Vocus Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.4

Peter Granat

Pros
  • Lots of young people and laid back work environment (in 27 reviews)

• There is a great work-life balance here (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster (in 15 reviews)

• They finally started to improve the building after they hired twice the Sales reps (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

158 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Today was my last day after 2 years!

Former Employee - New Sales Representative  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - New Sales Representative in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main office is a fun environment with lots to do. Everyone dresses pretty casual and we're all basically the same age. These are all things every other review is saying, so let's move on....

Cons

Things have changed majorly since I first started! My last Glassdoor review was honest, but I still felt like it was a great place to work. I no longer feel this way and since I was robbed of an opportunity to speak to my directors' boss (yea, he didn't even say bye after 2 years of hitting my numbers...) here is what I would have said:

When top talent isn’t performing there’s usually more to it than lack of focus. It’s really unfortunate that upper management does not take the time to continuously develop their top talent, aside from consistently throwing metrics in their face and calling it “motivation”. Any top performer is always conscious of their numbers so during a dry-spell support from your superiors would go a long way and show that they’re committed to their employees’ growth. More recently it has been all about numbers and metrics at Vocus, which has been fostering shady behavior. Everyone knows what’s happening, and it’s clear that management is looking the other way because all that matters is revenue. This is discouraging to anyone who doesn’t want to succeed that way.

I was not performing because I won’t cheat a co-worker out of an opportunity and I won’t lie about services we provide. I do not believe in what we're selling anymore, and I don't trust that there's anything being done to support my role. Why are we not ranking on search engines for any marketing keywords (i.e. online marketing, online marketing platform, marketing automation, etc.), but we are for PR terms (i.e. free press releases, news monitoring, etc.)? Why do the majority of our D2R leads have no idea they signed up for a demo? Why are there no recent case studies for VMS? Why is Vocus the only company that still requests an upfront payment for an Enterprise solution? These are questions I’ve had for over a year and since they still haven’t been addressed I can only assume it’s not a priority. My prospects have very similar questions (if not the exact same ones) and I can no longer dance around the truth.

I am not some bitter employee who was fired and wants to bash Vocus; I left on my own terms after a few months of being unhappy. I am so thankful for the skills I learned at Vocus; selling a dream and asking for money up front isn’t easy. If you don't mind bending the truth and sneaking behind coworkers backs to be successful then Vocus is a great place for you!

Listen to your employees!!! You all are so far removed from the sales floor and what real customers are saying that you don't get how we struggle. It's not just in new sales, it's account executives and the marketing department as well. We're all saying the same things over and over and over again, but you only seem to care about revenue. No one wins when our backend and front-end aren't on the same page. You will continue to lose top performers if you don't talk to them and fix the things that have been wrong for years.

work hard, get fired

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

free coffee, fun employees, basketball court,

Cons

getting fired it not a matter of if, but when. below average product

I gave you 3 years, you gave little respect

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues to be around and work with and great direct managers that fought for me and were great leaders(but not top management)! Fun office and good benefits.

Cons

WAY to many changes and at the expense of the employees. Constant stress and fear of losing your job. Rude and almost disrespectful to you once you leave the company even after you gave them the utmost respect and hard work for several years.

Take a step back from all of this building and changes and growth and look at your employees. They aren't happy! All of this growth and changes have been at their expense for over 2 years now, and they are the bases of your entire company and brand... Value those employees who have stood by you and do something to reward them because they are the only reason things are not completely falling apart.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always changing; sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but never satisfied.

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with taking time off if you're doing well. Nice facilities and perks like free fruit and candy.

Cons

Vocus has changed from a PR only software to a PR and marketing software solution. This hasn't been an easy change and there have been layoffs as high as 100 people for the sales department within a few short months. There was also a sales office in Manila which was completely dissolved; leaving dozens of people out of a job in the Philippines.

Vocus changes your pay structure every 6-12months, most recently lowering payout on commission for sales professionals. Tenure to be promoted changes every few months as well, which can be quite confusing and frustrating.

Bottom line is that the changes are a result of testing different ways to try and make more revenue, with layoffs as the repercussion of failed tests.

Workers are replaceable, but that doesn't make it ethical to hire dozens of sales professionals only to let them go months later due to failed tests.

Progressive Company

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Herndon, VA

I worked at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment and culture

Cons

Tough Product to Sell and bad leads

Lead qualification

Great work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team work emphasis, Managers care about making you better at sales, Co-workers are smart and young, great benefits package

Cons

Unattainable goals, Turn-over rate is insane

If you put the time in to train people, don't be so quick to let them go.

Hard Work Pays Off!

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Business Development in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are determined to succeed here, you will. Even better, Vocus is starting to compensate their employee better than they have in the past. Our base pay has gone up, and the restructuring of the sales dept. really sets us up for success now! Reps who have done well, are being promoted and are happy with all the changes.

Cons

Communication from upper management need to come down the chain faster. Sometimes I hear big company news from a sales rep before I do from the VP or Director. There is no internal communication regarding bad weather. This makes it really difficult when you live far from the office of what do to.

Over-communicate when it comes to new information. Don't delay on the execution of telling those that need to know.

Great Place for Smart Employees

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are willing to work hard. Employees are in control of their own success. People who do well are treated well. Their ideas get support and are put into action and that is a great feeling.

The product and services we provide customers is awesome. This is a great place to work if you have a great understanding of digital marketing and how it can impact business. Vocus helps customers get business, so folks who are passionate about helping clients do that thrive here.

The gym and food trucks are nice, but the real perk is the fact that employees can decide when to take a break or go to the gym based on what works for them. Manage your own schedule and work smarter, not necessarily harder. If you are performing well, you can decide how to work. Success is based on results.

Cons

A young workforce can be immature - when it comes to being professional. Avoid the rumor mill and don't let it affect your performance.
    If you aren't performing and need help, ask for it. The managers in place or top performers on the floor will help you. You have to perform and that is just part of doing your job. Some folks are not mature enough to ask questions and ruin the morale of the team.

The training program for sales and for managers across departments needs to be developed. I am sure - based on improvements with employee resources in the past year- that it will roll out this year.

Be transparent. Last minute announcements just make you lose credibility. Encourage communication across departments.

Awesome facility and awesome people to work for and with. I truly enjoy coming to work everyday and that's a blessing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vocus provides everything you need to produce quality outcomes in your job performance as well as in your life. The facility is equipped with a gym, cafe, spa, and some many benefits that foster the Work Hard and Play Hard mentality.

Cons

Flexibility can sometimes lead to unprofessionalism in just a few.

Open communication is key and keep doing what you are doing.

Challenging, Rewarding, Satisfying!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Vocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vocus has been extremely challenging to me professionally, but without that I wouldn't be where I am atoday. This isn't a place for someone who wants to skate by and not learn, contribute, and make a difference. We want hard working and talented professionals that can come in, make an impact and separate us from competitors. I have been with Vocus for 2 years and we have been through a lot of growth & change, but that's what comes with being employed with a progressive company and in a modern field. We are continuing to make a strong push into the digital marketing space where we will become cloud marketing leaders.

One of the best parts of working for Vocus in the lateral transparency. Every department works extremely well together and communicates on all levels. You just don't find that at all multi-million dollar companies.

And the amenities are a touch of Silicon Valley right here in Beltsville, MD!

Cons

To contradict myself, the growth and change. It's difficult to find a steady routine but that can be exciting. Our employees are adaptable and I truly believe we are on the right path in 2014.

We need to be communicating on the same level we do laterally. Town Hall meetings can be a bit fluffy. I would encourage our executives to hold quarterly department meetings and get togethers.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!