Volition Reviews

Dan Cermak

1. Best AAA Culture in the industry

Current Employee - Systems Designer
    Current Employee - Systems Designer

I have been working at Volition full-time

Pros

Culture, events, quality of life (rarely do we crunch, and not for long), great leadership, cheaper area to live.

Cons

Midwest isn't for everyone. Weather is rough in the winter. There's honestly no major con about the studio itself - it's a dream company.

Advice to Management

High-level vision holders dip into the specifics of the project's details in a way that sometimes disrupts the low-level work, but nothing majorly wrong here.

I've grown more here than I have at any previous job

Current Employee - Artist III in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Artist III in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Volition full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been here 6 months now, time to do a review. I've been growing a lot here. Management is great. Feels less 'clicky' than my last studio. I'm taken seriously in my role. People value me. The studio invests in it's core values. The studio also invests in me and I feel like there's good work life balance. Nice geeky gamer culture and plenty of people to play board games with. Strong presence at GDC and the like. You're encouraged to do side projects and attend conferences. GREAT location, middle of downtown, you're never board here. I actually like Champaign a lot and I've lived in huge west coast cities. I love it here. Low cost of living.

Cons

Because of my position I've had to do some (minimal) crunching. More than my last studio but way less than really bad crunching (80-120 hour weeks over the course of several months). If you come here you might feel pressured to crunch a week here and there even though there's no official crunch.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. That investment and personal growth is why I want to stay.

Exciting times at Volition

I have been working at Volition

Pros

Volition is full of talented and friendly people. You’ll be given the opportunity to learn, try new things and contribute. Access to management is easy and discussions are encouraged. The studio offers lots of perks including a flexible work environment. Champaign itself is a very livable college town. The size is manageable, it’s inexpensive and there’s plenty to do.

Cons

It’s the only game in town…literally. Champaign is small, so those looking for a town with a lot of game developers and big city energy will be disappointed. Since Volition is a small company, there’s not a lot of room to move up, although structure and culture changes have made a difference.

Advice to Management

The studio feels like it's still in transition, but keep at it. You're on a good path.

5. Working at Volition was an overall positive experience

Former Employee - Game Programmer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Game Programmer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Volition

Pros

- Minimal crunch - High degree of talent - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Lack of variety of types of games

Game development in the Midwest? YES!

I worked at Volition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting and fun environment Diverse group Great people

Cons

Can be long crunch hours - like any game developer

Longtime employee, very satisfied!

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Volition full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great/affordable town to raise a family with industry-competitive pay. Cool office with easy access to gyms, breweries, restaurants, park, etc and a flexible work environment to support using them. Fun coworkers and company activities. Studio leaders have a high focus on empowering employees and mentoring for career growth. Mature studio of primarily senior and experienced teammates.

Cons

Not a big city environment. Somewhat isolated from other game studios. Office floorplan can be super-confusing at first.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on new studio culture and project org ideas. Your currently stated ideas are great, so the goal is to make progress toward them as smoothly as possible.

8. Full-time Dev QA isn't paid appropriately, relies on OT for a barely livable wage.

Current Employee - QA Tester in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Volition full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great studio environment and fun atmosphere; good people. Opportunities to contribute to and improve a product. Becoming more stable with new ownership and laying off less people between projects.

Cons

Slow advancement for testers with lots of knowledge and experience, and poor pay chases good people out of the department and/or company. Ongoing exploitation of QA department, treating them like a cheap solution to throw at a problem- testers are not valued or fairly compensated.

9. Great company to work for

Current Employee - QA Tester in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Volition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people with a great work ethic. An environment that is welcoming and inclusive.

Cons

Career paths can stagnate leading some people to have to leave the company for a while to get better job titles before coming back.

10. Good first game job

Former Employee - Programmer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Volition full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning environment Strong sense of ownership of your work Easy access to upper management Area is inexpensive Flexible schedule, except during crunch.

Cons

Some departments are heavily political Area is boring--flat land, not much to do Has become a single-franchise studio Management team are more of a hindrance than a help Milestone goals are treated with relative indifference util it becomes a crisis

Advice to Management

Take earlier milestones more seriously, teach management team to become leaders that pull with the team, rather than schedule-grubbing everyone.

11. Volition is a great studio and has a lot of great people

I worked at Volition full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Innovative, Progressive, Beer

Cons

Champaign is a small city and not a lot to do for young people, great for families

RSS Feed </> Embed