Vocus Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Was great, then it wasn't

Former Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money at Vocus if you put in the effort. This was my first job out of school and I truly enjoyed working there, however your enjoyment will be based on the job you have and the Director you have. I had 3 great directors, and then I had one awful director who made me want to leave the company. However, When I had great Director's I loved going to work and being on the phone. You're expected to make 60 dials per day or have 2 hours of talk time, which is pretty easy and will get you to your number if you know anything about the marketing space and about working with people. The people here are great though. Directors need to be tough, which is expected, but I've made some incredible friends at Vocus because there's so many kids working there. I played basketball every day after work, used the gym regularly, and I had the option of living in either DC or Baltimore, which was great. If you're not about the paycheck and want a pretty easy job with decent earning potential, Vocus could be a good fit (and they will hire anyone who can hold a conversation)

Cons

Morale was so incredibly low when I was laid off. Every person on my team was looking for jobs when they were working at the company, during office hours. Even before then, the constant firing and constant seeing people unsure about their lives after getting laid off was incredibly sad. Regardless of what you read on here, at Vocus, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY JUST A NUMBER. You can be replaced, and you will be replaced if you don't keep hitting quota. I was one of the best sales people there, got a number of awards, made great money, and I finally hit a wall and got fired. This job is draining, and you have to suck it up and get to your number or you will absolutely be gone. They do not invest in training and they expect you to find a way.

Advice to Management

Invest in training. If you invest in training and your sales people get good on the phone, they will stay longer. If you don't your salespeople will continue to be awful and you will fire them or they will leave. Don't raise prices because you think you should. Put a definitive value on the products and services you provide (consulting prices were awful here) and stick with them. Retention and value will go up, I promise.

2. Young office with cool perks, but poor management and high turnover.

Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Generation in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do have some cool perks at the HQ in Beltsville like an on site gym, lots of cool coffee machines, candy, and themed areas. The office also had a lot of young people.

Cons

Management was rigid in their thinking and unresponsive to the opinions of employees. The product was also lackluster. Despite the effort to cultivate an appealing office space, turnover was high.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and be willing to try new ideas. Plan for the long term, not just the quarter.

Enjoyable and Friendly

Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Not Sales in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at this company was very enjoyable to work with on a daily basis. You couldn't have asked for a better place to work. Until the recent takeover by a private equity firm.

Cons

The recent takeover by the private equity firm has changed everyone's passion. It wasn't the same when I left.

Advice to Management

Provide updates and a firm direction on where the company is headed. Reintroduce the culture to the company or risk losing employees due to unhappiness.

Short Lived. Hired, finished training, then laid-off without a chance

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The building, the gym, work-life balance, work individually within a team atmosphere, great co-workers, overall positive people

Cons

executive leadership, lack of communication, company direction, GTCR, new owners, lack of cohesiveness between departments, not a lot of company events outside the office

Advice to Management

Instead of hiding from the employees, you should listen to their honest feedback and ideas. Former CEO wasn't fit to run the company at that level, but at least he valued the staff and the company.

6. Great to start your career, but that's about it

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-amenities, facilty -fun, young people to work with -casual environment -basketball court

Cons

-low pay -product did not work as advertised -very unstable, people lost their jobs constantly

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, provide better compensation

7. Vocus was a cool place to work, but incredibly unorganized.

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and people. Work hard, play hard environment. Rewarded for your work.

Cons

No one has a clue what is going on at the company right now and it showed.

Great While it Lasted.

Former Employee - SMB Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - SMB Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are good at sales, ambitious and money motivated, then Vocus was an awesome place to get a start. Commission and bonus structure are solid, and the experience of being successful there looks great on a resume. Young group of employees, so it feels like college that you get paid for. As long as you are above your number, it is an extremely laid back and fun place to work and make a lot of quick cash.

Cons

Infrastructure between departments was nonexistent. Couldn't rely on deals being processed and successfully on-boarded once the sale was made. No accountability on the AE side for them to follow up with new business. And the marketing suite side of Vocus will probably be no more within 6 months, due to the acquisition by GTCR and their focus on the PR value of Vocus.

Advice to Management

Non - Been bought out.

Dropped for no reason.

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great intoduction to sales. Managers will coach you.

Cons

Directors have no idea who works for them.

Advice to Management

Does not matter they were all fired

Good sales job with ups and downs

I worked at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, great company perks (office, gym, food trucks, events), good office environment, decent training.

Cons

frequent changes, poor communication, relatively high turnover and lack of strategy for keeping up with the flux

So much room for opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headquarters are awesome- bootcamp, yoga, delicious coffee, young atmosphere. So much room for opportunity. The digital marketing industry has seen significant change the past couple year. With that, a company has to change as well. If you can't adapt to change and go with the flow, Vocus isn't the place for you. If you aren't afraid of working hard, going the extra mile, and staying positive, then you will love it here!

Cons

The office is open on Christmas Eve.

RSS Feed </> Embed