Volcano Corporation Reviews

Reset
2.8
Volcano Corporation President, CEO, and Director R. Scott Huennekens
R. Scott Huennekens

Pros
  • There are still a few good people left (in 6 reviews)

• Great technology, great people - some of the best (until they leave or get fired) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad investment in expansion to Costa Rica (in 6 reviews)

• But t seems to be micro-management churn created by upper management and isn't the process at all (in 6 reviews)

1. Former Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coyol (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coyol (Mexico)

I worked at Volcano Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Great products with State of the Art Technology embeded on them, Awesome working environment at my location.

Cons

Corporate seemed not to be handling realistic numbers on business growth back then. Also, sometimes some C-suite executives just wanted to hear what they wanted and not what they needed to.

Advice to Management

There's lot of potential with this site and the local employees. The Co. that recently acquired VOLC should acknowledge that, trust on it and unleash talent. This is a grest place to keep growing.

2. great company-small and at home size

Current Employee - Accountant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Volcano Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

very at home small size, change to learn wide range of job responsibilites

Cons

go go go and fast paced need to be fast learner and fast to catch up

Advice to Management

more training opportunity for outside US will be nice

3. is a good company but need a real leadership

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Alajuela (Costa Rica)
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Alajuela (Costa Rica)

I worked at Volcano Corporation

Pros

there´s a leader in health tecnology, with a good plant and products, the mission of the company is great.

Cons

The high administration hasn´t a real vision of the business and they had a very weak control enviroment, they haven't real education regarding internal controls

Advice to Management

Now they had been belong to Phillips, I hope they can give a real route and explote their potencial to 100%

5. Some Nice People but the Management Promotes Their Buddies That Aren

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

There was a nice work balance for the most part and at first. Not much more to say, although I did meet some good people here (that are looking for other positions). I really liked the CEO- he was very outgoing and personable and it wasn't uncommon to chat with him on a regular basis. He was very involved.

Cons

Benefits were good at first, but then in 2015 their benefits turned HORRIBLE, offering only very expensive health plans with huge out of pocket expenses. The office is very "clique-y" like high school and you will notice that many people you "report" to are nothing more than the manager's buddy (even when it comes to not even having a degree but doing clinical engineering work). Salaries are soooo low compared to rival companies. I left and found almost the exact same job but made an extra $30k a year just by switching companies (and that isn't an exaggeration either). Maybe a good place to start but not to stay. Also- overall there is very little feeling of being part of a "team." If a project you're working on is a success, upper management takes credit, gives very little recognition to those below, but if it is a failure, their idea of accountability is to blame whoever they can try and pin it on. Personal accountability is important but there is a lot of pointing fingers going on in their engineering/ coronary/ peripheral group. Upper management actually seems to know about leading, but their supervisors below them absolutely do not- My supervisor was one of the clique people and from day one, I felt uncomfortable even going to ask a question. Also, based on their "advancement criteria" they make it very hard to move up the ladder, so to speak. You will most likely go from level I, II and maybe III if they like you, but senior and princ levels are hired outside.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is actually qualified for their "promotions" and end the clique-y and high school vibe that is spreading.

6. Great people and interesting work.

I worked at Volcano Corporation

Pros

The work was interesting and the people were great. I enjoyed working there because there was a group of people devoted to doing their best to spite awful leadership and dismal prospects of future employment.

Cons

The management was horrible, profits>people, deadlines>quality. Their focus was on stock price and not on quality or new development.

7. Fascinating technology - Clueless leadership

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing, life-saving technology. Dedicated and skilled engineers and factory personnel. Super-low turnover among Ranco Cordova skilled assembly staff.

Cons

Too many of the good employees left or got fired. Too many poor decisions by executives, who were then rewarded with exorbitant bonuses.

Advice to Management

Hopefully Phillips will remove the Volcano executive "bubble" and establish a leadership team that actually notices when the best and brightest leave or get fired

8. One of the best run companies I have worked for. Very positive experience. Cohesive executive leadership team.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation

Pros

CEO mantra is Go! Go! Go! He is consistent with his messaging and communication to the company.

Cons

Limited opportunities for movement within the Finance department due to size of group and organization.

No employee appreciation.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation

Pros

Good work life balance overall. Great group of people to work with, day-day.

Cons

Terrible pay. Poor leadership. No opportunity for advancing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people. They are your greatest asset.

10. Wonderfull colleagues! Good values

I have been working at Volcano Corporation

Pros

I'm working with wonderfull colleagues. There is a nice working atmosphere. You have flexible hours as long as the job is done (but this depends of your manager)

Cons

Due to the acquisition with Philips there is currently a lot of uncertainty.

Noble mission and talented team, but plenty of challenges and not enough resources to overcome them.

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From the top down, the employees here are really talented, nice, hard-working, and care about the company's success. Everyone seems committed to the company's goal of helping patients live better lives.

Cons

Working here leaves me with more questions than answers about how senior management is running the company. If we are making almost 400 million dollars each year, we should have enough money to do things right like competitive compensation, training opportunities, or more career growth. The promotion process is mysterious. I wish the rewards would match the efforts and care given.

RSS Feed </> Embed