Vivint

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

Vivint CEO Todd Pedersen
Todd Pedersen

Pros
  • They provide a free lunch per every 8 hours that you work (in 28 reviews)

• The company is growing so quickly that often times more spots are opening than there are people to fill them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost the entirety of this company's profits come from door-to-door sales (in 7 reviews)

• Sketchy sales reps who say anything to get it installed (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Politics, Drama & Chaos

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Vivint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cafeteria was cool and the office facilities were nice. Enjoyed the onsite medical clinic.

Cons

Politics, drama, and chaos
    Unable to pick a path and complete it, constant change and no understanding of software development best practices

I enjoyed working for Vivint!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint

Pros

Beautiful campus, friendly people, free meal, lots of innovation, company parties, gym access, basketball court, benefits, not micromanaged

Cons

Customers can get upset due to iron clad contact. The company does have a BBB F and can have a bad customer perception.

Be honest with NIS reps about pay during ramp period.

Great leadership, find out if you work hard or hardly work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vivint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job has an amazing upside to working hard. The pay is more than competitive. I make more as a sales representative here than I did as an executive manager at my last company.
    The leaders of the company are competitive and want to bring something special to it's sales force.
    This company shows you what you're made of. Helps you keep positive self-talk, and offers unique challenges that are exciting to overcome.

Cons

It is hard at first, but after getting into a rhythm is very rewarding.
    There have been sketchy sales reps in the past who have made a dent in the integrity of how the business should be growing.

Keep fighting for allowing the service to be above and beyond anything else offered on the market, and with a competitive price point.
    Invest more into advertising the product in territories where Vivint isn't as recognized. It will bring back returns for sure.

A good learning experience to get yourself into the industry, not a career though.

Current Employee - Field Service Professional
    Current Employee - Field Service Professional

I have been working at Vivint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upgrade commission, company vehicle, good work culture.

Cons

Very Unorganized, Poor hourly wages, lots of work off the clock, little to no chance of promotion unless willing to relocate.

Increase hourly wages with the overall increase in day to day workload, and please stop making employees work of the clock!

Great Company

Former Employee - Summer Sales Office Manager/Inside Sales in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Summer Sales Office Manager/Inside Sales in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint

Pros

Ability to make a relatively large amount of money in a short period of time. This is great for college students who would rather not have to work during school semesters. The company provides an amazing atmosphere for employees and there are tons of perks. The vibe is very upbeat and fun while you get quality work experience. There is a lot of growth potential with this company.

Cons

Really, the cons are all relative to each person and that whatever it is that they'd rather not deal with in a work environment. If your an up beat person and enjoy socializing and being around other motivated and hard working people, then Vivint is for you. If you get annoyed of being around driven people that are hungry day in and out to do something new and special, then avoid Vivint like the plague. I can see some good hearted, diligent people getting put off with some of the politics that take place. It is inspiring to see so many young managers and leaders in the company, but i can see this also being difficult for some people to deal with as many of these leaders are still learning themselves.

Dont Stop.

Management is Tricky

I worked at Vivint

Pros

Great perks - clinic, cafe, flexible work schedules and a fun environment

Cons

Management flip-flops, very backhanded high school behavior among management. Limited mobility

Not Good

I have been working at Vivint full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, free lunch, free drinks.

Cons

Lousy benefits. Incredibly expensive insurance with terrible coverage. No 401k match. Very little direction or strategy as a company. Major disorganization. Absentee leadership. You're more likely to run into Todd Pedersen at the gym than at Vivint.

Invest in your employees. Attrition would go down if you improved benefits. Stop acting like we're disposable.

$4.00 /hour is what new techs can really end up making as a 365 tech.

Former Employee - 365 Installation Tech
    Former Employee - 365 Installation Tech

I worked at Vivint part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Hmmm..the people were nice
    2. The customers are nice
    3. The company provides the tech tools
    4. There is some training paid by stipend
    5. The summer program techs can make a living.

Cons

1. The 365 program was a flop
    2. The 365 sales people couldn't get customers
    3. Just about all of us new techs and sales staff were layed off without warning
    4. The security system was often defective, limited or junky
    5. The installation took too long to finish and they make you use your own car to travel to customers' homes (often an hour each way or more) and they don't cover you on their insurance.
    6. They don't reimburse you for your gas or wear and tear on your car either. More than a couple of times I was sent to installs by the manager (sometimes an hour each way) then when I got there the customer cancelled the call or we had no legal authorization to do the install. And guess what, they don't pay you a dime for any of it. One night it took me 6 hours to get back from the cancelled appointment because all of the N/B freeways were under construction at the same time. And guess what? They wouldn't pay me a dime.
    7. They tell you an install takes 2 hours but it often took 8-10 hours and you don't get paid by the hour. So if you calculate your time and expenses wasted on an install you often make less than minimum wage and one time as low as $4/hour.

The management eas clueless on this entire fiasco and purposely did nothing to counteract the implosion. I don't think I can give them any advice I didn't already give them.

A great opportunity for self improvement and a chance to make good money.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Vivint part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money in a short time if you work harder than you ever have before. The skills you learn here will serve you for the rest of your life and allow you to be successful in anything you do.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. Sometimes you might feel stuck if you are one the sales side and things are just not working out. But if you persist then you can be rewarded in growth of character and bank account.

Make sure teams know the plans in as far in advance as you can tell them. Even if they are just possible options.

Great Atmosphere

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soda, meals for every 8 hours you work. Great Company Events.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.