Volex

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ray Walsh

Great working inter-dept relationships in Singapore Office!

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Volex full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary Remuneration is fair. Collaborations with inter-dept can be friendly, if you play the cards right. Timeline on tasks given is reasonable.

ConsTop management is shaky, but has since been entirely replaced. Business is currently facing challenges with share price tumbling. I expect forthcoming intense pressure to turn the ship around. Employee benefits and HR presence in Singapore almost non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI sincerely wish management and all my friends in Volex good luck. I'm sure you guys can do it! Install HR presence in Singapore office.

Ready, Steady, Go!

I worked at Volex full-time

Pros- Good market opportunities to grow company
- Multiple top notch customers with unbelievable patience
- Many employees with long tenure

Cons- Senior management team in London that does not have a proper level of understanding the business or the market, leading to misguided and unfortunate pursuits, actions and outcomes
- Really need to improve morale and strengthen management in the Asian factories
- Poor product quality and manufacturing processes
- Blaming Customers for Company's own internal issues and re-writing history
- "The story" always taking precedence over fixing the real issues
- Lack of investment in key fixes and constant cutting and "re-alignment" of budget items including people's pay, delaying promotions and not giving rises or bonuses whilst providing for other lesser important things financially
- Best talent exodus

Advice to Senior ManagementGo interview the customers and then re-engineer the management team, bring back good executive leadership and not fritter away what opportunities remain for this 130+ year old company. It is not yet too late though drawing nearer.

Small company, small minds

Hickory, NC

I worked at Volex

ProsSmall company, very dynamic, open to initiatives, re-building and re-branding itself, constantly changing, strong sourcing and presence in exploding business areas.

ConsSmall company mindset, short-term focus, management with no people-oriented leadership, unsustainable demand on scarce resources, legacy IT systems and processes

Volex, a shrinking organization in the USA

Hickory, NC

I worked at Volex

ProsPeople in Hickory were helpful and friendly, The insurance coverage became effective immediately and provided good coverage with reasonable premium costs.

ConsOpen office enviroment with short cubicles. No privacy to talk unless you go to a conference room. BPCS mrp system is a dinosaur to deal with. Jobs have been moved out of the US from the Hickory office to Europe and Mexico.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to do more with less people. The quallity of the work has decreased and more production problems are created.

Good exposure and learning ground

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Volex full-time for more than a year

ProsGroup of company on the way of cultural and technology change, improving communication tool and IT equipments.

ConsHigh amount of hiring in a short period, hence you do not know who is the person turned up beside you. HR process is a huge lag and no communication from HR to the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations, Engineering, IT and plenty division are having significant improvement however HR process still a mess, internal communication breakdown, no brand building internal nor external. Still too much work yet not enough manpower to complete, stretching all employees limit. Management should look much closer to individual employee's duties and responsibilities as we need someone to share the workload but not a one person doing several positions job.

Worked for Volex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volex CEO Ray Walsh. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Volex employees.