Voice of America Reviews

Very Cool

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Voice of America as an intern

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and there is a great deal of people who you meet so it is good for networking with others. It is not an ABC or NBC but you do get valuable experience within production and reporting.

Cons

Not too many complaints. It is a big place so you can get lost but other than that no problems with them.

Internship review

Former Employee - Creative Services Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Creative Services Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Voice of America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employees are passionate and open to new ideas and suggestions, willing to learn new digital trends

Cons

At times there was no work for me to do, but that is expected at an internship

Create better relationships with interns who are not there daily in order to make them feel included

Difficult, but rewarding

I have been working at Voice of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is rewarding--you can make a difference in the lives of many.

Cons

Horribly run organization, underbudgeted, no respect on The Hill.

Listen to the employees, realize that many of those who depend on you can't access the web or TV and put more effort into radio. Don't allow VOA to be turned into a propaganda machine by the "fools on The Hill.".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

I worked at Voice of America as an intern

Pros

Great staff members
    Looks good on your resume

Cons

You don't get to do much

I was looking forward to experiencing more hands-on stuff, but I didn't really get to do anything. Often times I just sat there and did my homework. Even when I got to tag along when the staff members went for outside reporting, I was just there to wander around not knowing what to do.

Heavy bureaucratic organization, with some advantages.

Current Employee - VOA Contractor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - VOA Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Voice of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is amazingly diverse workplace, with pretty high ethical standards that ceased to exist in some mainstream media. It has a mission - in some language services, especially during crises in the country they broadcast to, people feel they are providing crucial, balanced information.

Cons

It's heavy, bureaucratic organization, where many people are busier with writing reports about work they've done than doing an actual work. It doesn't give an impression of competitive news organizations with inspired people. Editors and managers are so scared of constant calls for reforms, inspections and accusations of being ineffective that they spend most of the time trying to prove how effective they are and micro-managing. Lots of intrigues, hard to change anything (even signing in by hand instead of swiping employee magnet card) - "the union" blocks any attempt to do it.

You can't really attract bigger audience without being competitive - providing news faster than others (or at least not 2-4 hours later than others). If part of the VOA mission is to reflect the US administration views - VOA needs the administration officials, lawmakers to talk on the record. More often then not, they say no.

Provides multmedia opportunities but hobbled by permanent poor morale and mismanagement

Former Employee - News Correspondent  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - News Correspondent in Washington, DC

I worked at Voice of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a government agency that can still provide opportunities for those searching for work in print, broadcast, online media as well as a government paycheck, but it is in the midst of a major reorganization and probable downsizing.

Cons

Surviving in a work environment that can be hostile, and which can have negative impacts on
    later job searches in the private sector due to the organization's poor reputation as one of
    the worst places to work in the federal government. Working in the Washington headquarters can be quite depressing.

As others here have observed about this agency, upper management has been in many respects at war with the rank and file and is struggling to repair damage to morale from years of neglecting basic problems throughout the organization. It is hard to offer advice as such.

It is very educational and a good learning place so many different people to meet and work with

I worked at Voice of America as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

different types of nationalities so much to learn from and do

Cons

Management!!! Need better Management and more training for them

Need to work with people more and stop being political and have more management skills!!!

Good learning experience

I have been working at Voice of America as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn about basic TV production such as video editing, reporting, booking a studio, etc.

Cons

No career growth. Good work experience for fresh college grads who want to get into the international broadcasting industry, but don't stay too long.

Intern

I worked at Voice of America as an intern

Pros

Good work environment, good supervisors, and very flexible schedule.Have a lot of chances to know new people and participate events.

Cons

The internship itself was not that relevant to my major and most of the time, I didn't find the work was challenging for me.

Internship experience

I worked at Voice of America

Pros

A lot of possibilities to learn
    A good entry level position

Cons

Bureaucracy that does not make your work more productive or faster. Time consuming rules and regulations

Worked for Voice of America? Contribute to the Community!