Volcano Corporation Reviews

64 reviews filtered by
2.9
Volcano Corporation President, CEO, and Director R. Scott Huennekens
R. Scott Huennekens

Pros
  • There are still a few good people left (in 6 reviews)

• Great technology, great people - some of the best (until they leave or get fired) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is moving its manufacturing to Costa Rica, therefore eliminating my position (in 6 reviews)

• But t seems to be micro-management churn created by upper management and isn't the process at all (in 6 reviews)

1. Fascinating technology - Clueless leadership

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing, life-saving technology. Dedicated and skilled engineers and factory personnel. Super-low turnover among Ranco Cordova skilled assembly staff.

Cons

Too many of the good employees left or got fired. Too many poor decisions by executives, who were then rewarded with exorbitant bonuses.

Advice to Management

Hopefully Phillips will remove the Volcano executive "bubble" and establish a leadership team that actually notices when the best and brightest leave or get fired

2. One of the best run companies I have worked for. Very positive experience. Cohesive executive leadership team.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation

Pros

CEO mantra is Go! Go! Go! He is consistent with his messaging and communication to the company.

Cons

Limited opportunities for movement within the Finance department due to size of group and organization.

No employee appreciation.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation

Pros

Good work life balance overall.
    Great group of people to work with, day-day.

Cons

Terrible pay. Poor leadership. No opportunity for advancing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people. They are your greatest asset.

Noble mission and talented team, but plenty of challenges and not enough resources to overcome them.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From the top down, the employees here are really talented, nice, hard-working, and care about the company's success. Everyone seems committed to the company's goal of helping patients live better lives.

Cons

Working here leaves me with more questions than answers about how senior management is running the company. If we are making almost 400 million dollars each year, we should have enough money to do things right like competitive compensation, training opportunities, or more career growth. The promotion process is mysterious. I wish the rewards would match the efforts and care given.

6. Salesforce.com Consulting partnership.

I worked at Volcano Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to work with. accommodating. They pay on time.

Cons

Varying levels of user adoption.

7. Lots of learning opportunity and committed to improving the quality of life saving technology.

Former Employee - Senior Automatiion Technician in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Automatiion Technician in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation

Pros

Proud to be a part of life changing technology that helps people in life threatening illnesses.

Cons

As the company expands globally, they continues to thrive with their personnel talent and versatility but unfortunately expansions sometimes affects other people's livelyhood.

Advice to Management

"I've only work here as contract worker for almost 2yrs. but I love the people I work with and a great place to work for 'coz you yourself represent the image and quality of your product. I'm proud to be part of this company even only for a short period of time."

8. Good company about to become even better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Volcano is about to be acquired by one of the leading companies in the medical device field. This should speed up many of the improvements Volcano management was already in the process of making with respect to business processes, systems, collaboration, and infrastructure.

Cons

The company has been struggling to transition out of a rapid start-up and entrepreneurial mind-set. Many of the processes, applications, etc. were more appropriate for a much smaller medical device company, not one like Volcano with over 2000 employees located across the globe. Management chronically underinvested in systems, tools and infrastructure which would allow them to take the company to the next level.

Advice to Management

The agreement to be acquired by a large medical device company with a great reputation was the smart move. Ultimately this should result in increased market penetration for Volcano's excellent cardiology and peripheral product portfolio into more hospital sites world-wide, and improve the working conditions of the employees who survive the shakeout following the acquisition.

9. place to work

I have been working at Volcano Corporation

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

people and potential not matched

10. Good company, great products. Fun place to work with energetic group of people.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has growing pains like all mid-size companies. But, all things considered, it's a solid team who strive to improve the lives of patients.

Cons

Workloads can be intense, as resources are tight. Difficulty in prioritizing projects over the long term. Lots of juggling required to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and evolving as we transition from a small company to a big company.

11. Great products! Good people.

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, reasonable salary, and great teammates!

Cons

Not enough room for professional growth and salary comparable to the market.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of the reps out in the field with established relationships.

Volcano Corporation Photos