Vocus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Peter Granat

Pros
  • There is a great work-life balance here (in 16 reviews)

• There is a casual work environment that gives a lot on the job perks and company outings (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • cant say the same for upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Less than 10% of sales reps actually hit quota although they will stress every single day that you need to be hitting quota (in 15 reviews)

Painful Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Lanham, MD

Pros

Let's see: Some of the best reasons to work at Vocus are that they have a nice building, two gyms, and free parking.

Cons

Where do I begin: The employee morale is extremely low, there is not a good training program, the goals are extremely unattainable making their OTE very unrealistic, and there is zero communication within the company. It was just an awful experience.

Advice to Management

I would recommend they are honest to prospective employees regarding the percentage of Sales Reps at quota and making their goals, and on target earnings. Rick Rudman seems like a good guy and is very visible within the company, but needs to realize the Sales leaders are what has given Vocus such a bad reputation.

Good Learning Experience, Bad Employment Experience

Former Employee - Former Vocus Sales Representative in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Former Vocus Sales Representative in Lanham, MD

Pros

Very few competitors in the marketplace. Good for college grads because Vocus pays nothing but will hire anyone.

Cons

Too much micro managing and too many sales reps for anyone to make any kind of real money. Telecommuting is frowned on, people are pigeon-holded and women do not receive the same opportunities as men. Also, you need to be successful immediately or you will be fired. Salespeople are not given time to learn the industry or develop deals or client relationships.

Advice to Management

Start fresh with people who understand how to solution sell and how to grow sales professionals.

Seriously sucks to work here

I have been working at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice things like a gym, the inside of the building looks like a town. They call it Vocus town.

Cons

Where to start? The sales executive position sucks. This is of course their bread and butter. Really, don't fall into the trap. Here: - hard to achieve sales goals meant to stress you out. Only a few people hit quota. - lots of your coworkers quit - the marketing department is horrible, makes banner ad campaigns that produce terrible, unqualified leads - work your butt off for a terrible salary. - parking is the worst - lots of write offs if you make a sale - hard to make it into management. saw people hit sales goals, told they were getting promoted and then didn't - again, unqualified clients. you are selling a three star meal to a mickey d's crowd.

Advice to Management

teach your employees, don't just put the burden on them.

Save your time by looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress attire, not bad on the working hours, managers are good people and care about their teams.

Cons

I am going to start by letting you know that this is a position which is a revolving door for several reasons. On the one hand the company provides little incentives to stay- for example, the salary base is poor, the benefits are terrible (don't go through HR for 401k or medical benefits), the prospects are unqualified and have no money usually, there is no protection for write offs (you get charged back if a company you sign doesn't pay up). On the other hand, aside the incentives, the company values only itself. I had months when I made quota, or close, and months that were the opposite (very hard on a sales rep). Despite these up and downs, the company blamed me and eventually let me go. This also happened with other individuals.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to realize there are too many people and the lead generation is poor. Don't let go of great people with high intelligence because you are performing poorly!

Chaos day in and day out

I have been working at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, decent work environment, fun coworkers

Cons

This is a telemarketing job. You will be calling mostly unqualified people. Sometimes you waste time calling bunk numbers to increase your talk time. Your manager will micromanage you and so will his superior. When I accepted the job no one said I had to make calls at a certain time, in fact they told me I was free to run my day as I pleased. The human resources people have been on a rampage to pretty much burn the relationship between the company the workforce. More than a dozen employees i can think of have been dealth with in a rude matter. The upper management is cold and uncaring. There is no overtime pay even if you stay after work and its a client phone call there is no compensation. The base pay is poor. You might as well avoid the insurmountable stress they put on you and work as a waiter or bartender in the nearby area.

Advice to Management

Get real.

Don't even think about it

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great products, good learning experience, good looking gals at the office

Cons

I have been working here for some time and I can tell you that the every day stress is only aggravated by upper management constantly breathing down our necks. The prospects have dwindled making it harder to make sales, Vocus is currently FORCING us to make calls between certain times, and people constantly get fired despite their potential to help the company. If stay longer there is no over time. Managers DESPERATELY need training. New sales reps are mainly college kids with no previous experience and it gets annoying to catch them up only to get fired. People quit as well sometimes because they see no upward mobility and other times because they have had it with ridiculous company policies.

Advice to Management

Stop breathing down our necks and go focus on repairing the issues in marketing and the SUPER RUDE HR department.

Experienced Salespeople, do not consider Vocus

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, vibrant culture. Atmosphere is cool.

Cons

If this is a job you get right out of college then it's a decent starting point, if you have a couple years of decent sales experience then I wouldn't even entertain the idea of working here. First and foremost the starting salary plus compensation is 40-50k (if you're lucky). Out of college that's not so bad, but when you bust your butt for a few years and take a position with a 100+ million dollar company you're expecting to make substantially more than that. When your selling a product/service that's has so many good competitors its important to have a strong marketing team who can generate solid leads, with Vocus this does not exist: expect a mediocre leads per week at best. Honestly I took the job because I thought this company had strong growth potential and would open up avenues for a successful sales career. After 5 months of working there I realized that my hard work wasn't paying off and that ultimately I wasn't going anywhere... I applied for another sales position with a different organization and when they asked where I was working they laughed because they had several interviewees who used to work there. Needless to say Vocus has a very high turnover rate for sales people and it's not suprising. Ultimately I was offered the position making 50k with OTE of 85k, plus there are substantial leads brought in from marketing. In closing the best part of leaving Vocus was the fact that I don't have to drive to Beltsville, MD everyday. They call it the "Washington, D.C. office" but in reality it 45 minutes to an hour from DC in traffic. Don't expect to grab happy hour with your peers after work because the "Compund" is in the middle of no where.

Advice to Management

Stop investing money on workplace environment and use that money to pay employees better.

Constantly looking for a new job

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free coffee, soda, crackers, cool company functions, lots of candy- pretty much what can cause diabetes. they offer a gym, game room, etc.

Cons

At least twice a month they will have some brainwashing function that wastes your time instead of making calls. Now the Lex Luthor up in senior management has made it mandatory we call. I was never told their "corporate" culture meant getting micromanaged like we live in 1930s Germany. Every morning your team will have a meeting, where your manager pretty much gives you a pep talk of sorts. Let's talk about the fact that it's so demotivating to see good teammates quit because there is no job security. Some get fired and let go of without warning- but the people who do unethical things to get sales (better said, steal sales) will get promoted. Any time you want to talk to HR, they push you off or make something they've messed up in your problem. Your manager will just tell you the leads will get better, but they don't. Makes you feel like the company is unhelpful even in the most routine and critical aspects of the job. People are clickish- so, welcome back to high school! The parking is awful and so is the traffic. They are opening a new office in Manila. Expect jobs to get outsourced.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes.

Be wary, of reviews written by current staff that has a bunch of exclamation points, (see other posts/reviews below )

Current Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to get a job right out of college and cool building. Other than that, it is a completely different story than what the "staff" is writing in the reviews below. They are getting a terrible name on the street and are trying to protect their image by putting fake reviews on Glass Door.

Cons

Here is the truth: Huge turnover rates- people getting fired/quitting, approx 50% for the year. You can decide if that is a good thing or not, but has been that way for years and they still havent addressed the issue, just keep hiring and firing. The trip the "hr or recruiter" wrote about below, was actually a trip that the top sales people won, but it was supposed to be to the Dominican Republic, but Sr Management changed it without telling anyone and with no explanation. All the top reps are upset at being deceived, once again. Only a very few are hitting qouta in sales. Out of 100's of reps in small business and mid market, only a few actually hit their yearly numbers. That is why there is so much turnover and unhappiness on the sales floor. Look at the falling stock price and figure out if Management has any idea of what it is doing, the answer is right there.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to build up your glassdoor profile to make the company and CEO look good, instead of smoke and mirrors, get involved and fix the problems. Its right there in front of you to fix, but you need to actually get involved.

Office Space

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-the other reps on the floor -free soda

Cons

-This is now a call center. I have been working with the company over a year and its been nothing but changes since I arrived. The office goes through about 2 mass firings a year right around January and In may. - Management is always hiring people. It never stops aka The turn over rate is so high you can even make friends with someone in the office because in 3 months they will be gone. -College kids everywhere. No experienced professionals in the office. - A lot of outside hires for managers. In which the reps know more about the product than the managers and it loses management creditability. - Your leads they promise you are terrible. They hand you a phone book with 400 numbers for you to pull sales from. - Stock price keeps dropping + Constantly changing business plan + no experience on the floor = Titanic - No real leadership in the office. You are put into teams but its pretty much every man and woman for themselves - Sweatshop atmosphere. Your manager will stand behind you during your calls and make sure you are doing what is "good for the company." - No room for growth. The mid market and large markets are all full and there are over 150 reps that are trying to get into them.

Advice to Management

Its simple. People will work harder for you if you trust them. Managers need to have faith that their reps are doing everything they can to pull in deals. Second, just because you did great on the sales floor does not mean you are ready to manage a team. Take the time to investigate a new manager. See how he or she interacts and how they can motivate them without happy hours or free lunches. This company was founded on the idea of "fun" and "excitement" and now its fallen off the path and got lost in the bushes.

RSS Feed </> Embed