Vodafone New Zealand

Updated December 5, 2014
3.6

CEO

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly proactive people, great brand. If you get to work in the viaduct then it is a great location, and the building with the hotdesks and way of working is cool. The organisation is very flat and all the managers are approachable.

Cons

A lot of complexity to use the IT systems

Too much focus on brand and above the line marketing

Not bad, not great

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand

Pros

Fast paced, great folks, cool phones (free work one) lots of support and training which is ongoing

Cons

Long hours, systems go down, can be repetitive and is poorly paid with comission ( which You need to be in a busy store to make)
    Management is a boys club - you'll get far - if your a male. Otherwise forget it.

Change your management. Stop promoting who you like rather than the person who does the job best.

Baffling direction

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership definitely encouraged staff to have a customer focus. To do things the right thing, to be positive, and provide a good service.

Flexible working hours.

Good benefits including medical insurance, life insurance, and paid time off for work related study.

Cons

Customer focus direction from management felt like lip service when the business decisions made by management were always anti-customer.

Poor decisions by management, way behind where things should be technologically.

Too timid to shake things up. Would rather maintain the status quo in telecoms industry. Anything new was always because a competitor had done it first.

Generally not great HR management. Took literally months from deciding to make my team redundant to actually telling us. It was excruciating because we all knew it was coming, but they had to maintain the façade of consultation, after months of external consultant recommendations and working groups, etc.

Be competitive by doing something different. Don't just do the bare minimum in response to what others are already doing or Vodafone has done years earlier overseas.

Don't use the typical industry trick of making every plan slightly different to make it hard for customers to compare and get a good deal. So many times I've looked at the plans we were selling and thought "someone has put real effort into making sure each of these plans has a flaw, so if you want a complete service you need to buy more". Provide good value data. Stop trying to sneak prices up.

And finally, actually provide good customer service. I'm still a customer, but I dread every time I actually have to call 777 now. I *never* call for anything that I can use self service for, so when I call I need a human. It used to be wait times were under a minute. Now it's a miracle if they're less than 10 minutes, and are often up to 30! It's horrible. I don't want to be "called back" when I'm at the front of the queue. I'm calling at the time I can talk. Last time I needed help I had to call on 6 different occasions to reach a human in the time I had available for an issue that took 2 minutes to fix.

Changable, like the weather

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vodafone New Zealand full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People. Coming up with solutions with tools at hand, and sometimes new tools. High performing teams.
    Mobile device and plan. BWOW. Two Auckland offices.
    Subsidised Xmas Party.

Cons

Some managers. Some processes. Flogging continues until morale improves. Restructures cycle 18 months. No rem increase for three years. No car parking.
    Different leaders steering the boat with no clear direction.
    Not always using the technology available.

Ask good questions to the workers, and listen to the answers. We are usually customers too.

Awesome place.

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, hard working but fun culture. Excellent office environment, excellent location in Auckland. Great opportunities for development, particularly for those prepared to shift offshore.

Cons

Senior management sometimes more focused on internal competition rather than market competition (during the times when external competition was weak). Legacy technology starting to become a real issue for customers and staff alike.

Remember the customer, not in a theoretical way, but place the customer back at the centre of Vodafone's culture.

Not Pleasant

Current Employee - Head of Commercial in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Head of Commercial in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vodafone New Zealand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people around you are great and passionate about their job

Cons

Lack of strategy, always fighting fires and issues immediately in front of them

Clearly articulate commercial strategy, and explain in plain english.

Innovative on the outside - chaos on the inside

Former Employee - Head of Commercial in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Head of Commercial in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free phone, good location, good salary

Cons

Strategy not clearly defined and communicated, leadership is lacking, focused on defending revenue streams rather than market leadership (retaining their #1 spot), also focused on extracting more revenue from customers rather than adding value

Focus on market leadership and adding value - revenue will follow!

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vodafone New Zealand part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work, people are very easy to talk to, very motivational environment and plenty of room to move around the company if you are good at your job. Free phone, plan, health insurance, discounts on stuff.

Cons

Some IT systems look like they were chosen by a very high-level manager with no real connection to technology or to the customer. As a result segregated backend systems make things far more difficult than necessary. Some systems could have been replaced by free, and better open-source alternatives.

Work towards making things more simple and obvious for customers. Get different customer support teams to socialise more. Work towards having one frontline help desk rather than separating them.

One of the best companies in NZ to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vodafone New Zealand as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Professional employees, Matrix organisation, Friendly - welcoming people, Open office working style, Team spirit,...

Cons

Work load and tight delivery timelines, old laptops, no video / voice conferencing application on laptops

More employees needed, install an application on each laptop for video conferencing and conference calls. Change laptops to new ones

Good company to work in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Vodafone New Zealand as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location, Benefits, Co-workers, work life balance, Amazing environment

Cons

Mismanagement
    Limited Growth
    Limited exposure to new technologies