Vocus Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. 20 year old company feels more like start-up with uncertain future in sight.

Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture was relaxed. You could wear jeans and a t-shirt to work if you wanted. The office was great. It had a full gym, basketball court, and spa located inside the building.

Cons

I feel that the company grew way too fast and some of the decisions made about the software caused the company to put itself up for sale. They were bought in June by GTCR who ended up laying off half of the company.

Advice to Management

Good luck with whatever the future holds.

I love Vocus, I have been here over 2 years now and have no regrets!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, managers, and people. Great growth opportunities.

Cons

The base salary is a little low.

Vocus is absolutely awesome, if you're in the right department.

Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, fast paced and challenging environment, open communication is welcomed between lower level management and employees.

Cons

Not enough communication between management levels.

Volatile times @ Vocus

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good, benefits are ok but the workspace is incredible. Employees are young and dynamic. The company is going through major restructuring after the private equity acquisition. If you can tolerate high risk, there will be great opportunities for you.

Cons

There is limited room for a long-term career planning at Vocus. Other than sales teams, nobody gets professional development opportunity

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. There is no united culture at Vocus and this is something the management has to invest in.

6. Great people, but company could not handle its rapid growth

Former Employee - Small Business Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Small Business Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere here is great and so are your coworkers. I enjoyed coming to work everyday because of the people there; I made some great friends.

Cons

Vocus grew rapidly and didn't handle it well. Communication to the clients and to employees was horrible and I think it contributed to the decline in sales and turnover rate.

A true rollercoaster ride.

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great employee benefits.
    -Overall good people to work with.
    -Digital marketing industry experience.

Cons

Vocus was always a rollercoaster ride given the never-ending product / service changes from leadership, yet they missed the obvious change to make: in order to sell to small business, you need to make your service offering affordable to acquire sales. Not once did Vocus change their payment structure (Vocus only offered upfront payment and not monthly or quarterly payments) for prospective small business clients. By not being flexible in this, sales reps lost so many potential deals, which lead to several layoffs and ultimately the acquisition. It still puzzles me why this never changed. I would say about 90% or more of the sales reps in the small business dept. did not meet quota because of this reason.

Advice to Management

Morale significantly decreased after the rumors spread about the acquisition. The lack of communication from the leadership made this worse. You need to communicate better with your employees all the time and listen to your sales reps, who are constantly speaking to your target market. And lastly, be more flexible to your potential clients.

8. It's OK if you like working at Disneyland and being easily distracted.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time

Pros

"Work Hard, Play Hard" culture, flexible work schedule. Disneyland-esque work environment, MANY employee perks (gym on-site, fitness classes, etc).

Cons

"Churn and burn" culture. You're just a number. Long work hours at times, and you definitely earn those perks!

Was great, then it wasn't

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money at Vocus if you put in the effort. This was my first job out of school and I truly enjoyed working there, however your enjoyment will be based on the job you have and the Director you have. I had 3 great directors, and then I had one awful director who made me want to leave the company.

However, When I had great Director's I loved going to work and being on the phone. You're expected to make 60 dials per day or have 2 hours of talk time, which is pretty easy and will get you to your number if you know anything about the marketing space and about working with people.

The people here are great though. Directors need to be tough, which is expected, but I've made some incredible friends at Vocus because there's so many kids working there. I played basketball every day after work, used the gym regularly, and I had the option of living in either DC or Baltimore, which was great. If you're not about the paycheck and want a pretty easy job with decent earning potential, Vocus could be a good fit (and they will hire anyone who can hold a conversation)

Cons

Morale was so incredibly low when I was laid off. Every person on my team was looking for jobs when they were working at the company, during office hours. Even before then, the constant firing and constant seeing people unsure about their lives after getting laid off was incredibly sad. Regardless of what you read on here, at Vocus, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY JUST A NUMBER. You can be replaced, and you will be replaced if you don't keep hitting quota. I was one of the best sales people there, got a number of awards, made great money, and I finally hit a wall and got fired. This job is draining, and you have to suck it up and get to your number or you will absolutely be gone. They do not invest in training and they expect you to find a way.

Advice to Management

Invest in training. If you invest in training and your sales people get good on the phone, they will stay longer. If you don't your salespeople will continue to be awful and you will fire them or they will leave.

Don't raise prices because you think you should. Put a definitive value on the products and services you provide (consulting prices were awful here) and stick with them. Retention and value will go up, I promise.

10. Young office with cool perks, but poor management and high turnover.

Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do have some cool perks at the HQ in Beltsville like an on site gym, lots of cool coffee machines, candy, and themed areas. The office also had a lot of young people.

Cons

Management was rigid in their thinking and unresponsive to the opinions of employees. The product was also lackluster. Despite the effort to cultivate an appealing office space, turnover was high.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and be willing to try new ideas. Plan for the long term, not just the quarter.

Enjoyable and Friendly

Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at this company was very enjoyable to work with on a daily basis. You couldn't have asked for a better place to work. Until the recent takeover by a private equity firm.

Cons

The recent takeover by the private equity firm has changed everyone's passion. It wasn't the same when I left.

Advice to Management

Provide updates and a firm direction on where the company is headed. Reintroduce the culture to the company or risk losing employees due to unhappiness.

RSS Feed </> Embed