Vocus Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.4

Peter Granat

Pros
  • Lots of young people and laid back work environment (in 27 reviews)

• There is a great work-life balance here (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster (in 15 reviews)

• They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

158 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Alot of HUGE and positive changes....

Current Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Sales Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Made massive changes to the salesforce- increased salaries - changed commissions
    re structured sales under new leadership
    great opportunity to make alot of money now
    new chief revenue officer
    havent made layoffs recently-- people are performing

Cons

vocus went through growing pains last year- based on the new leadership changes I do not think that will be the case anymore

communicate with employees, grow slowly, extra money is a very good thing!

Growing my career at Vocus

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits
    Outstanding perks
    Ability to expand your skills
    Grow your career
    C-level exposure

Cons

Around the clock working hours some days.

good

Current Employee - BDA  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - BDA in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

a lot of incentive great place to work, very young work force

Cons

territory management, a lot of pressure be ready to do the job when you get in

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It passed the time

Former Employee - Media Researcher  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Media Researcher in College Park, MD

I worked at Vocus part-time for more than a year

Pros

Little expected of me; room for promotion

Cons

Boring, tedious, intrusive work that was morally ambiguous.

Great Introduction into a growing industry

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business in Herndon, VA

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

I took this job with limited B2B sales experience and was quickly educated on the cloud marketing space. There is a casual work environment that gives a lot on the job perks and company outings.

Cons

The Salesforce is HUGE!!! So quality leads are sparse and hard to come by which leads to higher turnover than what there should be. Too many middles managers that have small teams. If you have a bad manager then they can make your life miserable.

Keep the Sales force small

Good

Former Employee - Employee  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good decent OK moderate mediocre

Cons

Not so good poor unwell

Do more things

Vocus has the best work environment I have ever experienced

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a great work-life balance here. The facilities are amazing with a large gym, basketball court and fitness classes daily like boot camp and yoga.

Cons

Some turnover but this is to be expected from a sales heavy organization.

Keep investing in top talent!

Today was my last day after 2 years!

Former Employee - New Sales Representative  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - New Sales Representative in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main office is a fun environment with lots to do. Everyone dresses pretty casual and we're all basically the same age. These are all things every other review is saying, so let's move on....

Cons

Things have changed majorly since I first started! My last Glassdoor review was honest, but I still felt like it was a great place to work. I no longer feel this way and since I was robbed of an opportunity to speak to my directors' boss (yea, he didn't even say bye after 2 years of hitting my numbers...) here is what I would have said:

When top talent isn’t performing there’s usually more to it than lack of focus. It’s really unfortunate that upper management does not take the time to continuously develop their top talent, aside from consistently throwing metrics in their face and calling it “motivation”. Any top performer is always conscious of their numbers so during a dry-spell support from your superiors would go a long way and show that they’re committed to their employees’ growth. More recently it has been all about numbers and metrics at Vocus, which has been fostering shady behavior. Everyone knows what’s happening, and it’s clear that management is looking the other way because all that matters is revenue. This is discouraging to anyone who doesn’t want to succeed that way.

I was not performing because I won’t cheat a co-worker out of an opportunity and I won’t lie about services we provide. I do not believe in what we're selling anymore, and I don't trust that there's anything being done to support my role. Why are we not ranking on search engines for any marketing keywords (i.e. online marketing, online marketing platform, marketing automation, etc.), but we are for PR terms (i.e. free press releases, news monitoring, etc.)? Why do the majority of our D2R leads have no idea they signed up for a demo? Why are there no recent case studies for VMS? Why is Vocus the only company that still requests an upfront payment for an Enterprise solution? These are questions I’ve had for over a year and since they still haven’t been addressed I can only assume it’s not a priority. My prospects have very similar questions (if not the exact same ones) and I can no longer dance around the truth.

I am not some bitter employee who was fired and wants to bash Vocus; I left on my own terms after a few months of being unhappy. I am so thankful for the skills I learned at Vocus; selling a dream and asking for money up front isn’t easy. If you don't mind bending the truth and sneaking behind coworkers backs to be successful then Vocus is a great place for you!

Listen to your employees!!! You all are so far removed from the sales floor and what real customers are saying that you don't get how we struggle. It's not just in new sales, it's account executives and the marketing department as well. We're all saying the same things over and over and over again, but you only seem to care about revenue. No one wins when our backend and front-end aren't on the same page. You will continue to lose top performers if you don't talk to them and fix the things that have been wrong for years.

If you don't mind lying, work here!

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment
    Colleagues
    Good money
    Cool Product
    Free trips
    Free drinks and candy
    Different food truck everyday (but it's not free)

Cons

Management encourages lying and cheating to make a sale. The product is good, but it's not great and there's so many issues with it that no one wants to talk about- they'd rather slap a bandaid on broken arm.

COMMUNICATION. Stop trying to hide things because everyone finds out anyway and then you guys look like liars.

Fun and, at times, challenging--presents a lot of opportunity for personal growth.

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time

Pros

Fun colleagues and work environment; Flexible work hours and telecommuting policies; Great fitness facilities onsite and lots of free fitness classes throughout the week;

Cons

Open, shared workspace is overdone; Management plans, policies and leadership roles are sometimes confusing or ambiguous to non-management; Lighting in most main areas produces too much glare.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!