Volacci Reviews

Reset
2.8
Volacci CEO Ben Finklea
Ben Finklea

This is not for the weak of heart....

I worked at Volacci full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a place to learn, this is it. If you want to work for a company where you really make a difference, this is it. Be willing to work your ass off -- you're not going to have time to surf Facebook or Youtube all day: this is a real job. There is no sitting in a corner and doing those few things that get assigned to you. If you want to be "just an employee" go somewhere else. You will be challenged and stressed but when you are done, you will have a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

CEO is a great guy, decent human being. However he struggles with interpersonal skills. He can be very demanding and curt - coming off as rude. But then he can turn around and be very generous. He also does not seem to pick up on normal social cues. Below-average wages. The CEO gave us a book for required reading -- I wish he would read this part again: "If I hire an employee at below-market rate, market forces dictate that I'm not going to keep that person forever, and replacement will be more costly in the long run than hiring that employee at the market rate. A high turnover rate is very, very expensive. It also makes it hard to create consistency in the workplace, which can lower productivity, service quality, and customer satisfaction (this is also expensive)."

Advice to Management

Leadership is a lot more than just giving orders and being "king of the castle". You must be able to garner trust and give trust in return. Once trust is lost, it's difficult to rebuild.

A roller-coaster ride! That's putting it nicely.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volacci full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on a variety of projects.

Cons

The variety of projects mentioned are the result of strategic leadership that changes regularly. The CEO will tell you one thing one day then something totally different the next. And will chastise you for not doing it. He will constantly belittle you in private and in front of the entire staff. No matter what is promised, it is not worth it and they won't be able to deliver.

Advice to Management

CEO - get into a business where you don't have to interface with employees

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

We have undergone a huge change in our industry and business in the last 2 years. It has been stressful and difficult, to say that least. I agree with you that it's been a roller coaster and that I'm ... More

I really enjoy working at Volacci and feel that I am learning something new every day.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volacci full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• small working environment • learning something new almost every day • easy to communicate with other members • schedule (work from home Tues/Thurs)

Cons

• small working environment • pay (as of now)

Advice to Management

Be more clear on instructions or how you want something done. Although it is ok to assume that an employee should be able to get something done when asked, do not always assume they fully understand what you really want.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback. I've been thinking about your comment about not assuming that an employee fully understands what their boss want. I agree with your statement and will try to ... More

Great growth opportunity

I have been working at Volacci full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, lots of opportunity to try new things (creative aspects of marketing, technical/SEO, relationship management, etc), work from home two days a week. The work/life balance is overall fantastic, and the team at Volacci is full of energetic people who want to do their jobs well and have fun in the process. Additionally, because the company is small and is in a new industry, you can set your own career path. Management is open to this, and encourages people who want to learn new skills to do so and grow into new roles.

Cons

It isn't for everyone. The company is a startup in an industry that's going through a lot of turmoil as Google changes the way things are done constantly. If you want a cushy, no-stress job with a clearly defined career path, this is not the company for you. Additionally, the nature of working as part of a small staff in a stressful industry means that if two people have a conflict, there aren't many other individuals to act as buffers between the two while heads cool down. There are strong personalities at this company, but those strong personalities get things done, and if you're willing to learn from them you'll grow a lot and toughen up your hide, too.

Advice to Management

Focus on adapting and growing. There have been a lot of shake-ups in the industry and in the company. Primary focus should be on finding a cohesive, long-term strategy that will withstand more industry changes. Secondary focus should be on rebuilding staff and bringing in management to help encourage and mediate the team.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your post and advice. There have certainly been a lot of change in the industry and here at Volacci. Thanks for sticking with us through this transition and being part of our team. I ... More

Volacci is a place to foster a basic understanding of marketing, but lacks any vision or future.

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Volacci full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home two days per week, free breakfast tacos on Fridays, a great place to start a career and learn a few things.

Cons

Executive is disrespectful and condescending one day, happy and cheerful the next. You never know what you're going to get. Every single employee is micromanaged, regardless of tenure and ability. Poor and whimsical financial decisions have led to layoffs, stress, debt and client turnover. These things and these things alone have resulted in quick employee turnover and no company growth.

Advice to Management

Learn to give up control to the people who truly care about the company. I was ready and willing to stick around and drive growth and revenue for the company, but did not have the trust, creative freedom and respect to get it done. I found a place that gave me that chance. So I left.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I agree that Volacci is a great place to start out and learn new skills. We purposefully look for people who are just starting their digital marketing careers and are eager ... More

Wow

Former Employee - IMC in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IMC in Austin, TX

I worked at Volacci full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The view out the window was nice for a while. Working hear makes you reevaluate where you want to be in life and how important leadership is at a small company.

Cons

It's amazing how when a few people write a bad review the same number of good reviews pop up. That's more reviews for this "small company" than most companies 10 times their size have. Looks bogus to me.

Advice to Management

Just stop pretending and own it.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

Yes, you are right. There are far more reviewers here than we have had employees and it is pretty suspicious. Not only that, the reviews come in waves which leads me to believe that there is probably ... More

Constant turnover, incompetent management.

I worked at Volacci full-time

Pros

Free lunch for modest appetites. Got to work with some genuinely talented and interesting people. Did I mention free lunches?

Cons

Where to begin? If you are considering taking a position at Volacci, do yourself a favor and ask them about turnover rate for the last 5 years. They probably won't know, but ask them how many people in the picture above still work there. There have probably been 20 people hired over that the last 5 years and only 1 of them is still around. They will likely blame employees but the team I was able to work with was great: smart, funny, quick learners who all went on to much, much better things after they left. At some point you have to wonder what else is at play. A pattern you will notice with these reviews is that the good reviews happen around a year or less in. I wonder how many of these people would go back and change their reviews today? I wonder if writing a good review on here is the newest "process" that new hires have to go through. Basically, there is a honeymoon period, and after that people begin to see just how messed up everything is at Volacci. Maybe one day the CEO come in and decides to rashly reverse strategy overnight or cut staff in half, etc. It's all happened before in a similarly manic fashion. I haven't worked there in a while, but it seems like little has changed. In fact, financially it seems a lot worse. Expect turbulence and the management grasping for straws because they don't have a clue. I was shocked to find out that the company didn't have a budget for much of the time I worked there.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming other people. You can never build a healthy successful business when you are the only one who gets anything out of it.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the response. One comment sticks out in my mind: "...all went on to much, much better things..." You nailed our hiring strategy exactly. We pay average or even below-average salaries ... More

Don't waste your time. I'd be surprised if the company is still around in a year.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volacci full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home 2 days a week... and that's about it. There were some really great people who did/do work for this company. However most of them have left as a result of poor management and little opportunity for the future.

Cons

CEO with virtually no social skills and very little respect for employees. The bible-thumping culture is inappropriate for an Austin-based startup, especially when those values are in direct contrast with the way management treats it's employees. There's a reason everyone left the company.

Advice to Management

Don't alienate your employees. Have some respect for the people you employ. When management makes mistakes, they need to take some accountability.

Mar 2, 2014 – CEO

I notice you gave 5 stars for work/life balance. Thank you for being honest in your review. I'm sorry for not showing you the respect that you deserve and for not being socially aware of your needs ... More

Always something new going on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Volacci is like a family. I enjoy working there and look forward to arriving to work each day. A strong Operations team allows us the flexibility to explore new opportunities in the market. People are genuinely kind and interested in me as a person, not just as an employee. We're growing. It's an interesting industry with huge upside. The skills I've learned can go with me anywhere. Everyone seems to genuinely enjoy their job and want to be there. Work at home 2 days per week. Very supportive of personal time and needs. Flexible vacation schedules. Management is responsive to team ideas. A new focus on "ideal" clients has meant more interesting projects and less customer turnover.

Cons

Understaffed. We lost 2 people and didn't replace them. There is too much work to do. Benefits were cut recently after a tough 2011. I understand but it's still frustrating.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get our 401k back up and hire a couple of people. Keep moving us in the right direction as you have in the last 6 months and things will get better.

Overall excellent!

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Austin, TX

Pros

In my time at Volacci I have found many reasons why I think it is a great place to work. To start with we have a solid, committed team of professionals who are passionate about what they do. There is a good balance between professional and social in the office. It seems like each of us feeds off of the energy and the enthusiasm of the rest of the team. My experience is that each member of this team is eager to help and support one another. There are also many ways that the leadership provides opportunities for me to grow and advance. The ideas I bring up in our meetings are well received and I am empowered to turn these ideas into reality, within the structure of our available resources. We also have a research day that allows each one of us to look into things that we are interested in that we think might add value to our processes. I also have been provided with a full sales program to interact with and to help with the development of my skills in my particular area within the company. We have a fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and food, drinks, and a wide coffee selection to make our own favorite each day. I have been provided with 3 different options on the health care package I would like to participate in. Time off requests have been granted without question and I am encouraged to take time off to enjoy my family and personal life. I interact regularly with the upper management and have found each of them to be open and receptive to ideas and I have personally felt supported and cared about as a person and as a professional. I have nothing but positive things to say about Volacci and am truly thankful for the opportunity to be part of this team. I think if it could be done any better we would whatever it took to make it a reality. This is an honest, open, hard working, professional, organized, and excellent team to work with and be apart of.

Cons

There are no perfect places to work. We are growing quickly and this requires a certain amount of flexibility. We have added and will continue to add new staff and this means adjusting and adopting to the new members of the team. I would say the biggest negative is the growth pains we are experiencing.

Advice to Management

Continue to implement the types of policies that have help address some of the concerns of the staff in the past. Remain open to the feedback, both good and bad, from the team and adjust as needed to the new information.

RSS Feed </> Embed