Vodafone Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.4

Vodafone CEO Vittorio A. Colao
Vittorio A. Colao

Pros
  • Great emphasis on diversity and work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Good hygiene factors - benefits and working environment (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance is a theoretical thing to be written down in annual reports (in 16 reviews)

• No work life balance, senior management doesn (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Regular rounds of redundancies and bullying/disinterested management makes working there unattractive.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good facilities and home working possibilities. A few good people left at the coal face make working there a bit more bearable.

Cons

Redundancies every 6 months so if you get past the end of March and end of sept then you're safe for another 6 months.
    Bullying management who are not aware of what their people actually do. They are driven by targets to get rid of people - never mind their performance.
    Regular knee jerk crises with little productive cross functional co-operative working due to everyone being 120% overloaded and lack of support from management.
    You are a very very small cog in a monstrous juggernaut.
    Basically not much fun to work there.

Do less better so you don't keep having to fire people.
    Incentivise your management to be more co-operative and less about losing staff and reducing costs.

Simply pathetic

Former Employee - Business Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Facilities are very good: office is nice, convenient location, working from home is made easy

Cons

A disaster, no common sense and no culture that drives the company further.
    All managers think about how to save their positions, be more powerful (even if not more useful or productive) and not be blamed about the constant problems that come up, i.e. always making sure there is someone else to blame. Oh and meet the objectives, at any cost: even the company's interests' cost.
    Ambitious and proactive employees are seen as a threat and therefore put in a corner. There is no team spirit whatsoever with the exception of some small peer collaboration that is often overwhelmed by managers.
    Everyone seems to be looking for a new job and I believe that the main reason why the majority hasn't left yet is that Vodafone pays well enough, so other companies have a hard time matching salaries.
    HR is a ghost: all HR related issues are to be resolved with your Line Manager, who normally is the cause of those problems - so very helpful!! the only HR contact employees have is an HR call centre. Awful.
    My first week impression of Vodafone was confirmed everyday I stayed there: there is a Huge pink elephant in the room and nobody wants to talk about it!
    Definitely the worst company I've ever worked for in my life.

Not sure it's worth to make any recommendation to management, since I'm sure they know what the problem is and I'm sure they don't have any intention to solve it, simply because their interest aren't aligned with those of the company and that's partially HR's fault.
    Advice to HR would be: talk to people. Don't say "I'm sorry you are leaving" because if you really were sorry, you would have had this conversation before I resigned and tried to solve the problem.

Vodafone America's - Time for a Change

I worked at Vodafone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large global wireless company with solid presence in Europe. Global sales salaries are good and international travel is a great perk. I found many good people who worked for the company that are still my friends today.

Cons

Introduction of a Global Product did not met it was global. Usually, it had a "limited roll-out" and we often asked customers to "take the journey with us". Sales credibility be would hurt when a product's "global availability" did not increase or the product went away. Even though it was a wireless company, some new products stood to undermine those revenues and thus had limited distribution and/or capabilities. However, sales was seldom told and had to find out the hard way as were told to "go sell these products."

The highly politically charged nature of the management team decimated the organization. Management promoted internal conflict as healthy and those in favor who treated co-workers with disdain were generally overlooked. The organization in a very short time transformed from a trusting, healthy, work life balanced, co-worker friendly workplace to one where distrust, lies and cronyism was rampant.

A severe shakeup of Vodafone America's management team is needed to restore trust in the organization.

Bad

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good brand, easy to engage with customer

Cons

Everything in UK, nothing in Asia

Invest more especially in HK and Singapore

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is no Pros I see here.

Cons

No growth, No recognition, Biased higher management, Revenge attitude of higher management.

Have unbiased environment.

Biased, sexist and clicky

Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor

I worked at Vodafone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only plus point about working for Vodafone is the discounts you get on your monthly phone line. There are no other benefits. Even the commision is set out as a team job,. You end up carrying the non performers and its the admin types that go far in this company. No recognition for top performers

Cons

clicky managment, long hours, low pay and the leadership will only promote you if you have big knockers or are chummy with the managers. Honestly if you have any self respect avoid this company like the plague and go with a compnany who appreciates hard work.

ditch the non performers, appreciate staff with a high work ethic and route out the managers sexually discrininating staff members because they cant go to bed with them and promote and train people who are performing

Worst employer ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Paddington office is brightly and recently decorated and easily accessible being next to bus stops and the Paddington overground and underground train stations.

Cons

There is a strong culture of bullying within all layers at Vodafone. The majority of people here are highly unprofessional, examples include: writing whole emails in capital letters (i.e. shouting via email!), undermining each other in meetings with numerous people present (no hesitation when doing this - employees seem to enjoy being rude to each other), senior management not turning up to meetings with no reasons being given, other individuals not turning up to meetings or being late (often queuing for a drink from the staff canteen), employees forwarding emails with comments that clearly weren't meant to be seen by a wider audience. I've flagged all of these examples with my own line manager and the response was 'it is what it is'.
    The Paddington office is always crammed on a Monday or any days where there are departmental meetings going on and you aren't always guaranteed a desk to sit at due to the 'hot desk' set up here.
    The Newbury office is in the middle of nowhere and if you have to use public transport the whole way, you have to time your underground train, overground train and Newbury bus perfectly for the journey to be bearable. Obviously being the HQ, I'd say don't work at Vodafone (even in a London based role, as you will have to travel more than they disclose at interview stage) if you can't get to Newbury easily. Definitely visit these offices in interview stage to get an idea of whether this journey is going to be bearable for you.
    There's a lack of team spirit within my own department, I'm sure this is due to the multiple site locations, hot desking and also individuals working from home i.e. you could potentially not see a close team member for a whole week even though you're both working full time.
    All in all, I've found Vodafone to be very unprofessional, very unwelcoming with a strong culture of bullying.

Address the culture at Vodafone if you want to attract and retain good people. Turn up to your own meetings. Act as an example to your teams - it is evident that all layers at Vodafone are learning the acceptable behaviour standards from the top layers.

Over-administrated, overblown technical dinosaur.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good brand name, fortunately the outside world doesn't know how poorly this company is run.

Cons

No training, company is too disjointed. Culture of passing the buck. Too many people playing big brother & muddying the waters rather than helping to clarify them. Management are useless & constantly misinterpret the "Vodafone Way" to administer their dictatorial methods. Company ethos is ignored constantly to find the quickest/cheapest fix. For a technology company they really struggle to grasp the concept of simplicity & use antiquated technologies. The administrative side of the company especially HR & IT support are woefully inept.

Your ideas are not always the best ones. Don't change everything constantly just for the sake of it. Stand up for your employees.

Not good nor bsd

Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria (Brazil)

I worked at Vodafone as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good if you are jobless

Cons

Low pay very low indeed

Nhgh

Avoid if you can

Former Employee - Project Manager in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- i met some great people at Vodafone, needless to say, they have mostly left the company after a couple of months, or after their first year.

Cons

- decisions based on politics vs rationale
    - no processes, policies, no structure, everything is a mess
    - the company does not invest in its people, very high fluctuation (30-50% in some cases)