Vocus

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.2

Peter Granat

Pros
  • It's a work hard, play hard environment in addition to a work life balance approach (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of young people and laid back work environment (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster (in 16 reviews)

• They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Experience, Cut Short

I have been working at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee amenities are top notch
    Solid orientation program
    Young, fun culture
    Forward thinking
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Change in leadership & communication challenges
    Uncertain future
    Treating people like parts of a machine

Be more open during the transition with your plans. Be careful not to change the culture that is currently at Vocus with the acquisition.

It's OK if you like working at Disneyland and being easily distracted.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time

Pros

"Work Hard, Play Hard" culture, flexible work schedule. Disneyland-esque work environment, MANY employee perks (gym on-site, fitness classes, etc).

Cons

"Churn and burn" culture. You're just a number. Long work hours at times, and you definitely earn those perks!

Short Lived. Hired, finished training, then laid-off without a chance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The building, the gym, work-life balance, work individually within a team atmosphere, great co-workers, overall positive people

Cons

executive leadership, lack of communication, company direction, GTCR, new owners, lack of cohesiveness between departments, not a lot of company events outside the office

Instead of hiding from the employees, you should listen to their honest feedback and ideas. Former CEO wasn't fit to run the company at that level, but at least he valued the staff and the company.

Was great, then it wasn't

Former Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money at Vocus if you put in the effort. This was my first job out of school and I truly enjoyed working there, however your enjoyment will be based on the job you have and the Director you have. I had 3 great directors, and then I had one awful director who made me want to leave the company.

However, When I had great Director's I loved going to work and being on the phone. You're expected to make 60 dials per day or have 2 hours of talk time, which is pretty easy and will get you to your number if you know anything about the marketing space and about working with people.

The people here are great though. Directors need to be tough, which is expected, but I've made some incredible friends at Vocus because there's so many kids working there. I played basketball every day after work, used the gym regularly, and I had the option of living in either DC or Baltimore, which was great. If you're not about the paycheck and want a pretty easy job with decent earning potential, Vocus could be a good fit (and they will hire anyone who can hold a conversation)

Cons

Morale was so incredibly low when I was laid off. Every person on my team was looking for jobs when they were working at the company, during office hours. Even before then, the constant firing and constant seeing people unsure about their lives after getting laid off was incredibly sad. Regardless of what you read on here, at Vocus, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY JUST A NUMBER. You can be replaced, and you will be replaced if you don't keep hitting quota. I was one of the best sales people there, got a number of awards, made great money, and I finally hit a wall and got fired. This job is draining, and you have to suck it up and get to your number or you will absolutely be gone. They do not invest in training and they expect you to find a way.

Invest in training. If you invest in training and your sales people get good on the phone, they will stay longer. If you don't your salespeople will continue to be awful and you will fire them or they will leave.

Don't raise prices because you think you should. Put a definitive value on the products and services you provide (consulting prices were awful here) and stick with them. Retention and value will go up, I promise.

Enjoyable and Friendly

Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone at this company was very enjoyable to work with on a daily basis. You couldn't have asked for a better place to work. Until the recent takeover by a private equity firm.

Cons

The recent takeover by the private equity firm has changed everyone's passion. It wasn't the same when I left.

Provide updates and a firm direction on where the company is headed. Reintroduce the culture to the company or risk losing employees due to unhappiness.

Young office with cool perks, but poor management and high turnover.

Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They do have some cool perks at the HQ in Beltsville like an on site gym, lots of cool coffee machines, candy, and themed areas. The office also had a lot of young people.

Cons

Management was rigid in their thinking and unresponsive to the opinions of employees. The product was also lackluster. Despite the effort to cultivate an appealing office space, turnover was high.

Talk to your employees and be willing to try new ideas. Plan for the long term, not just the quarter.

Vocus was a cool place to work, but incredibly unorganized.

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and people. Work hard, play hard environment. Rewarded for your work.

Cons

No one has a clue what is going on at the company right now and it showed.

Great to start your career, but that's about it

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-amenities, facilty
    -fun, young people to work with
    -casual environment
    -basketball court

Cons

-low pay
    -product did not work as advertised
    -very unstable, people lost their jobs constantly

listen to your employees, provide better compensation

Fun while it lasted.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Vocus

Pros

Lots of young people and laid back work environment.

Cons

Employees are seen as just a number. Total lack of communication. I don't see the marketing suite side lasting much longer either. Things were very unstable when I left and productivity was at its lowest since I started working there. Not the old Vocus that we all knew. I would do some research before applying here once they start hiring again.

To new management - value your employees more.

Great While it Lasted.

Former Employee - SMB Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - SMB Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are good at sales, ambitious and money motivated, then Vocus was an awesome place to get a start. Commission and bonus structure are solid, and the experience of being successful there looks great on a resume. Young group of employees, so it feels like college that you get paid for. As long as you are above your number, it is an extremely laid back and fun place to work and make a lot of quick cash.

Cons

Infrastructure between departments was nonexistent. Couldn't rely on deals being processed and successfully on-boarded once the sale was made. No accountability on the AE side for them to follow up with new business.

And the marketing suite side of Vocus will probably be no more within 6 months, due to the acquisition by GTCR and their focus on the PR value of Vocus.

Non - Been bought out.