Volcano Corporation

Volcano Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Volcano Corporation President, CEO, and Director R. Scott Huennekens

R. Scott Huennekens

Good people, poor incentives.

ProsPeople are fun and enjoyable to work with. Time off is comparable with most other companies. Fun events outside of work.

ConsGood changes happen slowly, and bad changes happen quickly. There really is no employee incentive program. Awards typically go to groups of people who are just doing their jobs, not going above and beyond.

Volcano

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosup and coming company with a lot of potential

ConsCurrently going through some growing pains

Great for cutting-edge engineering and medicine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVolcano covers many aspects of their products: design, manufacturing, sales, etc. so any talented professional will have a role to play. Technology is amazing, sophisticated, and is key to saving lives.

ConsEngineering is an eight-hour drive north of the HQ. Another design team is out east. Software team seemed too eager to apply all the big-time methodologies and best practices, to the point of decreasing their productivity. (But this is not my area of professional expertise, and things may have changed.)

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the company was a very nice place to work. Good support from colleagues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe team at Volcano is the most highly educated and intelligent I have ever worked with. The company culture is dynamic, and fast paced. But, there is also a family atmosphere. Teamwork at Volcano is key to success.

ConsSometimes it's really too busy :)

Advice to Senior ManagementWe really need more support personnel, like Admins.

Product Manager

Associate Product Manager (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsGreat people, lots of opportunity, always challenging, forward thinking company

ConsCut throat, not compensated for performance, too much variability in management styles

Great experience

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe senior management is very open and accessible. The culture is fun with a young active vibe. I feel like what I do makes a difference in the companies success. In general I feel valued as an employee. Great flexibility for work life balance.

ConsAs the company is growing there is a a lot of change and constant re-org. Lots of layoffs recently especially in non San Diego locations are bad for morale.

My experience has been fulfilling.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPeople have a great sense of humor. Solid vision to impact patients worldwide. Many opportunities to the stronger performers. Financially sound and strong.

ConsThe Company is working towards building infrastructure and alignment throughout the organization. This is counterintuitive to the "autonomy" Volcano claims for its different sites. Working through a lot of transition and change.

Mid-size company with local feel

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsMedical device development and well funded

ConsGrowing by more by acqusition than market share

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and good company

ConsBad communication, company can't keep up with changes

Uneven Experience: Fast-Paced yet Poor Execution

Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsVolcano work environment was energetic and fast paced.
    Strong and aggressive sales & marketing organization consistently grew revenue.

ConsGrowth opportunities depended on which product you worked.
    Volcano had poor track record of commercializing acquired technologies in part because of under-resourcing product development teams.
    Many middle managers added little value to Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementModerate increased staffing levels of product development teams would lead to more commercialization wins. Improved training of middle management would lead to higher retention and better engaged workforce.

Worked for Volcano Corporation? Contribute to the Community!