Vocus

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Peter Granat

144 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place for Smart Employees

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsThis is a great place to work if you are willing to work hard. Employees are in control of their own success. People who do well are treated well. Their ideas get support and are put into action and that is a great feeling.

The product and services we provide customers is awesome. This is a great place to work if you have a great understanding of digital marketing and how it can impact business. Vocus helps customers get business, so folks who are passionate about helping clients do that thrive here.

The gym and food trucks are nice, but the real perk is the fact that employees can decide when to take a break or go to the gym based on what works for them. Manage your own schedule and work smarter, not necessarily harder. If you are performing well, you can decide how to work. Success is based on results.

ConsA young workforce can be immature - when it comes to being professional. Avoid the rumor mill and don't let it affect your performance.
    If you aren't performing and need help, ask for it. The managers in place or top performers on the floor will help you. You have to perform and that is just part of doing your job. Some folks are not mature enough to ask questions and ruin the morale of the team.

The training program for sales and for managers across departments needs to be developed. I am sure - based on improvements with employee resources in the past year- that it will roll out this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent. Last minute announcements just make you lose credibility. Encourage communication across departments.

Awesome facility and awesome people to work for and with. I truly enjoy coming to work everyday and that's a blessing!

Beltsville, MD

ProsVocus provides everything you need to produce quality outcomes in your job performance as well as in your life. The facility is equipped with a gym, cafe, spa, and some many benefits that foster the Work Hard and Play Hard mentality.

ConsFlexibility can sometimes lead to unprofessionalism in just a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication is key and keep doing what you are doing.

Challenging, Rewarding, Satisfying!!

Beltsville, MD

ProsVocus has been extremely challenging to me professionally, but without that I wouldn't be where I am atoday. This isn't a place for someone who wants to skate by and not learn, contribute, and make a difference. We want hard working and talented professionals that can come in, make an impact and separate us from competitors. I have been with Vocus for 2 years and we have been through a lot of growth & change, but that's what comes with being employed with a progressive company and in a modern field. We are continuing to make a strong push into the digital marketing space where we will become cloud marketing leaders.

One of the best parts of working for Vocus in the lateral transparency. Every department works extremely well together and communicates on all levels. You just don't find that at all multi-million dollar companies.

And the amenities are a touch of Silicon Valley right here in Beltsville, MD!

ConsTo contradict myself, the growth and change. It's difficult to find a steady routine but that can be exciting. Our employees are adaptable and I truly believe we are on the right path in 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to be communicating on the same level we do laterally. Town Hall meetings can be a bit fluffy. I would encourage our executives to hold quarterly department meetings and get togethers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunities

Small Business Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsGreat work environment, state of the art building
    Gym in the building
    Opportunities for growth and promotion are there for the hard workers
    Awesome team of hard working employees to help grow the business
    Food trucks/vendors almost every day of the week - it makes me WANT to forget to pack my lunch!

ConsParking can be difficult, be sure to get there early!
    Also? The fruit cart empties early in the day, be sure to pick up a fresh apple or pear first thing in the morning!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with communication. Scrambling for a resolution last minute can be a challenge.

work hard, get fired

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

Prosfree coffee, fun employees, basketball court,

Consgetting fired it not a matter of if, but when. below average product

Always changing; sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but never satisfied.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsFlexibility with taking time off if you're doing well. Nice facilities and perks like free fruit and candy.

ConsVocus has changed from a PR only software to a PR and marketing software solution. This hasn't been an easy change and there have been layoffs as high as 100 people for the sales department within a few short months. There was also a sales office in Manila which was completely dissolved; leaving dozens of people out of a job in the Philippines.

Vocus changes your pay structure every 6-12months, most recently lowering payout on commission for sales professionals. Tenure to be promoted changes every few months as well, which can be quite confusing and frustrating.

Bottom line is that the changes are a result of testing different ways to try and make more revenue, with layoffs as the repercussion of failed tests.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkers are replaceable, but that doesn't make it ethical to hire dozens of sales professionals only to let them go months later due to failed tests.

Progressive Company

Herndon, VA

ProsGreat working environment and culture

ConsTough Product to Sell and bad leads

Advice to Senior ManagementLead qualification

Great start but didn't last.

Beltsville, MD

ProsGives Google's Headquarters a run for its money. Lots of little perks that does add up well; free gym, free coffee, free candy and relaxed dress code. Save money on buying Starbucks, don't need to buy expensive office attire or have a monthly gym payment.

ConsLots of empty promises; to us AND customers. Growth opportunity is available, but you'll need to wipe the brown from your nose while making your way to the top. They set expectations, tell you where you can go and tantalize you with the kind of money you can make. They tell you want you need to do to get there. Only problem is when you do exactly as they ask you are still where you started.
    Business is taking turn for the worst and cutting cost where they can from going "green" to save money by making everyone use or buy reusable cups, stop providing basic First Aid or pain meds and the TP quality has decreased.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises you don't plan to keep. Oh and when you are describing the job to a potential hire, make sure they know that this is a Sales job and not a Customer Service Job. Very misleading!

Looks like Vocus is trying to get current employees to pump Glassdoor with stars!!

Director of Sales (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsAmenities and people are great.

ConsUpper management has made poor decisions, and its people have paid a high price; stalling careers and wasting great mid-Atlantic talent in the process. When will Wallstreet remove board members?

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness 101 - Reengineering. Identify who wants and who will invest in VMS ... square peg / round hole. Why was VPR so successful? The answers are in that building.

Never met one happy person at Vocus in over a year

Beltsville, MD

ProsFree coffee, nice gym, and friendly IT support

ConsVery unethical business. They hire and fire so fast you can come in and be fired by noon. They had plans to fire a dozen of my peers immediately after the holidays and did not tell anyone. They encourage people to 'like' them on social media and copy&paste reviews into Indeed and GlassDoor. I mean, its a PR company. I worked there for almost a year before they pulled the plug on my entire department without warning. I worked at the HQ do not think I saw the same person twice because of the turn-over rate.

It is an exciting suite of products, but the management is very shady in how they work. And if you have been contacted by a Vocus "Talent Acquisition Specialist" you are in the right place. Ask SPECIFIC questions because they like to be vague. If you ask the recruiter about this review, they will likely tell you "just like with any sales type position there are bad apples" or "some people do not leave on good terms." I'm here to tell you that I did leave on good terms, and have song long-standing friends because of Vocus. I chose to leave as soon as I realized I was being lied to and did not want to have any part in a company this unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bloating your sales force with college students and young professionals. They are people, they have careers. They are not dispensable like you think. And do not try to pump up your image on review sites.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!

Vocus Videos

Vocus – Why Work for Us?

About Us Vocus (NASDAQ: VOCS) provides leading cloud-based marketing and public relations software that enables companies to acquire and retain customers. The company offers products and services to help clients attract… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vocus reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vocus CEO Peter Granat. All 144 reviews posted anonymously by Vocus employees.