Vocus

Vocus Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Vocus Chairman, President, and CEO Rick Rudman

Rick Rudman

Pros:
  • "Great work environment, state of the art building"
    in 24 reviews
  • "There is great work/life balance as well that really helps me keep focused on what I need to get done throughout the day"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Growing quickly - R & D focused on small business tools at the moment"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging, Rewarding, Satisfying!!

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

ProsVocus has been extremely challenging to me professionally, but without that I wouldn't be where I am atoday. This isn't a place for someone who wants to skate by and not learn, contribute, and make a difference. We want hard working and talented professionals that can come in, make an impact and separate us from competitors. I have been with Vocus for 2 years and we have been through a lot of growth & change, but that's what comes with being employed with a progressive company and in a modern field. We are continuing to make a strong push into the digital marketing space where we will become cloud marketing leaders.

One of the best parts of working for Vocus in the lateral transparency. Every department works extremely well together and communicates on all levels. You just don't find that at all multi-million dollar companies.

And the amenities are a touch of Silicon Valley right here in Beltsville, MD!

ConsTo contradict myself, the growth and change. It's difficult to find a steady routine but that can be exciting. Our employees are adaptable and I truly believe we are on the right path in 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to be communicating on the same level we do laterally. Town Hall meetings can be a bit fluffy. I would encourage our executives to hold quarterly department meetings and get togethers.

Beneficial

Beltsville Heights, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

ProsVocus has an amazing on - site gym, they hire top talent, and it is a great company to have on your resume.

ConsThere is no perfect company and the "grass is always going to be greener" on the other side. At this time, I do not have any complaints about Vocus.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some companies that offer internal anonymous reviews from employees to their managers and not to dismiss and/or undermine management, but to improve the managers management style and to make the managers more aware of their employees within the company. It would be great if Vocus adopted an anonymous internal review of 1st and 2nd line managers.

Great work/life balance

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

ProsVocus has a great company culture that allows employees to have a really good balance between work and life. There are so many opportunities to test your skills and learn new things. Managers are always willing to help out and provide opportunities to for their employees to learn new skill sets.

What's great is that regardless of the fact that the company is so large, performers always get rewarded.

ConsNot near any public transportation so you might have to sit in traffic for work.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vocus full-time

ProsUncapped commision opportunity
Flexible work schedule
Amazing work environment

ConsVery hard to grow and move up

Work hard, play hard!

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe workplace is phenomenal. The benefits are unmatched. The executives are down-to-earth. The product is top notch. Employees are appreciated and rewarded for hard work. Fitness classes offered every day for free. Free coffee, candy, fruit, soup, and other goodies. Employees encouraged to work-out or take time for themselves as long as they get the job done. CEO holds town hall to open lines of communicaton. Vocus radio is fun and informative. Food tracks scheduled most days for lunch.

ConsThe company is dynamic, so things change very quickly.

Great start but didn't last.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

ProsGives Google's Headquarters a run for its money. Lots of little perks that does add up well; free gym, free coffee, free candy and relaxed dress code. Save money on buying Starbucks, don't need to buy expensive office attire or have a monthly gym payment.

ConsLots of empty promises; to us AND customers. Growth opportunity is available, but you'll need to wipe the brown from your nose while making your way to the top. They set expectations, tell you where you can go and tantalize you with the kind of money you can make. They tell you want you need to do to get there. Only problem is when you do exactly as they ask you are still where you started.
Business is taking turn for the worst and cutting cost where they can from going "green" to save money by making everyone use or buy reusable cups, stop providing basic First Aid or pain meds and the TP quality has decreased.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises you don't plan to keep. Oh and when you are describing the job to a potential hire, make sure they know that this is a Sales job and not a Customer Service Job. Very misleading!

Good Place to Start a Career

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

ProsI have worked at Vocus for almost 3 years across two departments. It is a great place to start a career, if you can keep pace with change. Great product, good benefits, fun perks (free candy/fruit, themed conference rooms, food trucks).

ConsNear constant change accompanied by poor communication from management at all levels,across departments.

Looks like Vocus is trying to get current employees to pump Glassdoor with stars!!

Director of Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

ProsAmenities and people are great.

ConsUpper management has made poor decisions, and its people have paid a high price; stalling careers and wasting great mid-Atlantic talent in the process. When will Wallstreet remove board members?

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness 101 - Reengineering. Identify who wants and who will invest in VMS ... square peg / round hole. Why was VPR so successful? The answers are in that building.

Great work environment and terrific opportunity to make a lot of money!

Mid Market Sales (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

I worked at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros- You can wear pretty much anything you want to work.
- It's a very relaxed work atmosphere.
- You can make really good money if you're good at it.
- You don't have to wait a long time to get paid your commissions.
- Great employee culture and everybody is easy to get along with.
- Great employee incentives for Quarterly, Annual Bonus's and Trips.

Cons- The Vocus marketing product could be more polished and able to better compete with some of the big players in the market.
- It's a tough sell in a sea of stiff competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your money and efforts on making the product better. Over time it will get there.

Would totally come back and work here again!

Media Researcher (Former Employee)
College Park, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing work perks: ping pong table, Playstation/Xbox in the lounge, lunches bought by the company, massage days etc.

ConsI didn't leave the company for bad reasons. Left because I wanted to pursue a different career. Else, I wouldn't have left at all!

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!

Vocus Videos

Vocus – Why Work for Us?

About Us Vocus (NASDAQ: VOCS) provides leading cloud-based marketing and public relations software that enables companies to acquire and retain customers. The company offers products and services to help clients attract… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vocus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vocus CEO Rick Rudman. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by Vocus employees.