Vocus

Vocus Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Peter Granat

144 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

And the hits just keep on coming...

Sales Director (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsThe amenities........ That's it....really it is

ConsI can't believe they're rolling even more people out of there. It seems as though every month a former colleague is reaching out for work. What is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope you know what you're doing. AT least for the sake of those left standing.

Disorganized

Beltsville, MD

Prosoffice culture--relaxed, great direct sales managers

Conscant say the same for upper management. zero organization internally. sales/marketing structure and business development support was brutal

Advice to Senior Managementtime to revamp sales/marketing structure with business development

highly disappointed

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

Prosgreat people, atmosphere and facilities

Consfalse hope, constant changes and no room for growth

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't be fooled

Herndon, VA

ProsThe money. But no stability. Beware

ConsMassive firing every quarter. Employees are forced to write positive evaluation. Upper management speak poorly of thier employees.
    “Beware recent college
    - New college grads get herded to this place with lots of false promises, I always felt bad for them.
    Do your research prior to working for this company. Wouldn't recommend this job to anyone not even someone I hated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

If you don't mind lying, work here!

Software Sales Executive - Small Business (Current Employee)

ProsEnvironment
    Colleagues
    Good money
    Cool Product
    Free trips
    Free drinks and candy
    Different food truck everyday (but it's not free)

ConsManagement encourages lying and cheating to make a sale. The product is good, but it's not great and there's so many issues with it that no one wants to talk about- they'd rather slap a bandaid on broken arm.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATION. Stop trying to hide things because everyone finds out anyway and then you guys look like liars.

Today was my last day after 2 years!

New Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsThe main office is a fun environment with lots to do. Everyone dresses pretty casual and we're all basically the same age. These are all things every other review is saying, so let's move on....

ConsThings have changed majorly since I first started! My last Glassdoor review was honest, but I still felt like it was a great place to work. I no longer feel this way and since I was robbed of an opportunity to speak to my directors' boss (yea, he didn't even say bye after 2 years of hitting my numbers...) here is what I would have said:

When top talent isn’t performing there’s usually more to it than lack of focus. It’s really unfortunate that upper management does not take the time to continuously develop their top talent, aside from consistently throwing metrics in their face and calling it “motivation”. Any top performer is always conscious of their numbers so during a dry-spell support from your superiors would go a long way and show that they’re committed to their employees’ growth. More recently it has been all about numbers and metrics at Vocus, which has been fostering shady behavior. Everyone knows what’s happening, and it’s clear that management is looking the other way because all that matters is revenue. This is discouraging to anyone who doesn’t want to succeed that way.

I was not performing because I won’t cheat a co-worker out of an opportunity and I won’t lie about services we provide. I do not believe in what we're selling anymore, and I don't trust that there's anything being done to support my role. Why are we not ranking on search engines for any marketing keywords (i.e. online marketing, online marketing platform, marketing automation, etc.), but we are for PR terms (i.e. free press releases, news monitoring, etc.)? Why do the majority of our D2R leads have no idea they signed up for a demo? Why are there no recent case studies for VMS? Why is Vocus the only company that still requests an upfront payment for an Enterprise solution? These are questions I’ve had for over a year and since they still haven’t been addressed I can only assume it’s not a priority. My prospects have very similar questions (if not the exact same ones) and I can no longer dance around the truth.

I am not some bitter employee who was fired and wants to bash Vocus; I left on my own terms after a few months of being unhappy. I am so thankful for the skills I learned at Vocus; selling a dream and asking for money up front isn’t easy. If you don't mind bending the truth and sneaking behind coworkers backs to be successful then Vocus is a great place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!!! You all are so far removed from the sales floor and what real customers are saying that you don't get how we struggle. It's not just in new sales, it's account executives and the marketing department as well. We're all saying the same things over and over and over again, but you only seem to care about revenue. No one wins when our backend and front-end aren't on the same page. You will continue to lose top performers if you don't talk to them and fix the things that have been wrong for years.

Never met one happy person at Vocus in over a year

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsFree coffee, nice gym, and friendly IT support

ConsVery unethical business. They hire and fire so fast you can come in and be fired by noon. They had plans to fire a dozen of my peers immediately after the holidays and did not tell anyone. They encourage people to 'like' them on social media and copy&paste reviews into Indeed and GlassDoor. I mean, its a PR company. I worked there for almost a year before they pulled the plug on my entire department without warning. I worked at the HQ do not think I saw the same person twice because of the turn-over rate.

It is an exciting suite of products, but the management is very shady in how they work. And if you have been contacted by a Vocus "Talent Acquisition Specialist" you are in the right place. Ask SPECIFIC questions because they like to be vague. If you ask the recruiter about this review, they will likely tell you "just like with any sales type position there are bad apples" or "some people do not leave on good terms." I'm here to tell you that I did leave on good terms, and have song long-standing friends because of Vocus. I chose to leave as soon as I realized I was being lied to and did not want to have any part in a company this unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bloating your sales force with college students and young professionals. They are people, they have careers. They are not dispensable like you think. And do not try to pump up your image on review sites.

Do not make the same mistake I made

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Beltsville, MD

ProsFree Candy and soda. Got me a much better job.

ConsEverything else. First off the training is terrible and it leaves you completely unprepared for the job. Secondly management is clueless about how to run successful sales teams and they continuously shift messaging to attempt to find the right button to push (it's not working). This place is a clown factory, the tools that they sell don't work and by the end of it you almost feel bad closing deals because you know you are basically stealing from the customer. I was a top performer on my team but couldn't take how idiotic management was and no longer felt comfortable duping the customer.

do not work at vocus.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone to buy Vocus before your stock is basically worthless. Your earnings are dismal and market share is dwindling. Your product does not deliver on any of it's promises, sell Vocus for whatever you can get for it before the market finds out that your tools are basically worthless.

Terrible place to work!

Beltsville, MD

Pros-Free bees like coffee, sodas, candies
    -Ping pong table, shuffle board.
    -Casual dress Code
    -No drug tests or back ground check

Cons- HIgh turn over rate
    They constantly hire new people and lets them go if they are not hitting quote after 3 months.
    They do a mass firing once a month to cut cost and make room for new trainees.

-Only top 5 to 10% sales rep hits quota
    Everyone struggles and leads are so bad that all sales reps have to do cold calls. the product does not sell and requires small business to cough up 3K-12K of dollars up front for a n annual subscription for a software that does not provide any ROI and guarantees no success. Prices often increases.

-Low Salary base
    Don't expect to get raises or promoted anytime soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower pricing on the software and change to monthly payments allowing to market to small business. Or be bought by another larger company to keep this company from going under.

Worst Work Place Ever!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFree soda/coffee – nice facility
    Young environment
    Learn marketing basics
    Bagels on Friday if your team is selling
    If you can make it a year in sales here you can make it anywhere.
    Much better job opportunities at different companies if you make it a year.

ConsWhere do I start. Vocus is one of the biggest sales traps in the area.
    Low base salary / high unattainable quota
    High turnover 90% annually
    Held back because of new reps.
    Management leaves sales floor in the dark about everything.
    Stock price is tumbling .
    Not a stable job at all.
    Sneaky sales tactics.
    Underwhelming product.
    Quantity over quality of task.
    Cluttered salesforce with old bunk leads.
    ROE is a joke.
    Call blitzes .
    No direction.
    Glass Ceiling.
    Lead generation Manila.
    Lied to about working conditions. Sales floor is in a separate building that is basically a boiler room.
    Will hire anyone / background checks are a joke.
    Bad leads / bad product.
    Low employee morale.
    Lex Luthor and certain directors make it feel like a work camp.
    HR and recruiters lying on glassdoor to boost rating of the company, so there is no shortage of meat for the grinder.
    MONEY MONEY MONEY
    Care more about money than their lackluster product.
    HR is a joke and you can get away with anything.
    Constantly changing direction

Vocus increased its price double a couple of months ago and it only got worse from there. No one is selling anything except for a few reps. Very talented reps that work very hard to achieve this number. Businesses do not like the product and are not willing to shell out the payment for it up front. This is very hard for a 12,000 dollar a year package. Especially when your leads do not have two nickels to rub together. When the product was not selling, we were forced to sell our consulting service. The consulting service was our answer all of the objections that would be thrown our way. Then a job where we were promised good warm leads, they switched and made us focus on cold calling. During this time our managers would walk up and down our aisle of our connected desks. Making sure that we were cold calling companies that were given to us. This also failed miserably, because they bought any info they could and were forced to call machinery companies and other businesses’ that wanted nothing to do with social media.

The turnover rate is incredible, During the year I was there out of 12 reps 2 are still left. There is no job stability and you are one bad month from getting fired. The managers are helpful but they are not upfront about what is going on in the company, leaving the sales force in the blue.

The final nail in the coffin was when our Biggest product PRweb no longer contained any SEO value at all. That was the main reason companies would buy the Vocus marketing suite. The suite itself is not good at all and is constantly playing catch-up with the completion. Because of this you are forced to use less than ethical ways to get sales. Fake price increases, discounts, strong arming and upselling packages to companies that have no use for certain products. The way the suite is packaged is awful. Most people want prweb, but you cannot just sell them prweb anymore only prepackaged services. That they do not need that is very overpriced compared to the competition.

This is a sink or swim atmosphere, if you don’t sell right away managers either try to get you fired or write you off until you fail miserably and are fired. Recruiters are constantly monitoring job websites for Vocus employees to report to their managers, because they are no longer drinking the kool aide. You make a lot of friends, they are almost gone instantly. You are constantly looking for new jobs, because its only a matter of time. Upper management is a joke and do not care about you even though, they are nice to your face. Talking to businesses that are a good fit is hard, because lack of training.

The post about Lex Luthor is correct. You cannot enjoy anything if he is in the building. The only time the CEO came over to the building was pick out which ikea paintings are going where. There is a town hall for employees every month and it is the same stuff every time. When real questions are asked the CEO just beats around the bush of the question or pushes it off to one of his lackeys. No written warnings for firings, just whenever Lex Luthor feels like ruining some lives. The directors are questionable at best, basically a kool aide SELL SELL SELL mentality. Morale on the floor is at the lowest ever and all the sales managers are jumping ship, waiting for this place to go out of business.

Do not let positive glassdoor reviews fool you. HR sits around all day making fake emails and posting positive reviews, I warned you.

To all current Vocus Employees, you are better than this and you can get a much better job with minimal amount on looking. This is because most recruiters in the area know what Vocus is and are just waiting for you to be fired.

do not let the work hard play hard tag line get you roped in. its all play hard.

Advice to Senior Managementfirst of all take search off the vocus website, telling people how to optimize isnt the same thing as link building. Lower your price and fix the packages to be more affordable for the micro businesses that you are bring in as leads. Enough with the veil of secrecy, its not like you guys are doing anything game changing. Buying signals are a joke, some a simple twitter search can do for free. stop drinking your own kool aide and realize you need to spend more time training reps instead of this hire fire mentality. find someone to buy you out already... its only a matter of time before the bubble bursts for this joke of a company. FIx the mortal kombat machine.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!

Vocus Videos

Vocus – Why Work for Us?

About Us Vocus (NASDAQ: VOCS) provides leading cloud-based marketing and public relations software that enables companies to acquire and retain customers. The company offers products and services to help clients attract… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vocus reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vocus CEO Peter Granat. All 144 reviews posted anonymously by Vocus employees.