Vocus

www.vocus.com

Vocus Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Peter Granat

Pros
  • Lots of young people and laid back work environment(in 27 reviews)

• There is a great work-life balance here(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster(in 15 reviews)

• They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps(in 15 reviews)

153 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard Work Pays Off!

Business Development (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsIf you are determined to succeed here, you will. Even better, Vocus is starting to compensate their employee better than they have in the past. Our base pay has gone up, and the restructuring of the sales dept. really sets us up for success now! Reps who have done well, are being promoted and are happy with all the changes.

ConsCommunication from upper management need to come down the chain faster. Sometimes I hear big company news from a sales rep before I do from the VP or Director. There is no internal communication regarding bad weather. This makes it really difficult when you live far from the office of what do to.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver-communicate when it comes to new information. Don't delay on the execution of telling those that need to know.

Great Place for Smart Employees

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsThis is a great place to work if you are willing to work hard. Employees are in control of their own success. People who do well are treated well. Their ideas get support and are put into action and that is a great feeling.

The product and services we provide customers is awesome. This is a great place to work if you have a great understanding of digital marketing and how it can impact business. Vocus helps customers get business, so folks who are passionate about helping clients do that thrive here.

The gym and food trucks are nice, but the real perk is the fact that employees can decide when to take a break or go to the gym based on what works for them. Manage your own schedule and work smarter, not necessarily harder. If you are performing well, you can decide how to work. Success is based on results.

ConsA young workforce can be immature - when it comes to being professional. Avoid the rumor mill and don't let it affect your performance.
    If you aren't performing and need help, ask for it. The managers in place or top performers on the floor will help you. You have to perform and that is just part of doing your job. Some folks are not mature enough to ask questions and ruin the morale of the team.

The training program for sales and for managers across departments needs to be developed. I am sure - based on improvements with employee resources in the past year- that it will roll out this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent. Last minute announcements just make you lose credibility. Encourage communication across departments.

Awesome facility and awesome people to work for and with. I truly enjoy coming to work everyday and that's a blessing!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsVocus provides everything you need to produce quality outcomes in your job performance as well as in your life. The facility is equipped with a gym, cafe, spa, and some many benefits that foster the Work Hard and Play Hard mentality.

ConsFlexibility can sometimes lead to unprofessionalism in just a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication is key and keep doing what you are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, Rewarding, Satisfying!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsVocus has been extremely challenging to me professionally, but without that I wouldn't be where I am atoday. This isn't a place for someone who wants to skate by and not learn, contribute, and make a difference. We want hard working and talented professionals that can come in, make an impact and separate us from competitors. I have been with Vocus for 2 years and we have been through a lot of growth & change, but that's what comes with being employed with a progressive company and in a modern field. We are continuing to make a strong push into the digital marketing space where we will become cloud marketing leaders.

One of the best parts of working for Vocus in the lateral transparency. Every department works extremely well together and communicates on all levels. You just don't find that at all multi-million dollar companies.

And the amenities are a touch of Silicon Valley right here in Beltsville, MD!

ConsTo contradict myself, the growth and change. It's difficult to find a steady routine but that can be exciting. Our employees are adaptable and I truly believe we are on the right path in 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to be communicating on the same level we do laterally. Town Hall meetings can be a bit fluffy. I would encourage our executives to hold quarterly department meetings and get togethers.

Great Opportunities

Small Business Sales Representative (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsGreat work environment, state of the art building
    Gym in the building
    Opportunities for growth and promotion are there for the hard workers
    Awesome team of hard working employees to help grow the business
    Food trucks/vendors almost every day of the week - it makes me WANT to forget to pack my lunch!

ConsParking can be difficult, be sure to get there early!
    Also? The fruit cart empties early in the day, be sure to pick up a fresh apple or pear first thing in the morning!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with communication. Scrambling for a resolution last minute can be a challenge.

Progressive Company

Account Executive (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGreat working environment and culture

ConsTough Product to Sell and bad leads

Advice to Senior ManagementLead qualification

Great start but didn't last.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsGives Google's Headquarters a run for its money. Lots of little perks that does add up well; free gym, free coffee, free candy and relaxed dress code. Save money on buying Starbucks, don't need to buy expensive office attire or have a monthly gym payment.

ConsLots of empty promises; to us AND customers. Growth opportunity is available, but you'll need to wipe the brown from your nose while making your way to the top. They set expectations, tell you where you can go and tantalize you with the kind of money you can make. They tell you want you need to do to get there. Only problem is when you do exactly as they ask you are still where you started.
    Business is taking turn for the worst and cutting cost where they can from going "green" to save money by making everyone use or buy reusable cups, stop providing basic First Aid or pain meds and the TP quality has decreased.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises you don't plan to keep. Oh and when you are describing the job to a potential hire, make sure they know that this is a Sales job and not a Customer Service Job. Very misleading!

Looks like Vocus is trying to get current employees to pump Glassdoor with stars!!

Director of Sales (Former Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsAmenities and people are great.

ConsUpper management has made poor decisions, and its people have paid a high price; stalling careers and wasting great mid-Atlantic talent in the process. When will Wallstreet remove board members?

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness 101 - Reengineering. Identify who wants and who will invest in VMS ... square peg / round hole. Why was VPR so successful? The answers are in that building.

Great work environment and terrific opportunity to make a lot of money!

Mid Market Sales (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

Pros- You can wear pretty much anything you want to work.
    - It's a very relaxed work atmosphere.
    - You can make really good money if you're good at it.
    - You don't have to wait a long time to get paid your commissions.
    - Great employee culture and everybody is easy to get along with.
    - Great employee incentives for Quarterly, Annual Bonus's and Trips.

Cons- The Vocus marketing product could be more polished and able to better compete with some of the big players in the market.
    - It's a tough sell in a sea of stiff competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your money and efforts on making the product better. Over time it will get there.

Would totally come back and work here again!

Media Researcher (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsAmazing work perks: ping pong table, Playstation/Xbox in the lounge, lunches bought by the company, massage days etc.

ConsI didn't leave the company for bad reasons. Left because I wanted to pursue a different career. Else, I wouldn't have left at all!

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!