Vivint

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

Vivint CEO Todd Pedersen
Todd Pedersen

Pros
  • They provide a free lunch per every 8 hours that you work (in 28 reviews)

• The company is growing so quickly that often times more spots are opening than there are people to fill them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost the entirety of this company's profits come from door-to-door sales (in 7 reviews)

• Sketchy sales reps who say anything to get it installed (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great upwardly mobile Company

Former Employee - Regional Coordinator
    Former Employee - Regional Coordinator

I worked at Vivint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is passionate about their customers and therefore their employees. It's obvious from day one that they want to make a difference in the lives of those they serve.

Cons

A lot of changes in management, meant a lot of disruption in day to workflow. For example, in May we were on one path focused on a certain goal, by December that had changed.

Continue to connect with your employees and build leaders from the bottom up

The best job of my life

Former Employee - Field Service Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Vivint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company vehical, gas card, cell phone for business and personal use, commission for minor sells on top of base hourly pay, your performance is reviewed daily and you can track your daily performance just as managment sees it.

Cons

Advancement is basically moving to Utah, RETIRMENT PROGRAM

keep up the good work, keep making waves in the industry, and keep serving your employee's.
    Excellent Organization very down to earth people

Work Hard Play Hard

I have been working at Vivint

Pros

Unlimited income potential with the opportunity to reach goals you never thought you could. Great team environment. Awesome prizes and incentives.

Cons

Occasional equipment issues. Travel during the summer. Hours are a grind but you earn what you put in

Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed culture, lots of autonomy in management, company treats employees well, work-life balance is very manageable.

Cons

Lots of change, not a lot of set procedures, communication sometimes gets messy from the bottom down.

$4.00 /hour is what new techs can really end up making as a 365 tech.

Former Employee - 365 Installation Tech
    Former Employee - 365 Installation Tech

I worked at Vivint part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Hmmm..the people were nice
    2. The customers are nice
    3. The company provides the tech tools
    4. There is some training paid by stipend
    5. The summer program techs can make a living.

Cons

1. The 365 program was a flop
    2. The 365 sales people couldn't get customers
    3. Just about all of us new techs and sales staff were layed off without warning
    4. The security system was often defective, limited or junky
    5. The installation took too long to finish and they make you use your own car to travel to customers' homes (often an hour each way or more) and they don't cover you on their insurance.
    6. They don't reimburse you for your gas or wear and tear on your car either. More than a couple of times I was sent to installs by the manager (sometimes an hour each way) then when I got there the customer cancelled the call or we had no legal authorization to do the install. And guess what, they don't pay you a dime for any of it. One night it took me 6 hours to get back from the cancelled appointment because all of the N/B freeways were under construction at the same time. And guess what? They wouldn't pay me a dime.
    7. They tell you an install takes 2 hours but it often took 8-10 hours and you don't get paid by the hour. So if you calculate your time and expenses wasted on an install you often make less than minimum wage and one time as low as $4/hour.

The management eas clueless on this entire fiasco and purposely did nothing to counteract the implosion. I don't think I can give them any advice I didn't already give them.

Not Good

I have been working at Vivint full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, free lunch, free drinks.

Cons

Lousy benefits. Incredibly expensive insurance with terrible coverage. No 401k match. Very little direction or strategy as a company. Major disorganization. Absentee leadership. You're more likely to run into Todd Pedersen at the gym than at Vivint.

Invest in your employees. Attrition would go down if you improved benefits. Stop acting like we're disposable.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Vivint part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vivint tries to take good care of its employees (primarily its sales reps) with many corporate perks (company "swag," free lunch, company parties, blackstone discounts). Vivint also has a very laid-back atmosphere if wearing sweatpants to work is your thing. The best thing is that most departments have very flexible working hours.

Cons

The company is a boys' club, and the managers are only interested in numbers or covering their buddies' backs. There are very few pathways for employees to voice concerns and raise issues ahead of the explosion. The compensation is sub-standard for middle-level employees.

Get to know your employees, listen to what your employees are telling you - they can help you prevent a violation or a big misstep.

It was a tough experience, but I learned a lot

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Vivint part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned how to talk to market myself and my product

Cons

I felt like I was taking advantage of the people I talked to

The Best Sales Person Was The Recruiter...

Former Employee - NIS (National Inside Sales) in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - NIS (National Inside Sales) in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great on site benefits such as cafeteria, doctor and clinic on site, free meals for every 8 hours worked, gym, volleyball, basketball, horse shoes, etc. etc., great spiffs, great contests.

Cons

When I was recruited, I was brought over from a job where I made good money and was in a position of management. Most of my adult career has been in mid to upper management (for instance, right now I am VP of national sales for a hospitality industry employer). The recruiter knew this and told me I would quickly be making six figures as well as be promoted quickly too, due to my extensive experience and ability to excel. Neither was the case. Though I was one of the best sales people on my team, I rarely made over $2000.00 in a month. Some paychecks were as low as 600.00, the kind of money I haven't made in over 20 years. There are some people there who make very good money, but those people are a very small group and it is highly politicized as to who makes that money and the opportunities they are given.

Inside Sales rarely has time to use on site benefits like the team sports. Also, personal growth is nil, training is so so, promotions are not based on a "what is good for the company" basis, as they promote based on your ability to sell, not your ability to train or manage people. For a sales job, you should be a good salesperson and a very good people manager; most managers I knew there were inept in the people part of it.

Also, only the corporate HQ has great on site benefits. The other locations are very poor in their onsite benefits, though you are welcome to go to the HQ and use anything you like. Clearly this does not allow you to participate in team sport activities, though you can use the gym, clinic etc.

I would say this is a great job for college kids or beginning sales people. Not a great job for senior sales people or folks with families.

Change the management and promotion structure. During the period of time I was there I saw several managers fail and get demoted or let go, because they should never have been promoted to begin with. Good management starts at the top but the top level is out of touch with bottom levels. Also, an aggressive training program for the managers is something that would benefit you greatly. Finally, keep a tight reign on the recruiters. When I was recruited, I was sold a bill of goods and that hurt. I felt like I wasted my time there at Vivint, and that really is too bad for you and for me.

Good Short Term Job Experience!

I have been working at Vivint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have loved working here for the past three years. The job is flexible, the management is respectful, understanding, and laid back. I would refer a friend to work here for a short term Job while getting themselves through college, or while looking for another job.

Cons

However, I have not been rewarded for being with the company for the past 3 years, and do not feel valued for everything I have done. I would say as the company has expanded they have forgotten to reward the employees who deserve recognition. I know people that have worked here for 8 plus years in high positions, and have not received any raise, or recognition.

Oversee the management Chain. Some people are in Management that should not be, or should have someone overseeing their work. Recognize employees after 2,4, 6 year mark. These people should be rewarded for working here and being dedicated to your company! They should want to stay, and refer people to work here long term.