Volex

Add Photos

Ray Walsh

Wonderful place to work.

Global Commodity Team (Former Employee) Hickory, NC

ProsThey were very easy to work for they were always supportive in everyway.

ConsCan not think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Ready, Steady, Go!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Good market opportunities to grow company
    - Multiple top notch customers with unbelievable patience
    - Many employees with long tenure

Cons- Senior management team in London that does not have a proper level of understanding the business or the market, leading to misguided and unfortunate pursuits, actions and outcomes
    - Really need to improve morale and strengthen management in the Asian factories
    - Poor product quality and manufacturing processes
    - Blaming Customers for Company's own internal issues and re-writing history
    - "The story" always taking precedence over fixing the real issues
    - Lack of investment in key fixes and constant cutting and "re-alignment" of budget items including people's pay, delaying promotions and not giving rises or bonuses whilst providing for other lesser important things financially
    - Best talent exodus

Advice to Senior ManagementGo interview the customers and then re-engineer the management team, bring back good executive leadership and not fritter away what opportunities remain for this 130+ year old company. It is not yet too late though drawing nearer.

Small company, small minds

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hickory, NC

ProsSmall company, very dynamic, open to initiatives, re-building and re-branding itself, constantly changing, strong sourcing and presence in exploding business areas.

ConsSmall company mindset, short-term focus, management with no people-oriented leadership, unsustainable demand on scarce resources, legacy IT systems and processes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Volex, a shrinking organization in the USA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hickory, NC

ProsPeople in Hickory were helpful and friendly, The insurance coverage became effective immediately and provided good coverage with reasonable premium costs.

ConsOpen office enviroment with short cubicles. No privacy to talk unless you go to a conference room. BPCS mrp system is a dinosaur to deal with. Jobs have been moved out of the US from the Hickory office to Europe and Mexico.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to do more with less people. The quallity of the work has decreased and more production problems are created.

Great exposure

Manager (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood work life balance, great exposure and career progression.

ConsHR policies and benefits not reviewed since years ago, salary no longer follow market rate, Global HR presence but they have not look into individual company policies and benefits, everyone is too busy with their tasks and never have much time to build better relationship. Promotions always being delayed and only happens once a year, not fair to performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously look into retain talents before they leave the company, communication from the management to the floor needs to be improve greatly. No action been done after suggestion/feedback made.

Great working inter-dept relationships in Singapore Office!

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsSalary Remuneration is fair. Collaborations with inter-dept can be friendly, if you play the cards right. Timeline on tasks given is reasonable.

ConsTop management is shaky, but has since been entirely replaced. Business is currently facing challenges with share price tumbling. I expect forthcoming intense pressure to turn the ship around. Employee benefits and HR presence in Singapore almost non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI sincerely wish management and all my friends in Volex good luck. I'm sure you guys can do it! Install HR presence in Singapore office.

Good exposure and learning ground

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGroup of company on the way of cultural and technology change, improving communication tool and IT equipments.

ConsHigh amount of hiring in a short period, hence you do not know who is the person turned up beside you. HR process is a huge lag and no communication from HR to the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations, Engineering, IT and plenty division are having significant improvement however HR process still a mess, internal communication breakdown, no brand building internal nor external. Still too much work yet not enough manpower to complete, stretching all employees limit. Management should look much closer to individual employee's duties and responsibilities as we need someone to share the workload but not a one person doing several positions job.

Worked for Volex? Contribute to the Community!