter, I made little money working long hours, longer if you included the events at night. Some days I was gone 12 hours and made no money. This is fine if you live at home and just need the experience

Mar 19, 2014President

We do offer hands-on, real world training in the sales & marketing industry; and I'm glad to hear you thought that was the most beneficial takeaway of your time here with us. To reiterate your ... More

Lasted one day.

Former Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I worked at Vivid Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. They make you work and don't pay.

Cons

This company pays for 'performance'. Which means, won't pay you or pay you very little.

Stop your deceiving practices.

Mar 19, 2014President

I'm sorry this position wasn't the best fit for you.

We pay our employees for completing training; which would have required you to complete your first 5 days. We are correct with our payment
    ... More

Feels like I was Cheated.

Current Employee - Account Representative in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people to work with. Good place to keep busy till you find a real job.

Cons

Job is actually going door to door selling office supplies instead of the marketing job that it was advertised as. Opportunity driven is the motto but it is all about building teams under you. On interview it was shown to be a "fast track" to management if you worked "hard." It was shown to be a year to management. So far no one I met in the office has accomplished that task. You have to build teams under you in order to get the chance at promotion. Only select few are given chances to build teams even though it is supposed to be a fair environment based on performance and not favoritism. Favoritism is definitely a strong characteristic of the office. IF the manager likes you then you grow otherwise you are just doing a door to door job everyday selling for the office. The pay is 100% commission which is interesting but not predictable. Some paychecks may be large and others may be small. It averages to around $200-400 a week, and that is for consistent "stronger" reps. Gas to go from the field (the area where you go door to door) to the office is not covered. The rep is responsible for gas, food, and they have to use their own phone. Nothing is covered by the company. Reps must drive in to the office every morning then go to the field then come back to the office then go back home. Its like driving to work and back almost twice a day. Some reps have to travel 25-30 miles one way to the field and then again use their vehicles to get around to sell door to door. Thus in total they may drive up to 55-70 miles a day and thats not including the commute to the office and back home. Territories are "randomly" assigned by the manager. Again favoritism can be a factor because territory can be given that is far or near to the office greatly affecting cost for rep to work each day as well as how fast they can begin their day trying to make money. On days when a rep sells NOTHING they make NOTHING! There are also no benefits offered. There are also very long hours. Reps have to be in at 8:00AM to the office and then usually leave the office around 5:30-6:00PM. On days that you make money its not bad but on days that you make $0.00 and pay for gas and food and go in the negative it is a terrible feeling. All in all its a fun place to learn "real sales" but its nothing more than that. Its a good job place holder on your resume till you find a better job.

Be more honest with new hires and be more fair.

Fun environment, Good product

Current Employee - Sales Representative (Leader) in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What I believe sets Vivid Marketing apart from its competition is their company culture. All employees are young and fun. Everyone has a sense of humor which made my interview process a great one. Vivid Marketing also gives prospective employees the opportunity to shadow a sales rep for the day during their second interview, so they can see exactly what a typical day is like. There are no surprises. They tell you exactly what you are going to have to do, and they do not put on a front or make false promises. I would have accepted the position in a second, but a family member of mine had fallen ill, so I decided that they needed my help the most at this time. When I told the hiring managers about my situation, they were nothing but understanding. They said that I could contact them down the road about future employment, which I am definitely going to do.

Cons

From what I saw and heard throughout my three interviews at Vivid, I can't think of one thing that stands out negatively in my mind. The job would be perfect for me in every way, and I am looking forward to hopefully being able to work there in the future.

Thanks for giving me a chance!

Mar 19, 2014President

Thank you for all the compliments!!! I hope everything worked out for you career wise and we wish you all the best!

Great Entry Level Experience, Really Friendly Staff

Current Employee - Sales Representative (Leader) in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Vivid Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After reading some of these other reviews, I think people really have the wrong impression of what an entry level position is. Entry level means you're hired with no previous work experience, you're supposed to work long and hard, gaining experience in a field in which you either determine is for you -- or not for you. When I first started at Vivid Marketing, I accepted the position simply because the staff seemed really friendly, the environment was upbeat and professional, and at the end of the day I was going to be gaining valuable sales & marketing experience (which is what I needed for my first career choice - which was pharmaceutical sales). The owner, Chrysanthi Halkiotis, was a pleasure to work with. She really dedicates her time to the people who either ask for it, or earn it. She'll give you one-on-one time with her, and the advice she gave me really helped me grow personally and professionally. Now, it was apparent she didn't do this with every employee...but who can when you have roughly 40 employees in the company. I truly enjoyed my experience with Vivid. I learned time management skills, how to properly manage my weekly finances, how to coach and develop other entry level people (and many other things). If you're looking for a true entry level position and you're willing to work hard, I strongly recommend you begin your career search with Vivid Marketing.

Cons

The downsides are minor. Yes it's longer hours (M-F 8-6pm) and the pay is roughly 33,000-35,000 a year; but again it's the experience you're going for. And the office culture is honestly more relaxed and fun than any other place i've ever worked for so the downsides were totally worth it to me.

The morning schedule could be a little more organized...sometimes people were confused about what meeting to be in, but again that's minor too.

Mar 19, 2014President

Working on that morning schedule....but thank you for all the comments! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with ways we can improve our company.

Worked Hard Made Nothing

I worked at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place. Lots of games and makes for a quick work day. The people were fun. Definitely had fun on Thursdays.

Cons

Worked long hours made absolutely no money. Only certain people got resources in the office. The management was very selective in who they promoted to the office. The office was promoted as a friendly environment but lots of hidden anger between team members.

Be more fair.

Mar 19, 2014President

I'm terribly sorry you felt there was animosity among teammates. It's never fun having any type of drama in a professional setting. I can say however that we offer a Management Training Program ... More

Hard work does pay off

Former Employee - Account Representative for Quill Office Supplies in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Vivid Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about this position is if you're willing to work hard, the managers will recognize your efforts and reward you with company resources --ie. advancement opportunity, travel, additional income and bonuses etc. I loved my time at Vivid Marketing, Inc., the management staff really does focus on developing an individual from their very first day (which was totally opposite than my internships or my first job I took out of college that I thought would be my career).

Cons

The only reason I left is to go back to school and pursue my MBA. I really did like everyone working there, and the office atmosphere and energy. The only thing I would say is only apply if you're willing to work hard. It's an entry level position and they're willing to train you in all aspects of business but you have to put the work in to learn up front.

Don't have any, thanks for the opportunity to learn more about the business world! My experience was great.

Mar 19, 2014President

Always happy to recognize hard work....keep it up! :)