Volcano Corporation
www.volcanocorp.com San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Volcano Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014
Volcano Corporation – San Diego – “Volcano Corporation Corporate Offices”

Volcano Corporation President, CEO, and Director R. Scott Huennekens

R. Scott Huennekens

Great People, Poor Resource/Project Management

Software Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I worked with are amazing people. We like to joke around and still have lunch with each other even though I'm gone. These guys brightened my work day.

ConsProjects are always under resourced.
Management does not acknowledge merit.
Only seniors and managers get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and the company will boom. With the low and declining morale company wide, only time will tell how long this company will stay afloat.

Product Manager

Associate Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, lots of opportunity, always challenging, forward thinking company

ConsCut throat, not compensated for performance, too much variability in management styles

Not a bad company, but has problems

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery nice group of people, good work environment, generally a good place to work.

Generally a good group of employees. Better than average in my opinion. Seems that the hiring screen is better than average.

ConsI can only speak of the software development effort. Big problems here

(Overly?)Ambitious product concept.

Delivery (really, really) long overdue.

The comments here from software engineers suggest that the management interference is the source of all the problems. Sorry guys, if the project were delivered more or less on time and met expectations, management wouldn't feel so inclined to interfere. Basically, the software development team has failed to deliver and the company has suffered accordingly.

Advice to Senior Managementa) recognize that the software development team has failed to deliver.
b) revisit all original assumptions - project scope, development practices, etc, etc.
c) be willing to re-assign responsibilities to different people.
d) actually, be willing to assign responsibilities. Most code doesn't have a copyright nor programmers name. It's unclear who's responsible for what, etc. etc. Basically business management 101 - blocking and tackling.

Management is trying to do this, but they're two high level so their sort of flailing away. If they keep it up they might get lucky though - or maybe not.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Software Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsI managed to find another job and leave!

ConsI dont even know where to begin. Management are idiots who do not listen to reason or suggestions. They expect people to abandon their lives outside of work and give 20+ hours a week of extra work for no pay and when the project is still late you are blamed and made feel like we need to work harder.

The project I worked on was already 2 years late and they made everyday feel like we were going to be releasing it the next day. PANIC PANIC PANIC. It was unstructured chaos which should not be the case for a medical device company. Their logic is more focused on having meetings about meetings about meetings where nobody decides anything and you end up wasting most of your week in them. They ask you to sacrifice your lunch for a meeting and only provide a sandwich and a bag of chips. Do not think for a second you will get the hour off at the end of the day. If you complain about anything or make a valid point you are made to feel you are the only person who feels this way by the management even though most people you speak to agree.

As for management they will fight you every step of the way no matter how wrong they are on a topic. They use the length of time they have been there as some sort of top trump card that means you are wrong in every way and they are right. While there I have never gone to so many going away parties. So many people left and even up until today I hear of more people leaving regularly. Those who leave congratulations on getting out. Those who stay you are in my thoughts and I feel deeply sorry for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone from middle and upper management up to and including yourselves and hire decent respectable people that treat their employees with the respect they deserve. Yearly raises, actual comp time/overtime for extra hours, Cash bonuses for hard work instead of those stupid Volcano stuffed lions with capes (what have they got to do with IVUS anyway?)

TREAT PEOPLE LIKE PEOPLE AND NOT LIKE SLAVES. You have great employees. Do not wait until it is too late and the best of them have left.

Dysfunction Galore - surprising it has not imploded

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Volcano Corporation as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsStaff committed to helping patients, designing new products. Fellow workers are good folks. Cannot say same for upper management.

ConsHeavy need to maintain and test an overly integrated equipment base using a small staff of engineers that actually know how it all works.

Staff has been running an ultramarathon at a sprint, for the last few years. Relentless Execution is current cultural slogan - sounds like a Death March.

There is a belief the progress is slow on development due to the Product Development Process used. But t seems to be micro-management churn created by upper management and isn't the process at all. It creates a bad work environment since the staff gets blamed for the lack of progress.

Average pay.

Little upward mobility unless you are a YES man.

Silo city! Lots of politics!

Upsizing some locations and downsizing other locations. Read the reviews and you can figure out which are being downsized.

Little respect for the staff.

Management seems to think they know how to do the work they have no expertise or skills in. Usually micro-management by Powerpoint.

No in-house on-site education/training program for engineering skills. Skills are learned outside, and not within. Management hire for problem solvers and wonder why it is hard to develop things, since the hires have no real skills.

Most of the dysfunction can be traced to lack of trust of the staff by the management, and not willing to hear anything but YES.

CEO seems okay. Can't say same about COO.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep out of the projects and empower/trust/respect your staff to do them right. Trust their schedules and budgets, not your wishful thinking. Get rid of this year's slogan - "Relentless Execution" - it sounds like a Death March.

Yikes!

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing products that are revolutionary and save people's lives!

ConsLack of process and the process that exists is bad. Run like a startup that is no longer a startup that waited too long to implement strong process. Because of the lack of process none one is held accountable for their actions. And because of bad process and lack of accountability, the people outside of management are blamed. Lastly, the company lacks leadership. True leaders encourage growth, collaboration, and ideas for improvement. At Volcano, there are a lot of managers, but few leaders. Don't take my word for it the reviews are mostly the same for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment of knowledge sharing and process improvement that will set the company up for success today and in the future.

Share the profits with all employees, only giving bonuses to the high income earners when you turn a tremendous profit every year is just bad business and bad for employee morale.

Great experience

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe senior management is very open and accessible. The culture is fun with a young active vibe. I feel like what I do makes a difference in the companies success. In general I feel valued as an employee. Great flexibility for work life balance.

ConsAs the company is growing there is a a lot of change and constant re-org. Lots of layoffs recently especially in non San Diego locations are bad for morale.

Over worked, Unrealistic goals, Mistreatment of employees, Mismanaged from top to middle tiers,

Research and Development Department (Former Employee)

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are helping people in need of this technology but at the cost of an extremely stressful work environment.
Another positive is the fact they are moving operations in the next few years so you wont have a job.

Cons- No bonuses
- No pay raises due to cost savings even though the company is making huge profits.
- Appreciation of employees is shown by giving you a bean bag lion with a volcano cape on it.
- Workload is unmanageable in 40 hours per week. Most work 50-60 hours a week or more.
- Unrealistic deadlines and belittlement of employees who do not meet these goals.
- Quarterly meetings consist of listening to the upper management talk about their recent vacations and how much profit the company made but no talks of raises.
- If you ask for vacation time expect to be made very guilty for asking for it.
- Approx 10 hours a week is spent in meeting that have no bearing for you and most other people there thus hindering your work ability.
- Everything is a panic and a rush as no planning to fix the broken process is ever made but "we are constantly working on it, but we just don't have the time right now to implement it" attitude is everywhere.
- Raise a general concern and you are shot down almost immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons and act on them. I am one of many people who will never work there again.

Not a long term engagement.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time

Pros- Despite being severely understaffed, QA dept. works hard and upholds overall positive attitude under high pressure and stringent requirements
- Interesting technology
- Lots of work to go around and more often than not you will find yourself thrown in the deep end to learn quickly
- Compensation is acceptable

Cons- No clear display of employee appreciation; annual raise caps at 2% for "high performers" & promotional raises are nothing to shout about. Definitely room for improvement considering growth of company (where does the profit go?).
- Lots of flattering words to temporarily appease employee dissatisfaction, but no action
- Movement of manufacturing to Costa Rica caused low employee morale
- Few opportunities to move within the organization
- Management needs to better understand work and set realistic expectations for understaffed departments

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your #1 asset. Treat them that way and you will reap the rewards. Listen to your people, take the time to understand the work they are doing, and realize that tasks are not as easy as they seem when you are discussing them at a higher level.

My experience has been fulfilling.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation

ProsPeople have a great sense of humor. Solid vision to impact patients worldwide. Many opportunities to the stronger performers. Financially sound and strong.

ConsThe Company is working towards building infrastructure and alignment throughout the organization. This is counterintuitive to the "autonomy" Volcano claims for its different sites. Working through a lot of transition and change.

Worked for Volcano Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volcano Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volcano Corporation CEO R. Scott Huennekens. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Volcano Corporation employees.