Vocus Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.4

Peter Granat

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, not a hardcore sales environment (in 14 reviews)

• Lots of young people and laid back work environment (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster (in 15 reviews)

• They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Career Changer

Current Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-personal growth
    -high earning potential
    -opportunities for advancement
    -great people (if you take the time to get to know your peers)

Cons

The constant change is frustrating. The inside joke is Vocus is "the world's largest start-up"...And often these changes & initiatives aren't seen through to completion, they're just tested for a period of time and more often than not they're ultimately discarded.

Huge potential, good people, lots of change

Current Employee - Sales  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of career opportunity available at relatively early stages on one's career. Good money to made if you're willing to work for it. Great people....they are what keep you here. Strong SaaS B2B product. Untapped potential. Great amenities at the office, including basketball court & gym. Good work-life balance, not a hardcore sales environment. Top employees have always been taken care of. Awesome incentive trips.

Cons

Working in Beltsville, not a very desirable place. Constant change. Turmoil & uncertainty with the acquisition, and also the investment in the Marketing Suite. Lack of leadership over the last 5 years in terms of direction & investments necessary (but hopefully thats changed with the new management).

Improve communications. Improve relations between departments. Improve data & make smarter decisions moving forward based on that data. Move the company, or at least a portion of it into DC and attract more top DC talent.

Support Services Representative

I have been working at Vocus full-time

Pros

The environment working here is very laid back, and the community fostered by the open environment is definitely something to be proud of.

Cons

I really can't find too much fault with any particular aspect of the company. I don't particularly like working from home, but on days with lots of snow, having a take home laptop takes away your excuses for not doing any work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a rep who hit my number--and I still wouldn't recommend Vocus.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The facilities are great. But, as a sales rep, in order to hit your quota, you won't use them. And if you love the movie, Titanic, then you'll love this place. Everyone left here is the "Band" still playing on, while everyone (even the Captain) jumps ship.

Cons

The company is undergoing too many changes. New Hires beware. The onboarding process (interview, training, etc.) is smoke in mirrors. You'll make dials to companies who are tired of your calls. You will need to cold call to get enough demos (but there's no real cold call training). You'll basically leave with enough experience for a lateral move to another company. There's no growth here because all the senior directors are worried about if they'll even have a job.

Fold completely into Cision.

Firing is how they say hello

I worked at Vocus

Pros

The facility is the best part of the job

Cons

They recruited me, I didn't apply. I turned them down and they said they would give me a higher position. I turned them down originally because the reviews online were terrible and everyone seemed to have unstable employment. I got several more emails, finally accepted the job and was then put into the same position I originally turned down. I was not the only person they did this to. They had people move from out of state, they had people leave large companies, they promised so much, and then put them all in terrible positions.

Figure out where you are going as a company before bringing people on board. Don't bring people on under the impression they will be performing one job and then give them another. Don't recruit people just to fire them.

Volatile times @ Vocus

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is good, benefits are ok but the workspace is incredible. Employees are young and dynamic. The company is going through major restructuring after the private equity acquisition. If you can tolerate high risk, there will be great opportunities for you.

Cons

There is limited room for a long-term career planning at Vocus. Other than sales teams, nobody gets professional development opportunity

Invest in your employees. There is no united culture at Vocus and this is something the management has to invest in.

Good but could have been much better if Senior Management knew what they were doing.

I have been working at Vocus

Pros

Lots of flexibility to run your own book of leads and accounts as you see fit.

Cons

The call reports on a daily basis was a bit much. Some Senior Management (VP of Sales) basically ran the sales team with no strategy in mind--very flavor of the month type of leader.

Decent Experience, Cut Short

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee amenities are top notch
    Solid orientation program
    Young, fun culture
    Forward thinking
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Change in leadership & communication challenges
    Uncertain future
    Treating people like parts of a machine

Be more open during the transition with your plans. Be careful not to change the culture that is currently at Vocus with the acquisition.

Vocus is absolutely awesome, if you're in the right department.

Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people, fast paced and challenging environment, open communication is welcomed between lower level management and employees.

Cons

Not enough communication between management levels.

I love Vocus, I have been here over 2 years now and have no regrets!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment, managers, and people. Great growth opportunities.

Cons

The base salary is a little low.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!