Vocollect Reviews

Allen J. Lauer

1. Great culture... if Honeywell does not ruin it

Former Employee - Product Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, inventive engineers; "ownership" culture and one of the most honest cultures I have seen; great work/life balance; interesting work that leads its field; innovations funded by a large parent

Cons

Somewhat resistant to change; competitors catching up; parent company starting to make the culture stagnant and bureaucratic; lack of marketing resources; sub-standard incentive pay

Advice to Management

Focus on a growth area and pour more resources into innovation, including rewards and recognition for innovative engineering and product management

Was A Great Company - No More

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location and office building. Most of the employees are very talented, nice people. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Company founders jumped ship. Company was brought out by Intermec and finally Honeywell. Company culture changed dramatically from being a large family feel to just being another (disconnected) cog in a very large, impersonal corporate behemoth.

Advice to Management

I think Vocollect is at the point of no return. The former company, and many of its intangible benefits, have been lost.

Vocollect - A++++; Honeywell - F

Pros

As a privately-owned company, Vocollect was the best company I ever worked at. The technology was awsome and management was educated, respectful and collaborative. They truly cared about the employees and understood and valued them. The employees, in return, were happy, productive, and did whatever it took to grow the company. Great benefits, referral bonuses, employee events, community engagement opportunities, onsite fitness center, flexible work environment, etc...

Cons

Since the Honeywell acquisition, attrition has increased and everyone is unhappy. Employees are staying to collect a paycheck, nothing more. Honeywell is the example of corporate red tape and bottleneck. There are processes for the processes. No human interaction. No teamwork. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

You are killing everything and driving the company to the ground. Evaluate the reason why Vocollect was so successful and the reason why Honeywell wanted to buy the company in the first place.

Vocollect was great, Honeywell is not

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Since Honeywell took over there aren't many: good people are still there, but rapidly leaving, the technology is cool (hopefully it stays that way), I've had many managers over the years and they're all very flexible when they are permitted to be so, the location isn't downtown, free parking, gym, events area with foosball and ping pong.

Cons

Since Honeywell took over there has been a decline in flexibility when developing products. So many processes have bogged everyone down and it's hard to get going and keep moving on something. The Vocollect name/brand was murdered by Honeywell. So, work here and you're working for Honeywell. The Vocollect family is gone.

Advice to Management

My advice to Honeywell is to look at how things are WORKING currently before imposing your processes, rules, and ideas on to a great bunch of people who've created awesome products for over 20 years before you got your hands on them.

The good old days are gone for good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Vocollect full-time

Pros

You are part of a multi-billion dollar global company, so chances for advancement are there if you look for them and are mobile. Honeywell (who purchased Vocollect in 2013) is a stable, profitable company, and is not likely to be purchased by anyone.

Cons

Work-life balance? There is none. Volume of work requires 60+ hours per week to complete, so forget seeing your family. We used to get bonuses...now they're gone. We used to get industry-leading healthcare benefits. Now, they are the worst healthcare plan we've ever had. We used to have intelligent, thoughtful, caring leadership. Now, a bunch of drones are running the ship. The only reason I am paid well is because Vocollect paid me well; if Honeywell chose my salary, I would likely be paid HALF of my wage. Oh, and the ever-looming prospect of having our entire manufacturing operation moved to China is very real, so any job here is not guaranteed long-term. DO NOT WORK HERE! There are far better opportunities with far better employers!

Advice to Management

First, look at the morale of your employees! It's in the toilet! Listen to your employees! Figure out how to balance the work so that people at least have a chance of working an 8 hour day. And for God's sake, GET SOME DECENT HEALTHCARE FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Engineer

Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The people of Vocollect are some of the best I have ever worked with

Cons

Honeywell seem to desire to get rid of all these people as a cost savings for them. They are not taking into consideration that these people are what made Vocollect and the software and devices they produce great.

Advice to Management

The higher power at Honeywell already decided that they value money over all us. There is not much Vocollect management can do to stop the bleeding now.

change is happening

Pros

Best people in the industry and without a doubt a game changing solution.

Cons

Everything changing after acquisition...culture, benefits, pay, products...Vocollect is no longer a desirable place to contribute hard work and feel like you are making a difference and getting rewarded for innovation.

Advice to Management

Change is fine and to be expected when being acquired by someone as large as Honeywell, however managing the change is key if knowledge and people retention is desired. It is clear that the new world order is based on the innovation that will come from new people in other geographies.

9. A good company to work for

I worked at Vocollect full-time

Pros

In general the people are good and the management is supportive.

Cons

Does not manage all employees well.

Great Company In The Past, Has Lost It's Way

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, free parking, convenient location, comfortable work facilities

Cons

Terrible transition from Intermec buyout going into Honeywell. Lots of changes in policies with little communication. Low morale leading to many employees jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Communicate better! Not communicating only compounds the problem of lack of direction, tackling business practices, and employee morale.

11. Great company & culture!

Pros

Open communication between departments and the company strategy was clear.

Cons

Acquisition by Intermec changed the dynamics of the organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed